PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers sign any free agents? If so, who?

zulater
03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/report-vikings-to-cut-steve-hutchinson-anthony-herrera/

Report: Vikings to cut Steve Hutchinson, Anthony Herrera

With free agency starting in three days, the Vikings apparently are clearing some cap space in the hopes of making a move or two.

Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the team will release guard Steve Hutchinson and guard Anthony Herrera.

Cutting Hutchinson, who was entering the final season of a seven-year, $49 million contract, avoids his base salary of $6.95 million. Herrera’s release clears another $2.65 million unpaid salary.

That equates to $9.6 million in cap space.

They may need to spend some of that money on a guard or two. Hutchinson started on the left side, and Herrera started on the right side.

Just heard about this on NFL radio a couple hours ago. The Viking are going to release both their stating guards. They also said that there will be more unrestricted free agents on the market this year than any time before. In other words it will be a buyers market.

The Steelers have used free agency in the past to get James Farrior, Mewelde Moore, Cedric Wilson, Duce Staley and others. And keeping with the Vikings two release'es former Bill's All Pro Will Wolford was signed near the end of his career by the Steelers to have a couple good seasons.

So while I realize the Steelers are cap strapped, it does look as if it's going to be good buyers market, so maybe there's someone out there with some game left who will come to the Steelers at the right price, knowing they have a chance to get a Super Bowl.

So do you guys see anyone on the horizon that might really come, and would give the Steelers a lift in a position of need?

Chidi29
03-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Not really much that catches my eye. I'm more concerned about re-signing our own players (Gay, Essex as a swingman along the line. Cotchery, Leftwich).

Only two names I were interested in was Bobbie Williams, the former Bengals guard. Really big guy who can be a mauler in the run game, but he's in his mid 30s and coming off a serious injury. Would look for a cheap, hopefully one year deal and see if he can snag the LG spot for us. Or even stay at RG and shift Foster over though you know I'm not that keen on the idea of moving multiple guys to fix on spot.

Someone mentioned Franklin from New Orelans yesterday. Like the idea.

ShutDown24
03-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Mario Haggan [Denver]

Haggan was a starter in the Josh McDaniels era. Experienced playing in the 3-4 defense Haggan can play both Inside Linebacker and Outside Linebacker making him a value.

Quentin Groves [Oakland]

The Steelers strongly considered drafting Groves when he turned pro a few years ago. After a miserable stint in Jacksonville where he failed at both Defensive End and Linebacker, he has been less of a disappointment in Oakland.

Rocky McIntosh [D.C.]

McIntosh might be over-valued by his current team, but I can't see other franchises being overly excited by him. If he gets loose and we part ways with James Farrior he would be a solid backup in the middle.

I'd really like to see the Steelers sign DeAndre Levy to fill the need at linebacker then kill other needs in the draft. But I highly doubt they'll even look at him. I think he is too high profile.

Some of the free Agents I'd like to see the Steelers take a look at:

DeAndre Levy ILB
Jonathan Goff ILB
Mario Haggan LB

Donnie Avery WR
Ruvell Martin WR
Matthew Slater WR

Kellen Davis TE
Zach Potter TE

King Dunlap OT
Brandon Keith OT

Brit Miller (RFA)
Ahmard Hall
Earnest Graham

I figured that was easier than writing something :chuckle:

ShutDown24
03-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Not really much that catches my eye. I'm more concerned about re-signing our own players (Gay, Essex as a swingman along the line. Cotchery, Leftwich).

Only two names I were interested in was Bobbie Williams, the former Bengals guard. Really big guy who can be a mauler in the run game, but he's in his mid 30s and coming off a serious injury. Would look for a cheap, hopefully one year deal and see if he can snag the LG spot for us. Or even stay at RG and shift Foster over though you know I'm not that keen on the idea of moving multiple guys to fix on spot.

Someone mentioned Franklin from New Orelans yesterday. Like the idea.

Yeah, I think it was El-Gonzo who mentioned him. Aubrayo Franklin would be great here.

BlastFurnace
03-10-2012, 07:59 PM
They won't sign anyone beyond their own. They have no wiggle room in $$$$'s.

86WARD
03-10-2012, 08:30 PM
There's quite a few OG's out there to be had...I'd like to see one of them...question is can they afford it. We all know it won't be for a few weeks anyway after the dust begins to settle...if it does occur.

st33lersguy
03-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Pittsburgh doesn't usually go after free agents that are expected to start for the Steelers. Mostly they sign players from other teams to be role players

steelerdude15
03-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Me!

Devilsdancefloor
03-10-2012, 11:39 PM
go ahead call me crazy , but i like Michael bush, but not sure if he will come at a $$ or not

BigNastyDefense
03-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't see the Steelers doing anything other than resigning their own FA's. Now if we were to lose Wallace (I hope we DO NOT lose him), we would have the money that's set aside for him available to spend on a free agent or two that would fill a hole at ILB or alongside the offensive line which would allow the Steelers to then use those two first round picks on other positions of need.

zulater
03-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Pittsburgh doesn't usually go after free agents that are expected to start for the Steelers. Mostly they sign players from other teams to be role players

Ryan Clark and James Farrior were both free agents that the Steelers have gotten great use out of. With the glaring needs we have at ILB, and possibly guard, if the right guys is out there at the right price how can you not make a play for him?

ShutDown24
03-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Ryan Clark and James Farrior were both free agents that the Steelers haven't gotten great use out of. With the glaring needs we have at ILB, and possibly guard, if the right guys is out there at the right price how can you not make a play for him?

I agree. Even if you don't sign a player of Farrior or Clark's caliber, someone comparable to Keyarn Fox, for example, could have a great influence on the team and wouldn't have much impact on the cap.

SteelerFanInStl
03-11-2012, 09:34 AM
go ahead call me crazy , but i like Michael bush, but not sure if he will come at a $$ or not

Someone, like the Bengals, will overpay for Bush.

Steelersfan
03-11-2012, 07:28 PM
I say BULL !!! The Steelers never have any money against the cap and they sign free agents every year. Not often, high profile free agents, but they do sign free agents.

I can't see them going to camp this year with ONLY the players on the roster and/or any rookies that we draft, as far as the offensive line goes. The way I'm looking at things, they MUST/HAVE TO sign at least one free agent O-lineman. Who that player might be is the question???

In another thread I mentioned at 4:00 PM on Tuesday, if I was the Steelers I was cutting Suisham and signing FA kicker Connor Barth from Tampa. The kid is young, has never missed an extra point in 4 years, had a 92.9 field goal percentage and had longs the last 2 years of 53 and 55. However, Tampa franchised him and now they forced the poor kid to suffer another year with them.

So now, other than O-line, if I am the Steelers, I'd be looking hard at Larry Grant a back-up ILB with the 49ers. He was the guy that took Patrick Willis's spot when we played them last year. He had a hell of a game against us. The 49ers have a good bit of money tied up in Willis and their other ILB starter and they offered Larry Grant only a "Original Round Tender" which would be a 7th round pick. I think we will get at least one extra 7th, maybe two for the players we lost last season. So I would say, he is a way better option for our own 7th round pick than some bottom of the draft rookie out of college. I would definitely try to sign him to go along with a rookie draft pick like Hightower, Wagner or Cole and Foote, unless they are considering a higher profile ILB to take Farriors spot eliminating the position as a need this off-season.

zulater
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I say BULL !!! The Steelers never have any money against the cap and they sign free agents every year. Not often, high profile free agents, but they do sign free agents.

I can't see them going to camp this year with ONLY the players on the roster and/or any rookies that we draft, as far as the offensive line goes. The way I'm looking at things, they MUST/HAVE TO sign at least one free agent O-lineman. Who that player might be is the question???

In another thread I mentioned at 4:00 PM on Tuesday, if I was the Steelers I was cutting Suisham and signing FA kicker Connor Barth from Tampa. The kid is young, has never missed an extra point in 4 years, had a 92.9 field goal percentage and had longs the last 2 years of 53 and 55. However, Tampa franchised him and now they forced the poor kid to suffer another year with them.

So now, other than O-line, if I am the Steelers, I'd be looking hard at Larry Grant a back-up ILB with the 49ers. He was the guy that took Patrick Willis's spot when we played them last year. He had a hell of a game against us. The 49ers have a good bit of money tied up in Willis and their other ILB starter and they offered Larry Grant only a "Original Round Tender" which would be a 7th round pick. I think we will get at least one extra 7th, maybe two for the players we lost last season. So I would say, he is a way better option for our own 7th round pick than some bottom of the draft rookie out of college. I would definitely try to sign him to go along with a rookie draft pick like Hightower, Wagner or Cole and Foote, unless they are considering a higher profile ILB to take Farriors spot eliminating the position as a need this off-season.

Good post. Welcome to the board.

GBMelBlount
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM

I like bush too...a lot...

fansince'76
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Damn cheap Rooneys.

:chuckle:

7willBheaven
03-12-2012, 01:19 AM

I too was hoping for Barth...but unfortunately he was Franchise tagged (plus like 3-4 other kickers and a punter) so he is out of the question (who would give up 2 first rounders for a kicker, haha). I definitely would like to look at Grant for a 7th round pick...and he's only like 26-27 yrs old I think. I prefer to fill some of the holes (mainly ILB) via free agency instead of the draft.

suitanim
03-12-2012, 05:48 AM
I think they have to address either NT, OG, or ILB in the draft AND in FA. At least one of these positions will need to be filled via free agency. I'm leaning towards ILB because A) Our defense is super complex and a guy already playing at this level will probably have the advantage picking it up and B) We can stop-gap the position and draft ILB's later in the draft and groom them. We need long-term help at NT and OG, especially guard, and we have Hampton (at least it looks like it) for one more year. This way we draft Guard early, and can sit and teach ILB and NT from later rounds.

Iron Steeler
03-12-2012, 06:13 AM
I figured that was easier than writing something :chuckle:

Good post good ideas

SteelMember
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
A guy I like as a kinda sleeper pickup is TE - John Carlson.

He was injured last season, but is a more traditional-type TE and was very highly rated in his draft.

There is obviously some risk because of the injury, but because both the draft and our roster are pretty thin at TE, he could be a steal at a relatively low number.

:noidea:

The Duke
03-12-2012, 10:23 AM
A guy I like as a kinda sleeper pickup is TE - John Carlson.

He was injured last season, but is a more traditional-type TE and was very highly rated in his draft.

There is obviously some risk because of the injury, but because both the draft and our roster are pretty thin at TE, he could be a steal at a relatively low number.

:noidea:

oh that would be a nice add :thumbsup:

the guy has always been an above average blocker and a pretty good pass catcher

seahawks are loaded at TE so he's more than likely leaving

The Duke
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Anybody watch Texans games? Eric Winston, RT, was released

I was always under the impression he was their 2nd best lineman, so probably a cap related release

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM

I was always under the impression he was their 2nd best lineman, so probably a cap related release

Biggest two reservations will be price and the fact he's more of a ZBS lineman. We're a lot more power, phone booth scheme.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Another guy that might be on the cheap is Anthony Collins OT. He could be a younger and less expensive replacement for Jon Scott. He was a guy I wanted back in the 08 draft and could be a backup RT, LT and maybe compete for the RT position in camp.

XxKnightxX
03-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Hell of a Lineman, a Mauler, Ive been watching him since the days in the U. He can go into RT or LT and Marcus Gilbert can compliment him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Hell of a Lineman, a Mauler, Ive been watching him since the days in the U. He can go into RT or LT and Marcus Gilbert can compliment him.

I doubt that we even get a visit. He will be gone to play RT somewhere like KC. I doubt he can play LT though.

Texasteel
03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I thought I heard on NFL Network that Hutchinson was in Pittsburgh for a visit. Anyone hear anything about this?

Chidi29
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I thought I heard on NFL Network that Hutchinson was in Pittsburgh for a visit. Anyone hear anything about this?

Haven't heard anything. Know there was a report Kellen Davis is going to visit. Like his athletic ability ever since he came out of Michigan St, but doesn't really profile as a #2 blocking TE that I'd think we'd be looking for.

Shoes
03-13-2012, 08:31 PM
What do you guys think about Kellen Davis? I see he's going to visit the Steelers.

Edman
03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
The Steelers never go after big names. They'll go after a bucket-bin player who fits in and go with that.

ShutDown24
03-13-2012, 10:37 PM
What do you guys think about Kellen Davis? I see he's going to visit the Steelers.

Davis is one of the guys who I was really hoping the team would pursue. He's not the best blocking tight end on the market but brings a lot of value in the passing game. You might remember he had a nice game against us a few seasons ago.

Steelersfan
03-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't have any clue how reputable this Cleveland want-a-be is, but he tweeted :

Source: Free agent running back Peyton Hillis will meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 4 p.m. today.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ctownsportstalk

ShutDown24
03-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't have any clue how reputable this Cleveland want-a-be is, but he tweeted :

Source: Free agent running back Peyton Hillis will meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers at 4 p.m. today.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ctownsportstalk (http://twitter.com/#%21/Ctownsportstalk)

Can't comment on the integrity of this report. But I don't like Hillis as a fit for the Steelers.

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Can't comment on the integrity of this report. But I don't like Hillis as a fit for the Steelers.

I don't either and I don't see the Steelers signing him.

Buckinnuts
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM

http://twitter.com/#!/Ctownsportstalk
thought I read that he signed with KC

zulater
03-14-2012, 06:27 PM
thought I read that he signed with KC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/14/chiefs-announce-the-addition-of-peyton-hillis/

You are correct sir!

Chidi29
03-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Bears re-sign Kellen Daivs.
http://twitter.com/#!/BradBiggs/statuses/180072209673494529

suitanim
03-15-2012, 05:21 AM
The "Hillis to Pittsburgh" thing, IMO, was simply that the Browns felt like they had a player who was good enough to play for the Steelers, since they usually only have 3-4 guys that could even start for us.

They were wrong again.

zulater
03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Everyone made a huge deal out of the Steelers cutting some aged veterans early. Outside of Farrior, all the Steelers cuts played a limited number of snaps last season.

As things shape up there's a lot of teams losing core starters due to salary cap considerations and I don't see anyone making a huge deal of it like they did when we parted ways with Ward, Smith, and Kemo. Truth be told the Ravens are going to be hurt a lot more by veteran player loss than the Steelers. But funny enough that will escape the attention of ESPN's AFC North blogger (aka Baltimore stooge) Jamison Hensley.

Now of course everyone's applauding these early idiotic signings of various players around the league. Some of these team are acting like drunk sailors on shore leave paying top rate for the first toothless hooker they stumble upon. A very stupid way to conduct business given the amount of quality players available.

I heard on NFL radio that nearly 40% of players on NFL rosters last year are currently free agents of some sort. Good things will come to those that wait.

I'm glad the Steelers are being patient. When the smoke clears they'll find a couple guys for a good price that will come right in and contribute.

polamalubeast
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Everyone made a huge deal out of the Steelers cutting some aged veterans early. Outside of Farrior, all the Steelers cuts played a limited number of snaps last season.

As things shape up there's a lot of teams losing core starters due to salary cap considerations and I don't see anyone making a huge deal of it like they did when we parted ways with Ward, Smith, and Kemo. Truth be told the Ravens are going to be hurt a lot more by veteran player loss than the Steelers. But funny enough that will escape the attention of ESPN's AFC North blogger (aka Baltimore stooge) Jamison Hensley.

Now of course everyone's applauding these early idiotic signings of various players around the league. Some of these team are acting like drunk sailors on shore leave paying top rate for the first toothless hooker they stumble upon. A very stupid way to conduct business given the amount of quality players available.

I heard on NFL radio that nearly 40% of players on NFL rosters last year are currently free agents of some sort. Good things will come to those that wait.

I'm glad the Steelers are being patient. When the smoke clears they'll find a couple guys for a good price that will come right in and contribute.

I remember last year, the eagles were the winners in the period of free agent and the Giants were among the losers according to several experts.:lol:

SteelGhost
03-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Glad Hillis went to KC, I know he's somewhat capable RB, but I didn't want him in our team.

BigNastyDefense
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I remember last year, the eagles were the winners in the period of free agent and the Giants were among the losers according to several experts.:lol:

Dream team!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

KeiselPower99
03-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Owen Schmitt Keyaron Fox Jeremy Shockey Tyler Palko Bryant Johnson. There's my wish list

86WARD
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Jeremy Shockey?!? No thanks.

Psycho Ward 86
03-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Now that Orton is taken and Billy Volek wide open, id really like Volek as our backup QB

zulater
03-26-2012, 05:23 AM
General manager Colbert, Steelers not in free agency rush

Kevin Colbert didn't state the obvious Sunday shortly after arriving at the posh Breakers Resort, the Steelers general manager sure came close.

"As you can see, we haven't done much in free agency," Colbert said on the eve of the NFL owners meetings. "Nor do we plan on it at this point."

The Steelers' approach has been they'll get to free agency when they get to it. That de facto club policy has been taken to another level this offseason, given the team's salary cap situation.

But on the same day the team lost starting cornerback William Gay to Arizona — he agreed to a two-year deal with the Cardinals — Colbert said the Steelers are hoping to bring back a number of their own free agents, including receiver Jerricho Cotchery.

The Steelers appear to have the kind of depth to weather the loss of Gay, who emerged as a pleasant surprise in 2011. The one caveat, as Colbert said, is that Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown have yet to prove they can start.

Less clear is the situation at receiver.

The Steelers had a logjam there last season. Now they are only assured of returning two of their top five receivers following the release/retirement of Hines Ward and the uncertain statuses of Cotchery and Mike Wallace.

Cotchery is an unrestricted free agent who already has visited the Kansas City Chiefs. Wallace is a restricted free agent that teams have until April 20 to sign.

Colbert expressed optimism that both will be with the Steelers — at least for the upcoming season.

The Steelers can match any offer Wallace receives or get that team's first-round draft pick in return.

"Ultimately it's our decision," Colbert said. "One thing we do know is we'll make the decision and nobody else."

The Steelers don't have that same leverage with Cotchery, but they have stayed in contact with him and his agent, Jack Scharf.

"It's not like he's looking to leave," Colbert said. "I think he'll leave if it's best for him and his family, but I think deep down he wants to stay."

Read more: General manager Colbert, Steelers not in free agency rush - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_788342.html#ixzz1qDVuyNti

tube517
03-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Jeremy Shockey?!? No thanks.

No snitches on the Steelers! :rofl2: