PDA

View Full Version : Report: Wallace wants more than Fitzgerald

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 08:29 AM
absurd....I hope this is not true

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44461/report-wallace-wants-more-than-fitzgerald

fansince'76
03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
He won't get that next year either. He's not in Fitz's class.

X-Terminator
03-22-2012, 08:39 AM
If this is true - and considering the source, it's a sure bet that it isn't - then see ya, Mike. No team is going to pay him Larry Fitz money because he isn't in Larry Fitz' neighborhood. Not even close.

That said, I'd like to officially petition to ban anything from Hensley from this site. Friggin' hack Ratturd fan.

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
The 49ers inquired about Mike Wallace but ...

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html#storylink=cpy

Bluecoat96
03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Just a thought...probably a stupid thought...but if true, is this a ploy by the Wallace camp to keep other teams at bay?

The Duke
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
:rofl2: :rofl2:

If that's true I hope they they make him play on the tender this year, franchise him next and then trade him. Simply won't get anywhere near that here

nor does he deserve it

86WARD
03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
See ya Mike.

Seriously though...I'm sure every player wants more than Larry Fitzgerald. Why wouldnt he? Will he get it? Probably not.

tube517
03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah, he's gone next year. And Jamison Jackhole is still a douche.

zulater
03-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Gee. I thought no one was interested in signing restricted free agents? :coffee:

Sarcasm aside. The bright side of this is that Wallace is going to have to have a helluva year to justify that sort of future payday.

The down side. Hard to see much chance of Wallace being a Steeler past 2012. The Steelers wont franchise him. The money number will be too high for receivers to consider that move.

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Gee. I thought no one was interested in signing restricted free agents? :coffee:

Sarcasm aside. The bright side of this is that Wallace is going to have to have a helluva year to justify that sort of future payday.

The down side. Hard to see much chance of Wallace being a Steeler past 2012. The Steelers wont franchise him. The money number will be too high for receivers to consider that move.

The Steelers will have the option to put Wallace on the TAG in 2013

BlastFurnace
03-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Until it is said by Wallace, his agent, or the Steelers...then I'm a little skeptical.

That being said, other than Ben, there isn't a single player on the Steelers roster that I would pay that kind of money too.

zulater
03-22-2012, 10:01 AM
The Steelers will have the option to put Wallace on the TAG in 2013

The franchise number on a receiver will be through the roof next season. They wont give Wallace 18 million to play one season. Especially with Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders coming up on restricted free agency in 2013.

86WARD
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Story has to be bogus...the 49ers couldn't possibly be looking for another number one receiver. They already have Manningham and Moss...TWO number ones...lol.

Carolina Steelers
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
The franchise number on a receiver will be through the roof next season. They wont give Wallace 18 million to play one season. Especially with Antonio Brown and Emanuel Sanders coming up on restricted free agency in 2013.

agree!!

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
The tag will never be at 18 million!...The TAG for WR was 9.4 for WR this year!

zulater
03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
The tag will never be at 18 million!...The TAG for WR was 9.4 for WR this year!

A lot of receivers have signed for a lot of money since then. And there's still a few to go ( Wes Welker) By the time next season's franchise numbers come out receiver will be 10 million +. Do you really want to pay Wallace more than Ben? With Antonio Brown right on his heels it's hard for me to imagine Wallace being around past next season.

BlastFurnace
03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Colbert...no matter how desparate it looks...Just don't trade him for a 5th round draft choice....

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 10:23 AM
A lot of receivers have signed for a lot of money since then. And there's still a few to go ( Wes Welker) By the time next season's franchise numbers come out receiver will be 10 million +. Do you really want to pay Wallace more than Ben? With Antonio Brown right on his heels it's hard for me to imagine Wallace being around past next season.

The rise of TAG is no longer the average of the five most highest paid WR in the NFL.

In 2011...the 10 most highest paid WR in the NFL

http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sports/files/top-10-highest-paid-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-2011.html

BlastFurnace
03-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Wallace just tweeted..."Don't believe everything you hear"

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Franchise tag drop helps teams

Values for NFL franchises couldn't be higher.

The new collective bargaining agreement gave the NFL 10 years of labor peace. The league cut a deal that provided teams a better percentage of revenues. Network television extensions add billions to the fortunes of the league.

How did the value of franchise players drop?

Franchise wide receivers dropped from $11.3 million to $9.4 million. Quarterbacks went from $16 million to $14.4 million. Running backs fell from $9.5 million to $7.7 million. Cornerbacks fell from $14 million to $10.4 million. As a result, 21 players were franchised and the lower franchise numbers have given teams more leverage in negotiations with key unsigned veterans.

In the final stages of putting the collective bargaining agreement together, league negotiators slipped in a slight adjustment in the calculation of the franchise number. The league turned the franchise number into the average of a five-year period instead of the previous year. That change has had major consequences.

read more

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7660738/nfl-drop-franchise-tag-numbers-help-teams

suitanim
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
He'd be worth it IF:

A) He has 120 catches and...
B) 2000 yards and...
C) 20 TD's

Nadroj 20
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
He'd be worth it IF:

B) 2000 yards and...
C) 20 TD's

And could fly..

SteelerEmpire
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
This is an obvious "red herring" tactic so that he can stay in Pittsburgh. Very smart move.

tube517
03-22-2012, 11:39 AM
He'd be worth it IF:

B) 2000 yards and...
C) 20 TD's

That's too many yards for the 3 yds and a cloud of dust/ground n pound fans in Pittsburgh..... If he gets those kinds of numbers, Haley should be fired. :chuckle:

YoungMoneyFam
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I really don't think Mike is that crazy where he thinks his play warrants that type of money..

SteelMember
03-22-2012, 12:57 PM
And could fly..

Now that, he can do. :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I think hes just trying to keep teams away from making a deal on him. AND Jamison Hensley can go fuck himself.

fansince'76
03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
He'd be worth it IF:

B) 2000 yards and...
C) 20 TD's

That's too many yards for the 3 yds and a cloud of dust/ground n pound fans in Pittsburgh..... If he gets those kinds of numbers, Haley should be fired. :chuckle:

Naturally - it will kill our TOP and our over-the-hill defense will get tired! :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Story has to be bogus...the 49ers couldn't possibly be looking for another number one receiver. They already have Manningham and Moss...TWO number ones...lol.

In my opinion I don't see Moss as a number one no more. I am not sure if he as lost anything or not but I am sure he will be a number two.

BigNastyDefense
03-22-2012, 02:24 PM
If true, he's not worth it. However I won't believe it until it's said by Wallace, his agent, or the Steelers. And Hensley can go fuck himself, he's a douchenozzle Baltimore bastard.

O'Malley
03-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Ward had a talk with Wallace and IMO gave him some insight on what longevity is and how he will get paid over time.. But the most important part of being a Steeler is remaining a Steeler... Hopefully this is true and Wallace worries more about being a Steeler then getting paid in the short run.. It would be nice to be able to hold on to Wallace but IMO it's not the most pressing issue the Steelers face.. You can always find a receiver with speed.. Without an offensive line you can't get the ball to them.. The Steelers need to build an offensive line more then they need to sign an over priced WR. JMHO.

Count Steeler
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
If true, bye bye Mikey.

IUSteel
03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
If he really did ask for that, smart of him. My dad did this when his wife made him sell a car. You ask for a crapload of money, that way if someone actually pays, you still win. If they don't, well you didn't really want to sell/change teams anyways.

Psycho Ward 86
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
Read the title, anticipated the source, #laughed

SteelGhost
03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Now the board's polls HAS to include the option "Fuck Hensley" :lol:

Kidding aside, it's hard to believe Wallace wants that kind of contract, I tend to believe it's only a joke or a strategy to remain in Black and Gold

ShutDown24
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Wallace isn't THAT stupid. Either Hensley is wrong (most likely) or the kid wants to stay. If it comes down to a significant profit margin in the future he will leave, but he is going to be here for at least the next one to two seasons.

What happened to all the teams that were knocking down our front door to steal him? Biggest media-created story of the year.

steelerdude15
03-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Now the board's polls HAS to include the option "Fuck Hensley" :lol:

Kidding aside, it's hard to believe Wallace wants that kind of contract, I tend to believe it's only a joke or a strategy to remain in Black and Gold

I hope its a strategy.

polamalubeast
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
It's Matt Barrows(not Hensley) who released this new first

source:http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html#storylink=cpy

SteelGhost
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I hope its a strategy.

Me too SD15

atlsteelers
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Its smart move by wallace.if he wants to remain a steeler. Ask for the the moon and stars from somebody and if a team offers it sign it. Otherwise sign "modest"/ longterm deal with steelers.

Godfather
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Its smart move by wallace.if he wants to remain a steeler. Ask for the the moon and stars from somebody and if a team offers it sign it. Otherwise sign "modest"/ longterm deal with steelers.

I agree. Maybe Fitz money is what it will take for him to leave Pittsburgh.

fansince'76
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
It's Matt Barrows(not Hensley) who released this new first

source:http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/the-49ers-inquired-about-mike-wallace-but.html#storylink=cpy

Which begs the question who is Matt Barrows and why should I believe him? I think the recent Manning circus shows the lack of credibility sports journalism in general has sunk to (which invariably involves someone making a tweet and everyone else running with it, regardless of its veracity). Chidi's writings here and the fact that he's majoring in sports journalism at least gives me some hope that the tabloid gossip garbage will eventually cease and true sports journalism will make a return at some point, though. He's only a freshman in college and IMO, he's already a better journalist and writer than at least 80% of the sportswriters who are getting paid for their work.

Count Steeler
03-23-2012, 05:24 AM
Which begs the question who is Matt Barrows and why should I believe him? I think the recent Manning circus shows the lack of credibility sports journalism in general has sunk to (which invariably involves someone making a tweet and everyone else running with it, regardless of its veracity). Chidi's writings here and the fact that he's majoring in sports journalism at least gives me some hope that the tabloid gossip garbage will eventually cease and true sports journalism will make a return at some point, though. He's only a freshman in college and IMO, he's already a better journalist and writer than at least 80% of the sportswriters who are getting paid for their work.

Agree wholeheartedly. :applaudit:

Steeldude
03-23-2012, 05:32 AM
IMO, Wallace is going to go for the largest amount of money he can get. The Steelers will be without Wallace after this season.

steelreserve
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I doubt it's a "strategy" or some kind of fake-out to remain with the Steelers. He's setting up expectations so that if he has a big year, he might get a $15M-per-season contract. If he has an OK season, he'll get $10M, because that apparently is what they pay anyone who doesn't completely suck at catching a football now.

Yeah, most teams won't be that stupid, but one will, and that's all it takes. I do not expect to see Wallace around after next year.

fansince'76
03-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Yeah, most teams won't be that stupid, but one will, and that's all it takes. I do not expect to see Wallace around after next year.

The billionaire numbnut in DC who persists with the delusion that he's a NFL GM comes to mind...

steelreserve
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
The billionaire numbnut in DC who persists with the delusion that he's a NFL GM comes to mind...

Him and Al Davis. He was so bad with money and draft picks that he could probably pull something off from beyond the grave.

I was going to say Jerrah too, but the more I think about it, this kind of deal really isn't his style.

suitanim
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Wallace has got to be sad that he missed Al davis by about a year or so...Mike Wallace is literally an Al Davis wet dream. That crazy old fucker would have paid him 25 million a year...

Hindes204
03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Wallace has got to be sad that he missed Al davis by about a year or so...Mike Wallace is literally an Al Davis wet dream. That crazy old fucker would have paid him 25 million a year...

Only problem is the stupid assholes already gave up their 1st round draft pick for Carson Palmer.

SteelerEmpire
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Wallace is faster than Fitz and can therefore get open easier. I’ve seen him get behind EVERY defender that’s ever been on him, but Ben often mis-throws the ball. I bet Wallace could do just as good as Fitz if Ben was a more accurate passer, esp. on the deep balls.

suitanim
03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Fitzgerald is a ridiculous WR. If the ball is anywhere near him, he catches it. Wallace will never possess that ability.

SteelerEmpire
03-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Wallace was a better WR his first 3 yrs than Fitz. (but Fitz is older, therefore better)

After 3 yrs:
-- -Yds --- TD's --- YPC
LF -3,135 --24 -- --13.6

MW 3,206 - 24 ----18.7

Also. Fitz had way more passes come his way.
I put my money that Wallace will be better than Fitz.... at least stat wise.

polamalubeast
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Nobody will make me believe that Wallace is better than Fitzgerald

Seriously, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are in another class.

TMC
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
A few things to throw out.

Wallace's agent also represents Fitzgerald. I doubt he would ask for more...it is unlikely he asks for as much.

The franchise tag, as mentioned before, no longer hinges on the contracts signed. In fact, the way it is now designed will make it creep up slower than the actual contracts. I would estimate that in 2013, the franchise tag is $11M for WRs.

The important part, they keep Wallace this year for $2.7M if he does not extend. If they franchise him in 2013 for $11M, then you have kept him 2 years for $13.7M or less than $7M per season. You RFA tag Brown next year and he is in the same boat as Wallace now.

So, Wallace has to ask himself, do I want to play the next two seasons for $14M or less while I wait on my big pay day or do I negotiate a deal near $8M per season and get that amount in the signing bonus.

If he signs long-term, he gets paid when ink hits the paper. If he accepts the tender, he gets that $2.7M spread out over 16 games in the form of paychecks.

You want to be rich today or hope you will be richer tomorrow?

suitanim
03-23-2012, 04:09 PM
TMC to the rescue!

Oh, and as far as Wallace versus Fitz, I believe my eyes. I've seen Wallace drop more passes in one year than I've seen Fitz drop in his whole career. You could be the greatest guy in history at getting open, but of you drop all the passes, well...Fitz doesn't even need to BE open.

The two are nowhere near the same. Fitz and Johnson are freaks. Wallace is fast and a great WR, but those two are phenoms.

BigNastyDefense
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Wallace is a speedster that runs past people and catches a lot of deep balls. Hence, a lot of yards and a huge YPC average. But he's not a complete receiver. He's grown as a receiver, but he's not a complete receiver. Brown is a much more complete receiver than Wallace.

Larry Fitzgerald is a physical freak. He makes catches that Wallace can only dream of making.

Check out this vid of Fitz highlights, there are a lot of catches that he makes in this video that Wallace will never make because he doesn't have the abilities of Fitzgerald...especially the catch around the 2:27 mark:

http://youtu.be/698JSOKJWYk

Moose
03-24-2012, 10:04 AM
LMAO, I'm sure he does want Fitz's money, who wouldn't ! The only thing is, you have to EARN that type of dollar signs, and Wallace has a long time to prove he's worth it. He's young and can possibly achieve it, but not now. At least it's good he's looking at that type of player for a 'role model' ....LOL.

60_MINUTES
03-25-2012, 11:36 PM
GOOD LORD BEN.... He has learned nothing about the Steelers or being a Steeler.. or better yet you would think a Two Time SB champ would learn from being champ... He still sounds like a spoiled kid... Begging Mike to please stay etc... Its the Steelers BEN.. if you want to be a Champ and a winner then stay and play.. if you dont then go play for some loser and we will kick your ass.. Just like the rest of the losers that have left.. Steelers dont beg anyone BEN... GOOD LORD grow up and be a man..and by the way BEN is my second fav player on the team behind Troy... but I dont care what anyone says he is still a kid... GET real BIG man and lead this team.. Manning would say... this is a business and I would like to have him back but we understand if he goes... translation.. If you leave me you will wish you didnt cause I will pound your ass the next time we play you... Anyway as far as Wallace... I want him back to but if he wants that kind of money then lets move on... we can win with our with out him thats for sure

bayz101
03-26-2012, 12:48 AM
:lol: