PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben, Ward 'not chummy'

polamalubeast
03-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Hines Ward's retirement press conference showed that the veteran wide receiver and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger were "not chummy," which is how the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette described the relationship.

Bouchette points out that Ward mentioned two quarterbacks -- Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox -- at his press conference Wednesday but he didn't bring up Roethlisberger. And there were a handful of teammates that attended the press conference, but Roethlisberger wasn't amount them.

"Should we draw any conclusions from this. Yes, that the two former teammates were not chummy," Bouchette wrote. "Roethlisberger took the high road when he told me after Ward’s release by the Steelers that the so-called animosity between them was blown out of proportion. Not all teammates are chummy."

Hensley's slant: Roethlisberger and Ward are a good example that quarterbacks and wide receivers don't need to be best buddies to be successful. But they do need to trust one another on the field. And it was evident that Roethlisberger could trust Ward to catch the ball in critical situations and fight for first downs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44633/wake-up-call-big-ben-ward-not-chummy

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 08:36 AM
I think ESPN hired Tim Lumber to write the AFC North blog...

fansince'76
03-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I think ESPN hired Tim Lumber to write the AFC North blog...

Methinks you're right. :lol:

salamander
03-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Moving on... :coffee:

tube517
03-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Arians fault

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Moose
03-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Geesh-- you can tell it's OFF SEASON !! A ' who gives a crap article". Hines is retired and history now. He played great with Ben . Move on !

zulater
03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm fairly certain it's true that Ward isn't particularly fond of Ben. Notice Ward was about the only Steeler not at Ben's wedding last summer. ( he was invited)

His calling out of Ben over his concussion issue back in 2009.

That he cited Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox at his retirement, and not Ben.

It all adds up, but so what of it?

I think it always bothered Hines that Ben made no secret of his desire for a "big receiver" after Burress left. Ward was always a player who would take the slightest perceived slight and use it to fan his competitive flames to reach a level of play higher than what his skills would suggest was possible . Anyway it's always been my impression that Ward thought he should have been targeted more by Ben. And he carried that resentment over to their off the field relationship such as it was.

But I don't think it ever hurt the on the field product.

86WARD
03-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Obviously didn't hurt the product on the field. I'll take a receiver/QB non-chummy relationship every day of the week if it gets the results this "horrible" relationship got over the last 6 years.

stillers4me
03-24-2012, 10:45 AM
It was Hines that walked out with Ben when Ben was nervous about facing the fans.

They don't have to be BFF to play well together.

steeldevil
03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Not a big deal. You dont have to be buddies with your co-workers when you are not at work. They worked fine together at practice and games, but its not a requirement that they be friends out in the real world.

Offseason...

oneforthetoe
03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I remember hearing that Ben blew off the Hines Ward show at one point. Hines had to find a quick replacement. We all know by Ben's own admission that he was not the best teammate when he was younger. Add into the mix that Hines has always had a chip on his shoulder, and it is not surprising that their relationship was not always rosy.

GodfatherofSoul
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
"I don't think Ben and Hines like each other much. I mean, have you ever seen Hines with Ben's dick in his mouth? That can only mean one thing!"

SMR
03-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Sigh...

Offseasons suck.

stillers4me
03-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm fairly certain it's true that Ward isn't particularly fond of Ben. Notice Ward was about the only Steeler not at Ben's wedding last summer. ( he was invited)

Hines' foundation had a big event that day. I'm sure Hines felt he needed to be there for that versus a wedding.

Geesh....

Carolina Steelers
03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Hines' foundation had a big event that day. I'm sure Hines felt he needed to be there for that versus a wedding.

Geesh....

You are correct he was in Charlotte, NC for that day, for signing with the Stars which benefited his foundation i was there.

Buckinnuts
03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
who really cares Bouchette....must need something to write about. playing as teammates does not mean having to be friends...just like the people we work with deal with them get the job done move on

BigNastyDefense
03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't see the point of writing this article other than to slam Ben Roethlisberger. Not every single player among the 53 man roster and the practice squad are going to be best friends. And Ben admits that he wasn't the best teammate, and I am sure Ward didn't like Ben's comments about wanting a "big receiver" a few years ago.

But they got it done on the field and in practice, and that's what matters most. They were not paid to be "chummy," they were paid to play football and win games. Together they played in two Super Bowls and won one. They trusted each other on the field, and that's what matters to me.

And so I guess Ward wasn't chummy with anybody but Jerome Bettis, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, and James Harrison by the thought process used in this article. I am sure that's not the case. But it's the offseason, players are in other places and can't just up and head to Pittsburgh for a surprise retirement announcement.

zulater
03-24-2012, 05:23 PM

Geesh....

So what, Ben's wedding date was set a week before the event?

That was the only date that Hines could have had his charity event?

More than anything though, that Hines mentioned Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart by name at his retirement and didn't mention Ben screams volumes. Hines has some lingering dislike or resentment of Ben. We can only guess why?

But again, whatever the problem, it didn't manifest itself onfield, nor did it pollute the locker room, like Santonio Holmes and Dirty Sanchez's problems did, so it's not a big deal.

tube517
03-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Was Troy there? Was Sepulveda there? Was Troy Edwards there? Was Kent Graham there? Was his grandma there? If anyone has doubts, remember them hugging each other after Woodley sacked/stripped fumbled Kurt Warner in XLIII. That's how I'll remember their relationship, not some press conference.

Michael
03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
This thread was a waste of my time . Thats all folks