PDA

View Full Version : Browns shouldn't trade down from No. 4

polamalubeast
03-26-2012, 01:51 PM
The Browns shouldn't trade down from the fourth overall pick. In fact, they shouldn't even be thinking it.

But unfortunately, the Browns are talking about it.

"We're most likely going to stay at No. 4 and we know we'll get a really good player there," Browns general manager Tom Heckert told the Cleveland Plain Dealer at the NFL owners meetings. "But there's about five guys we really like, so we would consider trading down -- but probably only to five, six, seven or eight."

He stressed "why not pick up some extra picks if you can get a guy you like a few spots back."

Yes, you can gain more picks by trading down. The problem is, you lose your shot at one of the coveted offensive playmakers in the draft.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44724/browns-shouldnt-trade-down-from-no-4

suitanim
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I disagree. The very top draft picks are so OVERvalued that you can literally pick up 2 or even 3 really quality guys just by sliding a few spots.

Count Steeler
03-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Let's trade our 3 compensatory 7th round picks for it. DeCastro should be available.

tube517
03-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Let's trade our 3 compensatory 7th round picks for it. DeCastro should be available.

:heh: Wait, we could lose our chance at the next Dallas Baker!

7willBheaven
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM

If only trading comp picks was allowed, haha!

Anyways...if there are THAT many guys they'd take then why not trade down a few spots and still get one of them. The only way I wouldnt trade down is if there was like 1-2 guys you had to have then you take him...but if any of 5 or so players will work and you'd be happy with then trade down and pick up some extra picks (especially a team like the Browns can use all the picks they can get).

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I've settled on Richardson as the pick.

He seems to have a good attitude, and is a good hard nosed runner, someone who would fair well in the AFC North's style of play. If we draft him, I damn well expect him to not be scared of our two biggest rivals and meet them both head on in fact. If he's as good as say a Peterson, LT, etc as being described, I also feel that he could help turn around this franchise much like those guys were able to do. I also feel that having him would take a lot of heat off of McCoy and allow the offense to possibly open up, over last year, where the Browns were playing scrubs at the position after Hillis went mental.

I've actually been itching for a good running-back for a long time now. Believe me, watching you guys run the Bus on us a few years back, pretty much filled me with a lot of envy. :)

I'm disappointed that we couldn't get RG3, simply because I think, in order to be a team that's a contender year in and year out, You have to flat out be able to build an awesome all around team with a so-so QB, or get a franchise/pro bowl level caliber player to put in that position. The Browns clearly don't have any knowledge in this regard as to how to build a successful team that year and year out drafts solid players and is able to have them step in at a moments notice, much like you guys, the Rats, the Pats, and a few others. And of course again, all but one of those teams (the rats) have an elite franchise QB.

Trading down is a mistake. Unless, of course the Browns get offered a deal that would make Ditka's trade for Ricky Williams seem minor in comparison.

Tannehill is also a mistake. The Browns need to get an elite player with this position, because, well, we don't have any of those. And they also need a player that they can plug in, and immediately can start from day one. Tannehill seems so raw, that him going here would just result in a failure of epic proportions.

ALLD
04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
If the Browns draft Richardson they could actually go 8-8 as long as he remains healthy. If the Stains screw it up, then they will be looking for a new GM and coach.

ShutDown24
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I've settled on Richardson as the pick.

He seems to have a good attitude, and is a good hard nosed runner, someone who would fair well in the AFC North's style of play. If we draft him, I damn well expect him to not be scared of our two biggest rivals and meet them both head on in fact. If he's as good as say a Peterson, LT, etc as being described, I also feel that he could help turn around this franchise much like those guys were able to do. I also feel that having him would take a lot of heat off of McCoy and allow the offense to possibly open up, over last year, where the Browns were playing scrubs at the position after Hillis went mental.

I've actually been itching for a good running-back for a long time now. Believe me, watching you guys run the Bus on us a few years back, pretty much filled me with a lot of envy. :)

I'm disappointed that we couldn't get RG3, simply because I think, in order to be a team that's a contender year in and year out, You have to flat out be able to build an awesome all around team with a so-so QB, or get a franchise/pro bowl level caliber player to put in that position. The Browns clearly don't have any knowledge in this regard as to how to build a successful team that year and year out drafts solid players and is able to have them step in at a moments notice, much like you guys, the Rats, the Pats, and a few others. And of course again, all but one of those teams (the rats) have an elite franchise QB.

Trading down is a mistake. Unless, of course the Browns get offered a deal that would make Ditka's trade for Ricky Williams seem minor in comparison.

Tannehill is also a mistake. The Browns need to get an elite player with this position, because, well, we don't have any of those. And they also need a player that they can plug in, and immediately can start from day one. Tannehill seems so raw, that him going here would just result in a failure of epic proportions.

Good points. I'm guessing this is the popular opinion around Cleveland.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Good points. I'm guessing this is the popular opinion around Cleveland.

There's been a few voices shouting for tannehill, but that's like 2% of the fanbase/media

it's reading like this.

1. Richardson
2. Blackmon
3. Claiborne
4. Kalil (our right side of the line is god awful)
5. Trade-Down
6. Floyd
7. Tannehill.

ShutDown24
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
There's been a few voices shouting for tannehill, but that's like 2% of the fanbase/media

it's reading like this.

1. Richardson
2. Blackmon
3. Claiborne
4. Kalil (our right side of the line is god awful)
5. Trade-Down
6. Floyd
7. Tannehill.

I like Tannehill. I don't think taking him at 4 would be a stretch. But I don't think Cleveland is a good situation for him. Then again, he probably won't be drafted into a good situation anyway. But my point is, with the rather unproven staff the Browns have, I would have major questions about letting them develop a quarterback. The last couple of times the team tried that ownership got burned. I think the correct play is selecting Richardson at 4, then Adams or whoever with the pick at number 22. Maybe pick up a Weeden or Cousins in the second round and let Shurmur & co. work on a quarterback that way. Then if Holmgren and his regime is outted, you still have some nice pieces to put around the eventual QB.

Rodwoodsonwasprettycool
04-16-2012, 09:58 PM
I like Tannehill. I don't think taking him at 4 would be a stretch. But I don't think Cleveland is a good situation for him. Then again, he probably won't be drafted into a good situation anyway. But my point is, with the rather unproven staff the Browns have, I would have major questions about letting them develop a quarterback. The last couple of times the team tried that ownership got burned. I think the correct play is selecting Richardson at 4, then Adams or whoever with the pick at number 22. Maybe pick up a Weeden or Cousins in the second round and let Shurmur & co. work on a quarterback that way. Then if Holmgren and his regime is outted, you still have some nice pieces to put around the eventual QB.

I could see him succeeding in a place like Miami, who probably is not in more of a rush to regain relevancy, and would allow him to probably sit back for more than 4 games. There's rumors Philly is interested too, and that would probably be his most ideal landing spot.

If he comes to Cleveland though, he's going to have to start right away in order for the front office justify that pick, with absolutely nothing around him. An average RB, No WR, and only an average defense to carry through him games. He's too raw for that.

Me personally? I'd take a chance with Russell Wilson in the 3rd-5th rounds, and keep trying to build the offense up with the earlier picks. Wait a year, see if McCoy can give it one more shot through the first 12 games or so. Give the last 4 to Wilson. and if none of those guys show anything.well..give it another try next year in the draft. Maybe they can land someone like Barkley.

st33lersguy
04-17-2012, 01:24 AM
They should stay put at 4 and draft Richardson. He could help carry the offense and put less pressure on McCoy/whoever else is starting