PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Would Like To Be A Raven?

86WARD
03-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Hines Ward definitely will be remembered as a Steeler, but could he be the key to getting the Ravens back over the hump?
He reportedly would like to give it a run. Steelers insider Ed Bouchette had this to add to the news of his impending release: “I think he’d love to play in Baltimore. I don’t think he’s thinking of legacies right now. These guys want to play… once they quit, they’re done.”

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/03/04/source-hines-ward-would-like-to-be-a-raven/

BlastFurnace
03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
When Greg Lloyd was released in 1998, he was asked by a reporter..."where do you want to play". Lloyd responded "anywhere in the AFC Central".

Lloyd was pissed that he was let go. No doubt that Hines is too. He may not say he is, but he is.

Pristas
03-07-2012, 07:38 AM
This is the equivelant of Anakin going to the dark side. Imagine Ike and Troy getting blown up by Ward. Clark would put him into retirement for sure though...

suitanim
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Well, that's it then. This was not as amicable of a beak-up as earlier being touted.

Not surprising, really...

tube517
03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Good luck w/Bert Flaccid as your QB. You'll end up choking the game away or the kick goes wide left.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Ravens are not going to take ward, where would they put him?

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Ravens are not going to take ward, where would they put him?

He'd go there as a #4 or #5, depending.

If he's going to stay in-division, Cleveland would be a better fit. They have about one real WR on the whole roster. Baltimore has Boldin and Torrey Smith, plus Lee Evans, and Ward ain't going to beat out any of them. MAYBE he could push Tandon Doss for the #4.

In Cleveland he'd be a #2 behind Greg Little.

tube517
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

If he's going to stay in-division, Cleveland would be a better fit. They have about one real WR on the whole roster. Baltimore has Boldin and Torrey Smith, plus Lee Evans, and Ward ain't going to beat out any of them. MAYBE he could push Tandon Doss for the #4.

Lee Evans was released.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
It will be tough for ward because he just has no speed left no matter where he goes if hes signed it will be for leadership purposes.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Lee Evans was released.

Then he could be #3.

smokin3000gt
03-07-2012, 09:30 AM

He said he wants to play, not lose his ass off the rest of his career! :chuckle:

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
He said he wants to play, not lose his ass off the rest of his career! :chuckle:

If this is sour grapes, then he'll go wherever he can piss the Steelers off the most. Rats, Bungs or Stains all accomplish that goal...

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I hope he does go somewhere in our division, at least it will be one guy i know our secondary can cover.

fansince'76
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
This is assuming, of course, that he can even make a team...

BlacknGoldBabe
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
IMO, it would have been better if had he retired. It would be a shame after such an illustrious career to end up warming the pine for a sub-standard team or, worse, poor performance.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
This was posted on the Ravens board several days ago. Notice (if you google this idea) that "nflgridirongab" is the only source this is coming from. I'll believe it when Hines himself says it.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
This is assuming, of course, that he can even make a team...

Sorry to say, but I don't think the Steelers are exactly shaking in their boots at the prospect of Ward playing in the division. My impression is that there's little tread left on the tire, and outside of setting a good work example and serving as a mentor he has little value as a player.

katmandu
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
If this is sour grapes, then he'll go wherever he can piss the Steelers off the most. Rats, Bungs or Stains all accomplish that goal...x2. "IF" he does choose to do something as foolish/stupid as join the Ratbirds, Bungholes,Cheats or the Stains, he will singlehandly DESTROY his legacy as a Steeler.

Many fans will NEVER forgive him if he does this.

He NEEDS to understand this fact.

It would be a damn shame if this were to become reality.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
x2. "IF" he does choose to do something as foolish/stupid as join the Ratbirds, Bungholes,Cheats or the Stains, he will singlehandly DESTROY his legacy as a Steeler.

I dont know about destroying his legacy woodson did it and hes still loved in pittsburgh.

steeldevil
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
x2. "IF" he does choose to do something as foolish/stupid as join the Ratbirds, Bungholes,Cheats or the Stains, he will singlehandly DESTROY his legacy as a Steeler.

This isn't true at all.

86WARD
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM

False.

katmandu
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
I dont know about destroying his legacy woodson did it and hes still loved in pittsburgh.Let me clarify my point above. "IF" Hines were to chose to play anywhere else, IMHO, he won't damage his legacy.

Woodson's situation was a bit different in that he still had many (7yrs) left in his tank. Woodson signed clear on the other side of the country (49ers) and was not a hated rival. However, he DID join the Ratbirds after the 49ers.

I believe it would be seen as sour grapes "IF" he were to sign with any of our despised rivals first.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
So if ward signed with another team for a year and then the ravens it would be ok?

Butch
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
This is hillarious someone tells you how Hines is useless then gets their panties in a bunch when it is simply rumored that he wants to play for the rats. Guess you should look at it as the price of doing buisness in the NFL after all it was a business decision to get rid of him in the 1st place. I for one will wish Hines all the Luck in the world no matter where he goes. He is a great player and IMHO highly under rated, but I guess in time we will see.

Go get 'em Hines!!!

GoSlash27
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Unattributed internet speculation is apparently credible these days according to Bouchette.

tube517
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
His legacy is intact. He's a Steeler ALWAYS.

BigNastyDefense
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
First, this is some guys' blog and he's referencing the opinion of Ed Bouchette. None of this is coming from Ward's mouth, it's just someone reporting on the opinion of a guy who most of us think is a crap writer.

“I think he’d love to play in Baltimore. I don’t think he’s thinking of legacies right now,” he said of Ward. “These guys want to play… once they quit, they’re done.” - Ed Bouchette

That's just Ed's opinion. He wants hits to his hits to his articles online and newspapers to be sold. Saying that he thinks a Steelers all-time great wants to go to their biggest division rival is going to do that. Then that opinion somehow becomes fact as it's twisted around by the media and blogosphere and before you know it, it's a quote that's being attributed to Hines Ward himself

Now with Woodson, it's a bit different. Donahue was a dick and wanted Woodson to move to safety. Woodson felt that he could still play cornerback, and that's why he went to San Francisco. He played corner there for a season and then transitioned to safety. He went to the Ravens not to get back at the Steelers but for a shot at a ring because he felt of the teams that wanted him in free agency, they had the best defense to do it. He got his ring.

Ward going to the Ravens would likely be part to get back at the Steelers for releasing him.

And honestly, I don't think he has any interest in playing in the division. He remembers the comments from Suggs about a bounty being on him a few years ago. I think it would ruin his Steelers legacy a bit, and while he would eventually be embraced in Pittsburgh again, there would be a bruise on the relationship especially if he played a big role in beating the Steelers in the playoffs. Cleveland has no shot at winning anything, even though he'd start there, I doubt he wants to go there. And the Bengals...I don't think they are interested.

I think in the end, he goes to Arizona for a season or two to end his career. They love guys that the Steelers have released, and outside of Fitz the only receiver that is on the roster who's name I recognize is Chansi Stuckey and he's not a #2 receiver and might not even be a #3. Ward knows Whiz well and liked playing for him, won SB MVP with Whiz as his OC. Early Doucet is a UFA and there isn't a guarantee that he'd be resigned by Arizona opening it up for Ward even more...and playing alongside Fitz would open things up for Ward.

SteelGhost
03-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Unattributed internet speculation is apparently credible these days according to Bouchette.

As usual in the off-seasons :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 12:40 PM

I have seen others say this around the web. So I think there will be a backlash, but I don't know at what level. But Hines did do everything humanly possible to remain a Steeler, but it was the Steeler's that threw him out, not Hines.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2012, 01:25 PM
I have seen others say this around the web. So I think there will be a backlash, but I don't know at what level. But Hines did do everything humanly possible to remain a Steeler, but it was the Steeler's that threw him out, not Hines.

Actually it was Hines, he cost 1 million bucks to keep per the Vet rules and he barely could find the field last year over the guys we already have on the roster cause he's aged.

that's the reason the Steelers released him.

Does the prospect of Ward playing for the Ravens really worry or bother me? Nope. Not at all. Its his life, he wants to make money and prove he can still play, if he opts for the Ravens, so be it, because the bottom line is, the Ravens are NOT a Rival for us in my mind. They are just another divisional opponent that has NEVER beaten us in the Playoffs. EVER.

So if he wants to go play for those losers and jackoffs, so be it. I hope he enjoys being covered by William Gay in our nickle package when he finds the field in a 4 WR Set the Ravens will run about 3 times a game.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Fake Hines Ward report catches WPXI in oops moment

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201203/20120308brocouncilhinesward_500.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12067/1215046-67.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

O'Malley
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
He can sign with whoever... He's always a Steeler and one of the all time greats... If he did sign with the Rats, at least I would definatly see him play twice next year!

Godfather
03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Actually it was Hines, he cost 1 million bucks to keep per the Vet rules and he barely could find the field last year over the guys we already have on the roster cause he's aged.

True, but he wouldn't count for $1M against the cap. They put in a rule a few years ago saying anyone making the vet minimum counts against the cap at the league minimum. It was designed to keep vets from getting cut for cap reasons. Some people call it the Jerry Rice rule.

Count Steeler
03-07-2012, 04:00 PM
His time came to an end in Pittsburgh. Largely due to the success of the recent drafts. There are younger and quicker players, that in some part have been groomed by Ward himself. If the WRs did not develop to where they are now, Ward would still be a Steeler. Unfortunately, if we keep Cotchery, Ward would be 5th at best.

Sad to let him go, but the FO could not justify paying him his salary at his place on the depth chart. I commend the Steelers for putting the good of the team ahead of the sentimentality of keeping Ward. I wish Ward all the best, it will be interesting if he can make another team and still contribute at a high level.

steelerdude15
03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Isn't going to happen, get it out of your heads. Why go to a team he doesn't like?

zulater
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
This is hillarious someone tells you how Hines is useless then gets their panties in a bunch when it is simply rumored that he wants to play for the rats. Guess you should look at it as the price of doing buisness in the NFL after all it was a business decision to get rid of him in the 1st place. I for one will wish Hines all the Luck in the world no matter where he goes. He is a great player and IMHO highly under rated, but I guess in time we will see.

Go get 'em Hines!!!

You're kidding yourself. It was a football decision more than it was a business decision to release Ward. He was the 5th best receiver on the team, and he doesn't play special teams. Granted the 4 guys in front of him were pretty good. But still Ward wasn't a very good player by any standard last season. He had two good games, a couple average ones, and other than that he was almost a liability. And not only was his contributions as a pass catcher mostly below the bar, his blocking was nothing special either.

He was a great Steeler, but the key word here is was.

Maybe because of the Dancing with the Stars b.s. he didn't do all that he should have the previous off season? Maybe there were injuries involved? Perhaps if he rededicates himself he can become a serviceable NFL receiver again? But I doubt it. Father time is undefeated and I think Ward's time has come and gone.

Butch
03-07-2012, 09:02 PM
You're kidding yourself. It was a football decision more than it was a business decision to release Ward. He was the 5th best receiver on the team, and he doesn't play special teams. Granted the 4 guys in front of him were pretty good. But still Ward wasn't a very good player by any standard last season. He had two good games, a couple average ones, and other than that he was almost a liability. And not only was his contributions as a pass catcher mostly below the bar, his blocking was nothing special either.

He was a great Steeler, but the key word here is was.

Maybe because of the Dancing with the Stars b.s. he didn't do all that he should have the previous off season? Maybe there were injuries involved? Perhaps if he rededicates himself he can become a serviceable NFL receiver again? But I doubt it. Father time is undefeated and I think Ward's time has come and gone.

Who's kidding who??? Football decision or financial, people who wanted Hines to go (you being one of 'em) got their wishes. Now some of those same people have their panties in a bunch at the idea that Hines could play for a rival and are even ruing the idea that his play could eventually hurt the Steelers.

I hear how spoiled Steeler fans are from Shoes speaking of those of us who support Hines, but he doesn't see it from this crowd??? They want him gone and now he is, but that's not good enough they are going to begrudge Hines if he plays for the rats??? Hines may never play again but if he does and it's with the rats or any other hated team remember it was a decision by the Steelers (and supported by many of you) that opened that door.

Hard to prove you are a worthy receiver when you don't get passes. Say what you will about how great our receivers are but I saw many times where Heath and others have dropped passes yet nobody is talking about that. How many times has Ben overthrown, underthrown or just been completely off target to Wallace on the long passes??? Saw many of those passes where Mike didn't even put up much of a fight to get to the ball. As I have said before I don't see Hines having a breakout year, but I believe he can still make plays. Guess we'll see if someone else picks him up.

zulater
03-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Who's kidding who??? Football decision or financial, people who wanted Hines to go (you being one of 'em) got their wishes. Now some of those same people have their panties in a bunch at the idea that Hines could play for a rival and are even ruing the idea that his play could eventually hurt the Steelers.

I hear how spoiled Steeler fans are from Shoes speaking of those of us who support Hines, but he doesn't see it from this crowd??? They want him gone and now he is, but that's not good enough they are going to begrudge Hines if he plays for the rats??? Hines may never play again but if he does and it's with the rats or any other hated team remember it was a decision by the Steelers (and supported by many of you) that opened that door.

Hard to prove you are a worthy receiver when you don't get passes. Say what you will about how great our receivers are but I saw many times where Heath and others have dropped passes yet nobody is talking about that. How many times has Ben overthrown, underthrown or just been completely off target to Wallace on the long passes??? Saw many of those passes where Mike didn't even put up much of a fight to get to the ball. As I have said before I don't see Hines having a breakout year, but I believe he can still make plays. Guess we'll see if someone else picks him up.

I only want the Steelers to keep the best 53 man roster they can assemble. Aaron Smith may have been my favorite player of the last decade, but guess what, his time was up. I don't bitch about it, or make up conspiracy theories to explain it, he couldn't stay healthy and it was his time.

Same with Farrior. Probably the best free agent signing by the Steelers since the free agency era has began. Was a great player from 2002-2008. Had a off year in 2009, but rebounded nicely and played well in 2010. But last year his play slipped. He can't cover anymore. It was time to let him go.

Some day it will be Troy's turn, Ben's turn etc... That' the way it goes, the roster is always evolving. You see where this is going yet?

You make it personal, it's not. It's just about trying to figure out your best 53 man roster. A 4th or 5th wide receiver who can't play special teams isn't a good bet to make the team. That's all it's ever been about for me Butch.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I only want the Steelers to keep the best 53 man roster they can assemble. Aaron Smith may have been my favorite player of the last decade, but guess what, his time was up. I don't bitch about it, or make up conspiracy theories to explain it, he couldn't stay healthy and it was his time.

Same with Farrior. Probably the best free agent signing by the Steelers since the free agency era has began. Was a great player from 2002-2008. Had a off year in 2009, but rebounded nicely and played well in 2010. But last year his play slipped. He can't cover anymore. It was time to let him go.

Some day it will be Troy's turn, Ben's turn etc... That' the way it goes, the roster is always evolving. You see where this is going yet?

You make it personal, it's not. It's just about trying to figure out your best 53 man roster. A 4th or 5th wide receiver who can't play special teams isn't a good bet to make the team. That's all it's ever been about for me Butch.

Very true Z... the "circle of life."

ShutDown24
03-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Fake Hines Ward report catches WPXI in oops moment

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201203/20120308brocouncilhinesward_500.jpg

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12067/1215046-67.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

The current state of news media is at an all time low.

Moose
03-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Hines in ratbird uniform ?!- Not saying it won't happen, it definitely could, but in my heart I just don't see Hines doing it. He mentioned that he'd always bleed Black/Gold, which we all know he said in a moment of sorrow and when the big bucks start stacking on the table in front of him he may change his mind and uniform, but being his age and speed is different now compared to the youngster's he'd compete with I think his threat as a WR is definitely history. Save face Hines.......call it quits !!

SteelGhost
03-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hines in ratbird uniform ?!- Not saying it won't happen, it definitely could, but in my heart I just don't see Hines doing it. He mentioned that he'd always bleed Black/Gold, which we all know he said in a moment of sorrow and when the big bucks start stacking on the table in front of him he may change his mind and uniform, but being his age and speed is different now compared to the youngster's he'd compete with I think his threat as a WR is definitely history. Save face Hines.......call it quits !!

I don't see any team paying more than the vet min for his services, he's one of my favorite players in Steelers history, but father time has claimed his cleats ... sad but true :(

Polamalu Princess
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Not going to happen - IMHO.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2012, 08:27 PM
His time came to an end in Pittsburgh. Largely due to the success of the recent drafts. There are younger and quicker players, that in some part have been groomed by Ward himself. If the WRs did not develop to where they are now, Ward would still be a Steeler. Unfortunately, if we keep Cotchery, Ward would be 5th at best.

Sad to let him go, but the FO could not justify paying him his salary at his place on the depth chart. I commend the Steelers for putting the good of the team ahead of the sentimentality of keeping Ward. I wish Ward all the best, it will be interesting if he can make another team and still contribute at a high level.

Perfectly stated.

Best wishes Hines whether in the AFC north or anywhere else. Love him to pieces.

GoSlash27
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Are we still arguing over a story that's already been debunked?

BigNastyDefense
03-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Are we still arguing over a story that's already been debunked?

One word, two syllables: "Offseason:

Steeldude
03-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Nothing in the article about Ward saying he would like to be a Raven.

Shouldn't the title of the thread read "Ed Bouchette thinks Hines Ward would like to be a Raven".