PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Offer Wallace, Five Others 1-year deals

fansince'76
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
By Scott Brown, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Monday, March 12, 2012

The Steelers have made one-year contract offers to six of their restricted free agents, including Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace.

The Steelers offered Wallace a one-year contract worth $2.742 million, and they have the right to match any deal that another team dangles in front of the two-time, 1,000-yard receiver. If Wallace signs elsewhere, the Steelers receive that team's first-round pick as compensation.

The Steelers are believed to have offered one-year, $1.26 million deals to cornerback Keenan Lewis, guards Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky, safety Ryan Mundy and tight end David Johnson.

Read more: Steelers Offer Wallace, Five Others 1-year deals (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_786145.html)

XxKnightxX
03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
1.26 Million for Lewis? eeesh so does that mean Willie Gay is out of the picture? I like the signing of foster and Legursky. Much needed to keep the O line stable.

polamalubeast
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
We should know the future of Wallace in the coming days ...

SteelGhost
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
1.26 Million for Lewis? eeesh so does that mean Willie Gay is out of the picture? I like the signing of foster and Legursky. Much needed to keep the O line stable.

That's what I was thinking, I'm surprised there's no offer for William Gay, he played well last season.

polamalubeast
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Gay is a UFA....

ShutDown24
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
I like all the offers. It seems a little high for Lewis, but the coaching staff must like his potential. I hope it works out.

Galax Steeler
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess the Wallace saga will be in full force tomorrow.

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I like all the offers. It seems a little high for Lewis, but the coaching staff must like his potential. I hope it works out.

Everyone besides Wallace was tendered at lowest one possible, the original round tender.

That means that we have right of first refusal to Legursky and Foster, get a 6th for Mundy if he leaves, a 7th for Johnson, and I believe I 4th for Lewis.

Meredith was the only RFA that was not tendered.

Alll UFAs have been allowed to hit the open market, reason being Gay has not been signed. Same with every other UFA.

Count Steeler
03-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I guess if I was a bear in hibernation, now would be a good time to start to wake up. Should be some interesting action in the next couple of weeks.

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2012, 05:03 PM
its going to be very interesting to see the starting 53 next season.

how many can we name now?

Defense
Hood/Keisel
Hampton
Hayward
Foote
Timmons
Woodley
Harrison
Troy
Clark
Ike
?

Offense
Ben
Redman
Miller
?
Gilbert
Pouncey
?
?
?
Sanders
Brown
?

kicker punter?

woah...

steelerdude15
03-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Does anyone get the feeling the Steelers are pushing Mike away? As in, the FO is trying to get rid of him for the extra pick? Just an theory I've been wondering about.

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Does anyone get the feeling the Steelers are pushing Mike away? As in, the FO is trying to get rid of him for the extra pick? Just an theory I've been wondering about.

The team has come out and flatly said they want him back. There's no reason to think they wouldn't. Why do you think otherwise?

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
its going to be very interesting to see the starting 53 next season.

how many can we name now?

Defense
Hood/Keisel
Hampton
Hayward
Foote
Timmons
Woodley
Harrison
Troy
Clark
Ike
?

Offense
Ben
Redman
Miller
?
Gilbert
Pouncey
?
?
?
Sanders
Brown
?

kicker punter?

woah...

I'd add Colon to a starter on offense. Kapinos as a punter on special teams.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2012, 05:38 PM
The team has come out and flatly said they want him back. There's no reason to think they wouldn't. Why do you think otherwise?

I agree. It is simply going to come down to money.

ALLD
03-12-2012, 05:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0OWGUidc

I would bet the farm.

tube517
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Nope. They want him back. They've said it several times. Usually, if they don't want you back, they will not comment (i.e. Hines)

SteelGhost
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Gay is a UFA....

My bad, he he. Anyway I would like him to come back next season. Now that (finally!) BMac is gone we need depth.

BigNastyDefense
03-12-2012, 08:32 PM

I don't think so. What the Steelers did here is simply give him the first round tender so all teams know what they have to give up to sign Mike Wallace. The Steelers are going to keep negotiating with Wallace until he either signs with the Steelers or signs an offer sheet from another team and the Steelers do not match it.

The Steelers are going to use this to see what fair market value is for Mike Wallace. He doesn't have to sign any tender from another team. He could take the money offered and tell the Steelers this is what I have been offered, and they can use that amount total to figure out a long-term contract for him by spreading out what might be a front loaded signing bonus into one spread out over the length of the deal. The Steelers can keep negotiating with him on a long-term deal, they don't have to simply sit and wait and hope to match something offered by another team.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Randy Moss agrees to a deal with the 49ers! Breaking news on NFL.com! That's who i was most afraid would take him. Well at least that helps our chances of keeping him substantially

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Randy Moss agrees to a deal with the 49ers! Breaking news on NFL.com! That's who i was most afraid would take him. Well at least that helps our chances of keeping him substantially

To be fair, signing Randy Moss isn't going to stop them from going after Wallace if they want him. I assume Moss just got a one year deal and they're likely to lose Josh Morgan.

polamalubeast
03-12-2012, 08:48 PM

maybe that the 49ers are now out.

The Pats may be a threat as the other team like the bears, bengals and broncos.

Ryan Clark thinks that Wallace will leave the steelers.

steelerdude15
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Its just that they haven't offered him a long term contract nor did they tag him. It was just a simple thought, believe me, I want him back too.

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Its just that they haven't offered him a long term contract nor did they tag him. It was just a simple thought, believe me, I want him back too.

There's no reason to shell out the extra dough when we're still not in great cap shape until we have to. If we can save the money, then you do it.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Ryan Clark thinks that Wallace will leave the steelers.

You know, Wallace felt he was going to have 2000 yards this season.

Instead he ends up with about half that and is arguably upstaged by Antonio Brown in many ways...

I would not be shocked if Wallace was looking for something "better"

Just sayin.

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
You know, Wallace felt he was going to have 2000 yards this season.

Instead he ends up with about half that and is arguably upstaged by Antonio Brown in many ways...

I would not be shocked if Wallace was looking for something "better"

Just sayin.

It's not in Wallace's hands if he stays or goes.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2012, 10:35 PM
It's not in Wallace's hands if he stays or goes.

So if Wallace gets an offer he does not have the option to accept it or not?

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM

Yes, he does get the option. But the only thing that is more unlikely that Wallace getting an offer sheet is him not signing it. He wants to get paid like any other player.

Steeltreal
03-12-2012, 11:33 PM
If Gay doesn't resign. All the DBs are 3rd round or lower. Interesting to see if the BPA at 24 happens to be a CornerBack. Kirkpatrick over Hightower easy choice.

Edman
03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
The Steelers want Mike Wallace back, but the problem is he didn't exactly dazzle in his contract year with his late-season disappearance. That's why they're a little reluctant throwing big time money at this guy. Big-Time recievers are those like Larry Fitzgerald and Hines Ward (In his Prime) who give it their all every game. Not saying Wallace is lazy, but he isn't a big-time reciever. He's a deep threat, but the rest of his game still needs polish.

Austin87
03-13-2012, 05:21 AM
The Steelers want Mike Wallace back, but the problem is he didn't exactly dazzle in his contract year with his late-season disappearance. That's why they're a little reluctant throwing big time money at this guy. Big-Time recievers are those like Larry Fitzgerald and Hines Ward (In his Prime) who give it their all every game. Not saying Wallace is lazy, but he isn't a big-time reciever. He's a deep threat, but the rest of his game still needs polish.

I agree that Mike Wallace needs to work on the rest of his game. But I have to disagree with you that the Steelers are afraid to throw big money at the guy based on his late season disappearance. The Steelers have made it clear that they want to keep Wallace. I think it is the Steelers' cap situation rather than Mike's late season disappearance that is in the way of a long term contract. IMO if they had the cap space they probably would have signed Wallace to a long term deal by know.

SteelMember
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Ten quick thoughts as league year kicks off with free agency

• Restricted free agents will stay restricted. We spent a lot of time talking about the possibility of a restricted free agent getting plundered, particularly Pittsburgh Steelers WR Mike Wallace. Don't think it'll happen, though. The Baltimore Ravens have decided against it, and it would be tough cap-wise for the New England Patriots to pull off the kind of offer sheet necessary. The Bengals have other needs. San Francisco would be the team I'd fear most if I was in Pittsburgh's front office between now and the April 20 deadline to sign a restricted free agent, but the Niners just signed Randy Moss as a vertical threat. When push comes to shove, I suspect the Steelers are OK. The history of restricted free agency would indicate not much action, and even though the first-and-third tender no longer exists, I predict it'll remain a quiet market.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8279010b/article/ten-quick-thoughts-as-league-year-kicks-off-with-free-agency?module=HP11_cp

BigNastyDefense
03-13-2012, 02:02 PM

And the Steelers have the option to match it, which makes the other team's tender moot because Wallace would then be coming back to the Steelers on the terms of said tender.