PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: The Mike Wallace Gambit

Galax Steeler
03-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Both Art Rooney and Kevin Colbert have said publicly that Mike Wallace will be a priority.

"We're going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler," Colbert said.

Notice, he did not say for how long, because if they are able to keep him longer than 2012 by signing him to a multiple-year contract, Wallace will enter rare company -- a wide receiver the Steelers were able to keep during the nearly 20-year free agency era by signing them to big contracts.

Among wide receivers who left in free agency were Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Nate Washington, Bobby Shaw, Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings and more.

They also traded Santonio Holmes, Jeff Graham and Troy Edwards.

Here is the list of top wide receivers the Steelers were able to keep by signing them over the long term:

Hines Ward.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12071/1215923-66.stm#ixzz1ooDTrAWL

ShutDown24
03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
I know it's worth talking about, but I'm so sick of this story....

Galax Steeler
03-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I know it's worth talking about, but I'm so sick of this story....

Yea agree but this time of year sucks.

ShutDown24
03-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Yea agree but this time of year sucks.

I know. The time between the combine and draft really leaves something to be desired. I know, I know there are pro days... But the league should try and get some type of event in between the end of Feb and the end of April :chuckle:

Among wide receivers who left in free agency were Yancey Thigpen, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Nate Washington, Bobby Shaw, Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings and more.

They also traded Santonio Holmes, Jeff Graham and Troy Edwards.

I guess my thoughts on this would be, that other than maybe Holmes - I feel like Wallace is a bigger weapon than any one of these guys. Therefore it's a different situation. Especially because he is only three years into the league.