PDA

View Full Version : Should the Pittsburgh Steelers Release Rashard Mendenhall?

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to make tough decisions about the players on their team. The latest casuality is James Farrior. Farrior spent 10 seasons on the Steelers and accumulated 100+ tackles six of those seasons. Farrior was a tough decision to make—as was Hines Ward before him—but there are more decisions to make. Like for example, shouldn't the Steelers also part ways with Rashard Mendendall?

LINK: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11063936

Godfather
03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Makes sense. Running backs are easy to replace.

Count Steeler
03-07-2012, 06:13 PM
No. If the Steelers are in that bad shape, good bye Wallace, good bye future, good bye Ben.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

zulater
03-07-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure they could release him if they wanted to? With him being inured they'd have to reach an injury settlement with him before they could release him. And given that, I'm not sure what if any cap room an injury settlement would save them?

polamalubeast
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
why not

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 06:20 PM
No. Running backs are easy to replace, but Mendenhall is a good back. And from what I know of his contract releasing him would still result in cap penalties. To me, it's better just to keep him and let his contract expire. He'll get a pretty good deal on the open market. League consensus is higher on Mendenhall than Steelers fans are - and for good reason. He is extremely undervalued here.

Let him play out his contract and receive the benefits of the compensatory pick that will come due to his departure. There is more value in that than just cutting him to save a quick buck.

polamalubeast
03-07-2012, 06:24 PM
No. Running backs are easy to replace, but Mendenhall is a good back. And from what I know of his contract releasing him would still result in cap penalties. To me, it's better just to keep him and let his contract expire. He'll get a pretty good deal on the open market. League consensus is higher on Mendenhall than Steelers fans are - and for good reason. He is is extremely undervalued here.

Let him play out his contract and receive the benefits of the compensatory pick that will come due to his departure. There is more value in that than just cutting him to save a quick buck.

great point

oneforthetoe
03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't think releasing him really save that much in the short term. I think he is due to make like 3.5 million this year. I am not sure if we would have to assume any of that as dead cap money, but either way, I think we should keep him for this year. If we release him we have to pick up a proven rb anyways. I like Redman ,.... and Dwyer showed some promise, but combined they have like 900 career yards total. It would probably take 2 million a year (at least) to get a quality rb to take Mendy's place. Also, as mentioned above, the Steelers would have to reach an injury settlement in any case.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
why not

Why not? More like why yes.

1) I really really doubt it, but most people think were on the verge of losing Mike Wallace, so you know were reverting back to more running if we lose the guy who's taking the top off of defenses better than anyone or as well as anyone in the league

2) Rooney stated he wants to revert back to more running and take the ball out of Ben's hands some more

3) If Mendenhall's gone, Isaac Redman is the ONLY proven back on the roster. No, Memo doesnt count anymore, he's washed up, and not a true every down back. Running game by committee? Probably not a good option, especially if Redman goes down. Speaking of which, im not sure why anyone would be gushing about our RB stable if Redman goes down and were left with Johnathan Dwyer, Baron Batch, and John Clay. lol. Let's not wet our pants just yet about Dwyer just because he had one 100 yard game where most of his yardage came off a play with the best blocking on any single running play that the O-line gave all season. Same with Baron Batch, we all love his potential, high character guy, but just because he blocked James Harrison well on one play in practice doesnt earn him the credibility to be a reliable back. Not a highly touted draft, and hasnt played a down in the NFL, preseason, regular season, or post season. John Clay: helluva 1st carry in the NFL! But he was playing against the last ranked run defense in the NFL.

4) Mendenhall has had steady production behind a bad O-line. We complain about his dancing, but who can blame him. When he reaches the line of scrimmage unscathed he generally runs north and south anyways

5) ACL injuries meaning the death of a career for RB's is overrated. Particularly for young ones: http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story/09000d5d826d092c/article/acl-surgery-research-shows-decline-in-running-back-stats ...Mendenhall is only 24 years old. He's probably only going to get better.

i dont see why you dont keep the dude. I dont love him, most people probably dont, but it doesnt take an eagle eye to realize he's an asset for this team

GBMelBlount
03-07-2012, 07:24 PM
No. Running backs are easy to replace, but Mendenhall is a good back. And from what I know of his contract releasing him would still result in cap penalties. To me, it's better just to keep him and let his contract expire. He'll get a pretty good deal on the open market. League consensus is higher on Mendenhall than Steelers fans are - and for good reason.

He is extremely undervalued here.

Undervalued?

Would you consider him an above average back? Top 15? Top 10?...

I think he is good but not great and certainly expendable IFF it made financial sense.

86WARD
03-07-2012, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him go. I'd rather keep any one of our three receivers before keeping Mendenhall.

They shouldn't release him without a plan in place. If he had to go to sign Brown and Wallace, I'd say see ya later Rashard.

steelerdude15
03-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Should people read dumb articles like this?

SMR
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM

No.
Heck no.

SteelGhost
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Only in the off-season ... not really :D

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Undervalued?

I think he is good but not great and certainly expendable IFF it made financial sense.

it doesnt make any financial sense

tube517
03-07-2012, 09:00 PM

You thank Yahoo for that.

Psycho Ward 86
03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
You thank Yahoo for that.

im shocked chris chase didnt write that

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Undervalued?

He's absolutely top 15. Probably top 10.

I've seen a ton of people on this board suggest Redman start over Mendenhall. I like Redman, but that's ridiculous. Mendenhall is extremely undervalued by Steelers fans.

He's definitely expendable taking his injury, contract situation and position into account - but that doesn't mean he isn't an excellent runningback.

GBMelBlount
03-07-2012, 10:51 PM

I've seen a ton of people on this board suggest Redman start over Mendenhall. I like Redman, but that's ridiculous. Mendenhall is extremely undervalued by Steelers fans.

He's definitely expendable taking his injury, contract situation and position into account - but that doesn't mean he isn't an excellent runningback.

I also wonder if he is a different kind of runner and if Redman style is a better fit with our current line.

He is certainly not as fast or quick as Mendy but I would imagine his YAC may be better.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 11:14 PM

I think that fumble by Mendy that cost us that last SB is kind of in the sub-conscience of Steeler fans. As a Steeler's player, you can mess up in the reg. season and get away with it; but you can't mess up in the SB.

I also wonder if he is a different kind of runner and if Redman style is a better fit with our current line.

He is certainly not as fast or quick as Mendy but I would imagine his YAC may be better.

The Bus was king. So was Franco H. Neither was a speedster.

Chidi29
03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure they could release him if they wanted to? With him being inured they'd have to reach an injury settlement with him before they could release him. And given that, I'm not sure what if any cap room an injury settlement would save them?

I don't remember the entire article, but I read that releasing Mendenhall nor Hampton would hurt us. That the injury benefit clause isn't going to count against the cap until 2016.

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Redman's YAC will probably be noticeably better, but I don't think his YPC will be. And that, at the end of the day, is what really matters. Sometimes I think Steelers fans would rather see Redman run over defenders on his way to 3.3 YPC than see Mendenhall run around them for 4.2. I think the team would be fine with Redman, who knows - maybe he really turns out to be something special. But I just can't see why so many people are in such a hurry to get Mendenhall out the door. It was the same with Willie Parker. People around here hated Willie Parker; when at the peak of his production with us, I thought he was one of the true elite backs in the league.

This sort of opens a broader point that I've come to really despise about our fanbase: I think we as Steelers fans get a little too caught up in how the winning is accomplished sometimes instead of just enjoying the fact that the team does win. There is something to be said for intimidating opponents with a power running game, but if you can run around them for better results, why not?

Ramming your head into a wall trying to break through it just to prove a point doesn't make much sense when there are clear paths in sight to walk around.

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't remember the entire article, but I read that releasing Mendenhall nor Hampton would hurt us. That the injury benefit clause isn't going to count against the cap until 2016.

That's interesting. If true, maybe there is a little more validity to the option of cutting him than I originally thought. I looked at the possibility once before some time ago but came away under the impression that the cap penalties would be too great to consider releasing him.

Chidi29
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
That's interesting. If true, maybe there is a little more validity to the option of cutting him than I originally thought. I looked at the possibility once before some time ago but came away under the impression that the cap penalties would be too great to consider releasing him.

Obviously though, we're still paying dead money the same we would for releasing any player. Signing bonus, for example.

oneforthetoe
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM

It may not hurt the cap, but the Rooney's would still have to pay part of their salary as a settlement. It could be that they don't want to do that, particularly since they would have to pay their replacements, for two players that could still be productive for 2012.

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Obviously though, we're still paying dead money the same we would for releasing any player. Signing bonus, for example.

Okay, I was under the impression you were implying that went out the window too. I was pretty intrigued and surprised if that were the case.

Do you have any idea what size of a hit the team would take for dropping Mendenhall? With the type of rookie contract he received I would imagine the sum would be pretty substantial. If that assumption is correct I stand by my original statement in this thread.

Steeldude
03-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Releasing Hampton will save the Steelers $5.89 million against the cap. Keeping him is a cap hit of roughly $8.05 million

Releasing Mendenhall will save $2.325 million against the cap. Keeping Mendenhall is a cap hit of roughly $3.43 million

So open up $8.25 million in cap room by releasing them or suffer a $11.48 cap hit by retaining them?

I say release them. The Steelers need cap room. I doubt Mendenhall will play. If he does play how effective will he be coming of an ACL injury. Hampton is old and too heavy. With a good knee he was slower than average the past 3 to 4 years. Does anyone really think he is going to come off that ACL in the same shape he was last season? I envision an even slower and more awkward version of Hampton if he does play this coming season.

Count Steeler
03-08-2012, 05:04 AM
If that is the case, that our cap is still in such trouble, I agree with Steeldude.

Colbert and Rooney may have bought us 2 years of mediocrity by not restraining themselves in the open cap year. Ben's window may be closing quicker than we hoped. I hope this is just the shady side of the mountain and we are nearing the apex.

ShutDown24
03-08-2012, 05:11 AM
If it's the difference between keeping Wallace or not, I'd release them. Otherwise I would hang onto both players. Hampton could prove to be invaluable depending on how the draft goes. And I believe Mendenhall, even if only for half of a season or the playoffs, is worth 2.3 mil. It's nice to have cap space going into the season in case of emergency, but the off-season is designed for teams to add that depth now. Getting the roster shored up without having to drop Mendenhall or Hampton would be beneficial. There's no reason not to try. Cutting two very good players to create cap space that isn't needed for a specific purpose isn't a smart decision to me.

suitanim
03-08-2012, 05:19 AM
No.

Unfortunately, fans from other teams see his value more than Steelers fans do. He's a very good running back.

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Okay, I was under the impression you were implying that went out the window too. I was pretty intrigued and surprised if that were the case.

Do you have any idea what size of a hit the team would take for dropping Mendenhall? With the type of rookie contract he received I would imagine the sum would be pretty substantial. If that assumption is correct I stand by my original statement in this thread.

No, signing bonuses will never go out the window as far as I'm aware.

Here's the article that talks about it. Maybe you guys can make more sense of it than I can.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/salary-cap-savings-injury-benefit-clarification-should-hampton-mendenhall-be-released/

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I wouldn't release him. We're not talking about a guy that is 33 that is near the end of his career. You release him now, you're losing him for all future seasons, too (obviously). Who knows when and if he'll fully recover, though I'm guessing he will, and I'm not letting him go to save a little bit of money, a million or so.

He'll be a free agent after this year which means we can sign him on the cheap coming off the injury. Low risk/high reward situation.

We can't become so blinded by the present that we completely disregard the future.

suitanim
03-08-2012, 11:36 AM
The way the article presents it, it actually makes some sense to release them, but solely based on the premise that neither is going to play much in 2012.

I was not under that impression...I thought both were recovering and were expected to contribute, and significantly in Hampton's case. It really needs clarifying...

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
The way the article presents it, it actually makes some sense to release them, but solely based on the premise that neither is going to play much in 2012.

I was not under that impression...I thought both were recovering and were expected to contribute, and significantly in Hampton's case. It really needs clarifying...

The article wasn't really commenting on the chances of them playing but what would happen if they didn't.

Still, keep him for the year, sign him a to 3 year deal on the cheap after this season and hopefully get back someone who to me, is a quality back.

Steeldude
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't release him. We're not talking about a guy that is 33 that is near the end of his career. You release him now, you're losing him for all future seasons, too (obviously). Who knows when and if he'll fully recover, though I'm guessing he will, and I'm not letting him go to save a little bit of money, a million or so.

He'll be a free agent after this year which means we can sign him on the cheap coming off the injury. Low risk/high reward situation.

We can't become so blinded by the present that we completely disregard the future.

I'm looking at the past and present when giving my opinion on cutting Mendenhall. He hasn't really done that much, in my opinion, to suggest he is an elite RB or worth the $3.43 million cap hit this cap-burdened year? I doubt he plays in 2012. If he does he won't be the same coming off the ACL injury. Besides, RBs are one of the easier position to replace. Look at Mendenhall's career. He is an average RB in terms of production. I believe you can get that same production from Redman and company. I am a believer in the O-line makes the running game happen, not the RB. There are of course a few exceptions to that rule(Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell etc...).

As for Hampton, he has been declining for the past 3 to 4 years. He is old and carries a lot of weight. All that weight and the stress from absorbing linemen on that knee spells futile to me. The only drawback to releasing Hampton would be depth, but I feel a veteran, free agent NT will be the same as Hampton was these past few seasons.

I feel releasing both Mendenhall and Hampton to be more beneficial than keeping them with already very tight cap situation. You open up $8.25 million if you release them as opposed to retaining them which is causes an 11.48 million cap hit.

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm looking at the past and present when giving my opinion on cutting Mendenhall. He hasn't really done that much, in my opinion, to suggest he is an elite RB or worth the $3.43 million cap hit this cap-burdened year? I doubt he plays in 2012. If he does he won't be the same coming off the ACL injury. Besides, RBs are one of the easier position to replace. Look at Mendenhall's career. He is an average RB in terms of production. I believe you can get that same production from Redman and company. I am a believer in the O-line makes the running game happen, not the RB. There are of course a few exceptions to that rule(Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell etc...).

As for Hampton, he has been declining for the past 3 to 4 years. He is old and carries a lot of weight. All that weight and the stress from absorbing linemen on that knee spells futile to me. The only drawback to releasing Hampton would be depth, but I feel a veteran, free agent NT will be the same as Hampton was these past few seasons.

I feel releasing both Mendenhall and Hampton to be more beneficial than keeping them with already very tight cap situation. You open up $8.25 million if you release them as opposed to retaining them which is causes an 11.48 million cap hit.

The 3.5 cap hit really isn't that bad. This is still his rookie deal, it's cheaper than most guys of his caliber who hit the market.

I don't know if he'll play in 2012 though give him a better chance than you do. And while he might not be the same for a year or two, odds are he'll return to form. It's not an Achilles he tore, a torn ACL (especially when it's just that like Mendenhall) isn't a death sentence.

If we release him now, we'll never have him again. I know if I keep him this year and bite a small bullet, I can have him for the next three years on the cheap and have a starting caliber running back.

Hampton is a different story. I'm surprised that we're going to keep him, especially at that amount.

SteelerEmpire
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
If Redman has a good year while Mendy is gone, Mendy could be in trouble.

Steeldude
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I can have him for the next three years on the cheap

But we don't know if he will be cheap. IMO, I doubt he signs a cheaper deal than his first one. I have yet to be impressed with this 1st round selection.

suitanim
03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure where this idea that RB's are a dime a dozen comes from, either. There are a lot of teams that have struggled to find a quality RB in the lats few years. The Browns have Hillis, but he's crazy and injured a lot. Seattle had to scrape up Lynch of the scrap pile. The Cards had problems until Wells got healthy. I don't know what's going on with the Redskins. Indy has had issues...and that's just to name a few teams.

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 03:27 PM
But we don't know if he will be cheap. IMO, I doubt he signs a cheaper deal than his first one. I have yet to be impressed with this 1st round selection.

Either he plays half or all of next season and makes fans the front office better about wanting to give him a long term deal or...

He doesn't play or doesn't look good coming off the torn ACL, plummeting his market value. Thus, making him cheap.

It's a win-win.

Steeldude
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Either he plays half or all of next season and makes fans the front office better about wanting to give him a long term deal or...

He doesn't play or doesn't look good coming off the torn ACL, plummeting his market value. Thus, making him cheap.

It's a win-win.

But in Mendenhall's mind he may not think he is cheap. You know how today's athletes are with money? Also, what about those teams willing to overpay? I would be fine if the Steelers' cap wasn't so tight. If I had to choose to keep one it would be Mendenhall over Hampton.

The cap in 2013 isn't going to be much better.

Chidi29
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
But in Mendenhall's mind he may not think he is cheap. You know how today's athletes are with money? Also, what about those teams willing to overpay? I would be fine if the Steelers' cap wasn't so tight. If I had to choose to keep one it would be Mendenhall over Hampton.

The cap in 2013 isn't going to be much better.

Doesn't matter if he thinks he's cheap. He's damaged goods and if he doesn't do much to prove different, his market value will be in the tank.

GBMelBlount
03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
steeldude

Releasing Hampton will save the Steelers $5.89 million against the cap. Keeping him is a cap hit of roughly $8.05 million

Releasing Mendenhall will save $2.325 million against the cap. Keeping Mendenhall is a cap hit of roughly $3.43 million

So open up $8.25 million in cap room by releasing them or suffer a $11.48 cap hit by retaining them?

Shutdown24

If it's the difference between keeping Wallace or not, I'd release them. Otherwise I would hang onto both players.

Great way to put it in perspective.

suitanim
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM
As we get closer and closer to free agency, I have to guess that the odds of us cutting either of these guys drops, not increases.

TomlinSteelTribe
03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree with Chidi on this: you can't make drastic moves to benefit the present when they are detrimental to the future. From what I've read, it sounds as though the FO thinks Hampton will be able to play in '12--the injury isn't as severe in relation to his function on the team (occupying 2 O-linemen). Quick cuts to the ball have never been a part of his job description. Is the end nearing for him? Yes, but they still don't have a replacement ready so their hands are kinda tied on this one.

I have mixed feelings about Mendy: he has shown some talent (remember his game-winning run vs the Falcons two seasons ago?) but hasn't seemed to get his ball security issues under wraps (sorry for the bad pun). When I see the ball drop down to his waist while he's running, my heart starts palpitating. After the SB loss, how could he not adjust the way he carries the ball?! Boggles my mind. BUT, as Chidi pointed out, cutting him really doesn't save much cap room. If he signs elsewhere next off-season, then we get a compensatory pick. If he doesn't play much during the '12 season, then his contract demands should be reasonable (at least in comparison to what he could have garnered after a full season of health). I hope we re-sign Wallace as much as any other Steelers fan--his kind of speed just doesn't come along every day (and with good hands on top of that). But we can't mortgage the farm to do it.

suitanim
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Rashard Mendenhall has a ridiculously LOW fumble-to-carry ratio. Franco Harris? 1 in 33 carries. Bettis? 1 in 85 carries. Mendy? 1 in 117 carries.

Mendy just had the horrific bad luck of fumbling in the biggest game of the year.

Ball security is an overwhelming ADVANTAGE for the camp that wants to keep Mendenhall.

Count Steeler
03-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Rashard Mendenhall has a ridiculously LOW fumble-to-carry ratio. Franco Harris? 1 in 33 carries. Bettis? 1 in 85 carries. Mendy? 1 in 117 carries.

Mendy just had the horrific bad luck of fumbling in the biggest game of the year.

Ball security is an overwhelming ADVANTAGE for the camp that wants to keep Mendenhall.

Let's not forget Bettis' near fatal fumble in Indy. Imagine if Ben had a high ankle sprain in that game.

steelerdude15
03-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Lets not forget David Johnson completely missed on his block of Matthews, that's if were talking about the Super Bowl.

Moose
03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
RB's are easy to pick up. He's too injury prone, plus used up, so get rid of him. But I don't think they can or will so as stated early on, this thread is useless, LOL.

Craic
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I say cut him and re-sign Willie Parker.

:chuckle: :boink:

SteelGhost
03-09-2012, 06:31 PM
RB's are easy to pick up. He's too injury prone, plus used up, so get rid of him. But I don't think they can or will so as stated early on, this thread is useless, LOL.

But it's the offseason you know :chuckle:

tube517
03-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I say cut him and re-sign Willie Parker.

:chuckle: :boink:

:lol:

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

GoSlash27
03-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Cost/ benefit, it seems pretty obvious to me: Keep Mendy.

suitanim
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM

I disagree. There are NFL teams who have looked for a RB for years and still haven't found a solid fit.

86WARD
03-12-2012, 03:02 PM
If the Steelers want to keep Wallace, Hampton or Mendenhall may go pending the deal wallace is offered. Right now if a team is willing to part with their first round pick, Wallace is theirs and there's really nothing Pittsburgh can do at this point.

suitanim
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
If Mike Tolbert is seriously interested in becoming a Steeler, that changes things.

86WARD
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I'd release Mendenhall and take Tolbert...

Chidi29
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
If Mike Tolbert is seriously interested in becoming a Steeler, that changes things.

Not really to me. Tolbert is a nice niche back who has some power and good on 3rd downs, but certainly isn't talented enough to make Mendenhall expendable. He would make Dwyer or Clay expendable, the loser being the one that reports out of shape.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd release Mendenhall and take Tolbert...

You really think Tolbert could be the feature running back?

Steeldude
03-13-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm thinking back, but I can't see what makes Mendenhall so special to people. Has he really done anything that spectacular? Personally, where we drafted him I think he has performed below expectations. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 5 being average, I gave him a generous 6 so far in his career.

suitanim
03-13-2012, 05:40 AM
You really think Tolbert could be the feature running back?

He wouldn't have to be. Redman, Tolbert, Batch, Dwyer, Clay, Moore. He'd be sharing carries. What I DO think is that Redman may not be able to carry the whole load himself, and this is insurance of the best kind.