PDA

View Full Version : Ravens still team to beat in AFC North!

polamalubeast
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
No team has taken more hits than the Ravens since free agency began two weeks ago.

Baltimore watched a Pro Bowl offensive lineman (guard Ben Grubbs), perhaps their grittiest player on defense (linebacker Jarret Johnson), and an underrated role player (defensive end Cory Redding) go elsewhere and has yet to sign anyone to replace them.

There's no question that the Ravens are among the biggest losers after the first wave of free agency. But it's debatable how much ground the AFC North champions have lost to the Steelers, Bengals and Browns.

At this point in the offseason, the Ravens remain the team to beat in the division. I'm not saying that. The Ravens' history is.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44858/ravens-still-team-to-beat-in-afc-north

fansince'76
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Whoa! Dyed-in-the-wool Ravens homer shilling for the Ravens! Whoda thunk it?

I'm to the point of not even opening these links if I see "ESPN," "afcnorth," and "blog" in the URL anymore, but let me take a guess at the content anyway:

Ray Ray is an ageless wonder and is still far and away the bestest LB in the NFL who wins games for them singlehandedly just by his awesomeness alone, Flacco now owns Roethlisberger, and Reed is a better player than Troy in every conceivable way, right? :coffee:

Devilsdancefloor
03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
of course hensley says teh ratbirds are the ones to beat that guy need be fired. i didnt read it once i seen who wrote it

fansince'76
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
At this point in the offseason, the Ravens remain the team to beat in the division. I'm not saying that. The Ravens' history is.

Uh, the Ravens' "history" thus far suggests this past season was an anomaly and that the Steelers regularly own their asses. :coffee:

shutdown
03-28-2012, 12:58 PM
God this guy is such a tool.

steelerdude15
03-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I had a feeling I knew who wrote it by just reading the thread title. Hey homer, get off the Ravens nuts.

SteelGhost
03-28-2012, 01:16 PM

I'm to the point of not even opening these links if I see "ESPN," "afcnorth," and "blog" in the URL anymore, but let me take a guess at the content anyway:

Ray Ray is an ageless wonder and is still far and away the bestest LB in the NFL who wins games for them singlehandedly just by his awesomeness alone, Flacco now owns Roethlisberger, and Reed is a better player than Troy in every conceivable way, right? :coffee:

Exactly what I was thinking, this tool (Hensley) is becoming the Sapp of BSPN :yuck2:

zulater
03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, this tool (Hensley) is becoming the Sapp of BSPN :yuck2:

Ditto X 2

I can't believe ESPN allows such a Ravens shill to write the North's blog.

tube517
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Let me repeat this again. Jamsion. Jackhole.

zulater
03-28-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll go on record right now and say that the Steelers will again win 10-14 regular season games, and the biggest threat to them in the division will come from the Bengals. The Bengals are more dangerous than the Ravens because they have a genuine top ten quarterback, an elite wide receiver, and a boat load of premium draft choices to address their deficiencies , such as they are. The Steelers and the Bengals will be fighting for division bragging rights for the next 5 years.

O'Malley
03-28-2012, 01:40 PM
In all fairness the Rats did win the division so they are the team to beat.... Does that mean they're the best team in the AFC North right now, no.. They do have the AFC North title, which makes them the team to beat... With that said and all the FA woes they have had, I have to agree with Zulater and say the Bengals are a bigger threat to the Steelers then the Ravens... With Bert at Qb I can not say there ever the team to beat.. Last season was an anomaly... Bet the Steelers and Bengals are going to be gunning for the Rats... They both have a score to settle and next season I believe the score will be settled..

zulater
03-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Let me repeat this again. Jamsion. Jackhole.

Hmmm may have to poach that for new signature line? :lol:

SteelGhost
03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Hensley is the guy to beat ... LOL !

ALLD
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
How long until the Rats turn into the Chargers and fade away?

TMC
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
To me, the team that won the division the previous season is always the team to beat.

XxKnightxX
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Hensley joined ESPN.com in 2011 after covering the Ravens for The Baltimore Sun for 11 years. A graduate of the University of Maryland, he lives in the Baltimore area with his wife.

Yeah sure lets hire him, Im sure he isnt biased and an actual ethical journalist who doesnt see the division from one perspective. Yeah Okay whatever.

To bother his stupid article. They wont be the team to beat, theres gonna be a lout of sour people especially between Ray Rice and Joe Flaccid whether they get the contracts that they want. And that Zone blocking scheme shit will get stopped. They turned a few heads with it, but Wilfork Single handedly shredded their scheme.

ShutDown24
03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Any team that has Joe Flacco as its quarterback will never be the team to beat.

zulater
03-28-2012, 03:16 PM
To me, the team that won the division the previous season is always the team to beat.

Of the 8 teams that won their division in 2010 only one repeated in 2011. ( Patriots) Four teams that were second in their division in 2010 went on to win the division in 2011. ( Packers, Giants, Saints, and some shit team I don't care to name)Therefore I would say the Steelers are in a better position for 2012.

shutdown
03-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Any team that has Joe Flacco as its quarterback will never be the team to beat.

choked on my water reading that, lol.

zulater
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
"At this point in the offseason, the Ravens remain the team to beat in the division. I'm not saying that. The Ravens' history is. "

Really Hensley? The Ravens history is they've never once repeated as division champions.

Since they've formatted the division in it's current form the only AFC North team who's repeated as division champ is the Steelers, who've done it twice.

SteelerEmpire
03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Yea. They swept the division last season as well as handing the Steelers a complete beat down the 1st game of the season; so as of this day and time, they are the team to beat in the division as of "right now". And it hurt typing that out.

salamander
03-28-2012, 04:55 PM
So they win their second division title in like 6 years and they're "still" the team to beat? :doh2:

Edman
03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
The Ravens won the North and swept this division doing it (As well as winning two Super Bowls). Of course they're the team to beat. No big deal or shame. But you see, we don't give a shit what the Rats are doing. We're too busy doing our way to stay competitive. We'll worry about Baltimore when the time comes.

Last year everything bounced their way. It really looked like they were Super Bowl bound but they failed, as usual. They're not getting a golden opportunity like that ever again, or at least not for a while.

I wonder what magical rally cry will get them through 2012? They dedicated their entire season to beating us last year. If they really believe they'll catch that lightning in a bottle next year, they're mistaken. Remember last time Baltimore won the Division (2006)? We all saw how that turned out.

SteelerFanInStl
03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Let them go ahead and give all of the accolades to the Ravens. I don't want them. I'd rather that we be the underdog.

O'Malley
03-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Let them go ahead and give all of the accolades to the Ravens. I don't want them. I'd rather that we be the underdog.

True that!!! They play better as underdogs anyways!!!

86WARD
03-28-2012, 07:54 PM
They are the team to beat. What's the story?

GBMelBlount
03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
They embarrassed us last year...

I hope we are better prepared this year.

tube517
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
F the Ravens. How about that?

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Austin87
03-29-2012, 05:22 AM
They embarrassed us last year...

Hopefully we return the favor.

NJarhead
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM

:rofl2:

Well, He DID fly off on a Raven while cloaked in shaving cream. :lol:

steelerdude15
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Well, He DID fly off on a Raven while cloaked in shaving cream. :lol:

I love those commercials! Especially the bear commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE6U2gUq9OA

Steeldude
03-29-2012, 11:58 AM
In all fairness the Rats did win the division so they are the team to beat.

This^

They are in fact the team to beat in the AFC North

zulater
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
This^

They are in fact the team to beat in the AFC North

It's completely irrelevant who won the division last year as to who will win it in 2012. As I've stated before only 1 of 8 division winners from 2010 repeated. Also as also previously stated, contrary to Hensley's assertion that "history is on the Ravens side", the very opposite is true being as the Ravens have never once followed up a division winning season with another the next year.

The Steelers and Bengals are every bit as much the team top beat in the AFC North as the Ravens are.

suitanim
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't even care about the ratfilth right now. Right now I want three things:

1. OG
2. NT
3. ILB

zulater
03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't even care about the ratfilth right now. Right now I want three things:

1. OG
2. NT
3. ILB

All that, and a good young safety.

Steeldude
04-01-2012, 02:02 AM
It's completely irrelevant who won the division last year as to who will win it in 2012. As I've stated before only 1 of 8 division winners from 2010 repeated. Also as also previously stated, contrary to Hensley's assertion that "history is on the Ravens side", the very opposite is true being as the Ravens have never once followed up a division winning season with another the next year.

The Steelers and Bengals are every bit as much the team top beat in the AFC North as the Ravens are.

Then I guess the Packers aren't the team to beat.

If the team that dominated the AFC North is irrelevant then so is the stat of division winners the following year.

zulater
04-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Then I guess the Packers aren't the team to beat.

If the team that dominated the AFC North is irrelevant then so is the stat of division winners the following year.

A healthy Bear team will be every bit as dangerous as the Packers. Next point?

Moose
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh-- I love the 'off-season' ! Think I'll go outside and cut grass. :)

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Right now, the Ravens are "the man" in our division.

Better O line, better defense, better run game. We have better QB and WR's. Maybe better CB's, but last I checked, we havent beat the Ravens since 2010.

zulater
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Right now, the Ravens are "the man" in our division.

Better O line, better defense, better run game. We have better QB and WR's. Maybe better CB's, but last I checked, we havent beat the Ravens since 2010.

It doesn't mean a fucking thing what happened last year. Going by that logic we should have swept the series in 2011 being as we did in 2010.

I'm glad games are decided on the field rather than with Jamison Hensley's Raven biased blogs or bullshit threads on message boards.

I'm looking forward to the Steelers having a great 2012 season.

You guys go ahead concede the division to the Ravens if you like. I wont play party to that shit though. :coffee:

Go Steelers!

Steeldude
04-03-2012, 12:45 PM
It doesn't mean a fucking thing what happened last year. Going by that logic we should have swept the series in 2011 being as we did in 2010.

I'm glad games are decided on the field rather than with Jamison Hensley's Raven biased blogs or bullshit threads on message boards.

I'm looking forward to the Steelers having a great 2012 season.

You guys go ahead concede the division to the Ravens if you like. I wont play party to that shit though. :coffee:

Go Steelers!

That's right, games are decided on the field. As of now the Ravens are the team to beat on the field. The Steelers failed to do it last year. The reigning champs are always the team to beat. It's the same as boxing. The champ is the person to beat.

No one conceded the division to the Ravens.

It doesn't mean a fucking thing what happened last year

Wow...it's a MB :grin: No reason to get so excited.

Steeldude
04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
A healthy Bear team will be every bit as dangerous as the Packers. Next point?

But they aren't the current team to beat. Next excuse?

It seems to me if the article was titled "The Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC North" then you would be here posting how the Ravens are the team to beat.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Zu, I dont see the big deal. Look at the scoreboard the last 2 times we played the Ravens. We lost. They are the team to beat and the Steelers will get at least 2 chances to do it next year. Its the great thing about sports.

Were the Steelers better than the Broncos last year? I would say yes, but the Scoreboard is the ultimate judge.

zulater
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
But they aren't the current team to beat. Next excuse?

It seems to me if the article was titled "The Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC North" then you would be here posting how the Ravens are the team to beat.

What excuse?

Everyone's 0-0 right now. They're all on equal footing and will be until they start playing the games.

I don't come here to worship at the alter of the Ravens. You want to Green Boy help yourself, but I'd sooner give an enema to a cranky alligator than sing the Rat filth's praises.

Steeldude
04-03-2012, 06:41 PM
What excuse?

Everyone's 0-0 right now. They're all on equal footing and will be until they start playing the games.

I don't come here to worship at the alter of the Ravens. You want to Green Boy help yourself, but I'd sooner give an enema to a cranky alligator than sing the Rat filth's praises.

It seems you are deliberately missing the point. No one is worshiping the Ravens by saying they are the team to beat in the AFC North. You need to relax. It's a MB and you get this worked up over it.

tube517
04-03-2012, 08:36 PM
All this arguing about a division title means nothing. All I care about is that silver shiny trophy that becomes sticky after you win it. Division titles mean jack shit.

zulater
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
All this arguing about a division title means nothing. All I care about is that silver shiny trophy that becomes sticky after you win it. Division titles mean jack shit.

Exactly!

Edman
04-03-2012, 11:48 PM
This thread went on for too many posts. Thank goodness the Steelers org. don't feel the same way some of you do.

I'm not worried about the Ravens and whatever once-in-a-while division title they win. I'm worried about how the Steelers will manage to stay competitive form now and in the future not just against the Ravens, but the rest of the North and the AFC. The Ravens? Seriously? I know we all hate them and all, but they're not the goal. Just do what we do to continue winning and worry about the Morons (or anybody else) when the time comes to face them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
In order to win the game, players first have to beat the man in front of them.

Likewise, the Steelers should look to win the division first. I m sure there is a Tomlinism about that somewhere

Steeldude
04-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Division titles mean jack shit.

So then why do they try to win the division if it doesn't mean anything? You should write the Rooneys and inform them of your find :thumbsup:

tube517
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
So then why do they try to win the division if it doesn't mean anything? You should write the Rooneys and inform them of your find :thumbsup:

You can go get Chuck Knox to coach then. He won plenty of division titles. Oh and pick up a division title terrible towel. So Many to pick from.

Dino 6 Rings
04-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Big Fcking Yawn...they are always the "team to beat" by the talking head Ray Lewis slob nobbers...history...lets look at the last 10 years in the AFC North...

since 2001, champions
Steelers
Ravens
Steelers
Bengals
Ravens
Steelers
Steelers
Bengals
Steelers
Ravens

so in 10 years...the Ravens won it 3 times, the Bengals 2 and the Steelers 5...I suppose you don't have to know how to do fcking math problems to become a "know it all writer"

Why the HELL do I have to put this up every freaking season?

zulater
04-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Big Fcking Yawn...they are always the "team to beat" by the talking head Ray Lewis slob nobbers...history...lets look at the last 10 years in the AFC North...

since 2001, champions
Steelers
Ravens
Steelers
Bengals
Ravens
Steelers
Steelers
Bengals
Steelers
Ravens

so in 10 years...the Ravens won it 3 times, the Bengals 2 and the Steelers 5...I suppose you don't have to know how to do fcking math problems to become a "know it all writer"

Why the HELL do I have to put this up every freaking season?

Great post Dino!

Steeldude
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
You can go get Chuck Knox to coach then. He won plenty of division titles. Oh and pick up a division title terrible towel. So Many to pick from.

So why is it every team tries to win their division if it means nothing? Can you explain or are you going to dodge again by bringing up a coach who has been out of the NFL for about 18 years...lol?

Have you written a letter to Rooney yet telling him that winning the division means nothing?

tube517
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
So why is it every team tries to win their division if it means nothing? Can you explain or are you going to dodge again by bringing up a coach who has been out of the NFL for about 18 years...lol?

Have you written a letter to Rooney yet telling him that winning the division means nothing?

Naw, won't waste any of my time. I don't hustle enough.

Steeldude
04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Naw, won't waste any of my time.

Don't run away and hide behind a weak excuse. You wanted to enter this discussion. Now that you are confronted with a question you run away. So why is it every team tries to win their division if it means nothing?

X-Terminator
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Winning the division only guarantees you a spot in the playoffs. Beyond that, it don't mean a thing if you don't get that ring.

steelerdude15
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Winning the division only guarantees you a spot in the playoffs. Beyond that, it don't mean a thing if you don't get that ring.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Steeldude
04-04-2012, 10:34 PM

Then winning the division does mean something. Also, winning your division guarantees you either a 1st-round bye or home field advantage in the first round.

Beyond that, it don't mean a thing if you don't get that ring

Yep.

ShutDown24
04-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Steeldude, are you a closet Ravens fan? :chuckle:

Count Steeler
04-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Steeldude, are you a closet Ravens fan? :chuckle:

I don't think many of us would take issue, if following a division crown by the Steelers, that we would be called the "team to beat". Defending champs get some respect, but in the Ravens case, respect has left the building. Yes, they are the defending AFC North Champs. It is our job, this year, to make them chumps again.

tube517
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Don't run away and hide behind a weak excuse. You wanted to enter this discussion. Now that you are confronted with a question you run away. So why is it every team tries to win their division if it means nothing?

Don't run away? LOL. Whatever. I said division titles don't mean anything because at the end of the day, they want Lombardi trophies, not division title banners or rushing titles in the front office. Go ask the 1997 or 2001 or 2004 teams what the division title meant to them? Or better yet, YOU write a letter to them and ask. This franchise is about winning Super Bowls. Period.

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
why are so many people offended...we got our asses swept, of course the ravens are the team to beat

Steeldude
04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't run away? LOL. Whatever. I said division titles don't mean anything because at the end of the day, they want Lombardi trophies, not division title banners or rushing titles in the front office. Go ask the 1997 or 2001 or 2004 teams what the division title meant to them? Or better yet, YOU write a letter to them and ask. This franchise is about winning Super Bowls. Period.

You still haven't answered the question. Why do teams try to win their division if it doesn't mean anything? Nobody said or implied it's not about winning SBs. Using your logic one can say the draft doesn't mean anything because, at the end of the day, they want Lombardi trophies.

What you said was, "Division titles mean jack shit". That's completely false. Division titles mean a lot when trying to get to the SB.

Go ask the 1997 or 2001 or 2004 teams what the division title meant to them?

It meant a lot to them because it gives you a playoff berth and a 1st round bye or home field advantage in the first round. So again, why do teams try to win their division if it doesn't mean anything?

Steeldude
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
why are so many people offended...we got our asses swept, of course the ravens are the team to beat

I have no idea. Hopefully this season we can return the favor

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I have no idea. Hopefully this season we can return the favor

yeah definitely. and of course trying to win the division is a pointless facade when we dont win it, but it's a huge victory when we win it :lol:. Sometimes i tire of our own fans arrogance, i know the same goes with every fan base, but still. You would think a fanbase of such a successful franchise would know better

zulater
04-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Because that's a last year mentality.

And besides I don't think the Ravens are the team to beat. If Ben and Haley mesh well early, and the offensive line gets a little luck on the health front I think the Steelers have too much offense for the Ravens. Therefore my belief is that in 2012 the Steelers will be the team to beat. So why the hell do I have to conform to your defeatist attitude when I genuinely believe the Steelers are the team to beat?

zulater
04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
yeah definitely. and of course trying to win the division is a pointless facade when we dont win it, but it's a huge victory when we win it :lol:. Sometimes i tire of our own fans arrogance, i know the same goes with every fan base, but still. You would think a fanbase of such a successful franchise would know better

It's not arrogance if you're right. Plus contrary to Hensley's claims history is in fact on the Steelers side. Since the start of the new millennium, only four times have the Steelers gone into a season as a division also ran. In each instance the Steelers would go on to win the division that year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Because that's a last year mentality.

And besides I don't think the Ravens are the team to beat. If Ben and Haley mesh well early, and the offensive line gets a little luck on the health front I think the Steelers have too much offense for the Ravens. Therefore my belief is that in 2012 the Steelers will be the team to beat. So why the hell do I have to conform to your defeatist attitude when I genuinely believe the Steelers are the team to beat?

It's not a defeatist attitude, we did nothing to prove we're the team to beat. In the offseason before the 2011 season, the vast majority of us (me included) thought the Ravens had lost too many players, gotten too old, and just not had much success with younger players leading to the conclusion that we should be division favorites. Now look what happened. We are a brash bunch sometimes.

zulater
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
It's not a defeatist attitude, we did nothing to prove we're the team to beat. In the offseason before the 2011 season, the vast majority of us (me included) thought the Ravens had lost too many players, gotten too old, and just not had much success with younger players leading to the conclusion that we should be division favorites. Now look what happened. We are a brash bunch sometimes.

They had a better 2011 than we did. That's all I'm willing to concede. And why the hell would anyone want to concede anything more than that?

The Ravens haven't done anything to prove to me that they're the team to beat in 2012. New year, new team's, clean slate.

Psycho Ward 86
04-05-2012, 02:59 PM
The Ravens haven't done anything to prove to me that they're the team to beat in 2012.

neither have we

zulater
04-05-2012, 03:51 PM
neither have we

Fine. Let's let 2012 write itself then instead of anointing champions before the fact.

Count Steeler
04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Fine. Let's let 2012 write itself then instead of anointing champions before the fact.

But I thought the Power Rankings dictated division champions. We really could save a lot of injuries that way. :sarcasm:

NCSteeler
04-06-2012, 05:47 AM
geesh whens the draft

ShutDown24
04-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Did you guys know Jerricho Cotchery was born was six fingers on one hand?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2012, 09:20 AM

I think some posters think worrying about a div title is a defeatist attitude. The reality is that its a stepping stone.

If you dont win your division, then you are a wild card team.... if you even make the playoffs. Rather than starting the season looking for a Lombardi trophy, Coach Tomlin (and most other coaches) focus on

1. beating their opponent this week
2 defeating their division rivals
3. Winning the division and getting a home playoff game.
4. securing home field advantage in the playoffs
5. Getting to the Super Bowl.

So, is the Division title the end goal? No. Is it important in helping you get into the playoffs and to an AFC Championship game and Super Bowl. Yes, definately.

SteelMember
04-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Greg Williams was quoted as saying the Ravens are definitely the team to beat...

In the head...
In the chin...
In the knee...
In the ankle...

ba, dum, dum.

:chuckle:

:noidea:

Psycho Ward 86
04-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I think some posters think worrying about a div title is a defeatist attitude. The reality is that its a stepping stone.

If you dont win your division, then you are a wild card team.... if you even make the playoffs. Rather than starting the season looking for a Lombardi trophy, Coach Tomlin (and most other coaches) focus on

So, is the Division title the end goal? No. Is it important in helping you get into the playoffs and to an AFC Championship game and Super Bowl. Yes, definately.

Thank you, that's what i was going for

fansince'76
04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
geesh whens the draft

This.

zulater
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM

Yeah the division title is clearly a season starting goal. The 2012 division title and beyond is what the Steelers seek. 2011 no longer has any relevance in that discussion. Therefore I refuse to sign on to the sentiment that the Ravens are the team to beat.

I'll even take it one farther, and get into why this is a bit of a hot button topic for me.

I can't stand Jamison Hensley. I think he's a Raven suck up and has no business writing the AFC North blog due to his clear and evident bias towards that team.. And I'm not someone who by nature is predisposed against ESPN. I used to enjoy the AFC North blog when James Walker used to write it. I enjoy many of the analyst's and columnists from that network in fact. Guys like Dilfer, Golic, Shlereth, Clayton, etc.. I think cut it straight down the middle and even when they express an anti Steeler opinion I give it some stock, because I know they're just doing their job and telling you what they believe.

In other words I'm not that guy who thinks everyone hates his team. I just think Hensley is a smarmy big headed Baltimore douche who takes delight in promoting his boys in Purple and deflating the guys in black and gold.

Now to this specific column. Not only I do I think he makes a faulty premise. ( to me there is no clear cut favorite in the AFC North for 2012 ) He also supports his premise with an unsupported claim of fact. To wit,.." History is on the Ravens side". To which I ask what history? The Ravens history? The Ravens have never repeated as division champs. Period. Steelers history? The last four times the Steelers entered a season as a divisional also ran they went on to win the division that year. (2000 no playoffs- 2001 Division champs 2003-2004 div winner, 2006-2007 div winner, 2009-2010 div winner.) That division winners normally repeat? Of 2010's 8 division winners only one won their division in 2011 ( Patriots, remember the Bears won the NFC North in 2010)

So where the fuck's this "history" that Hensley speaks of?

You guys want to play along with the Baltimoron don't let me stop you. But you ask me to sign on to this bullshit , I'll just let my little friend here do the talking :upyours:

fansince'76
04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
I can't stand Jamison Hensley. I think he's a Raven suck up and has no business writing the AFC North blog due to his clear and evident bias towards that team..

This is my issue in a nutshell as well. They need to bring James Walker back. Hensley wears his Ravens homerism on his sleeve and his blog is unreadable because of it, IMO. If I wanted to read slobbering Ravens homerism, I'd start reading the Baltimore Sun.

O'Malley
04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Boy those Ravens were tough last year:stirthepot:.. I think they're the team to beat this year, since they won the division last year:behindsofa:.. What does everybody else think?:pop2:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Boy those Ravens were tough last year:stirthepot:.. I think they're the team to beat this year, since they won the division last year:behindsofa:.. What does everybody else think?:pop2:

This. :rofl2:

Steeldude
09-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Yep, the Ravens are the team to beat in the AFC North.

Psycho Ward 86
10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Yep, the Ravens are the team to beat in the AFC North.

but conceding to that makes us pessimistic with a defeatist attitude :lol:

Steeldude
10-01-2012, 01:57 AM
but conceding to that makes us pessimistic with a defeatist attitude :lol:

Oops, I forgot. I meant to say the Houston Oilers are the team to beat.

Moose
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I agree with most said in above threads. My thoughts though agree with the thread title, because the ratbirds won division, they are the team to beat, same as the Super Bowl champs are Super Bowl champs until the next team takes over. However in our division, unless things drastically change with coach LeBeau and the defense, I still see a 7 - 9 record, maybe 8-8. We are losing to teams we should be beating again (Oakland comes to mind) which is going to come back and haunt us. Cleveland is playing good at times and I definitely don't see this game being a gimme. The Bungholes are playing under the radar right now with a good QB and a damn good WR and with our CB's this team could beat us twice. And say what you will about the ratbirds and their 'unibrow', again a team that could beat us twice. Coach LeBeau has to change the defense calls, do away with the damn cushion the CB gives, get in some young asses playing their positions. This is going to be a hard season to watch....in my opinion. GO STEELERS !!

Crow-Magnon
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
At 3-1, the Ravens are the team to beat. No doubt about that!

They are also a team that can be beat. The defense is below Ravens standard for sure. No one is taking up any of Suggs' slack in the sack department, the DL and LB are having their share of woes stopping the run, and Cary Williams is, well...he's Cary Williams. Next game is at Arrowhead against the Chiefs (never an easy game), then home against the Cowboys and then before the bye, away at Reliant and the Texans. A 5-2 record at the bye would be telling. So would 4-3 or 3-4.

Steelers play at home against the Iggles, at LP Field against the Titans and at Paul Brown Stadium against the Bengals. 4-2. 3-3 or 2-4. Guess that's why they play 'em, huh? Face it- as fans, we are spoiled. A 9-7 season sounds like a dismal failure to us. Cleveland will kill for that right now. Hell....so would the Saints!

fansince'76
10-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Any particular reason this was thread was bumped, other than to gloat about the Steelers being 1-2? :noidea:

Oh, and Hensley is still a hack.

tube517
10-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Any particular reason this was thread was bumped, other than to gloat about the Steelers being 1-2? :noidea:

The season ended in the preseason. Not sure why either. :chuckle:

Hensley is spokesman for Summer's Eve

suitanim
10-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Look who bumped it. That tells you all you need to know...

Steeldude
10-01-2012, 03:34 PM

I looked over the entire thread and others. I have not seen one person gloating over the Steelers being 1-2. I do see the rah-rah fans finally realizing that the Ravens are a good team and the team to beat in the AFC North, if not the entire AFC. It's amazing how reality brings the rah-rah fans crashing back down to reality.

Any reason why any thread is bumped daily? The thread serves a point as a reminder that the Steelers are not invincible and there are teams who need to be reckoned with.

fansince'76
10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I looked over the entire thread and others. I have not seen one person gloating over the Steelers being 1-2. I do see the rah-rah fans finally realizing that the Ravens are a good team and the team to beat in the AFC North, if not the entire AFC. It's amazing how reality brings the rah-rah fans crashing back down to reality.

Any reason why any thread is bumped daily? The thread serves a point as a reminder that the Steelers are not invincible and there are teams who need to be reckoned with.

Funny, but it seems to me that it smacks of a perpetual doom-and-gloomer's attempt to smear the noses of said "rah-rah fans" in the fact that the Steelers are currently 1-2, especially since it laid dormant for almost 6 months until it got resurrected today.

I also didn't see anyone claim the Steelers were "invincible." What I did see were people challenging the notion forwarded by the Ravens uberhomer Hensley saying the Ravens' "history" suggests they're the team to beat, when it's the Steelers who have won 5 division championships in the last 10 years while nobody else in the division has won more than 3.

As for reality, here's some more: the Ravens are one scab ref-aided win at home and another squeaker at home against a winless team away from being 1-3 themselves. Let's see what they do on the road where they're 0-1 so far. If we'd have won two home games in a row the way the Ravens have won their last two, especially barely squeaking by a woeful Browns team with a rookie QB who's damn near 30, the doom-and-gloomers would be pitching a fit over it like we had lost anyway.