PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tolbert Lists Steelers As A Team On His Free Agent Radar

polamalubeast
03-12-2012, 02:15 PM
http://burgh.us/dcp

steeldawg
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I like tolbert

stillers4me
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Is hee willing to work cheap?

suitanim
03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
That would be a nice dream...unfortunately it will probably have to remain a dream.

Hindes204
03-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Never going to happen

SteelGhost
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
It would be AWESOME to have Tolbert in B & G, but we're cap strapped and I don't think he wants to come cheap.

ShutDown24
03-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Depending on what other teams are interested, I could see it happening. I don't think too many other teams are going to break the bank for him. Look at the market for runningbacks right now. It probably isn't going to take place, but I don't think it's that far fetched.

steelerdude15
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't think its going to happen, but who knows, maybe it could.

ALLD
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Why didn't he mention Buffalo or Jacksonville?

SteelerFanInStl
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Tolbert's nothing special. Nothing to get excited over.

SteelGhost
03-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Why didn't he mention Buffalo or Jacksonville?

Because they suck ? :chuckle:

The Duke
03-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Tolbert's perfect destination is Tampa in Earnest Graham's role

I see no way he comes here

Austin87
03-13-2012, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't mind if the Steelers had a look at someone like Tolbert or Addai, unfortunately they are out of our price range. Would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

suitanim
03-13-2012, 08:31 AM
To the people claiming Tolbert is nothing special, one question:

Really?

Guy averages over 4 YPC. He only lays the ball down on average 2 times a season. He caught FIFTY FOUR passes last year. He runs for power, just like what everyone is always clamoring for from Steelers RB's. He'd be a PERFECT fit for the Steelers, and I really don't even care if he and Redman are similar types of backs the more that I think about it. If there's a way to get him, we should...

Hindes204
03-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Really?

Guy averages over 4 YPC. He only lays the ball down on average 2 times a season. He caught FIFTY FOUR passes last year. He runs for power, just like what everyone is always clamoring for from Steelers RB's. He'd be a PERFECT fit for the Steelers, and I really don't even care if he and Redman are similar types of backs the more that I think about it. If there's a way to get him, we should...

I was also scratching my head reading some of the posts. Tolbert has plenty of skill and would fit perfectly into our system. However, like I said before, itll never happen, no reason to continue debating whether or not he is good enough.

BlastFurnace
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
He isn't coming to Pittsburgh. There is a better chance that Mewelde Moore comes back than Tolbert.

Pristas
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM

Really?

100% agree with Suit. And why couldn't we get him? If Wallace is gone, and with everyone struggling against a cap, we could probably afford this guy. And he would seriously push Redman and Batch/Dwyer. I like the way he runs.

suitanim
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not saying it's going to happen. Probably won't. BUT, a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, and if Mendy is really going to miss a chunk of the year, I'd rather go with the proven commodity than guess on a later round draft pick (which is probably where we'd be picking from). Some things would have to line up right, but it's not impossible.

I keep hearing from Browns fans how we're going after Hillis. I don't see that happening. Why would we want an often injured crazy man who wants to join the CIA?

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2012, 05:57 PM

Really?

He's averaged 4 ypc each of the last two seasons when Ryan Mathews has averaged 4.3 and 4.9 ypc running behind the same line. He can catch out of the backfield but so can Mendy and we never throw to him. He's a powerful runner who doesn't fumble but I don't see him as an every down back and I don't see anything in him that leads me to believe that he's any better than Redman. I could be wrong but I don't see Tolbert as the next Michael Turner. I've never seen anything from him that made him stand out in my mind.

I'm not against signing him if he comes at a decent price.

suitanim
03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
He's averaged 4 ypc each of the last two seasons when Ryan Mathews has averaged 4.3 and 4.9 ypc running behind the same line. He can catch out of the backfield but so can Mendy and we never throw to him. He's a powerful runner who doesn't fumble but I don't see him as an every down back and I don't see anything in him that leads me to believe that he's any better than Redman. I could be wrong but I don't see Tolbert as the next Michael Turner. I've never seen anything from him that made him stand out in my mind.

I'm not against signing him if he comes at a decent price.

What's most interesting about your argument is that it's almost virtually exactly the same situation as Mendy/Redman (although Redman did not get enough starting-type carries to lower his YPC). Matthews is faster and shiftier, Tolbert more of a straight-ahead bruiser. It's funny, because when Matthews would look ineffective at times, all the SD fans would be clamoring that he juked too much and they needed to put in Tolbert because he just ran north-south.

Sound familiar?

Tolbert also suffered a bit because when they were both healthy and in RBBC, Tolbert got the goalline and short yardage looks, which also naturally lower your YPC.

XxKnightxX
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Tolbert is a no nonsense back. You put him in there and he does whatever the hell you ask him to. He runs north/south, he catches, and he pass blocks. He understands his role in an offense and I think he just wants a job somewhere. IF hes willing to come in for cheap ill take him.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
What's most interesting about your argument is that it's almost virtually exactly the same situation as Mendy/Redman (although Redman did not get enough starting-type carries to lower his YPC). Matthews is faster and shiftier, Tolbert more of a straight-ahead bruiser. It's funny, because when Matthews would look ineffective at times, all the SD fans would be clamoring that he juked too much and they needed to put in Tolbert because he just ran north-south.

Sound familiar?

Tolbert also suffered a bit because when they were both healthy and in RBBC, Tolbert got the goalline and short yardage looks, which also naturally lower your YPC.

It's the nature of the beast. Everyone likes the backup.

steelreserve
03-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I guess Tolbert doesn't know we're broke. He may have to accept a roster bonus paid in Top Ramen.

ShutDown24
03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
I guess Tolbert doesn't know we're broke. He may have to accept a roster bonus paid in Top Ramen.

:lol: Awesome.

Tolbert is a very good back. More versatile than Redman with almost as much power. I'm surprised at the negative comments.

steelerdude15
03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, if he wants to come in as a cheap back, I'll take him over Moore.

suitanim
03-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Maybe the dude wants to win some football games?

polamalubeast
03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Mike Tolbert Expected To Land With Steelers Or Panthers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/report-mike-tolbert-expected-to-land-with-steelers-or-panthers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

BlastFurnace
03-16-2012, 10:19 PM
If he's using the Steelers as a ploy, he's not clearly not aware that it's well known that the Steelers have hardly any salary cap room.

Love to have him though.

60_MINUTES
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Steelers had a look at someone like Tolbert or Addai, unfortunately they are out of our price range. Would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

I would love to have Tolbert and I think he could actually come somewhat cheap... matter of fact I dont think we will resign Mendy next year so why not cut him and use his money to pay Tolbert...

As far as Addai....NO WAY!!!... the guy is worse then Mendy when it comes to dancing around the hole and besides he is always hurt.. on top of everything else we need someone to pound it a little like Tolbert would

by the way hello to everyone... in Steeler universe

tube517
03-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Tolbert needs to take a back seat to Tiki :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
03-16-2012, 10:51 PM
I would love to have Tolbert and I think he could actually come somewhat cheap... matter of fact I dont think we will resign Mendy next year so why not cut him and use his money to pay Tolbert...

As far as Addai....NO WAY!!!... the guy is worse then Mendy when it comes to dancing around the hole and besides he is always hurt.. on top of everything else we need someone to pound it a little like Tolbert would

by the way hello to everyone... in Steeler universe

Welcome!

Are you the same 60 Minutes at SN?

BlastFurnace
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Tolbert needs to take a back seat to Tiki :chuckle:

Who took a backseat to T.J. Duckett

SteelerEmpire
03-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Having Tolbert AND Redman would give the team a "fantasy status" backfield. He seems just as strong as Bettis was in his prime, but even a lil faster. Here's a highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeurG53N6KM

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't see how he fits in Carolina. And I haven't heard anything coming from the Steelers suggesting they are legitimately interested in Tolbert. I have a hard time believing either of these are the best fit for him from a salary standpoint. What is he going to do in Carolina? Ride the bench? Williams and Stewart are going to take up 97% of the carries. Unless they see him as a third down back, but I doubt he'd be all too happy with that role after showing he's an effective starter in this league.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd easily dump Mendenhall if I could sign Tolbert for any cheaper.

suitanim
03-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Still don't know if there's any veracity to this story, but I, for one, would be happy knowing that Redman isn't going it alone until Mendy heals up.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Bye Bye Mendenhall. Hello Tolbert and Wallace! lol...

Godfather
03-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Someone on another one of my message boards referred to Tolbert as Mike Tomlin. I made a joke about it because I thought he was talking about some obscure running back who happened to have the same name as our coach.

Turns out he meant Tolbert, but he said Tolbert and Tomlin scored the same number of fantasy points the previous week.

Edman
03-17-2012, 09:55 AM
If Tolbert is willing to take less, then go ahead.

The Steelers will likely have One RB going into 2012, so I don't mind Tolbert.

polamalubeast
03-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I think Pittsburgh is the leader for Tolbert, but how perfect would Carolina be? He'd join Turner, Brees, Sproles, Jackson in NFC South.

https://twitter.com/#!/UTKevinAcee/status/180846182472499200

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 11:11 AM
This is the first possible free agent signing I've been excited about in a while with the exception of Jerricho last year. I'm trying to stay reserved, but I hope this happens. I feel like he would move into the number one role and not let go for some time. I like Mendenhall and Redman, but Mike Tolbert is the complete package.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 12:28 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac/statuses/181064240487075842

Dulac says it ain't happening

BlastFurnace
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/gerrydulac/statuses/181064240487075842

Dulac says it ain't happening

Said that there isn't even a visit scheduled. Sounds like his agent just acting like there is interest to get San Diego to up their offer.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Said that there isn't even a visit scheduled. Sounds like his agent just acting like there is interest to get San Diego to up their offer.

I was hoping this wasn't the case. But I have to agree. I have been getting the feeling this was eerily similar to the Jeff Saturday-to-Steelers agent-driven move circa 2009. But I didn't want to jinx it if it were legit.

O'Malley
03-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I was under the impression that they could not get rid of Mendy due to injury... I thought we were stuck with him until he is healthy.. Am I wrong?

SteelerFanInStl
03-17-2012, 03:05 PM

The Chargers already signed Le'Ron McClain so I don't think that Tolbert will be re-signing with the Chargers.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I was under the impression that they could not get rid of Mendy due to injury... I thought we were stuck with him until he is healthy.. Am I wrong?

Chidi said in another discussion that due to unique rules this year from the new CBA (I believe), the injury penalties won't be enforced this off-season. So we could theoretically release him with only the normal cap penalties withstanding. I think it would be a difference of a million or two were we to release him.

Basically, the conclusion I came to when this was discussed a few weeks ago was that it really isn't worth it to release him. If we let him walk in free agency next year we'd probably have more to gain.

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Thread I'm referring to: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/12312-Should-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Release-Rashard-Mendenhall

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:28 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/184993-panthers-hosting-free-agent-rb-mike-tolbert.html

ShutDown24
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/184993-panthers-hosting-free-agent-rb-mike-tolbert.html

I don't get this. Williams/Stewart/Goodson is more than competent. I like Tolbert, but I don't see why Carolina is so interested.

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Maybe he's a cheaper alternative than Williams or Stewart? Gives the option to trade one of the two? I'm with you...I don't really get it either.

O'Malley
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Chidi said in another discussion that due to unique rules this year from the new CBA (I believe), the injury penalties won't be enforced this off-season. So we could theoretically release him with only the normal cap penalties withstanding. I think it would be a difference of a million or two were we to release him.

Basically, the conclusion I came to when this was discussed a few weeks ago was that it really isn't worth it to release him. If we let him walk in free agency next year we'd probably have more to gain.

Thank you!

polamalubeast
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
RB Mike Tolbert agrees to 4yr deal with Panthers

KeiselPower99
03-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Since it would appear Tolbert will be replace Jonathon Stewart I'd love to have him replace Mendenhall. Stewart is the back I wanted in that draft class.

suitanim
03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Since it would appear Tolbert will be replace Jonathon Stewart I'd love to have him replace Mendenhall. Stewart is the back I wanted in that draft class.

This would be trade bait, and the rumor is the Panthers want a second for him.

We ain't giving up a second....

XxKnightxX
03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Time to lock this thread if you ask me.