PDA

View Full Version : Steelers move to address leadership void after losing Farrior, Ward

polamalubeast
03-27-2012, 10:54 AM
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — It is impossible to quantify, yet ill-advised to ignore.

That is why leadership was taken into account before the Steelers released longtime captains James Farrior and Hines Ward as well as Aaron Smith, another veteran that commanded respect from his teammates.

It is also why the Steelers' anticipation of what happens off the field may rival the competition that takes place on it leading up to the 2012 season.

"It will be interesting to see whose team this becomes because James Farrior was the team leader, not just the defensive leader, so we'll see who steps up," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said. "To me it's wide open, but it's something you can never predict because you never know who is going to show up when it's really required."

That is not the only reason why leadership looms as such an X-factor with the Steelers.

Turnover may be inevitable in a league where the average career span is less than four years, but the Steelers' offseason purge cost them three captains.

Read more: Steelers move to address leadership void after losing Farrior, Ward - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788476.html#ixzz1qKiUYCvJ

steelerdude15
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I hope it's Ben. Even though he is a leader, I'd like to see him as team captain.

Pristas
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Woodley or Cam do it!

SteelMember
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Although not as vocal, I think Troy is a great leader. More the lead by example type.

If we're looking for someone to vocalize... Clark always seems to have something to say. :rolleyes:
Not necessarily always good, but guys like Porter loved to hear themselves more than others anyway. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2012, 09:09 PM
interesting to see where some of our more vocal leaders will come from. Clark most certainly will be one. Maybe Woodley??

Steeltreal
03-27-2012, 10:25 PM
A. B. 84

steelerdude15
03-27-2012, 10:27 PM
interesting to see where some of our more vocal leaders will come from. Clark most certainly will be one. Maybe Woodley??

I'd like to see Heath Miller become one.

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2012, 10:29 PM
I'd like to see Heath Miller become one.

he kind of is already, he was a captain this season or last season wasnt he? Im talking about the "Rah-rah" guys though, we need guys who can do that vocally, and not just on the field

ShutDown24
03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
A. B. 84

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too. All this talk about a lack of leadership. I don't see it. Antonio Brown is going to be the leader of the offense.

And on defense I don't see a void of leaders. Clark, Troy, Ike, Keisel... I think Heyward will turn into a leader when his time comes...

Compared to most rosters, our team is stacked with leadership. Someone will step up. Someone always does.

The Duke
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
he kind of is already, he was a captain this season or last season wasnt he? Im talking about the "Rah-rah" guys though, we need guys who can do that vocally, and not just on the field

yeah, I'm sure Timmons is also a great leader by example, but he and Heath are too quiet for that vocal leader role like Farrior and Hines

Count Steeler
03-28-2012, 05:02 AM
For the players to vote Brown MVP last year speaks volumes. He is my first choice.

zulater
03-28-2012, 05:28 AM
Twice Tomlin mentioned Brett Keisel’s name when we asked him if he thought there might be some concern with the leadership drain from the recent cuts of longtime veterans.
“here is cause for concern there, but there is also some excitement. It’s a changing of the guard. We are at the void of some leaders that we’ve had for an awesome run.
“Some guys are going to have to step up in that regard, but the more I think about it – and I’ve had a lot of time to think about it – it has already kind of evolved. It already has. I think it has to a degree the last several years with guys like Brett Keisel ascending within the group. Guys really respect his body of work and his approach to the business. And so have some others stepped up.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115546-ed-maybe-lewis-isnt-favorite-to-replace-gay

Merchant
03-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Not worried about it. We got a solid veteran group. Someone will step up on both sides of the ball.