PDA

View Full Version : Kugler at Stanford Pro Day

Bluecoat96
03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I was watching the NFLN and noticed that when David DeCastro was running through the O-Line drills, Coach Kuglar was RIGHT there watching him very intently. I know how highly rated DeCastro is and where we draft, but I thought it was interesting to see our o-line coach right in the thick of things. You don't think we'd actually make a play for Decastro, do you?

suitanim
03-23-2012, 08:09 AM
He's got to be right at the top of our board...I'm not sure we'd actually trade up, but stranger things have happened.

Texasteel
03-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I will probably be branded insane for this, but there is an outside chance that he could slide close enough to us for us to make a move. Maybe even a very slim chance he could slid to our spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Better chance that Jon Martin could slide to our pick. I'd run that pick to the commish.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 01:19 AM
I'd love for the Steelers to get him, but I think he'll be gone by then.

Aussie_steeler
03-24-2012, 05:05 AM
De Castro and Martin have to be two of the highest rated O linemen on the steelers radar for round 1.

I could only see De Castro being an option if the steelers wind up with 2 first round picks due to Mike Wallace being nabbed. De Castro and two 2nd round picks would be a great haul.

Texasteel
03-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Better chance that Jon Martin could slide to our pick. I'd run that pick to the commish.

So would I Gonzo, so would I. Its a little strange that Martin has started dropping all of a sudden, but thats the NFL draft. Remember last year, I think it was the OT Carpenter that all of a sudden vaulted into the 1st round.

How would you like a 3 round pick of

Martin
Chapman/Ta'amu
James-Michael Johnson.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 07:00 AM
DeCastro is one of my favorite players in the draft, and one of the best guards I've seen in a long time. But I wouldn't trade the house for him. If we do lose Wallace (I don't think we will) I've seen suggestions that we trade both first round picks to move up and get him. That's insane if there is no other compensation.

I don't really see Martin falling to us either. But who knows.

That's what is so crazy about the draft. There are 32 round 1 spots and about 44 guys who could theoretically be selected in those spots. Which is odd, because I've always believed teams rate less players with a first round grade than there are first round slots.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 07:05 AM
So would I Gonzo, so would I. Its a little strange that Martin has started dropping all of a sudden, but thats the NFL draft. Remember last year, I think it was the OT Carpenter that all of a sudden vaulted into the 1st round.

How would you like a 3 round pick of

Martin
Chapman/Ta'amu
James-Michael Johnson.

I think many are questioning if Martin is a good enough run blocker and the fact that he couldnt workout at the combine, as to why he may be sliding. I watched 2 or 3 Stanford games this year and he has the size, athleticism, knee bend, etc to be a great LT. He was more impressive than DeCastro I thought.

As for your 3 round mock. I could not be happier if that is what happened. I think Johnson will have a learning curve, but he is a more athletic LB than Hightower and I think draws some comparisons to Curtis Lofton from some scouts.

Nate Potter's back/shoulder seems to be an issue with a lot of teams. Not sure he is on the radar any more.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 07:29 AM
So the Steelers are sitting there at 24. Goodell comes up to the podium and calls Bobby Massie.

How would you guys feel about that?

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 09:35 AM
So the Steelers are sitting there at 24. Goodell comes up to the podium and calls Bobby Massie.

I like what I see from him. Good foot work, pushing opposing linemen away while creating holes, and an attitude of not stopping.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 10:19 AM

He's got the size, feet, athleticism you want at LT. If they picked him there they must have done the due diligence. I think he is a bit of a project, but could be a great LT in a few years.

Texasteel
03-24-2012, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't mind Massie, but in the 2nd round, and not at 24.
The one question I have heard that the scouts have about him is possibly his work ethics, that and the thought that he does have a high center of gravity.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
That got a much more positive response than I had expected.

I've viewed Massie as a first round talent from the jump. I think he's more polished than he is given credit for. The only knock I've found on him is, as Tex points out, he plays a little high. I like his size and think his body structure lends itself to playing football a lot more than a guy a like Mike Adams'. I don't think 24 is a reach. I know consensus on him is second round, though. I'm actually kind of surprised by that. When I originally watched him he was projected as a fourth rounder. I thought he'd rise, but I thought it would be more dramatic. He has been moving up the boards rather gradually instead.

Texasteel
03-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I read a while back that his problem is the fact that he does have a little longer legs. When I read that I went back a watched a few of his clips, and he does look to be a little leggy. Could be my imagination though.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 11:22 AM
I read a while back that his problem is the fact that he does have a little longer legs. When I read that I went back a watched a few of his clips, and he does look to be a little leggy. Could be my imagination though.

Something I didn't notice but that's interesting. Could definitely be a slight issue. Perhaps that's part of the reason he appears to play rather high; maybe it's physically impossible for him to get much lower. If that's the case, there is a weakness that you obviously won't be able to coach out of him.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 06:43 PM
If he goes to the second round, that would be an awesome pick up if he's still available and we took someone else with the first round pick. I'd be up for it.