PDA

View Full Version : Another Hole to Fill in the Defense.....

katmandu
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Ok, Now with William Gay gone to the Birds (Cardinals).

How do the Steeler's now address this need in the Secondary ?

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Did anyone really think he was staying?

Next man up. Allen and Brown should more than be able to handle nickel between them. Draft a guy late and develop him. That gives us five and we can find the other corner on the PS or free agency.

katmandu
03-25-2012, 11:53 AM
I copied/pasted SCSTILLER's response (from another William Gay thread).

Re: William Gay gone to West Coast Steelers....
How does this leave us in the secondary? Are the young bucks ready to step up? Do we pursue another CB in free agency (likely not), do we draft another group of CB's? I personally am not too upset about Gay leaving, but I do worry how our secondary is going to look in 2012.

katmandu
03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
we can find the other corner on the PS or free agency.Who would be a likely candidate in FA that the Steelers would be willing to spend money on ?

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Who would be a likely candidate in FA that the Steelers would be willing to spend money on ?

Guys that won't cost much?

Maybe someone like a Byron Westbrook, Greg Toler, John Wilhite, Cletis Gordon?

I'm more inclined to think the team selects a guy in rounds 4 - 6 and lets him compete with McFadden/Rolle/Smith in camp rather than bringing someone else in, but who knows.

Can anyone confirm if we still have Anthony Madison under contract? I've seen conflicting reports on that. Madison is underrated as well.

Psycho Ward 86
03-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Next man up. Allen and Brown should more than be able to handle nickel between them.

what would lead you to be confident in them at all? Because they played great special teams?

Steeltreal
03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
If we don't pick anyone up in FA then we could gain a 3rd/4th round compensatory pick next year. He was a starter

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
what would lead you to be confident in them at all? Because they played great special teams?

So what are you suggesting, we re-sign every player who doesn't have a proven backup? You can't be afraid to play the young guys. You spent the draft pick on them and have developed them. You need to trust your evaluation and coaching and roll with it.

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 12:46 PM

If we lived by this thinking Lambert would be on his 14th contract and would still be a starting linebacker.

Psycho Ward 86
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
So what are you suggesting, we re-sign every player who doesn't have a proven backup?

Lol we've been doing that for a long time for young players in the prime of their career like William Gay.

And you never answered my question :)

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm not too worried about Gay leaving. Our CBs from last years draft should fit in perfectly.

XxKnightxX
03-25-2012, 01:13 PM
If we lived by this thinking Lambert would be on his 14th contract and would still be a starting linebacker.

And Joe Greene would be holding back Casey Hampton from Starting.

pepsyman1
03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
How can you be that concerned about losing a cornerback who was so regularly burned? What's the worst that happens? His replacement plays as bad? Lol. Gay sucked, any change is an improvement.

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Lol we've been doing that for a long time for young players in the prime of their career like William Gay.

And you never answered my question :)

The prime of his career??? If William Gay is in the prime of his career he'll be out of the league by 2014. He played well last year, but why the hell would you re-sign a guy who has represented nothing but mediocrity throughout his career? Rewarding average play? Yeah, the Steelers have been doing that for years.

What have Brown and Allen done to show they deserve Gay's spot? Nothing! They are second year players who didn't get much playing time last year. But do you think the team just drafted them for shits and giggles? Both players have more upside than Gay from a physical standpoint. Why wouldn't you take a chance on improving your depth chart by letting younger, cheaper and probably better corners play?

Your argument is we should sign Gay because his backups haven't "proved" anything, right? What happens if we re-sign Joey Porter because Harrison/Timmons hadn't "proved" anything to that point in their careers?

Your fundamental argument would make so much more sense if Gay had been a quality starter for the last three years. But he hasn't. He was average when at his best.

tube517
03-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Why is this some type of surprise or shock? They didn't show any major interest in re-signing him. This is the Steeler machine at work. The guys they draft, develop and watch as rookies and then take over when the starter leaves. IF they wanted him, he would've been signed. Maybe we should've never let Mel Blount retire and re-signed him to a 50 year contract. J.T. Thomas should've never been moved to safety so we should've kept him.

Psycho Ward 86
03-25-2012, 03:25 PM
The prime of his career??? If William Gay is in the prime of his career he'll be out of the league by 2014. He played well last year, but why the hell would you re-sign a guy who has represented nothing but mediocrity throughout his career? Rewarding average play? Yeah, the Steelers have been doing that for years.

What have Brown and Allen done to show they deserve Gay's spot? Nothing! They are second year players who didn't get much playing time last year. But do you think the team just drafted them for shits and giggles? Both players have more upside than Gay from a physical standpoint. Why wouldn't you take a chance on improving your depth chart by letting younger, cheaper and probably better corners play?

Your argument is we should sign Gay because his backups haven't "proved" anything, right? What happens if we re-sign Joey Porter because Harrison/Timmons hadn't "proved" anything to that point in their careers?

Your fundamental argument would make so much more sense if Gay had been a quality starter for the last three years. But he hasn't. He was average when at his best.

So let me get this straight: 1) You think it's reasonable to ignore how a player's has performed MOST recently and instead judge them by how they've played 2-3 years ago? You openly admit he played well last year, yet you dismiss it and turn a couple chapters back to when he was the scourge of the defense. Did you give up on Troy his rookie year or something? You're contradicting yourself, commending him for good play, then calling him mediocre, then average. Huh...

2) I can't recall the Steelers ever rewarding average play especially not regularly, please do inform the rest of us

3) So you're telling me, Brown and Allen have done nothing to earn Gay's spot, but you want them there anyways because of upside from a "physical standpoint?" Don't put words in my mouth that im never going to say, Brown and Allen are mid round picks. No one thinks drafting is a child's game.

4) You aren't improving your secondary depth at all by losing your #2 corner, who you said yourself, played well last year.

5) How are you getting "cheaper and better corner play" out of 2 players who you believe did nothing to earn Gay's spot?

6) Um yeah, my arguement is precisely that we should resign Gay because there's little proven talent behind him and Ike. You're argument is void because the Steelers find old veterans on the twilight of their career's repulsive (Faneca, Porter, Haggans, McFadden, Ward)

Im not quite sure where you stand on your bipolar opinion of William Gay. The secondary could still turn out really well without Gay, but it's a worrisome situation. Keenan Lewis played well as the top nickel corner and now he seems primed for that #2 spot. The last time that happened, we got 2 years of utter hatred for Gay before he panned out. I hope for Lewis, Brown, or Allen's sake (whoever gets that #2 spot) that they play well immediately as a first year starter or it's going to get ugly fast.

86WARD
03-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Chris Hope
Willie Parker
Max Starks
Ike Taylor
Troy Polamalu

All played spot duty, Hope & Taylor (not so much) and Parker (next to nothing) before they earned starting jobs.

Count Steeler
03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
1. Free agency is not over.
2. Draft is not over.
3. Regular season starts in September.

FO is not stupid and if the Lake Effect that caused Gay to step up his game (or lack of a contract), should still take Effect on Lewis, Brown and Allen. They have sat under the teaching for 1 full season, they will have OTAs this year and a full TC. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the continued good play from the secondary. Especially if our pass rush gets resurrected.

BigNastyDefense
03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I am going to trust the front office on this one. The coaches and front office got to see these guys in practice every day. They know these guys a whole lot better than we do.

The Steelers didn't show much interest, if any, in resigning him. Maybe he didn't impress them as much as he did many fans last season. Maybe they feel it was a one-year thing because he had no contract and he wanted to get the biggest contract he possibly could. Maybe they made an offer and his counter offer was more than the Steelers felt was worth negotiating down.

In the end, it's now up the the front office and coaches to figure out his replacement. I trust them. We've won two Super Bowls with this front office and parts of this coaching staff, and been to two winning one with this head coach. I trust them more than I trust fans who always feel like the sky is falling whenever a player leaves or the team doesn't sign/draft who they want.

steelreserve
03-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't have a problem with this at all. His replacement will be someone I'm unsure of, but then again, I was unsure of Gay. Even though he played somewhat better last year, I still had the feeling he could be torched at any given time. Maybe just the lingering bad taste from the previous couple years.

I would not be at all surprised, though, to see him join the growing cadre of ex-Steelers who went to Arizona and promptly reverted back to playing shitty defense.

60_MINUTES
03-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok, Now with William Gay gone to the Birds (Cardinals).

How do the Steeler's now address this need in the Secondary ?

Another hole to fill ??? uh yeah right... Gay going to Cards Fills that hole..we are better already

pepsyman1
03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Another hole to fill ??? uh yeah right... Gay going to Cards Fills that hole..we are better already

Exactly...addition by subtraction

suitanim
03-26-2012, 09:23 AM
As I said before, the Steelers didn't seem too concerned about gay's departure, so why should we?

LLT
03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Lets all put this in percspective.

He was a nickel corner.

If he wasnt replaceable....he would have been starting on the right or left side.

ShutDown24
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Why is this some type of surprise or shock? They didn't show any major interest in re-signing him. This is the Steeler machine at work. The guys they draft, develop and watch as rookies and then take over when the starter leaves. IF they wanted him, he would've been signed. Maybe we should've never let Mel Blount retire and re-signed him to a 50 year contract. J.T. Thomas should've never been moved to safety so we should've kept him.

Exactly.

Lets all put this in percspective.

He was a nickel corner.

If he wasnt replaceable....he would have been starting on the right or left side.

Exactly.

So let me get this straight: 1) You think it's reasonable to ignore how a player's has performed MOST recently and instead judge them by how they've played 2-3 years ago? You openly admit he played well last year, yet you dismiss it and turn a couple chapters back to when he was the scourge of the defense. Did you give up on Troy his rookie year or something? You're contradicting yourself, commending him for good play, then calling him mediocre, then average. Huh...

2) I can't recall the Steelers ever rewarding average play especially not regularly, please do inform the rest of us

3) So you're telling me, Brown and Allen have done nothing to earn Gay's spot, but you want them there anyways because of upside from a "physical standpoint?" Don't put words in my mouth that im never going to say, Brown and Allen are mid round picks. No one thinks drafting is a child's game.

4) You aren't improving your secondary depth at all by losing your #2 corner, who you said yourself, played well last year.

5) How are you getting "cheaper and better corner play" out of 2 players who you believe did nothing to earn Gay's spot?

6) Um yeah, my arguement is precisely that we should resign Gay because there's little proven talent behind him and Ike. You're argument is void because the Steelers find old veterans on the twilight of their career's repulsive (Faneca, Porter, Haggans, McFadden, Ward)

Im not quite sure where you stand on your bipolar opinion of William Gay. The secondary could still turn out really well without Gay, but it's a worrisome situation. Keenan Lewis played well as the top nickel corner and now he seems primed for that #2 spot. The last time that happened, we got 2 years of utter hatred for Gay before he panned out. I hope for Lewis, Brown, or Allen's sake (whoever gets that #2 spot) that they play well immediately as a first year starter or it's going to get ugly fast.

Refer to the above two posts. And... pretty much every single other post on this thread. Gay isn't an essential piece of the roster. The Steelers don't need to waste resources on average players.

SteelGhost
03-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I'll trust the FO as usual, if they didn't offer him an extension they know why.

Polamalu43forlife
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I am not to concered about Gay, I think our Defense will be fine with out him!! I think that if we draft some one and he can fill in Gays shoes!! :)