PDA

View Full Version : Gay wants to stick around.

zulater
03-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Cornerback William Gay, one of more than 15 Steelers players who were free to negotiate with other teams as of 4 p.m. Tuesday, said he hopes to stay with the team.

"They expressed interest that they wanted me back, which is good because I want to stay," Gay said Tuesday on TribLive Radio, shortly before the start of the NFL's new year and the free-agent signing period. "I hope I'll be in a Steelers uniform next year."

Gay is an unrestricted free agent and the fifth-year veteran is coming off his best season as a professional. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder tied for the Steelers lead in interceptions (two) last season and tied for second in passes defended (13).

Gay, who started every game after overtaking Bryant McFadden in the second week of the season, also recorded 56 tackles, the sixth-most on the team.

The Steelers terminated McFadden's contract last month, but they are high on second-year cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown.

The team has little flexibility under the salary cap, and it will have to make more roster moves to sign free agents -- its own and any from outside of the organization.

The Steelers, who didn't make any moves on the first day of free agency, are less than $2 million under the cap. Spending limitations at the end of the NFL lockout last year didn't stop the Steelers from signing a handful of their own free agents, including Gay.

"I want to do everything that I can to stay and hope the Steelers are willing to do everything they can to keep me," Gay said, "because I love competing with these guys."

Read more: Steelers' Gay wants to stick around - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_786359.html#ixzz1p5MUvvEX

I wouldn't have believed it 3 years ago, but I really hope they manage to keep Gay. He had a strong season last year, and I'm not sure the young guys are quite ready to step up yet?

Keenan Lewis is also a free agent, but I think teams would have to give up a 3rd rounder if they poach him. So I don't see Lewis leaving.

suitanim
03-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Unless they are drafting a CB in the first round, or signing a top-notch FA who fits our system (and I don['t see the Steelers doing either), I think we have to stick with the devil we know.

(Sigh)

ShutDown24
03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
I'd like the Steelers to keep Gay, but is there really room on the roster for him at this point? I feel like it was always going to be Gay or Lewis that would end up sticking around - not both. I could be wrong, but I just don't see him coming back unless he is unable to find work elsewhere and the team re-signs him during the season (won't happen - he'll sign somewhere else, I'm sure).

If we look at the depth chart as it appears now:

1. Ike Taylor
2. Keenan Lewis
3. Cortez Allen (Or Brown)
4. Curtis Brown (Or Allen)
5. Walter McFadden/Myron Rolle/Antonio Smith
6. McFadden/Rolle/Smith/Rookie?

Gay is certainly better than any of the three guys on future contracts, but does the team want to bring him back which would mean less playing time for the younger guys? I'm not sure. I would have a tough time making the decision myself.

The Duke
03-14-2012, 10:49 AM
I think he'll test the market but will probably sign a late contract with us like last season, just obviously not late in TC this time

Hope the battle for #2 comes down to Cortez and Lewis though

tube517
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm sure Arizona will take a look

suitanim
03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I was (and still am) hoping for a LOT more from Curtis Brown.

Chidi29
03-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I was (and still am) hoping for a LOT more from Curtis Brown.

Tomlin seemed really impressed with his rookie year, even if it was mainly as a gunner. LeBeau's defense is obviously complicated, any NFL defense takes a transition period, and some guys are a little slower in that progress than others.

I still have high hopes.

SteelGhost
03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Cornerback William Gay, one of more than 15 Steelers players who were free to negotiate with other teams as of 4 p.m. Tuesday, said he hopes to stay with the team.

"They expressed interest that they wanted me back, which is good because I want to stay," Gay said Tuesday on TribLive Radio, shortly before the start of the NFL's new year and the free-agent signing period. "I hope I'll be in a Steelers uniform next year."

Gay is an unrestricted free agent and the fifth-year veteran is coming off his best season as a professional. The 5-foot-10, 190-pounder tied for the Steelers lead in interceptions (two) last season and tied for second in passes defended (13).

Gay, who started every game after overtaking Bryant McFadden in the second week of the season, also recorded 56 tackles, the sixth-most on the team.

The Steelers terminated McFadden's contract last month, but they are high on second-year cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown.

The team has little flexibility under the salary cap, and it will have to make more roster moves to sign free agents -- its own and any from outside of the organization.

The Steelers, who didn't make any moves on the first day of free agency, are less than $2 million under the cap. Spending limitations at the end of the NFL lockout last year didn't stop the Steelers from signing a handful of their own free agents, including Gay.

"I want to do everything that I can to stay and hope the Steelers are willing to do everything they can to keep me," Gay said, "because I love competing with these guys."

Read more: Steelers' Gay wants to stick around - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_786359.html#ixzz1p5MUvvEX

I wouldn't have believed it 3 years ago, but I really hope they manage to keep Gay. He had a strong season last year, and I'm not sure the young guys are quite ready to step up yet?

Keenan Lewis is also a free agent, but I think teams would have to give up a 3rd rounder if they poach him. So I don't see Lewis leaving.

+1

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd like the Steelers to keep Gay, but is there really room on the roster for him at this point? I feel like it was always going to be Gay or Lewis that would end up sticking around - not both. I could be wrong, but I just don't see him coming back unless he is unable to find work elsewhere and the team re-signs him during the season (won't happen - he'll sign somewhere else, I'm sure).

If we look at the depth chart as it appears now:

1. Ike Taylor
2. Keenan Lewis
3. Cortez Allen (Or Brown)
4. Curtis Brown (Or Allen)
5. Walter McFadden/Myron Rolle/Antonio Smith
6. McFadden/Rolle/Smith/Rookie?

Gay is certainly better than any of the three guys on future contracts, but does the team want to bring him back which would mean less playing time for the younger guys? I'm not sure. I would have a tough time making the decision myself.

LOL are you seriously suggesting neither Cortez Allen nor Curtis Brown would be reasonable ejections for Gay? You do know they havent even started a game right? Did you also know Gay isnt 35 years old? :lol:

ShutDown24
03-14-2012, 07:17 PM
LOL are you seriously suggesting neither Cortez Allen nor Curtis Brown would be reasonable ejections for Gay? You do know they havent even started a game right? Did you also know Gay isnt 35 years old? :lol:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

If by "ejections" you mean cutting Allen or Brown for Gay, I absolutley would not cut either for him. Both players have far more upside; true starting potential. Gay has played well for the team and has proven himself as a streaky starter. I think he's a very solid player. But to rid yourself of two guys with the kind of talent Allen and Brown displayed during their rookie seasons would be silly - and not a typical decision the Steelers would make.