PDA

View Full Version : Who's the guy with the gold collar eyeing Hightower? :chuckle:

Shoes
03-22-2012, 10:09 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/hightower.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/hightower.jpg

Godfather
03-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I prefer to eye a different Hightower:

http://www.rightcelebrity.com/wp-content/photos/chelsie_hightower_2.jpg

Shoes
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I prefer to eye a different Hightower:

http://www.rightcelebrity.com/wp-content/photos/chelsie_hightower_2.jpg

You have your forums mixed up. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
love it!

fansince'76
03-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Looks like Kevin Colbert to me.

bayz101
03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
That's Kevin Colbert.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pittsburgh+Steelers+Practice+TwFZDcC6WD2l.jpg

tube517
03-22-2012, 11:23 PM
That's not Colbert. That's Red Forman from That 70s Show

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/Lomush/red.jpg

Steeldude
03-23-2012, 05:34 AM
That's not Colbert. That's Red Forman from That 70s Show

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/Lomush/red.jpg

I wish Red would play ILB for the Steelers

suitanim
03-23-2012, 08:18 AM
If you look back at our draft history, with only a few exceptions, the Steelers definitely pick the players they scout closely and have in for visits. I don't think Mendy was on the list, but that was because they expected him to be long gone. I think Hightower and DeCastro (based on Kugler eyeing him up at Stanford's pro day) mean these guys are definitely viable options for the Steelers. I don't think DeCastro lasts, but Hightower definitely might. It also isn't looking like the Steelers are going to address either position in free agency (although that could always change of course), so they will both remain positions of need.

BigNastyDefense
03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
I think whichever we don't focus on in the draft this year, we might go after in the second round of FA after teams start making their cuts after the draft and/or TC.

I think we take Hightower in the first round, and then possibly the NT out of Washington in the second.

steelerdude15
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I think whichever we don't focus on in the draft this year, we might go after in the second round of FA after teams start making their cuts after the draft and/or TC.

I think we take Hightower in the first round, and then possibly the NT out of Washington in the second.

Yeah, this picture gives me the feeling we'll be taking him in the first round..... even though their are more important needs in my opinion.

Shoes
03-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Look at this monster NT.....Alameda Ta'am. LLT and El have brought his name up a few time.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/monster.jpg

BigNastyDefense
03-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah, this picture gives me the feeling we'll be taking him in the first round..... even though their are more important needs in my opinion.

I think ILB is more of a need than people think. At this very moment, our starter next to Timmons is Larry Foote. Nothing against Foote, but he isn't the player that he was when we made our SB run in 2005/6. We don't have anyone sitting in the wings that anyone can sit here and say "that guy's going to be a stud linebacker. And we really need a guy like that, because Harrison won't be playing (at least for the Steelers) for too much longer, and when the day comes that he leaves, Timmons might be moved to his spot (the spot he was originally drafted to play). And we gave up 4.0 yard per rush last season (an entire yard more than the season before), the worst I can remember in recent seasons. I also cannot remember us ever being gashed over the middle by tight ends and slot receivers like we were last year.

Do we need a lineman? Yes. We need, IMHO, at least three (both guard spots and a tackle). We might be able to get a decent guard in cuts that will be made after the draft and in training camp. It depends on who is available there at #24. If Hightower is there, I think the Steelers take him. There might not be a lineman that the Steelers feel is worth that pick. The Steelers in the first round have been hits a whole lot more often than misses, so I am going to trust them on whoever they choose at that pick.

I also think that the offense that's going to be run is going to keep Ben from being hit as much. I have a feeling that Haley is going to drill into him to throw the ball away more if there is nothing there. This is Big Ben, he's going to scramble and get away from guys, and he is still going to take some sacks. But now he has an OC that will rip him a new one on the sideline for taking a stupid sack. But that ankle injury that he got last year, he was scrambling around when it happened when he should have just thrown the damn ball away.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 01:27 AM
I think ILB is more of a need than people think. At this very moment, our starter next to Timmons is Larry Foote. Nothing against Foote, but he isn't the player that he was when we made our SB run in 2005/6. We don't have anyone sitting in the wings that anyone can sit here and say "that guy's going to be a stud linebacker. And we really need a guy like that, because Harrison won't be playing (at least for the Steelers) for too much longer, and when the day comes that he leaves, Timmons might be moved to his spot (the spot he was originally drafted to play). And we gave up 4.0 yard per rush last season (an entire yard more than the season before), the worst I can remember in recent seasons. I also cannot remember us ever being gashed over the middle by tight ends and slot receivers like we were last year.

Do we need a lineman? Yes. We need, IMHO, at least three (both guard spots and a tackle). We might be able to get a decent guard in cuts that will be made after the draft and in training camp. It depends on who is available there at #24. If Hightower is there, I think the Steelers take him. There might not be a lineman that the Steelers feel is worth that pick. The Steelers in the first round have been hits a whole lot more often than misses, so I am going to trust them on whoever they choose at that pick.

I also think that the offense that's going to be run is going to keep Ben from being hit as much. I have a feeling that Haley is going to drill into him to throw the ball away more if there is nothing there. This is Big Ben, he's going to scramble and get away from guys, and he is still going to take some sacks. But now he has an OC that will rip him a new one on the sideline for taking a stupid sack. But that ankle injury that he got last year, he was scrambling around when it happened when he should have just thrown the damn ball away.

You make some solid points, but here's the problem with Hightower, he isn't all that great. Looking at his game film and reading reviews, he's not exactly first round material. His coverage skills are not good and to add to that, he isn't very fast. He struggles with man to man coverage, especially if its a good tight end or wide receiver. He might be okay when it comes to the run game, but a running back can still blow right by him and he doesn't show motivation to run down someone at times. He can penetrate the line well, but in my opinion, that's all he can do. He just seems to go invisible at times during games.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
You make some solid points, but here's the problem with Hightower, he isn't all that great. Looking at his game film and reading reviews, he's not exactly first round material. His coverage skills are not good and to add to that, he isn't very fast. He struggles with man to man coverage, especially if its a good tight end or wide receiver. He might be okay when it comes to the run game, but a running back can still blow right by him and he doesn't show motivation to run down someone at times. He can penetrate the line well, but in my opinion, that's all he can do. He just seems to go invisible at times during games.

I get that Hightower might be a 2 down LB, but to say that he isnt that great and goes invisible is a bit harsh.

Hightower was the leading tackler (85) on the National Champions defense. He had 11 tackles for loss and 8.5 of them came against SEC opponents. In the National Championship game he had 4 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

I agree that I would like to see my MLB make 7-10 tackles a game, but Hightower is playing with 3 other 1st round talents in Upshaw, Barron, Kirkpatrick. They cant all be making the play on every down.

I agree they are taking a good look at Hightower. I also think the Steelers could see somebody like Jonathan Martin from Stanford slide to them at that pick. Will be interesting.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 08:44 AM

I couldn't disagree more.

Hightower can be a four down linebacker if needed.

He is strong against the run, is above average as a pass rusher, can drop into coverage pretty well for a man his size and can play special teams. I rarely saw him get swallowed by a block, he is very smart and has good character.

I don't know what's not to like.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 09:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSuM0zyy11M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KevyJyNu8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71CHCrTvWU

Here is a small sample of what I'm talking about. Everything I described above is found in these videos.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Here is a small sample of what I'm talking about. Everything I described above is found in these videos.

I can't view those videos here in the office, the filter blocks Youtube. But I've seen plenty of Hightower. Four full games of every snap. While he's not perfect, he's the best linebacker in the draft for us from what I've seen. The only guy who I think might be a better pro is Zach Brown, but I don't think he's a fit for our system. We need a thumper - and that's a role Dont'a Hightower could really fill.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't want to just blow off your points, I'll look at those when I get home. I just feel like saying he goes "invisible at times" is a very unfounded statement. I think when it comes to Hightower if you find many weaknesses in his game they are really going to be nitpicking. He's solid all around.

steeldevil
03-24-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSuM0zyy11M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KevyJyNu8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71CHCrTvWU

I see very, very few mistakes in these 3 videos.

He looks exceptional against the run, thats for sure. Whether making the tackle or blowing up a blocker and letting the pursuit behind him make the tackle, he affects every running play in these 3 videos.

Great in pass rush in these 3 videos as well. Coverage is his worst area, but he looks good in zone coverage which is what he would be in most of the time with us anyway.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Great in pass rush in these 3 videos as well. Coverage is his worst area, but he looks good in zone coverage which is what he would be in most of the time with us anyway.

Definitely agree. I think his pass rush is severely underrated. Coverage is definitely his weakness, but I don't think that's a big deal when you consider how much the guy weighs. He's covering backs that he has 60-70 lbs on sometimes and he still stays with them acceptably well in most cases.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Definitely agree. I think his pass rush is severely underrated. Coverage is definitely his weakness, but I don't think that's a big deal when you consider how much the guy weighs. He's covering backs that he has 60-70 lbs on sometimes and he still stays with them acceptably well in most cases.

He might be able to put pressure on the quarterback, but not enough in my opinion. He didn't get any sacks in the videos and he's nailing the quarterback after he's already thrown the ball and I can speak for everyone when it comes to not wanting to see roughing the passer called all the time. He can penetrate the line well and hit hard, but that's it in my opinion.

BigNastyDefense
03-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

Hightower can be a four down linebacker if needed.

He is strong against the run, is above average as a pass rusher, can drop into coverage pretty well for a man his size and can play special teams. I rarely saw him get swallowed by a block, he is very smart and has good character.

I don't know what's not to like.

Not to mention he already has experience in the 3-4 defense since that's the base defense that Alabama plays...and the Steelers play a lot of zone and if he's not strong in man coverage they'll just put him in zone.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Not to mention he already has experience in the 3-4 defense since that's the base defense that Alabama plays...and the Steelers play a lot of zone and if he's not strong in man coverage they'll just put him in zone.

But IF he becomes a Steeler, what is he going to do if he has to play man to man? He's going to be picked on.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
But IF he becomes a Steeler, what is he going to do if he has to play man to man? He's going to be picked on.
How many times did Farrior get asked to play man? Very few, if any.

I really see that he drops in zone well and change of direction is his only real flaw. He would be a great pick.

steelerdude15
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
How many times did Farrior get asked to play man? Very few, if any.

I really see that he drops in zone well and change of direction is his only real flaw. He would be a great pick.

He also has an issue of his angle of pursuit which can take him out of plays as well. I'm going to say this to end this debate. If we draft him, we do. I won't protest. While I feel that guard is the position that is must important to draft this year, we do need help at inside linebacker. I'd love for the Steelers to get David Decastro in the first round, but it isn't going to happen. I also feel that Hightower isn't all that great, but who knows, he could prove me wrong and I hope he does if he is drafted by us. I want all Steelers to play at their best. I guess we'll see what happens come draft day.

ShutDown24
03-24-2012, 10:21 PM
He also has an issue of his angle of pursuit which can take him out of plays as well. I'm going to say this to end this debate. If we draft him, we do. I won't protest. While I feel that guard is the position that is must important to draft this year, we do need help at inside linebacker. I'd love for the Steelers to get David Decastro in the first round, but it isn't going to happen. I also feel that Hightower isn't all that great, but who knows, he could prove me wrong and I hope he does if he is drafted by us. I want all Steelers to play at their best. I guess we'll see what happens come draft day.

I think trying to find a weakness in Hightower's game is really nitpicking. I could sit here and come up with several weaknesses in David DeCastro's play as well but when those aren't magnified he is an awesome prospect and I think it's the same with Hightower. If you aren't a fan I can't blame you for pointing out why, I just think you can find weaknesses in every single guy in the class if you look hard enough. And in a scheme where Hightower's weaknesses would be minimized, I don't feel like there is much reason for them to make the Steelers not want to draft him.