PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben needs to assume more leadership

polamalubeast
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is a two-time captain. He's led the Steelers to last-minute victories, and he's led them to the Super Bowl.

But the Steelers need more from him this season. They need him to be the leader.

Getting under the salary cap meant cutting three captains: James Farrior on defense, Hines Ward on offense, and Arnaz Battle on special teams. The Steelers also said goodbye to veterans like Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke.

"I can't sit here and say, 'This is our leader,'" Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "We're looking for that right now."

The Steelers need to look right at Roethlisberger. He has to be the unquestioned leader of the offense, and the face of the franchise. Just like there's no disputing the leader for the Patriots or the Broncos. That's Tom Brady's team. That's Peyton Manning's team. The Steelers now have to become Ben Roethlisberger's team.

Roethlisberger has been a leader on the field. He's a winner who has guided the Steelers to 80 regular-season victories in 113 games. He's helped Pittsburgh to 20 fourth-quarter comebacks. And he's done this at times while playing with broken bones and playing on one leg.

But there have been signs that Roethlisberger hasn't been the most popular player in the team's locker room.

After his second sexual assault allegation in less than a year, he wasn't voted to be a captain by his teammates in 2010. Some suggested this was an indication that he needed to earn back the trust of his teammates.

It also raised some eyebrows when the Steelers players surprisingly chose receiver-returner Antonio Brown over Roethlisberger as the team's Most Valuable Player last season.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44764/big-ben-needs-to-assume-more-leadership

shutdown
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
It also raised some eyebrows when the Steelers players surprisingly chose receiver-returner Antonio Brown over Roethlisberger as the team's Most Valuable Player last season.

Since it is that lonely time of season, I often find myself watching whatever it is out there Steeler related. Recently I was watching a whole bunch of SoundFX videos from NFL Network where Ben or Tomlin were wired for sound as well as indepth game replays where they que to the sidelines and you can hear the coaches an players.

What stands out to be about Ben is his personality. I have no idea why it rubs me the wrong way, like he just seems like a snob, like an unenjoyable person to be around.

Even talking to Tomlin at one point on the sideline, Tomlin was like "if you stay clean i'll keep you out there" during a blowout game. The way Ben responded to him came off to me like "who are you to say when i can play", it was just snide and condescending. Tomlin even makes it evident when he replies "im just trying to have a conversation with you." Sure we downplay it with the age old saying "well he just wants to play", but to me I find it times that Ben is just hard to like as a person. (not as an athlete, don't get me wrong dudes brilliant on the field)

I don't know, it just makes sense to me why folks don't rally around him as a leader. We all have leaders in our life, in the work place, in families, etc.. We know the person that we like to rally behind and put our effort for, Ben just doesn't seem like that type of guy. From everything i've seen from him on tape and from folks around him, to me his personality just doesnt sit well with me.

What he makes up for it is his toughness and how clutch he is. So what he lacks in personality he definitely makes up with on what he puts out on the field.

So overall maybe that's all you need?

suitanim
03-27-2012, 01:40 PM
I've always believed that Ben had an ego problem. But most of these dudes probably do. Probably also makes them play better...

shutdown
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I've always believed that Ben had an ego problem. But most of these dudes probably do. Probably also makes them play better...

Yeah, that's why I disagree when people say he needs to be a leader in other ways. If that is not the kind of person he is, then he just isnt.

However, dudes a beast on the field. And when someone is that tough, and that clutch, its just as easy to rally around that guy as it is to someone who says all the right things.

steel striker
03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
I can see why people would question his leadership skills but, you can't say he is not one of the toughest qb's ever. We all know his play on te field speaks for itself. I have faith in Ben that he can be that leader this team needs.

SteelGhost
03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
This guy (Hensley) has to much free time :chuckle:

Count Steeler
03-27-2012, 04:45 PM
But Arians understood him.

steelerdude15
03-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Didn't even read the article knowing it came from ESPN and that moron that wrote it. I really wish the Ravens, their fans, etc would get the Steelers out of their heads.... o wait, no I don't. :chuckle:

SMR
03-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Didn't even read the article knowing it came from ESPN and that moron that wrote it. I really wish the Ravens, their fans, etc would get the Steelers out of their heads.... o wait, no I don't. :chuckle:

LOL.

Seriously, the Ravens' (even EX-Ravens) jealously is gettin' uglier and uglier....

ALLD
03-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Considering most of the other locker room leaders were cut, it would be appropriate for BB to step up.