PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' gamble with Wallace paying off

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
It was a calculated risk for the Pittsburgh Steelers to put a first-round tender on restricted free agent instead of the franchise tag. But, like so many times when it comes to personnel decisions, the Steelers showed they knew what they were doing.

As ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter points out, the Steelers can essentially stop sweating about losing Wallace this offseason. San Francisco and New England, the two teams most likely to sign the Pro Bowl wide receiver to an offer sheet and give up a first-round pick, aren't expected to pursue him after yesterday's additions at wide receiver.

The Patriots signed former Rams wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, and the 49ers reached an agreement with Giants wide receiver Mario Manningham. This should round out the wide receiver groups for New England (which already signed Anthony Gonzalez to go with Wes Welker) and San Francisco (which earlier added Randy Moss to go with Michael Crabtree).

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/44172/steelers-gamble-with-wallace-paying-off

fansince'76
03-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Still hope they can get him inked to a long term deal...

ShutDown24
03-18-2012, 12:30 PM
But I thought the Patriots, 49ers, Bears, Bengals, Ravens, Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings, Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, Red Wings and AC Milan were all prepared to give up their first round picks for him :chuckle:

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM

The steelers have 5 months to do.The Steelers have said that was a big priority of signed Wallace and I think they will.

The Steelers have signed Taylor, Timmons, Woodley and Polamalu within a month in the last off-season.

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
But I thought the Patriots, 49ers, Bears, Bengals, Ravens, Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings, Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, Red Wings and AC Milan were all prepared to give up their first round picks for him :chuckle:

and the Miami Heat!

Iron Steeler
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
But I thought the Patriots, 49ers, Bears, Bengals, Ravens, Broncos, Cardinals, Vikings, Lakers, Yankees, Red Sox, Red Wings and AC Milan were all prepared to give up their first round picks for him :chuckle: Hahahaha

X-Terminator
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM

I don't think AC Milan can be ruled out just yet...

zulater
03-18-2012, 01:22 PM

That wont be easy with all the stupid money that's being thrown at lesser receivers around the league. :doh:

Shoes
03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
It's hard to get into the forum these days without a #4 coal shovel......so many darn chewed off finger nails :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
That wont be easy with all the stupid money that's being thrown at lesser receivers around the league. :doh:

Absolutely.

However if Sanders is fully healthy and Wallace is covered like he was the last half of the season.....it is possible he might not see 1,000 yards this year.

ShutDown24
03-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't think AC Milan can be ruled out just yet...

It's obvious why they'd be interested. Their midfielding corps suck, and Wallace can score from anywhere on the field. Err... pitch.

86WARD
03-18-2012, 08:17 PM

LMAO.

SteelGhost
03-18-2012, 08:35 PM

True... and don't forget next offseason Antonio Brown MUST be signed long term too !

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Expect Mike Wallace to Sign a Long-Term Deal This Offseason

Art Rooney and Kevin Colbert have both stated that Mike Wallace would be a priority this offseason. There is no reason to believe any different a week into free agency.

The Pittsburgh Steelers placed a first-round tender on Wallace, and it has been enough of a deterrent so far to keep other teams from signing the restricted free agent to an offer sheet.

Though free agency is still young, Bleacher Report's Cian Fahey says that the market for Wallace appears to have dried up.

"The San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots brought in receivers yesterday to essentially guarantee that no team would make a move for the Pittsburgh Steelers' RFA Mike Wallace."

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1109970-pittsburgh-steelers-expect-mike-wallace-to-sign-a-long-term-deal-this-offseason?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_pittsteelers&utm_source=twitter.com

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Last season, Pittsburgh reached long-term contract agreements with Ike Taylor, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons and Troy Polamalu beginning in late-July with the last not happening until September 10th.

Steeldude
03-19-2012, 02:24 AM

I am sure they gave it some consideration. This most likely means the Steelers lose Wallace in 2013 without a 1st round pick in return

suitanim
03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
So I'm curious if he signs, what kind of deal it will be? 6 for 48? I think there's probably little doubt that he WILL sign...the Steelers might just try and tag him again next year if he doesn't. I'd then shift the emphasis to wrapping up Brown long-term.

zulater
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
I am sure they gave it some consideration. This most likely means the Steelers lose Wallace in 2013 without a 1st round pick in return

They could franchise him next year with the thought of looking for a trade. That's what the Patriots did with Cassells a few years back, and though no other case immediately comes to mind I'm guessing that others have done it.

But you do bring up a reasonable point. If Sanders has an injury free season next season that will give the Steelers 3 big time receivers all quite likely in some form of free agency next offseason. They probably wont be able to keep everyone, so at some point a hard decision will have to be made. And then it becomes a matter of who you let go, and what ( if anything) do you get in return?

But at the same token having 3 emerging star wide receivers coming back to the roster next season isn't the worst "problem" that you can have either.

IUSteel
03-19-2012, 01:49 PM
...But at the same token having 3 emerging star wide receivers coming back to the roster next season isn't the worst "problem" that you can have either.

It's hilarious compared to when we had Ward, Nate Washington, and Cedric Wilson as our WR core.