PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Gay on free-agent tour

SteelerEmpire
03-20-2012, 12:33 PM
None of the Steelers' free agents have signed elsewhere, but starting cornerback William Gay has suddenly become popular.

LINK:
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44286/wake-up-steelers-gay-on-free-agent-tour

suitanim
03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Article says the Steelers don't seem too concerned about Gay leaving.

Neither am I.

steelerdude15
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I mean in all reality he did good only one year which was last year. If he leaves, hopefully one of the two we drafted last year are ready to go and will be better than him.

Chidi29
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM

Neither am I.

Hensley says that. So I wouldn't trust it. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Neither am I.

why, because the rookies really kicked ass on special teams?

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 06:20 PM
why, because the rookies really kicked ass on special teams?

You made a comment like this in another thread and I responded but you musn't have come back to the topic because I never heard from you again. I'll make my points again.

Why would you sign Gay with players like Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen waiting for playing time? They both showed promise last year from what I saw, and it seems like the coaching staff likes both players. Gay isn't very old, but why would you re-sign him if you think you have better options already on the roster? Brown, Allen and even Keenan Lewis have much more upside than Gay - I think we saw William Gay's ceiling last season. He played well, but he's not a cornerstone.

The Duke
03-20-2012, 06:40 PM
You made a comment like this in another thread and I responded but you musn't have come back to the topic because I never heard from you again. I'll make my points again.

Why would you sign Gay with players like Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen waiting for playing time? They both showed promise last year from what I saw, and it seems like the coaching staff likes both players. Gay isn't very old, but why would you re-sign him if you think you have better options already on the roster? Brown, Allen and even Keenan Lewis have much more upside than Gay - I think we saw William Gay's ceiling last season. He played well, but he's not a cornerstone.

This is what matters the most, and like the article says they're obviously not concerned about him leaving

if he stays, cool, more depth for the secondary. Whatever happened to the talk of him moving to safety? I hope that one happens

Edman
03-20-2012, 06:43 PM
We saw Willie Gay's best finally last season, which is basically servicable but not good.

tube517
03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Gay won't get the money he wants here. I am fine with the younger guys

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Chidi29
03-20-2012, 09:05 PM

You want and really need to have as many quality CBs as you can find in today's NFL. It isn't about having one elite guy; they're important but losing value when teams spread the field or go bunch formation. And while I liked their progress, who knows what the future holds for the rooks. At the very least, bringing Gay in will create more competition. And competition brings the best of out guys.

Gay doesn't have to be a cornerstone in order to re-sign him. He's a terrific fit for our scheme and we should do what it takes to bring him back (within reason, of course).

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
You want and really need to have as many quality CBs as you can find in today's NFL. It isn't about having one elite guy; they're important but losing value when teams spread the field or go bunch formation. And while I liked their progress, who knows what the future holds for the rooks. At the very least, bringing Gay in will create more competition. And competition brings the best of out guys.

Gay doesn't have to be a cornerstone in order to re-sign him. He's a terrific fit for our scheme and we should do what it takes to bring him back (within reason, of course).

But at what cost? The team is already struggling to remain under the cap. I've always been a William Gay supporter, even when he had rough spots I thought he was a good player. But is he important enough to use valuable cap space on? In any other year I'd be questioning why the team hasn't shown interest in bringing him back. But this offseason, I have no issue with it.

Chidi29
03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
But at what cost? The team is already struggling to remain under the cap. I've always been a William Gay supporter, even when he had rough spots I thought he was a good player. But is he important enough to use valuable cap space on? In any other year I'd be questioning why the team hasn't shown interest in bringing him back. But this offseason, I have no issue with it.

It's not like he's going to cost that much. We're not talking about a #1 shutdown corner. And his interest on the market has been relatively scant. He was obviously in the second wave of CBs after guys like Carr and Wright (who to me was overpaid but that's another story) signed.

The team hasn't shown visible interest in any of our free agents or anyone for that matter. And who knows what interest we've shown to them behind closed doors. It's nolt like we have to schedule a visit with him like we would a free agent who isn't a former Steeler. They could be talking to his agent.

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Mainly my reasoning is because those players arent a "sure thing." Potential is awesome and all, but where are people seeing so much upside from the pair of rookies that they think they're ready to be starters? Quality starters? Even Lewis who filled in as a nickel pretty well, i dont think i speak for myself when i say it wouldnt be too comfortable to toss Gay out and have Ike, Lewis, and one of the rookies as our top 3 trio. The rookies showed the most on special teams. Is it the New England game that's getting to everybody? The problem is "thinking" you have better options on the roster when there's a good chance there aren't. I dont like the idea of getting rid of a young cornerback who has established himself well for at least a few of his seasons ('08, '11, maybe '10)

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 09:34 PM
It's not like he's going to cost that much. We're not talking about a #1 shutdown corner. And his interest on the market has been relatively scant. He was obviously in the second wave of CBs after guys like Carr and Wright (who to me was overpaid but that's another story) signed.

The team hasn't shown visible interest in any of our free agents or anyone for that matter. And who knows what interest we've shown to them behind closed doors. It's nolt like we have to schedule a visit with him like we would a free agent who isn't a former Steeler. They could be talking to his agent.

Maybe. A part of me hopes you're right. But based on his performance last year I would have to think that he has the opportunity to get more elsewhere. If guys like Carr and Wright got deals that, as you say (and I agree with), are over their value - I don't see much reason to think Gay won't as well. Just because the interest hasn't been huge out the gate doesn't mean teams are only looking at signing him for vet minimum. And if he costs too much more than that I don't think it's a smart move to bring him back. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can return on a value deal. But I just don't think it happens. I was always under the impression that it would be him or Lewis returning, not both.

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Chidi, I'm not necessarily saying this is the case - but just as a philosophical question, if cutting Allen or (not and) Brown freed up enough money which allowed for the team to bring Gay back, would you cut either of them for him?

Chidi29
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe. A part of me hopes you're right. But based on his performance last year I would have to think that he has the opportunity to get more elsewhere. If guys like Carr and Wright got deals that, as you say (and I agree with), are over their value - I don't see much reason to think Gay won't as well. Just because the interest hasn't been huge out the gate doesn't mean teams are only looking at signing him for vet minimum. And if he costs too much more than that I don't think it's a smart move to bring him back. Hopefully I'm wrong and he can return on a value deal. But I just don't think it happens. I was always under the impression that it would be him or Lewis returning, not both.

Teams will overpay for players who they deem to be stars. Not for mid-tier guys. In the way Matt Flynn got a reasonable deal because he wasn' a top-tier, he got a a more reasonable contract.

BigNastyDefense
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
If they can sign Gay to a reasonable deal, then I would welcome him back. I think he has a very good year last year and seems to be a great fit for our scheme.

You think he would have learned from Bryant McFadden...that most players that leave Pittsburgh never see the success that they had in Pittsburgh.

However, if he does sign elsewhere, I wish him all the luck in the world unless he's playing the Steelers....then I hope he gets burned for multiple touchdowns.

SteelGhost
03-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I liked how he played last year, BUT we'll be fine without him.

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
oh, how quickly we have forgotten how much we complained about our pass defense just 2 seasons ago...

(me included). Don't take this year's #1 pass defense for granted guys. Part of it was the product of facing a schedule full of really mediocre QB's. It sucks to say it, but it's true.

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Teams will overpay for players who they deem to be stars. Not for mid-tier guys. In the way Matt Flynn got a reasonable deal because he wasn't a top-tier, he got a a more reasonable contract.

But is a reasonable contract a win for the team in this situation? I'm just not sold that allocating the required resources on him is the right move. If he had played the way he did last season consistently over the last three years it would be easier for me to buy the argument. If I'm the Steelers, I don't want to invest in a good - but streaky - player with so many other solid guys needing new deals on the horizon and so little cap room to spare.

Chidi29
03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
But is a reasonable contract a win for the team in this situation? I'm just not sold that allocating the required resources on him is the right move. If he had played the way he did last season consistently over the last three years it would be easier for me to buy the argument. If I'm the Steelers, I don't want to invest in a good - but streaky - player with so many other solid guys needing new deals on the horizon and so little cap room to spare.

He's played just fine the past two years. It's not just a body, it's a capable player.

ShutDown24
03-21-2012, 12:58 AM
He's played just fine the past two years. It's not just a body, it's a capable player.

I didn't see it two years ago. There seemed to be this buzz amongst the fans that Gay was playing exceptional in 2010, but I've always felt that was a major misconception. He moved back into the slot and was OK, meaning, he didn't fall all over the place like he did on the outside the year before. But this past season was the first time I've seen him put it together for more than a game or two consecutively. I just have to trust the front office on this one. Why would they sign Keenan Lewis for 1.25 mil before Gay, the incumbent starter? If the market for him is as mediocre as you suggest, I would imagine 1.25 would have been enough to keep him for another year.

Count Steeler
03-21-2012, 05:04 AM

Double entrende in the new NFL. You want capable players, and they have to be cap-able.

polamalubeast
03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Colts TE Jacob Tamme and Steelers CB William Gay to visit Broncos today

polamalubeast
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
oh, how quickly we have forgotten how much we complained about our pass defense just 2 seasons ago...

(me included). Don't take this year's #1 pass defense for granted guys. Part of it was the product of facing a schedule full of really mediocre QB's. It sucks to say it, but it's true.

You're right, but at the same time, Brady had only had 198 yards on 35 pass attempts against the Steelers this year!

tube517
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Double entrende in the new NFL. You want capable players, and they have to be cap-able.

How true :heh:

I'll take it, though. We faced some crap QBs in 2009 and the pass defense wasn't a defense, it was swiss cheese. I think if you asked us in 2009, would we take the 2011 pass D, I'd say hell yeah.

suitanim
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
We've been drafting young CB's for a few years. It's their time now. Apparently, the Steelers FO thinks the same.

ShutDown24
03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
We've been drafting young CB's for a few years. It's their time now. Apparently, the Steelers FO thinks the same.

I agree.

And I think Denver would be a good fit for Gay.

Psycho Ward 86
03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
You're right, but at the same time, Brady had only had 198 yards on 35 pass attempts against the Steelers this year!

thats only one good performance against one good quarterback. But yeah, i was damn happy about that game

ShutDown24
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Looks like the Broncos are going to sign Tracy Porter. Maybe we will be able to bring Gay back for under a mil.

Chidi29
03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Looks like the Broncos are going to sign Tracy Porter. Maybe we will be able to bring Gay back for under a mil.

Arizona and Tennessee were also in Gay's final group. He should be making a decision soon.

ALLD
03-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Are they going to throw him a parade where he signs?

ShutDown24
03-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Arizona and Tennessee were also in Gay's final group. He should be making a decision soon.

I must have missed that he was visiting the Titans. That would be another good fit for him. He could probably start on that roster immediately.

Chidi29
03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
I must have missed that he was visiting the Titans. That would be another good fit for him. He could probably start on that roster immediately.

I'm guessing he won't be back much to my dismay.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/22/2893088/william-gay-nfl-free-agency-arizona-cardinals-denver-broncos-pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans

ShutDown24
03-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm guessing he won't be back much to my dismay.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/3/22/2893088/william-gay-nfl-free-agency-arizona-cardinals-denver-broncos-pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans

I would have to agree. I think he has more perceived value to any of those teams than he does here.

The Duke
03-23-2012, 12:27 AM
He certainly wouldn't start over McCourty nor Verner in Tennessee, but likely as their slot CB. Which is the same role he'd have here

And he knows he has a better chance of winning in Pittsburgh, so it will likely come down to money for him

don't think he's coming back

ShutDown24
03-23-2012, 12:29 AM
He certainly wouldn't start over McCourty nor Verner in Tennessee, but likely as their slot CB. Which is the same role he'd have here

And he knows he has a better chance of winning in Pittsburgh, so it will likely come down to money for him

don't think he's coming back

You don't think he could start over McCourty or Vernor? I didn't see too many Titans games last season but I feel like he could at least compete with those two.

The Duke
03-23-2012, 01:26 AM
You don't think he could start over McCourty or Vernor? I didn't see too many Titans games last season but I feel like he could at least compete with those two.

I did see (a few) and those two stood out to me more than anyone on their defense (though Colin McCarthy seems like the future leader of that D). There's no wonder why they didn't even try to resign Finnegan, they got two young cornerstones for the next few years

I mean, Gay could compete, but unless he's given a ridiculous contract they'll probably let him play position he's best at

his best chance at being a starter in Arizona. Even Denver just signed Tracy Porter

ALLD
03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Gay is no Ryan Clark. If he gets enough guaranteed money he should go for it, but he will be another faceless former Steeler that is never heard from again. He will not be an important player on any team and will just fade away without the support network of the Steelers.