PDA

View Full Version : If Mike Wallace signs elsewhere...What would you do with an extra 1st round pick?

Iron Steeler
03-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I would keep the pick that was given to us. And trade our 23rd for more picks in the future and this draft . We could solidify a lot of positions...

ShutDown24
03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Best player available that fits a general need - for both picks.

GBMelBlount
03-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Brilliant! :chuckle:

ShutDown24
03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Brilliant! :chuckle:

:chuckle: Well, I don't know what else to say. I'm not a big fan of gamesmanship on draft day. I'd prefer to just line up the picks and go if I were running a team. There's something to be said for going after value, but I feel like most draft-day trades end up being executed with clouded judgement.

steelerdude15
03-17-2012, 12:04 AM
If we had two first round picks, I'd love for the Steelers to draft a guard and tackle.

BigNastyDefense
03-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Best player available that fills a need, as long as it's not a reach.

At #24, I would want to take Hightower, the ILB from Alabama. If he's there, we have to take him off the board. This guy was born to be a Steelers linebacker. We just cut Farrior, a guy who has been starting for us since 2002. Right now, the guy set to start next to Timmons is Larry Foote. That's only acceptable if the starter is injured, IMHO. Foote used to be a starter, but not anymore. Heck, he can start the season while Hightower gets acclimated to the NFL, but I would expect Hightower to be the starter by week six.

I am going to guess the team that would be taking Wallace away would be either the 49ers or the Patriots....so we'd have either the 30th or 31st pick. If Kevin Zeitler or Peter Konz of Wisconsin are there, I would draft one of them to play guard. Konz would also be the immediate backup to Pouncey.

Then, as long as he's there when we pick in the second round, I would draft Alameda Ta'amu the DT out of Washington. I know he's a third round grade, but he wouldn't be there when we pick in the 3rd round most likely and he wouldn't be a reach with how late our pick is and the fact that we need a guy who can legitimately play the nosetackle position with Hampton's knee injury and the fact that after this season he's likely gone. I would rather draft Ta'amu a bit earlier than expected and let him sit and learn behind Hampton than draft a guy next season and start a rookie at the lynchpin position of our defense.

The Duke
03-17-2012, 04:53 AM
At #24, I would want to take Hightower, the ILB from Alabama. If he's there, we have to take him off the board. This guy was born to be a Steelers linebacker. We just cut Farrior, a guy who has been starting for us since 2002. Right now, the guy set to start next to Timmons is Larry Foote. That's only acceptable if the starter is injured, IMHO. Foote used to be a starter, but not anymore. Heck, he can start the season while Hightower gets acclimated to the NFL, but I would expect Hightower to be the starter by week six.

I am going to guess the team that would be taking Wallace away would be either the 49ers or the Patriots....so we'd have either the 30th or 31st pick. If Kevin Zeitler or Peter Konz of Wisconsin are there, I would draft one of them to play guard. Konz would also be the immediate backup to Pouncey.

I like it!

I''m not convinced Hightower should be our 1st round pick since we have so much invested in our linebackers already, but with two first round picks we could certainly pick him AND a tackle/guard

either that, or trade up for a chance at DeCastro

GBMelBlount
03-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I like it!

I''m not convinced Hightower should be our 1st round pick since we have so much invested in our linebackers already, but with two first round picks we could certainly pick him AND a tackle/guard

either that, or trade up for a chance at DeCastro

This is my thought as well.

We have arguably the best linebacking corps in the nfl while our offensive line is extremely mediocre.

So putting it in that context I feel the need on the two lines is more pressing.

While I realize there is a marked droppoff at ILB after Hightower it sounds as though there may be some good converts (like we did with timmons I believe) if we wait until the 2nd or 3rd round.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Apparently the Patriots are about to sign Brandon Lloyd.

I think it might be time for us to stop worrying about Wallace leaving.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 07:53 AM

The only other threat would the broncos if he signed Peyton Manning.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:28 AM

This.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:29 AM

Why would that be? You think San Francisco is satisfied with the fact the Randy Moss and Michael Crabtree are their receiving corp?

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2012, 09:53 AM
Why would that be? You think San Francisco is satisfied with the fact the Randy Moss and Michael Crabtree are their receiving corp?

No, because San Fran is in talks with Brandon Lloyd and Mario Manningham, a restricted free agent hasn't been snagged from his home team since 2006, and you're brainwashed by the media like most of the rest of the world

43Hitman
03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
No, because San Fran is in talks with Brandon Lloyd and Mario Manningham, a restricted free agent hasn't been snagged from his home team since 2006, and you're brainwashed by the media like most of the rest of the world

Lloyd is about to sign with the Pats and Manningham and the 9'ers deal fell through.

43Hitman
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
And honestly I don't really care if we lose Wallace, we can't afford him anyways and I think Brown is a more complete reciever. I would rather pay him.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Clearing up RFA compensation, new NFL documents says "its own [draft pick] or better." Example, Bengals would be #17, Patriots #27, etc

https://twitter.com/#!/nfldraftscout/status/181032818208542720

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 11:23 AM

I don't see any threats for Wallace remaining other than maybe, as you say, the 49ers - but I don't think they are really all that interested. Not much reasoning behind that other than gut feeling.

I could see the Bengals contemplating it, but are they really going to give up the 17th overall pick? Pretty steep. And Green is already an elite verticle threat.

I just don't see it. Add to that the fact that restricted free agents never get signed away and I'd bet the mortgage right now that Wallace is a Steeler next year.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Maybe the Broncos will make an offer to wallace, if they have Peyton...

O'Malley
03-17-2012, 12:15 PM
And honestly I don't really care if we lose Wallace, we can't afford him anyways and I think Brown is a more complete reciever. I would rather pay him.

This^... As much as I like Wallace, the team will be fine with or without!

Iron Steeler
03-17-2012, 01:42 PM
This^... As much as I like Wallace, the team will be fine with or without!

Ya maybe tomlin wasn't kidding when he called him a one trick pony

O'Malley
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Ya maybe tomlin wasn't kidding when he called him a one trick pony

Might be true... Brown IMO has come around as a more complete receiver.. But Arians may have had something to do with that using Mike as a deep threat/decoy... I would love to see Mike as a Steeler and come full circle and become a complete receiver.. But IMO no receiver is worth what others are getting paid.. 10 million a season is to much to put in to a receiver.. That said I do hope they come to a deal.. Just one both sides can agree on and one that doesn't effect the team in cap space and ego.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Lloyd is about to sign with the Pats and Manningham and the 9'ers deal fell through.

he just left to visit the rams, doesnt mean it fell through at all. he's the most sought after WR in free agency other than brandon lloyd, he's going to weigh his options

86WARD
03-17-2012, 04:05 PM

And Brandon Lloyd and/or Mario Manningham is a number one receiver? Arguably not even a #2...lol. Lloyd is negotiating with the Pats right now/Manningham left San Fran and is on his way to the Rams. Just because 2006 was the last time a RFA left a team doesn't mean it can't happen. All I'm saying is if someone wants Wallace. He's more or less theirs...

86WARD
03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
he just left to visit the rams, doesnt mean it fell through at all. he's the most sought after WR in free agency other than brandon lloyd, he's going to weigh his options

Manningham weighing his options. Because he's the Peyton Manning of WRs? At this point in free agency, if players leave towns without contracts, they are most likely not signing with that team. That's just the facts. More times than not, if a deal doesn;t happen on a visit, it's not happening later. Just like RFA's never sign with new teams...since 2006...lol.

Count Steeler
03-17-2012, 05:05 PM
If Wallace goes, use the 2 first round picks to pickup an ILB and a G. Depends who is available and what extra pick we get.

Better yet, with the higher first rounder, take BPA. With the second pick, take best available G or ILB.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2012, 05:24 PM
And Brandon Lloyd and/or Mario Manningham is a number one receiver? Arguably not even a #2...lol. Lloyd is negotiating with the Pats right now/Manningham left San Fran and is on his way to the Rams. Just because 2006 was the last time a RFA left a team doesn't mean it can't happen. All I'm saying is if someone wants Wallace. He's more or less theirs...

:lol: of course they are! Lloyd was an All-Pro receiver just a year ago, and still managed to make his insane body control catches with the Rams anemic offense. Manningham has been a staple all-around stalwart since Plaxico left; im assuming you arent aware that theres a 2nd steve smith in the league. Despite the clamoring of praise for the giants' receiving corp this season, they've had a great one for years now, before the arrival of nicks and cruz. Manningham isnt some product leeching off better. He was very productive before nicks and cruz. It started up top with guess who? If someone wanted Wallace so bad, why hasnt anyone heard anything active about the situation yet? Even the rumor-mongering sources like PFT, NBC, rotoworld, and la canfora havent come up with anything yet :lol:.

Manningham weighing his options. Because he's the Peyton Manning of WRs? At this point in free agency, if players leave towns without contracts, they are most likely not signing with that team. That's just the facts. More times than not, if a deal doesn;t happen on a visit, it's not happening later. Just like RFA's never sign with new teams...since 2006...lol.

No, because the only UFA wide receiver that's going to garner a bigger market value than him is Brandon Lloyd. It's a "fact" that a highly sought after player isnt going to sign with a team if he travels to visit another team? According to your next sentence, that's not a "fact" anymore, it's just a "more times than not" situation. So which one is it? Why would you suggest a restricted free agent will never sign with a new team? How silly :)

GodfatherofSoul
03-17-2012, 05:58 PM
So hard to say who's going to drop to our pick. My general opinion is you trade away the really high picks that won't get you talent you need (e.g. top ten in 1st round if there were no good OTs available) to teams that really want them. Otherwise, you take the most talented players because at the lower levels there isn't going to be a wide a difference in talent.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
:lol: of course they are! Lloyd was an All-Pro receiver just a year ago, and still managed to make his insane body control catches with the Rams anemic offense. Manningham has been a staple all-around stalwart since Plaxico left; im assuming you arent aware that theres a 2nd steve smith in the league. Despite the clamoring of praise for the giants' receiving corp this season, they've had a great one for years now, before the arrival of nicks and cruz. Manningham isnt some product leeching off better. He was very productive before nicks and cruz. It started up top with guess who? If someone wanted Wallace so bad, why hasnt anyone heard anything active about the situation yet? Even the rumor-mongering sources like PFT, NBC, rotoworld, and la canfora havent come up with anything yet :lol:.

No they aren't...lol. FAR FAR FAR from #1 talent. Far from it. He's never put close to #1 numbers up...lol. Come on. The reason no one has stepped up for Wallace is because it takes up to a week to do so. If a team made an offer early on in Free Agency, their money would be tied up for up to a week while the Steelers decided to match or not. In turn, it would become difficult for a team to address other areas on the team not knowing what money would be available. As history shows, RFA's usually begin getting their "offers" after the dust settles. It's the nature of the beast.

No, because the only UFA wide receiver that's going to garner a bigger market value than him is Brandon Lloyd. It's a "fact" that a highly sought after player isnt going to sign with a team if he travels to visit another team? According to your next sentence, that's not a "fact" anymore, it's just a "more times than not" situation. So which one is it? Why would you suggest a restricted free agent will never sign with a new team? How silly :)

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-working-on-contract-detail-with-wr-mario-mannhingham/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/03/17/patriots_have_brandon_lloyd_and_laron_landry_on_th eir_radar/?camp=misc:on:twit:young

Wonder why'd they be negotiating with these teams...seeing that they both visited San Fran earlier...lol. I said that's the "facts" not a "fact." History (facts) shows that it happens more times than not. Sorry, I'll spell it out next time. WHy wouldn't I suggewst a RFA not sign with another team? It's everyone's reason why there's no chance he will leave this season...all I'm saying is there is a possibility and it would be rather easy for a team to do it, given the Steelers cap situation, if a team really wanted him.

I'd be more than happy if he stayed...don't get me wrong. I'm just not ruling it out that a team will create a contract that the Steelers can't match. Like some people are...

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Patriots Agree To Terms With Rams Free Agent WR Brandon Lloyd (http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/185001-patriots-agree-terms-rams-free-agent-wr.html)

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
So, no Wallace with the patriots.

My worst nightmare will not happen.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Welker - RFA
Lloyd and Gonzalez added today.

Hopefully this eliminates the Pats altogether. They weren't really who I was worried about. San Francisco is my worry...

Count Steeler
03-17-2012, 07:58 PM
So, no Wallace with the patriots.

My worst nightmare will not happen.

At least not this year.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Waiting to snag Antonio next year?!?

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Welker - RFA
Lloyd and Gonzalez added today.

Hopefully this eliminates the Pats altogether. They weren't really who I was worried about. San Francisco is my worry...

it would be less painful if this is the 49ers.it would have been a big nightmare to see Wallace with the patriots.

The Broncos may be a threat if they have Manning, but I think that Wallace will remain with the Steelers.

Count Steeler
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Waiting to snag Antonio next year?!?

If Wallace only signs for 1 year, we have Brown, Sanders and Wallace up for new contracts next year. Good problem for this coming season, because they will all play hungry. Potentially bad problem, depending where the cap lands and how much money the Steelers want to commit to one position. Wallace will be the UFA, so my guess is he walks next year, unless the Steelers lock him up. If they lock up Wallace, how much are they going to pay Brown and Sanders. My guess is that at least 1 of the 3 don't make it to 2013.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Denver may not have the cash after signing Manning...neither may the Niners if they get him...

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Denver may not have the cash after signing Manning...neither may the Niners if they get him...

The Broncos have 40 million under the cap right now

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:09 PM
At least not this year.

Let's start with the 2012 season!

Otherwise, the Steelers can get along with a long-term contract or put the TAG on Wallace...The Steelers have said that was a big priority of signed Wallace.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah of that's the case...they probably could, but it would depend on the Manning deal and how it's broken down. Wallace will be at least $10+M in the first year to ensure the Steelers can't match. Then they need money for draft picks and anything else they need to address...so they probably could if Manning's deal is Bronco friendly.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:16 PM
The only team I see making an offer to Wallace, these are the broncos if they have Manning.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
If Wallace only signs for 1 year, we have Brown, Sanders and Wallace up for new contracts next year. Good problem for this coming season, because they will all play hungry. Potentially bad problem, depending where the cap lands and how much money the Steelers want to commit to one position. Wallace will be the UFA, so my guess is he walks next year, unless the Steelers lock him up. If they lock up Wallace, how much are they going to pay Brown and Sanders. My guess is that at least 1 of the 3 don't make it to 2013.

That's the nightmare I'm afraid of. I think ultimately, you'll be able to keep two of the three. If you pay crazy money to Wallace, you're going to have to turn around and do the same to Brown if he has a season like he did this year...this has to be handled very carefully by the front office.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Patriots Agree To Terms With Rams Free Agent WR Brandon Lloyd (http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/185001-patriots-agree-terms-rams-free-agent-wr.html)

Definitely not #1 money...

Brandon Lloyd's deal with Pats is 3yrs/$12M [https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/181188375062130688]

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Definitely not #1 money...

Brandon Lloyd's deal with Pats is 3yrs/$12M [https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/181188375062130688]

But Welker made right now 9.5 million

The patriots will keep their two first round pick for improving their defense.

fansince'76
03-17-2012, 08:45 PM

In that scenario Sanders becomes expendable, IMO.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Remember that the Steelers have signed Ike Taylor, Woodley, Polamalu and Timmons in the last off-season.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
But Welker made right now 9.5 million

The patriots will keep their two first round pick for improving their defense.

Yep...IMO.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
In that scenario Sanders becomes expendable, IMO.

When I open "my book," it reads the same...lol.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 10:41 PM

There ya go...San Fran got their #1 guy on a bounce back!!!!!

Mario Manningham agrees to two-year deal with 49ers.

BigNastyDefense
03-18-2012, 01:27 AM
It looks like Wallace will be a Steeler at the least on the one year tender the Steelers put on him.

I agree that if we have to make one of the three expendable to resign two, I would rather let Sanders walk. But Brown & Sanders will both be RFA's. Brown will get the first round tender, and Sanders will get a second or third round tender depending on his performance this season.

If I had to choose between Wallace and Brown, I would take Brown. Wallace is an excellent receiver, but he's really just shown that he is "One Trick." Browns however has become a much more complete receiver and is an electric return man who can change the game with one return. And while he is likely not going to be the main return guy this season as our #2 or even #1 receiver, I can see him being used to give a spark much like Santonio Holmes was used.

Honestly, I would much rather lose Wallace this season than next. We'd get a first rounder in return for him. If we lose him after next season, best we can get is a 3rd round comp pick.

suitanim
03-18-2012, 07:07 AM
I think if you remove Wallace, Brown will become less effective. I've seen that happen dozens of times over the years, both from the stanpoint of a #1 losing his #2 and the #1's production dropping, as well as a #2 losing his #1, stepping into the #1 role and not delivering as expected.

Best case scenario is to keep both.

86WARD
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
I think if you remove Wallace, Brown will become less effective. I've seen that happen dozens of times over the years, both from the stanpoint of a #1 losing his #2 and the #1's production dropping, as well as a #2 losing his #1, stepping into the #1 role and not delivering as expected.

Agree suit. I think this is definitely one of those cases where you need both guys and in turn they both are super productive.

polamalubeast
03-18-2012, 09:09 AM
The Steelers said it was a big priority to keep Wallace in the long term.

I think that Wallace will sign a long term contract in the next 5 months.

tube517
03-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Yep. I agree. I remember when Yancey Thigpen got hurt in 96 and then left after the 97 season. Ernie Mills left after 96 season. We had Charles Johnson and Andre Hastings. They were good but not great receivers. Add Kordillyo, the 98-99 nightmare and you have a struggling passing game.

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Wonder why'd they be negotiating with these teams...seeing that they both visited San Fran earlier...lol. I said that's the "facts" not a "fact." History (facts) shows that it happens more times than not. Sorry, I'll spell it out next time.

i just told you why. and yeah you probably should spell everything out if you're going to distort the meaning of all previous posts. Pretty sure "history" and "facts" arent interchangeable synonyms.

There ya go...San Fran got their #1 guy on a bounce back!!!!!

Mario Manningham agrees to two-year deal with 49ers.

my point exactly. young-receiver sprung with a team in rebuild, or a championship caliber team with a receiver demand. Easy choice.

Dino 6 Rings
03-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I'd like a real Nose Tackle to eventually replace Hampton.

Psycho Ward 86
03-18-2012, 09:12 PM
anyone know what kind of potential cheap NT's are left in free agency?

SteelGhost
03-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Absolutely.

For next offseason the FO can TAG Brown to buy time to work a good deal and we can keep BOTH for a long time.

steelreserve
03-19-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't think I even have to read the rest of the posts to guess that everyone's going to say "draft two offensive linemen" and then act shocked if it doesn't happen.

oneforthetoe
03-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Absolutely.

For next offseason the FO can TAG Brown to buy time to work a good deal and we can keep BOTH for a long time.

There is no need to tag Brown next year. As was mentioned above, he will be a RFA. Put a first round tender on him and it is very unlikely anyone would try and take him.

Chidi29
03-19-2012, 02:00 AM

Answer is simple. Wallace gets to cash in, Brown and Sanders are RFAs and are tendered.

We have the same discussion about Brown and Sanders being plucked by other teams next year.

Nothing happens.

By the time we have to ink Brown and Sanders long term, who knows what the cap will look like. Way too far down the road to try and predict things.

polamalubeast
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Wallace with the Broncos?....Maybe yes..

SteelGhost
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
There is no need to tag Brown next year. As was mentioned above, he will be a RFA. Put a first round tender on him and it is very unlikely anyone would try and take him.

Yep, Brown will be a RFA, but IMHO he's better than Wallace and another team can offer more money for him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-20-2012, 10:29 AM
I will gladly take a 1st rounder for Wallace at this point. Somebody else will pay him $10 mil a season in 2013 and we will receive no compensation. I think the odds are against it happening, but its not impossible.

If the Steelers had 2 1st round picks, I would look at something like BPA in any 2 of the 3 categories of OG, ILB, NT. Zeitler-Hightower or Hightower-Ta'amu, Zeiltler- Ta'amu. I think Glenn will be gone. Personally I like Zeitler and Ta'amu. Then get a FA ILB and James Michael Johnson in the 3rd and a WR in the 2nd.