PDA

View Full Version : salary cap($120.6 million)

polamalubeast
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Jay Glazer‏@JayGlazer

Hearing that when the league sets the salary cap on Monday it'll be right around $120.6 million

https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/178669634877263874

XxKnightxX
03-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Where does that put us? over or under?

Chidi29
03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Where does that put us? over or under?

Not positive what our number is but we should be under. 120 million was the predictated number around the league and probably the assumption the FO was working off of.

7willBheaven
03-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I heard they were close to 110/111 mil BEFORE any RFA tendering (which would take up 8-10 mil i hear...depending on exact tenders).

This is a crappy cap number...I think this is still LOWER than it was before the CBA was voided or whatever which sucks. They could make it a little higher than last years even come on.

XxKnightxX
03-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Hamptons contract still needs restructuring.

Count Steeler
03-11-2012, 08:31 AM
If we only have 10mil of space and we haven't had the draft yet, nor signed our FAs and RFAs, I can't see how Hampton stays on the roster with an 8mil hit.

SteelerFanInStl
03-11-2012, 09:30 AM
That's a very low cap for a professional sport with so many roster spots needed. Considering that the Yankees payroll was over $200M last year, that number is very low.

Count Steeler
03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
The Yankees and the Red Sox are the aberration. MLB, with the Blue Jays in particular, have much lower salaries. In fact only 8 teams spent more than $100Mil. That is the result of no salary cap.

The 120M has to be 47% of revenue correct? Or whatever the agreed percentage split in the CBA.

Bluecoat96
03-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a question for you capologists out there. If Aaron Smith retires as everyone assumes he will, does that help with any "dead money" for salary cap purposes? Does this make any sense?

Also, I wonder if restructuring James Harrison's contract is still an option? I would think that could free up a few million, unless the Rooney's don't have the cash to pony up for a signing bonus right now.

Chidi29
03-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I have a question for you capologists out there. If Aaron Smith retires as everyone assumes he will, does that help with any "dead money" for salary cap purposes? Does this make any sense?

Also, I wonder if restructuring James Harrison's contract is still an option? I would think that could free up a few million, unless the Rooney's don't have the cash to pony up for a signing bonus right now.

I don't think so since we still released him. The signing bonus will still count against us.

Steeldude
03-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Hamptons contract still needs restructuring.

They can only do that by extending his contract. 2012 is the last year of his contract. Releasing him would be better. For the last few years Hampton hasn't really been much more than a fat body.

Finding a FA NT for under $8 million shouldn't be too difficult.

steeldawg
03-11-2012, 05:31 PM
They can only do that by extending his contract. 2012 is the last year of his contract. Releasing him would be better. For the last few years Hampton hasn't really been much more than a fat body.

I agree he hasnt really done a whole lot lately and if we can find another nt for cheap i say go for it.

Chidi29
03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Hampton has still played well. There's a reason why he's coming back. I'm just concerned about a 34 year old NT coming off a serious knee injury. He's taken enough beating just playing the zero technique his whole career. That alone really wears you down.

XxKnightxX
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Ive been one that said that he needs to be released. I dont think the Rooneys have any options left. Let him go, this is gonna be a very different year for the team.

Count Steeler
03-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Hampton has still played well. There's a reason why he's coming back. I'm just concerned about a 34 year old NT coming off a serious knee injury. He's taken enough beating just playing the zero technique his whole career. That alone really wears you down.

Wonder how much of the Raven's chop block routine was part of this injury. "Player Safety". Yeah right.

Chidi29
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Wonder how much of the Raven's chop block routine was part of this injury. "Player Safety". Yeah right.

My God, player safety doesn't mean "Nothing bad ever happens". Goodell isn't going to be able to stop everything. And even if he tried, you guys would just complain about how much he's "wussifying the game" and call him Hitler.

Count Steeler
03-11-2012, 07:56 PM
My God, player safety doesn't mean "Nothing bad ever happens". Goodell isn't going to be able to stop everything. And even if he tried, you guys would just complain about how much he's "wussifying the game" and call him Hitler.

I don't go to those extremes, but the chop block has to be addressed. WR and QB are not the only defenseless players on the field. When an offensive lineman has a defender locked up and another offensive lineman, as long he is not more than 1 position away, is allowed to cut the knees of the defender. If the other lineman is 2 positions away, it is a penalty. I just don't understand the logic.

The display by the Ravens in the first game of the season was unsportsmanlike. Yeah it was within the rules, but chop blocking is not right. And that is a player's safety issue.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't go to those extremes, but the chop block has to be addressed. WR and QB are not the only defenseless players on the field. When an offensive lineman has a defender locked up and another offensive lineman, as long he is not more than 1 position away, is allowed to cut the knees of the defender. If the other lineman is 2 positions away, it is a penalty. I just don't understand the logic.

The display by the Ravens in the first game of the season was unsportsmanlike. Yeah it was within the rules, but chop blocking is not right. And that is a player's safety issue.

Not addressing the highly dangerous chop block runs completely contrary to their "player safety first" mantra.