PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall Done In Pittsburgh?

86WARD
03-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115416) writes that the Steelers don’t see RB Rashard Mendenhall (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MendRa00.htm) as being much of any use to them next year.
Bouchette mentions that “it’s possible Mendenhall may have had his last carry with the Steelers.”
Mendenhall suffered a torn ACL late into the season last year which leaves his entire 2012 season in doubt. Add in the fact that he’s entering the final year of his contract and it’s certainly a possibility that the Steelers could look to move on without him in a year from now.
Ed Bouchette adds that; “sources told me that the Steelers will not count on Mendenhall returning to form until at least the 2013 season.”
It’s hard to gauge what the market for running backs will be like in 2013, but if the recent trends are any indication, it’s safe to assume that he’s not going to land a huge contract.

http://nfltraderumors.co/rashard-mendenhall-may-not-receive-another-carry-as-a-steeler/

86WARD
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm good with it if it means retaining Wallace and Brown or trading for Stewart.

ShutDown24
03-19-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm good with it if it means retaining Wallace and Brown or trading for Stewart.

Have you heard the team is interested in Stewart anywhere? It would make sense for the Panthers to be shopping him due to the arrival of Mike Tolbert, but I don't know that John Stewart is much better than Mendenhall. If we're going that route, I'd rather just roll with Redman than use resources to acquire a player who isn't leaps and bounds better than what is already on the roster.

steelerdude15
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Most underappreciated Steeler...

SteelGhost
03-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Mendenhall's recent comments have been very unfortunate as his injury is, BUT he's a good RB.

ShutDown24
03-19-2012, 07:55 PM

Couldn't agree more.

ALLD
03-19-2012, 07:57 PM
His attitude was never good and his tweets were bad.

86WARD
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Have you heard the team is interested in Stewart anywhere? It would make sense for the Panthers to be shopping him due to the arrival of Mike Tolbert, but I don't know that John Stewart is much better than Mendenhall. If we're going that route, I'd rather just roll with Redman than use resources to acquire a player who isn't leaps and bounds better than what is already on the roster.

Nothing official...just rumors and theories. Don't think it would be a horrible idea. Steelers Depot has a nice article on it...http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/steelers-could-be-winners-no-matter-what-in-the-mike-tolbert-chase/

GodfatherofSoul
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I've been a big critic of his, but I thought he started looking really good before his injury. I'm willing to write off 2012 and bring him back in 2013. Two off-seasons and a regular season should be enough to completely heal an ACL.

BigNastyDefense
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM

I would agree with that sentiment. He was a pretty good back for the most part.

I think our run game is going to be very, very good with Redman. If he has a really good season, then there will be no need to resign an player at a position with a short shelf life that's coming off a knee injury that caused him to miss an entire season.

Willie Parker broke his leg, and was never the same again. I am afraid it might be the same with Mendenhall. And I don't think he'd be happy with being Redman's backup either.

I also wouldn't want to trade for Jonathon Stewart. I like him, but he's the same style as Redman. And I have a feeling that the Panthers are going to want at least a second round pick for him.

Edman
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I was never overly impressed with Mendenhall but he was solid for the most part. I didn't like his Twinkle Toes last season and his tweets, but the years prior he was okay.

7willBheaven
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
The Steelers have said he is in their future plans. I think he stays. As long as he can prove his injury hasnt "changed" him then he will be here...and they should be able to keep him rather cheap I think. Also if they improve the OL even more this year...just think what he could do behind a good/solid OL.

The Duke
03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
The Steelers have said he is in their future plans. I think he stays. As long as he can prove his injury hasnt "changed" him then he will be here...and they should be able to keep him rather cheap I think. Also if they improve the OL even more this year...just think what he could do behind a good/solid OL.

this

there's no reason why his 2013 deal shouldn't be a small one, 1-2 year prove it deal. He'll still be pretty young by then, and a better oline plus Haley can only help

that said, I'm not convinced we won't see him this season

Austin87
03-20-2012, 04:25 AM
His attitude was never good and his tweets were bad.

This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort.

Count Steeler
03-20-2012, 05:28 AM
I think Mendy brings another dimension to the running game. Unfortunately, he strikes me as the kind of individual that needs to be pushed. He performs pretty well when Tomlin challenges him. However, when he gets complacent, his production falls off.

Of course, a lot depends on how his knee heals. He should be an inexpensive, decent RB in 2013 & 2014.

ALLD
03-20-2012, 06:08 AM
This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort.

Tomlin benched him in the past because he was dogging it in practice.

Steeldude
03-20-2012, 06:09 AM

IMO, I would say he is one of the more overrated players.

86WARD
03-20-2012, 06:40 AM
His knee is fucked up. I wonder if he's the type of individual that can come back from that type of injury. He sometimes rubs me like he doesnt seem like he has the mental toughness to do it...not sure exactly why...but I get that feeling sometimes.

GBMelBlount
03-20-2012, 07:23 AM
I think Mendy brings another dimension to the running game.

Unfortunately, he strikes me as the kind of individual that needs to be pushed. He performs pretty well when Tomlin challenges him. However, when he gets complacent, his production falls off.

Of course, a lot depends on how his knee heals. He should be an inexpensive, decent RB in 2013 & 2014.

This was my take as well.

Maybe he can use his time off to refocus his attitude.....and sharpen his tweeting skills.

Nadroj 20
03-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I was never overly impressed with Mendenhall but he was solid for the most part. I didn't like his Twinkle Toes last season and his tweets, but the years prior he was okay.

This.

He tip toed way too much for my liking. Would have loved to see more down field running instead of side shuffeling.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Tomlin benched him in the past because he was dogging it in practice.

Yeah, in September of 2009.

Then Mendenhall put up 165 yards rushing on the Chargers the following week. The guy is useless and has a terrible attitude.:sarcasm2:

Dino 6 Rings
03-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I like Mendy, if he's healthy re-sign him, that's it. There aren't that many studs out there.

(disclaimer, I still want Jackson from the Rams but it will never happen)

tube517
03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, in September of 2009.

Then Mendenhall put up 165 yards rushing on the Chargers the following week. The guy is useless and has a terrible attitude.:sarcasm2:

:chuckle:

Mendy is below worthless. No where near John Kuhn material. :sarcasm2:

steelerdiva
03-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Yeah you would *rolling eyes*

suitanim
03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Bummer. Now we are stuck with a RBBC that has no true tested 20-25 carry-a-game starter. We won't trade a second for Stewart. This makes not even taking a look at Tollbert look a little silly (if it's true), even more so because he reportedly left a million bucks on the Chargers table simply to go and play for a winner.

fansince'76
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Bummer. Now we are stuck with a RBBC that has no true tested 20-25 carry-a-game starter. We won't trade a second for Stewart. This makes not even taking a look at Tollbert look a little silly (if it's true), even more so because he reportedly left a million bucks on the Chargers table simply to go and play for a winner.

That doesn't really explain why he signed with the Panthers.

suitanim
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
That doesn't really explain why he signed with the Panthers.

He said he was really excited to play for them, and that they seemed to have all the pieces in place, or something to that effect.

He certainly wanted out of San Diego. I think we should have at least a made a play.

Steeldude
03-20-2012, 12:30 PM
His knee is fucked up. I wonder if he's the type of individual that can come back from that type of injury. He sometimes rubs me like he doesnt seem like he has the mental toughness to do it...not sure exactly why...but I get that feeling sometimes.

When he first entered the NFL he was very timid when it came to contact.

Steeldude
03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Yeah you would *rolling eyes*

Just because you overrate everyone doesn't mean everyone does:grin:

O'Malley
03-20-2012, 01:06 PM

This is true!! But in todays game the RB is not as important and they used to be.. Plus the Steelers have a stable of RB's waiting to get thier shot... He was a great RB, and very dependable.. Held on to the ball and had the speed to break out long runs.. But IMO an ACL injury even with modern medicine can be a "death sentense" for a RB.. Either way it goes I am happy to say he was a Steeler and hope the best for him.. Wouldn't mind one bit if he was running the ball in Black and Gold.. But as it stands IMO the Steelers would be fine if he didn't.

XxKnightxX
03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
I wouldnt be much affected if Rashard Bin Mendenhall was out. He shows flashes of brilliance, and does a good job of looking good behind that putrid O line,but I guess its the attitude. In his rookie year when he got hurt, he was nowhere to be found in the facility for the rest of the season. When Baron Batch got hurt, and I asked him if he was away from the facility he basically said "um, Im there every day because thats where I work" .

steeldevil
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Getting Stewart would be great. He is very very good. Top 20 back in the league for sure. I'm still trying to understand why the Panthers gave the long term deal to Williams instead of Stewart. Stewart is better imo.

Stewart and Mendenhall are are very similar. With Mendenhall's injury, Stewart would be an upgrade.

I'm not sure the Steelers would do it for a 2nd or 3rd, but a 4th? I sure would, without a second thought. Some team would give a 2nd for him though thats for sure, he is worth it. So we prob won't even have a chance at him, if we are even interested.

steelerdude15
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Getting Stewart would be great. He is very very good. Top 20 back in the league for sure. I'm still trying to understand why the Panthers gave the long term deal to Williams instead of Stewart. Stewart is better imo.

Stewart and Mendenhall are are very similar. With Mendenhall's injury, Stewart would be an upgrade.

I'm not sure the Steelers would do it for a 2nd or 3rd, but a 4th? I sure would, without a second thought. Some team would give a 2nd for him though thats for sure, he is worth it. So we prob won't even have a chance at him, if we are even interested.

While Stewart is a top twenty back, Mendy is a top ten back. Don't see an upgrade there.

steeldevil
03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
While Stewart is a top twenty back, Mendy is a top ten back. Don't see an upgrade there.

The knee Mendy just blew out def. makes Stewart an upgrade in my book. They were about the same before that injury. They are actually very similar players.

The Panthers have been drastically underutilizing Stewart ever since his rookie year.

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Of course you would.

steelerdude15
03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
The knee Mendy just blew out def. makes Stewart an upgrade in my book. They were about the same before that injury. They are actually very similar players.

The Panthers have been drastically underutilizing Stewart ever since his rookie year.

I wouldn't look into the injury too much. Many athletes have torn those and then have come back just as good or even better, one example is Malkin of the Penguins. Another thing, Mendy has never been utilized they way he should have been. He isn't the type of running back to go up the middle; he's the type of running back who can burn you by running to the outside. Just remember, last year no one was complaining after he ran for over a thousand yards last year.

suitanim
03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Panthers are supposedly demanding a second.

steelerdude15
03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

That's way to high for a running back like Stewart who's good, not great.

GBMelBlount
03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Of course you would.

Like we discussed, mendy is arguably a top 10 or 15 back.

Regardless, I do agree there were times where he seemed to lack the intensity and desire. It bothers me because I feel he has much more potential.

Should we keep him. Being practical, yes.

ShutDown24
03-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Not anywhere close to worth it. Stewart is Isaac Redman with a little less power and a little more speed. I like him, but Mendenhall & Redman + keeping the second round pick is better than acquiring Stewart.

Steeldude
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Of course you would.

And of course you would overrate him as you do all other players. :grin:

Craic
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM

We're signing Kordell Stewart again???

Craic
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
This.

He tip toed way too much for my liking. Would have loved to see more down field running instead of side shuffeling.

I have to wonder, since two RBs have, in succession, went from being downhill runners to tiptoeing in the backfield - does that say something about our RB's, or our O line?

And yes, Willie P. would take off like a rocket every time he touched the ball the first couple years. Then, after being benched that game, Mendy started doing the same thing. So what happened to both of them?

tube517
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
We're signing Kordell Stewart again???

:rofl2:

Steeldude
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I have to wonder, since two RBs have, in succession, went from being downhill runners to tiptoeing in the backfield - does that say something about our RB's, or our O line?

And yes, Willie P. would take off like a rocket every time he touched the ball the first couple years. Then, after being benched that game, Mendy started doing the same thing. So what happened to both of them?

I never saw Mendenhall as a downhill runner in college or the NFL. He was a timid runner his first 2 years here.

Perhaps the RB coach needs to be replaced.

steelerdiva
03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Just because you overrate everyone doesn't mean everyone does:grin:

One thing I don't overrate is my opinon of you.

Steeldude
03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
One thing I don't overrate is my opinon of you.

Well some like to talk football while others(you) like to whine about a person's opinion :D Good job...lol.

Texasteel
03-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Please keep this about football. I know this is off season, but I am getting a little tired of having to post this same thing about every two weeks.