PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Still In Running For Mike Wallace?

86WARD
03-19-2012, 11:01 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers took a calculated risk by not franchising wide receiver Mike Wallace and placing a first-round tender on the receiver. Thus far it has worked. But Peter King of SI.com thinks if Peyton Manning rejects the 49ers and they lose Alex Smith, they would sign free-agent quarterback Josh Johnson and if the Niners save $8 million a year by not signing Smith and by paying Johnson a low 2012 cap number, King believes they'd consider making an offer for Wallace. San Francisco knows it would have to surrender the 30th pick plus a contract in the neighborhood of $8 million a year to get the speedy Wallace, because Pittsburgh would have the chance to match any deal offered to Wallace. This is a longshot, but don't be stunned to see it happen -- if Manning jilts San Francisco and Smith runs off too.

Source: The Redzone (http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryID=24889)

suitanim
03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
24 and 30 COULD put us in a position to pick a top-tier guard AND Hightower...

7willBheaven
03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
No I dont think so. They also just signing Manningham too...not sure they'd sign another WR...but who knows.

steelerdude15
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I highly doubt they'll sign Mikey. Mikey is probably going to stay with us.

polamalubeast
03-19-2012, 01:19 PM
I highly doubt they'll sign Mikey. Mikey is probably going to stay with us.

or with DEN

Edman
03-19-2012, 03:58 PM
The question is...who on the Niners is going to get Wallace (or anyone) the ball?

Steeltreal
03-19-2012, 04:16 PM
The question is...who on the Niners is going to get Wallace (or anyone) the ball?Charlie Batch could get him the ball. This is the Pros

BigNastyDefense
03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't see the 49ers going after him now that they didn't get Manning. With Manning they would have been more of a pass-oriented offense, now they will be sticking with a run based offense that sets up the pass.

Now the only team that I can see making a play for Wallace is the Denver Broncos, if they have the cap room. They are going to be a more pass-oriented offense with Manning. Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker are good receivers...but Wallace would be the deep threat that blows the top off of the defense in the same way he does it for the Steelers.

In the end, I still think he ends up staying in Pittsburgh. But now the only team I see possibly making a play for Wallace would be the Denver Broncos.

polamalubeast
03-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't see the 49ers going after him now that they didn't get Manning. With Manning they would have been more of a pass-oriented offense, now they will be sticking with a run based offense that sets up the pass.

Now the only team that I can see making a play for Wallace is the Denver Broncos, if they have the cap room. They are going to be a more pass-oriented offense with Manning. Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker are good receivers...but Wallace would be the deep threat that blows the top off of the defense in the same way he does it for the Steelers.

In the end, I still think he ends up staying in Pittsburgh. But now the only team I see possibly making a play for Wallace would be the Denver Broncos.

100% agree

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
24 and 30 COULD put us in a position to pick a top-tier guard AND Hightower...

I'm good with that!! Hightower, Zeitler, then find a NT prospect in the 2nd and in the 3rd maybe WR Marvin Jones of Cal is still on the board.

ShutDown24
03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
The 49ers need to worry about their quarterback position. It's looking like Alex Smith doesn't even want to stay there anymore.

ALLD
03-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Smith either needs to suck it up and go back or go to the Fins. It is almost like the upcoming Presidential election, which is the least of two evils. He will get the red carpet in Miami if he signs, but he will give up his soul.

SteelGhost
03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think MW goes to SF, MAYBE to Denver as some have said, but we don't know if Peytoon likes Mike :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think MW goes to SF, MAYBE to Denver as some have said, but we don't know if Peytoon likes Mike :noidea:
You may be right, but like I said earlier....Thomas, Dekker are decent receivers. Willis is kind of the Brandon Stokley kind of guy Manning has always had. I would not be surprised to see Dallas Clark added to the roster. IDK if the Broncos need to spend all that $ and the pick on Wallace.

Broncos need an OG and NT like we do. Tough to give up that draft pick.

suitanim
03-20-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm okay with it IF we get the players we need from it.

tube517
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
49ers need to outbid AC milan and the Jamaican Bobsled team for Wallace

fansince'76
03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
49ers need to outbid AC milan and the Jamaican Bobsled team for Wallace

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/jamaican-bobsled-team.jpg

:lol:

strbam
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Charlie Batch could get him the ball. This is the Pros
:bolt:

Nadroj 20
03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Idk about Denver. They are going to have quite a bit of money tied up in Manning now.

SteelGhost
03-20-2012, 10:15 PM
You may be right, but like I said earlier....Thomas, Dekker are decent receivers. Willis is kind of the Brandon Stokley kind of guy Manning has always had. I would not be surprised to see Dallas Clark added to the roster. IDK if the Broncos need to spend all that $ and the pick on Wallace.

Broncos need an OG and NT like we do. Tough to give up that draft pick.

Yes, they need to boost the OL to protect his brand new gamble.... errr .... investment :chuckle:

steelreserve
03-21-2012, 12:19 PM
49ers are pretty full at WR after signing Moss and Manningham. Plus, they need a quarterback.