PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Steelers way works

stillers4me
03-18-2012, 07:16 AM
March Madness is upon us. So is the NCAA Tournament, but I'm talking about the first week of NFL free agency.
Did Pierre Garcon really just sign a $42.5 million deal?

Year in, year out, there is only one sure thing in the frenzied first week: The Steelers won't participate.
Why should they?

How can they?

The Steelers find star players in April, not March. Despite low draft positions -- they haven't chosen in the top 10 since 2000 -- they accrue winning talent, develop it and pay it...........

Read more: Starkey: Steelers way works - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787120.html#ixzz1pTCaZmJU) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787120.html#ixzz1pTCaZmJU

GBMelBlount
03-18-2012, 07:31 AM
The goodbyes to James Farrior, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward essentially closed the curtain on a fabulous run that included two Super Bowl wins. Nobody who played at Three Rivers Stadium remains.

This is a bit sad to think about....but fortunately the team will not be hurt by their departures. We should have a formidable defense in 2012 as well. Just hoping to see less injuries to key players next year....

Yet, as emotional as those goodbyes might have been, on-field losses were minimal. Ward was a fifth receiver. Smith was hurt. Farrior was a part-timer. The Steelers did not lose a single full-time starter.

Fact is, they had the youngest starting offense in the AFC after Ward was demoted.

If we shore up the O line this year and the injury Gods smile upon us it could be another great year....

Read more: Starkey: Steelers way works - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_787120.html#ixzz1pTEmhast

suitanim
03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
BUT, the Steelers have made a couple higher profile FA moves over the last decade or so, so it's not like they never dip their toe in those waters. That's why I question the veracity of Dulac's report that "Tolbert to Steelers is not happening". I'm thinking he may be basing that solely on anecdotal evidence...

zulater
03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
BUT, the Steelers have made a couple higher profile FA moves over the last decade or so, so it's not like they never dip their toe in those waters. That's why I question the veracity of Dulac's report that "Tolbert to Steelers is not happening". I'm thinking he may be basing that solely on anecdotal evidence...

Plus about 40% of the league is free agents. Once the first wave of free agency is over, there's going to be a lot of useful players out there without a team. I'm sure a few will come sniffing at the Steelers front door.

Count Steeler
03-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Plus about 40% of the league is free agents. Once the first wave of free agency is over, there's going to be a lot of useful players out there without a team. I'm sure a few will come sniffing at the Steelers front door.

That is the tier that you can get some value. These overpriced prima donnas rarely are worth the hype and the money.