PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Calls Todd Haley's Availability A 'Ridiculous Bonus' In NFL's Offseason

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Mar 13 7:01a

While some predicted that the passionate approach of Todd Haley might rub the storied, steady Pittsburgh Steelers franchise the wrong way, Mike Tomlin is saying all the right things so far. In fact, he seems quite excited to have the former head coach of the Chiefs on board. Haley is the team's new offensive coordinator after taking over for Bruce Arians, who left after his contract expired and took the same position with the Indianapolis Colts.

''Obviously, I think we need to have a defined personality, but that's centered around playing to our strengths,'' Tomlin said. ''That changes, of course, depending on what our strengths are. Obviously, we have a solid, franchise-type quarterback. We have some emerging outside talent at wide receiver ... Our personality, obviously, is going to be one that is built and geared toward our strengths.''

The situation in Kansas City was getting quite dramatic after months of tension before Haley's exit, so it will remain a subplot to watch throughout the season. Then again, if the Steelers win then there won't be anything to talk about except how much of a ridiculous bonus Haley was for the team.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/13/2866687/mike-tomlin-calls-todd-haleys-availability-a-ridiculous-bonus-in-nfls

Count Steeler
03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Mar 13 7:01a

While some predicted that the passionate approach of Todd Haley might rub the storied, steady Pittsburgh Steelers franchise the wrong way, Mike Tomlin is saying all the right things so far. In fact, he seems quite excited to have the former head coach of the Chiefs on board. Haley is the team's new offensive coordinator after taking over for Bruce Arians, who left after his contract expired and took the same position with the Indianapolis Colts.

''Obviously, I think we need to have a defined personality, but that's centered around playing to our strengths,'' Tomlin said. ''That changes, of course, depending on what our strengths are. Obviously, we have a solid, franchise-type quarterback. We have some emerging outside talent at wide receiver ... Our personality, obviously, is going to be one that is built and geared toward our strengths.''

The situation in Kansas City was getting quite dramatic after months of tension before Haley's exit, so it will remain a subplot to watch throughout the season. Then again, if the Steelers win then there won't be anything to talk about except how much of a ridiculous bonus Haley was for the team.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/3/13/2866687/mike-tomlin-calls-todd-haleys-availability-a-ridiculous-bonus-in-nfls

Quite interesting comment. Is Rooney still the puppeteer? Did Tomlin drink the Kool-Aid? Is he seeing something positive by having Haley on his staff over Arians? Perhaps Tomlin was getting too complacent with Arians and Rooney "opened" his eyes.

suitanim
03-19-2012, 05:23 AM
It sure sounds to me like we are going to continue to be a pass-first team.

zulater
03-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Quite interesting comment. Is Rooney still the puppeteer? Did Tomlin drink the Kool-Aid? Is he seeing something positive by having Haley on his staff over Arians? Perhaps Tomlin was getting too complacent with Arians and Rooney "opened" his eyes.

I think he's seeing something positive about having Haley on the staff period. He was presented with a situation, likely not of his own doing, where he needed a new offensive coordinator and found someone to his liking.

No reason to tear down the past to prop up the present.

KeiselPower99
03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Haley was a great pick up as coordinator. He will make us play to our strengths. We have 3 good young wide outs and a great tight end. It would be stupid to throw all that away just to run the ball 30 times a game.

ALLD
03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
It sure sounds to me like we are going to continue to be a pass-first team.

Pass first team would be okay IF we have the personnel on the OL. Hopefully his different perspective will find those players.

suitanim
03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Pass first team would be okay IF we have the personnel on the OL. Hopefully his different perspective will find those players.

How would run-first be better? We still have the same OL. We are down one RB....and we'd be wasting what Tomlin QUOTED: "Obviously, we have a solid, franchise-type quarterback. We have some emerging outside talent at wide receiver".

Fact is, we were already "playing to our strengths" by utilizing the talent we have at TE, QB, and WR...please don't tell me that people are going to have selective amnesia again about all this. Reminds me of how the Democrats hated all Bush's policies when he adopted them and how they made him the worst President ever, but somehow decided they really actually loved all same policies when Obama extended or expanded them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-19-2012, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=Count Steeler;272980]Quite interesting comment. Is Rooney still the puppeteer? [QUOTE]

I thought I saw Art's lips moving when Tomlin was doing the interview.

That meddling owner. :argue: First he retires the old OC and now tells the coach what to say about the new OC. :doh:

XxKnightxX
03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont care if we throw every damn play, get 7s instead of 3s. EFFICIENCY.

salamander
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
I dont care if we throw every damn play, get 7s instead of 3s. EFFICIENCY.

Exactly. As long we score TD's, I don't care if we run or pass.

wyn50
03-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Arians had the right idea but bad execution. Haley has a knack of executing plays with his talent. Hope that is what happens for the steelers.