PDA

View Full Version : Why Wallace Wasn't Tagged

Count Steeler
03-06-2012, 06:14 PM
From Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Why-Wallace-wasnt-tagged/d875fdd8-f306-4c7f-a4e9-fce3cca8e47c

Count Steeler
03-06-2012, 06:15 PM
With all the personnel moves they made and the restructuring of contracts, they are still tight for cap space.

fansince'76
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
I heard something a while back about Colbert and Wallace's agent negotiating an extension, but I haven't heard anything since. Any word on how the talks are going on that front? :noidea:

Count Steeler
03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I heard something a while back about Colbert and Wallace's agent negotiating an extension, but I haven't heard anything since. Any word on how the talks are going on that front? :noidea:

Now that you mention that, I do remember that. Hope he thinks he is at home right here.

Iron Steeler
03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
So does Wallace have a choice? Could he say nah I wanna go withe the cheaper contract and stay with the steelers?

ALLD
03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
My instincts say he will most likely accept a one year tender and then play for a huge payday the following season.

NCSteeler
03-07-2012, 03:02 AM
Your instincts maybe out of tune.....

Wallace also said "I definitely want to get my money,"

Wallace responds to question about 49ers and Pats

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8271efd1/article/steelers-wallace-openly-flirts-with-49ers-patriots

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 05:01 AM
So does Wallace have a choice? Could he say nah I wanna go withe the cheaper contract and stay with the steelers?

Yes. This is a point I've been trying to make around here for a couple of days now but no one seems to be buying in. Wallace is a free agent. Just because the 49ers hypothetically offer him a contract that the Steelers can't match up front - doesn't mean Wallace has to go to San Francisco. If he decides to sign the contract, and the Steelers can't match the offer exactly as is - then it's over. But. If Wallace talks to the Steelers before signing the offer sheet and says "this is what X team offered me, can you match it?" then the Steelers can get creative. They can allocate money in different ways that would effectively give Wallace the same salary, but in a different contract. Now, chances of this happening aren't great. I feel like Wallace is the type of player who is going to aggressively pursue the most money he can get right now. But what I've exemplified above is a scenario that could potentially play out if the player decides he would prefer to stay with the Steelers.

zulater
03-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Yes. This is a point I've been trying to make around here for a couple of days now but no one seems to be buying in. Wallace is a free agent. Just because the 49ers hypothetically offer him a contract that the Steelers can't match up front - doesn't mean Wallace has to go to San Francisco. If he decides to sign the contract, and the Steelers can't match the offer exactly as is - then it's over. But. If Wallace talks to the Steelers before signing the offer sheet and says "this is what X team offered me, can you match it?" then the Steelers can get creative. They can allocate money in different ways that would effectively give Wallace the same salary, but in a different contract. Now, chances of this happening aren't great. I feel like Wallace is the type of player who is going to aggressively pursue the most money he can get right now. But what I've exemplified above is a scenario that could potentially play out if the player decides he would prefer to stay with the Steelers.

That's a nice thought and all, but once it gets to this point the player will almost always do what his agent tells him to do. Money is used as a wedge between the player and his current team. It's used to show lack of respect, i.e. if they really loved you they wouldn't be lowballing you. Then the agent will bring up Hines and how he was cut to make the case that you've got to get what you can when you can.

I know history is on the Steelers side, that RFA's almost always stay put, at least in the short term. But this is the perfect storm of circumstances, and never has there been a player more likely to be poached than Wallace.

I still put it at 50/50 whether he stays or goes.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 05:37 AM
I sincerely doubt anything gets done before free agency starts. He wants to test the waters and see if anyone is silly enough to pay him 20 million a year.

Unfortunately for Wallace (and fortunately for us), Al Davis is dead. Wallace is EXACTLY his kind of player. He would have paid boatloads of cash for him...

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 05:39 AM
That's a nice thought and all, but once it gets to this point the player will almost always do what his agent tells him to do.

That's pretty much why I said the following.

Now, chances of this happening aren't great. I feel like Wallace is the type of player who is going to aggressively pursue the most money he can get right now.

Very few players in the league are going to do what I'm suggesting. However, I didn't think Ryan Clark was the type of player who would give the Steelers every chance before signing somewhere else for more money either - and I was proven wrong there. So it can happen, even with guys who you might not necessarily think would do so.

The other aspect of Wallace talking to the Steelers before signing a contract with another team, is that it gives the player an opportunity to pit both teams against one another which ultimately results in the most money for Wallace. A game of back and forth phone tag could easily up the 49ers offer sheet. To your point about agents - that is exactly what Wallace's agent will tell him is best.

zulater
03-07-2012, 05:48 AM
That's pretty much why I said the following.

Very few players in the league are going to do what I'm suggesting. However, I didn't think Ryan Clark was the type of player who would give the Steelers every chance before signing somewhere else for more money either - and I was proven wrong there. So it can happen, even with guys who you might not necessarily think would do so.

The other aspect of Wallace talking to the Steelers before signing a contract with another team, is that it gives the player an opportunity to pit both teams against one another which ultimately results in the most money for Wallace. A game of back and forth phone tag could easily up the 49ers offer sheet. To your point about agents - that is exactly what Wallace's agent will tell him is best.

I hope Wallace and other Steeler free agents seek the counsel of Ryan Clark and Larry Foote. A lot of these young bucks just assume that wherever they go it will be relatively the same as it was with the Steelers. But Clark and Foote know first hand that organizational excellence trumps all. You put yourself in the wrong circumstances on the wrong team you might make 5% more today, but in the long run your value drops as your circumstance's dictate your level of play.

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
I hope Wallace and other Steeler free agents seek the counsel of Ryan Clark and Larry Foote. A lot of these young bucks just assume that wherever they go it will be relatively the same as it was with the Steelers. But Clark and Foote know first hand that organizational excellence trumps all. You put yourself in the wrong circumstances on the wrong team you might make 5% more today, but in the long run your value drops as your circumstance's dictate your level of play.

Definitely. I wish agents could figure this out and steer their clients in the right direction - it would even be better for them in the long run. I'd have to say not many third year players will come to this conclusion. That's the only thing that scares me about Wallace potentially leaving. I don't know if he has the head on his shoulders to realize playing for this organization is worth more than $75,000 extra a season.

Pristas
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM

Bull crap. He is one of the most talented receivers in the league and the Steelers should, and would, have payed him big money this year... except they have a huge cap problem. The guy's life expectancy in the NFL is what, 10 good years? He's already used up two of those. He has to look out for himself, his future, his family now. If I were him I would make sure that I was financially taken care of. This is his job, not college "prideful" football. Yes, the Steelers are a class organization, but they screwed up on this one. Best of luck to Mike wherever he ends up, but my guess is that it won't be in the Burgh. Clark and Foote are not, and never have been, in the elite class of player that Mike is in.

Career ending injuries happen in this league.

BlastFurnace
03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't blame Wallace for going for the money.

He said in a recent Sirius Radio interview that he will not go to a 2 win team even if the money is there. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to sign with San Francisco, but not with New England, Baltimore, or Cincinnati...if the rumors are correct that those teams are interested.

There always is a darkhorse team that is silently watching that could jump in, and that wouldn't surprise me one bit if that happens.

To me, the Steelers are in a Win-Win situation here and are the ones sitting in the Catbird seat...not Wallace. Like I said before, they survived losing Plex and Holmes (who IMO, is a better receiver than Wallace...just a headcase). They can survive losing Wallace too.

steeldevil
03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I sincerely doubt anything gets done before free agency starts. He wants to test the waters and see if anyone is silly enough to pay him 20 million a year.

Unfortunately for Wallace (and fortunately for us), Al Davis is dead. Wallace is EXACTLY his kind of player. He would have paid boatloads of cash for him...

But they traded their 1st this year to get Carson Palmer. They couldn't get Wallace even if the Crypt Keeper wanted to.

If he was still alive I think him realizing this might have killed him... :lol:

RIP Al.

Burghfan58
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
No confirmed link, but I read on another site that he was spotted in Miami at a Heat game with Ocho and Ben Jarvis Green Ellis of the Pats.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Bull crap. He is one of the most talented receivers in the league and the Steelers should, and would, have payed him big money this year... except they have a huge cap problem. The guy's life expectancy in the NFL is what, 10 good years? He's already used up two of those. He has to look out for himself, his future, his family now. If I were him I would make sure that I was financially taken care of. This is his job, not college "prideful" football. Yes, the Steelers are a class organization, but they screwed up on this one. Best of luck to Mike wherever he ends up, but my guess is that it won't be in the Burgh. Clark and Foote are not, and never have been, in the elite class of player that Mike is in.

Career ending injuries happen in this league.

I never begrudge a player for going for a better contract. But I still contend giving a small home team discount to stay on a team where your situation is obviously favorable, particularly if that team is one of the more stable and successful franchises, pays off in the long term way more often than not. Going back as far as Neil O'Dummy who turned down a good contract offer from the Steelers to go to the Jets, players who leave the Steelers usually regret leaving. Leon Searcy's another that comes to mind who's gone on record after his career saying he wished he had stayed with the Steelers. A more recent example, Sandoobio. He's gone from being considered one of the league's better receivers to an under performing malcontent.

Again I think the number I mentioned was 5%. To me losing 5% short term, is more than cancelled out by staying on a good team that knows how to best use your talents.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't blame Wallace for going for the money.

He said in a recent Sirius Radio interview that he will not go to a 2 win team even if the money is there. Personally, I think it would be a mistake to sign with San Francisco, but not with New England, Baltimore, or Cincinnati...if the rumors are correct that those teams are interested.

There always is a darkhorse team that is silently watching that could jump in, and that wouldn't surprise me one bit if that happens.

To me, the Steelers are in a Win-Win situation here and are the ones sitting in the Catbird seat...not Wallace. Like I said before, they survived losing Plex and Holmes (who IMO, is a better receiver than Wallace...just a headcase). They can survive losing Wallace too.

Well said! :applaudit:

Chidi29
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
From the article

but no restricted free agent carrying a first-round tender has signed an offer sheet in the last 10 years league-wide

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
From the article

We get it. But what you're missing is that Wallace is the sort of player that would usually carry a franchise tag. And the Steelers aren't in position to match a well crafted offer from another team.

Chidi29
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
We get it. But what you're missing is that Wallace is the sort of player that would usually carry a franchise tag. And the Steelers aren't in position to match a well crafted offer from another team.

There was no reason to tag and use the money. Why force their hand when they might, and to me, probably won't have to give him anything more than the tender?

To first be able to match a well crafted offer, there has to be said offer first. And that is unlikely to happen.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:55 AM
There was no reason to tag and use the money. Why force their hand when they might, and to me, probably won't have to give him anything more than the tender?

To first be able to match a well crafted offer, there has to be said offer first. And that is unlikely to happen.

If you say so. :coffee:

We'll find out soon enough. I think you're wrong on this. In life there's always exceptions. This looks to be one of them to me for reasons discussed already ad nauseum.

O'Malley
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Either way one player doesn't make a team... Plus the second half of the season he spent a lot of time being a decoy IMO... If he stays or if he goes, he is a WR.. You can always find another WR. Would I prefer him staying, of course..

GoSlash27
03-09-2012, 09:33 PM
May as well give it a week instead of speculating.