PDA

View Full Version : Bettis on "Who do you think you are" Mar 9, 2012

Count Steeler
03-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Show on ABC? Looks at geneology of celebrities. Tonight on the show is Jerome Bettis.

Who Do You Think You Are? 8pm. Sorry for the short notice.

Polamalu Princess
03-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Shoot - I wanted to see that show tonight. Has he been on yet? I will put it on now.

Polamalu Princess
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Missed the first of it, but watching it now - thank you for letting us know.

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 07:32 PM
I saw the first few minutes of it but I've been up for 22 hours so I made myself come back to bed haha. I enjoyed seeing Jerome for a few minutes though. I've seen a few episodes of this show and while it's kind of like a long running infommercial for Ancestry.com it's pretty interesting.

Polamalu Princess
03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
That was very neat to watch.

Count Steeler
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes it is an infomercial for ancestry.com, but it is amazing how far back some people can trace their roots.

Pretty sad about Jerome's great great great great grandfather being born into slavery and then separated from his parents when he was only 10 years old. Sad to see what humans are capable of. Similar circumstances with Blair Underwood last week.

stillers4me
03-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes it is an infomercial for ancestry.com, but it is amazing how far back some people can trace their roots.

Pretty sad about Jerome's great great great great grandfather being born into slavery and then separated from his parents when he was only 10 years old. Sad to see what humans are capable of. Similar circumstances with Blair Underwood last week.

That was an amazing story.

86WARD
03-09-2012, 09:16 PM
I saw it. Pretty decent. Jerome didn't look happy when the paper had the word "darkey" in it...

stillers4me
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I saw it. Pretty decent. Jerome didn't look happy when the paper had the word "darkey" in it...

I don't blame him. I knew they talked like that, but was a bit taken back that they actually wrote things like that in the paper.

tihmtahm
03-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Sometimes as an American I'm shocked and embarrassed about our history. Of course I'm partial to Bettis as a Steelers fan, but I'm pretty sure that his story isn't totally unique. It's amazing the courage those men had.

86WARD
03-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I don't blame him. I knew they talked like that, but was a bit taken back that they actually wrote things like that in the paper.

It was pretty amazing that that sort of thing was written in the paper on a daily basis.

Even watching "recent" shows like All in the Family and The Jeffersons, you'd be pretty amazed that those shows were on TV. If you aired those shows on network TV today, there would be chaos!

Count Steeler
03-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Still a long way to go to heal the rift within the community that had their history virtually wiped out because of their skin color. Bettis will never know his real ancestry because the slaves took on the surname of their owners. Pretty sad.