PDA

View Full Version : William Gay gone to West Coast Steelers....

katmandu
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/williamgay22/status/183812953957597184

So much for LOYALTY.... AND getting to play with Troy! :rolleyes:

What a dumbass........

Time to UNFOLLOW him now on Twitter!

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Did the Steelers even offer him a contract?

polamalubeast
03-25-2012, 11:27 AM
not the end of the world!

polamalubeast
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Gay had a good season in 2011, but in 2009 and 2010, it was painful to see him play, especially in 2009.

86WARD
03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
One of the better nickel backs in the league and I loved him for that. As far as starting goes...not a chance...I hated him as a starter!

Big Play Willie Gay. Good Luck Bro.

zulater
03-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Did the Steelers even offer him a contract?

I don't think they did. And to me that's not an indictment of Gay so much as it's an affirmation of the Steelers faith in their second year corners Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown.

SCSTILLER
How does this leave us in the secondary? Are the young bucks ready to step up? Do we pursue another CB in free agency (likely not), do we draft another group of CB's? I personally am not too upset about Gay leaving, but I do worry how our secondary is going to look in 2012.

oneforthetoe
https://twitter.com/#!/williamgay22/status/183812953957597184

So much for LOYALTY.... AND getting to play with Troy! :rolleyes:

What a dumbass........

Time to UNFOLLOW him now on Twitter!

Why are fans so resentfull of players going elsewhere? He may have gotten more money. No sin there for a guy usually making league minimum. Also, even if he starts for the Steelers this year, his days as a starter are numbered. We have some young guns at cb probably primed to take Gay's spot over the next two years.

I'll just thank him for his service. He was not the most talented player, but he always played hard.

Next, scapegoat - "come on down."

SCSTILLER
03-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't think they did. And to me that's not an indictment of Gay so much as it's an affirmation of the Steelers faith in their second year corners Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown.

You beat me to the submit button. That answers one of my questions, but is anyone else a little worried that these guys won't be able to handle the starting role?

ShutDown24
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
You beat me to the submit button. That answers one of my questions, but is anyone else a little worried that these guys won't be able to handle the starting role?

I'm not. I agree with Zulater. The way people were reacting I was under the impression he had turned down the Steelers. I think he's had a standing offer from Arizona but was hoping we would extend him an offer. Unfortunately for him we chose to retain Keenan Lewis instead.

katmandu
03-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Why are fans so resentfull of players going elsewhere? He may have gotten more money. No sin there for a guy usually making league minimum. It's not resentment at all, but my gut reaction of disbelief that one would give up the opportunity.

As I said, GUT REACTION. Now, the my initial reaction is gone... YES, Gay most likely went for a LOT more $$$$ than the Steelers were willing to spend on him. For that I say good for you William Gay! Good for you!

I liked William Gay's progression over the last couple of seasons. He was developing rather nicely. And YES, he really was NOT high quality Starter material, but a very nice backup that gave us quality of depth in the secondary.

stillers4me
03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I wish him the best. He made some really good plays, made some really bad ones, too. Now it's time for the young guys to step up and do it to it!

The Duke
03-25-2012, 12:01 PM
It sucks for depth purposes mostly. I hope he got good money cause they're not going anywhere with Kolb

Allen Lewis and Brown battling should be fun in TC. Likely have to draft yet another corner in later rounds too

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Congrats, but will sombody tell him that Arizona is not the coast. Makin way for Keenan Lewis to get a shot at starting.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Good luck in Arizona, just remember you're going from a winning team to a losing team.

XxKnightxX
03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
The Keenan Lewis signing basically set the message of where the Steelers were headed. I told him that we all know what happens to Pit CBs that go to AZ. Hell be back lol.

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm on his Twitter right now and nowhere does he say he's joining the Cardinals, but it must be official.

fansince'76
03-25-2012, 01:18 PM
He thinks AZ is on the West Coast? He's in for a rude awakening when he goes looking for the beach. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2SL6r70c0

:lol:

steelerdude15
03-25-2012, 01:27 PM
He thinks AZ is on the West Coast? He's in for a rude awakening when he goes looking for the beach. :lol:

:rofl2:

Psycho Ward 86
03-25-2012, 01:28 PM
The Keenan Lewis signing basically set the message of where the Steelers were headed. I told him that we all know what happens to Pit CBs that go to AZ. Hell be back lol.

they just tendered him, we do that to almost all of our RFA's, it says very little

86WARD
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Excited to see what the Law Firm of Lewis, Allen & Brown will do...

86WARD
03-25-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm on his Twitter right now and nowhere does he say he's joining the Cardinals, but it must be official.Ken Whisenhunt bringing another former Steeler to Arizona: Cardinals reached a two-year deal with former Pittsburgh CB William Gay.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/183986653600301057

tube517
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM

:rofl2: Yeah. And good luck with Peyton Mann.....er Kevin Kolb on the "West Coast" as your QB. Looks like a 6-10 season for the next decade.

Not really a huge loss. I didn't hate him as much as others but I think it's time for Carnell to realease the yougngins

86WARD
03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_0eQg1QlcQ

pepsyman1
03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Happy to get rid of him. Never thought he was that good. Don't let the door hit ya.

Edman
03-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Best of Luck to Gay.

I hated him because he sucked ass in 2009 and 2010, and he was fairly marginal last year despite improving.

XxKnightxX
03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
they just tendered him, we do that to almost all of our RFA's, it says very little

Yeah but a million dollar plus under such tight cap space can show that hes good enough to start or te be worth a pick.

steel9guy
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Honestly good riddance. He made big plays and helped us last year but those plays helped cover how many times he got burnt. See ya.

SteelerEmpire
03-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Wow. I'm gone off the web for 2 days, come back then... BAM !!! But seriously. I thought this team would never get rid of Gay.

Pristas
03-26-2012, 07:28 AM
I think what we need to know here is that Ryan Clark is most excited about how far Cortez Allen has come along... watch this kid in camp.

steel striker
03-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I thought Gay played better this year but, you would have to say he was up & down a lot. Time for the younger guys to step up and, produce.

steelerdude15
03-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Excited to see what the Law Firm of Lewis, Allen & Brown will do...

So what a second, we have Young Money and a Law Firm?!? :sofunny:

SteelGhost
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Bye bye WG, enjoy the West Birds :wave:

GBMelBlount
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Looks like Gay finally bit the pillow on this one...

Good luck in Arizona WG.

We will be absolutley fine.

zulater
03-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Keenan Lewis may be the next up on the depth chart to replace departed William Gay at left cornerback, but when we asked Mike Tomlin today how he felt about that position and whether he needed to add anyone, Lewis was not the first name he mentioned.
He cited last year’s two rookie draft picks first.
“There’s a possibility that we could add some competition there but we are excited about the prospects of these young men – Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen,’’ Tomlin said this morning. “We drafted them a year ago with the potential of these things in mind. They’ve been a part of our program and have been given the opportunity to contribute in some ways, on special teams and even in some sub-package defense for Cortez.
“Obviously, it is a step up but I compare it to a similar step up that a guy like LaMarr Woodley had four or five years ago when we lost Clark Haggans in free agency, and we had drafted Woodley a year before. He had 12 months in our program. There was some uneasiness about Woodley at that time, and I don’t think we have any about him now. One or both of these has to step up and step up in a big way, and I anticipate one or both of them doing that.”
A few things here. First, Woodley had a monster rookie season in a reserve role and many thought he should have replaced Haggans that year. Second, Tomlin had to be prodded about whether or not Lewis was in the mix to start at left corner before he mentioned him.
“Certainly he is. He played a lot last year. He is not an unknown commodity in my mind. We are talking about our third cornerback. The way he played sub-package football last year, he logged quite a few snaps.
“From defensive playing time, you have to give the nod to Lewis. He’s been a part of our program longer than the others, but we are going to give all those men the opportunity to earn that position.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115546-ed-maybe-lewis-isnt-favorite-to-replace-gay

Craic
04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I still laugh at the fact that people so overlook Gay's contributions to this team as a nickel. Simply put, he was probably one of the best nickel CB's in the game.

Don't let one bad season as the number 2 CB fool anyone, Gay was a very good contributor. Now, with that said, I am really looking forward to seeing what Cortez Allen can do in this year - or whomever gets the position.

ALLD
04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
This will be the last time you hear about Gay until we start talking about Brady.

Craic
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
This will be the last time you hear about Gay until we start talking about Brady.

Probably, he wasn't a splash player. Just someone who did a very good job at a number three.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Probably, he wasn't a splash player. Just someone who did a very good job at a number three. True, but if we call him what he was....a #3 CB, then we should be fine with the thought that Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown or Cortez Allen can be the #3 AND #2 CB.

I honestly hope Lewis stakes his claim. I stated that when he was drafted, he would be taking over opposite Ike Taylor at CB and I hope this is finally the year.