PDA

View Full Version : Burress Calls Big Ben His Favorite Quarterback & Is Open To Returning To Steelers

polamalubeast
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/burress-calls-roethlisberger-his-favorite-quarterback-is-open-to-returning-to-steelers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

SteelerEmpire
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Well. Somebodies got to take Wallace's place. :cry02:

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Honestly, I'd sign him to a one year deal. But that doesn't mean the Steelers will. Plax was awesome in the redzone last season.

Hindes204
03-06-2012, 12:44 PM
fuck that guy

fansince'76
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Thought Pittsburgh was too "racist (http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/2005_3901077/ward-disputes-burress-claims-steelers-wr-says-pitt.html)" for him. :coffee:

SteelMember
03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Here we go again.

:juggle:

ALLD
03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I heard it live and the start with Shine was slow. Plax may not be a good fit with the Steelers.

Edman
03-06-2012, 01:21 PM
No.

Dodt
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
as long as he takes gun safety classes taught by harrison.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
as long as he takes gun safety classes taught by harrison.

Or Stevie Johnson could show him how it works.

I am honestly OK if the guy came back for a couple seasons, but doubt that it happens.

Steeldude
03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Well. Somebodies got to take Wallace's place. :cry02:

Well it would be nice if it that replacement was a good WR. Burress is a joke.

Steeldude
03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Burress is just looking to latch on anywhere. He plays like he is a 5' 5". Burress was so overrated when he was here. Why waste cap room on this fool?

zulater
03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
fuck that guy

But how do you really feel? :scratchchin:

:chuckle:

Hey this could really happen though. All it would take is for Ben to break into Colbert's office, steal a blank contract, sign Plax and hypnotize Kevin into thinking it was really his idea all along!

Or maybe not. :rolleyes:

tube517
03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Won't happen. Said it last year, too.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
My initial reaction was no way will the Steelers bring him in. But... He visited the Steelers last year, so it's not that far fetched they would look at him. And after the success he had last season, I don't think this is one of those cases where you can just say "no".

polamalubeast
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Burress is just looking to latch on anywhere. He plays like he is a 5' 5". Burress was so overrated when he was here. Why waste cap room on this fool?

But he was very good in the red zone with the jets.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM

You can't fake 8 touchdowns. And 600+ yards with a 13+ ypc average isn't shabby at all with Mark Sanchez throwing the ball to you. He can absolutely still play, it's just a matter of if the headache of his bone-headedness is worth it. For that kind of production as cheap as he should come, I'd say it's worth at least a look.

O'Malley
03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Plex=crack, just say no!

tube517
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
I will say this. He shot himself in the foot :chuckle: by going to the Jets. And he knows that. These guys that all leave Pittsburgh (Burress, Parker, Foote, El, Leftwich, BMac, etc) all either come back or want to come back. They see how shitty it is elsewhere. I hope Wallace realizes what he will lose by going somewhere else.

polamalubeast
03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Buress or Randy Moss?

The Duke
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Buress or Randy Moss?

that's like choosing rectal exam or kick in the nuts

Burress would cost too much for a 4th/5th receiver. Let the jackass rot elsewhere

fansince'76
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Buress or Randy Moss?

that's like choosing rectal exam or kick in the nuts

Burress would cost too much for a 4th/5th receiver. Let the jackass rot elsewhere

:lol:

True dat! :thumbsup:

SteelGhost
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
No thanks :chuckle:

Count Steeler
03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I would take a pass. No need here, move along.

SteelerEmpire
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
I will say this. He shot himself in the foot :chuckle: by going to the Jets. And he knows that. These guys that all leave Pittsburgh (Burress, Parker, Foote, El, Leftwich, BMac, etc) all either come back or want to come back. They see how shitty it is elsewhere. I hope Wallace realizes what he will lose by going somewhere else.

Do you mean you can get paid millions of dollars and still be unhappy ? :sarcasm2:

BigNastyDefense
03-06-2012, 04:01 PM
No thank you. He wants to be a starter, and I don't think the Steelers lose Wallace. He wouldn't be happy being a 3rd or 4th string receiver. He'd cause drama that the Steelers don't want or need.

And don't think that Colbert and the Rooneys have forgotten his words before he left. The Steelers have been focusing on going younger. If they didn't want to restructure Ward's contract to keep him on the team, why would they sign this asshole? Last year the talked to him, and he made it known he was going to the highest bidder. The Jets don't want him back, they'd rather try to get Braylon Edwards back and he only played in less than a handful of games last season for the 49ers. I think that says a lot about Plax, that a team full of loudmouth, never won a thing jerkoffs don't even want him back.

fansince'76
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Do you mean you can get paid millions of dollars and still be unhappy ? :sarcasm2:

Considering all the bitching, whining and moaning Holmes did last season, apparently so.

polamalubeast
03-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Each year, he has the discussions if the steelers should sign Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or Buress!

fansince'76
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Each year, he has the discussions if the steelers should sign Randy Moss, Terrell Owens or Buress!

Don't forget Vick!

polamalubeast
03-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Don't forget Vick!

It was only in 2009!

tube517
03-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't forget Vick!

And Tiki! :chuckle:

T&B fan
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
why on earth would we take plax after just letting Ward go ....and if we can't keep Wallace , I say try to get Ward back .

BlastFurnace
03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd rather have Cotchery back than Burress.

Besides, there is a ProFootballTalk article where Burress is saying how great it would be to be back with the Giants. Last week, he said he wants to join the Eagles. I guess it's a matter of time before he starts telling the world how great Sanchez and Rex are.

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
why on earth would we take plax after just letting Ward go ....and if we can't keep Wallace , I say try to get Ward back .

I kind of agree, but Burress could be a bigger threat in the Redzone than Ward, being that he's tall and what not, maybe he draws some coverage in the back of the endzone that opens up some underneath stuff.

But I imagine Steelers fans would lose their mind if we "replaced" Ward with Burress.

Didn't Burress say in the locker room or right after the 04 loss to the Patriots that he wanted to leave because he hated "being with this bunch of losers"? Pretty sure he did say something like that, or at least, that was report after he left. That he said he hated being around the "bunch of losers" we were at that time. Too bad we went on to win 2 SBs without his arse. but he did get his one ring. So its not like he isn't a Champion. And A bunch of us did in fact cheer for him when he caught the game winning TD against the Patriots in the 18-1 game.

steelerdude15
03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Let's not pick up this headache and somehow convince Mikey to sign. Maybe he should read what PB says on hear, maybe that will convince him. :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
03-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Redemption? we gave him up to keep ward, now the tables have turned.

Its funny how much of an angel Plax looked next to our former WR Sandoobio Holmes. I think he just wants to play and win, for so much turmoil going on last year, he kept his mouth shut. That being said, he did have his chance last year, but he went for the big pay check.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
To me, even in the scenario that we have Wallace, Brown, Cotchery and Sanders back - adding Plaxico to the roster would make the team better. He would be a very good option in the redzone on an offense that struggled in that area a great deal last season. I would never pass on looking into an opportunity that would improve my team.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
He just wants a job anywhere. The last I heard, he wanted to play for the Eagles. We don't need him.

Steeldude
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM

He wasn't good in the red zone with the Steelers.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
My initial reaction was no way will the Steelers bring him in. But... He visited the Steelers last year, so it's not that far fetched they would look at him. And after the success he had last season, I don't think this is one of those cases where you can just say "no".

I agree.

BigNastyDefense
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Redemption? we gave him up to keep ward, now the tables have turned.

Its funny how much of an angel Plax looked next to our former WR Sandoobio Holmes. I think he just wants to play and win, for so much turmoil going on last year, he kept his mouth shut. That being said, he did have his chance last year, but he went for the big pay check.

The Steelers didn't give up on him nearly as much as he didn't want to come back.

Devilsdancefloor
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
fuck that guy

i couldnt agree more!!! He left the team and burned too many bridges plus he is just looking for a pay check

Count Steeler
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Most importantly, he has played with Manning and Roethlisberger and he says Ben is his fav.

So Ben > Eli. Plex knows!

86WARD
03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
no need. last off-season I would have. No need with the development of the receiving corps.

Austin87
03-07-2012, 02:42 AM
To me, even in the scenario that we have Wallace, Brown, Cotchery and Sanders back - adding Plaxico to the roster would make the team better. He would be a very good option in the redzone on an offense that struggled in that area a great deal last season. I would never pass on looking into an opportunity that would improve my team.

Couldn't agree more.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 05:34 AM
No, no, no. Head case and trouble maker. The first game where he doesn't have a ctach he'll start I with the locker room poison. Spending time in New York will only make his ego worse, not better.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
We would rather have cotchery than burress????? Really ??????? Burress would be a great addition to our recieving corp and would be a huge factor in the redzone, cotchery really does nothing for us.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
We would rather have cotchery than burress????? Really ??????? Burress would be a great addition to our recieving corp and would be a huge factor in the redzone, cotchery really does nothing for us.

Do we want quiet, solid production from a professional team player, or drama from a prima donna locker room poison?

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Do we want quiet, solid production from a professional team player, or drama from a prima donna locker room poison?

Locker room poison? Cotchery gives us solid production??? We cant score in the red zone!!!! Burress with us went 15-1 and then went to the giants and won a superbowl he is hands down a better player and a bigger threat then cotchery is or ever was. If our offense needed a few catches from a possession reciever with no speed we would of just kept ward.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Cotchery barely played (because of Ward), but when he did he was productive. He's had multiple seasons catching more than 70 passes. His best years were as a #2 or #3 on a run first team. He's still relatively young, he can get open, and he can catch. He'll sign a deal that will be a steal.

Plaxico is a cancer, and always was. People forget the things he said when he left Pittsburgh. He's 5 years older than Cotchery. He'll undoubtedly want a LOT more money (money we don't have). His whole career has been littered with off-field and ON-FIELD issues. He's actually about as fast as Cotchery, and is probably actually a step slower now that's he's older. What he is is tall. And, at this point, that's about all he is.

Doesn't matter. The Steelers are never going to go for this locker room typhoid Mary anyway.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Cotchery barely played (because of Ward), but when he did he was productive. He's had multiple seasons catching more than 70 passes. His best years were as a #2 or #3 on a run first team. He's still relatively young, he can get open, and he can catch. He'll sign a deal that will be a steal.

Plaxico is a cancer, and always was. People forget the things he said when he left Pittsburgh. He's 5 years older than Cotchery. He'll undoubtedly want a LOT more money (money we don't have). His whole career has been littered with off-field and ON-FIELD issues. He's actually about as fast as Cotchery, and is probably actually a step slower now that's he's older. What he is is tall. And, at this point, that's about all he is.

Doesn't matter. The Steelers are never going to go for this locker room typhoid Mary anyway.

exactly cothery is 5 years younger and burress played as a number 2 last season after being out of the league. cotchery being 5 years younger and he cant get on the field. That run first team that cothery played for is the same team that got rid of him and signed burress because they needed better production from their recievers. You say all he is is tall but last season he went for 612yds and 8 tds. You would nt trade a few possession catches for 8 tds, i find this whole lockerrom poison thing ridiculous... lets sign guys that fill needs on our football team and stop looking for guys who we think our nice guys. patriots sign ocho and haynesworth last seaon 2 terrible locker room guys and they went to the superbowl, burress is already a champion he knows how to win, what has cotchery done?

tube517
03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
exactly cothery is 5 years younger and burress played as a number 2 last season after being out of the league. cotchery being 5 years younger and he cant get on the field. That run first team that cothery played for is the same team that got rid of him and signed burress because they needed better production from their recievers. You say all he is is tall but last season he went for 612yds and 8 tds. You would nt trade a few possession catches for 8 tds, i find this whole lockerrom poison thing ridiculous... lets sign guys that fill needs on our football team and stop looking for guys who we think our nice guys. patriots sign ocho and haynesworth last seaon 2 terrible locker room guys and they went to the superbowl, burress is already a champion he knows how to win, what has cotchery done?

I won't argue with you on Burress but bringing up Ocho and Fat Albert is laughable. Ocho did jack shit for them. Haynesworth was released in November and got into a fight with an asst coach of the Cheats*. No production from either old fart.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
It's not going to happen. The inmates don't run the asylum, and the fans don't run the Steelers. Burress ain't coming back.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
I won't argue with you on Burress but bringing up Ocho and Fat Albert is laughable. Ocho did jack shit for them. Haynesworth was released in November and got into a fight with an asst coach of the Cheats*. No production from either old fart.

It was in reference to locker room poisons nothing to do with their performance. Eventhough they went with 2 guys that are considered terrible locker room guys they still managed to go to a superbowl.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
It's not going to happen. The inmates don't run the asylum, and the fans don't run the Steelers. Burress ain't coming back.

I dont think burress will come back but i would rather have him then cotchery.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I dont think burress will come back but i would rather have him then cotchery.

Good thing you don't run the Steelers.

Cotchery will probably be a #3 for us if we sign him, and MAY be a #2 behind Brown if Wallace leaves. If that's the case, I expect 80 catches and 10 TD's from him. And he'll do that on the cheap.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Good thing you don't run the Steelers.

Cotchery will probably be a #3 for us if we sign him, and MAY be a #2 behind Brown if Wallace leaves. If that's the case, I expect 80 catches and 10 TD's from him. And he'll do that on the cheap.

Wow 10 tds he only has 20 tds in his whole career and the most hes ever caught in a season is 6, now hes gonna catch 10 as a number 3?

suitanim
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Wow 10 tds he only has 20 tds in his whole career and the most hes ever caught in a season is 6, now hes gonna catch 10 as a number 3?

Why not...he had 82 catches back-to-back a few years ago with the Jets, and that was playing at#2 AND #3, and they were run-first. It makes no sense for us to become a run-first team with an elite QB and all the weapons we have. He's a possession receiver, someone you throw to (if you're not going to run) inside the 20, because he can actually catch the ball. There's no reason he couldn't have a break-out season if he's a number 2 with us. Hines had 4-5 seasons where he had 10 TD's, and Wallace had 10 in 2009.

BlacknGoldBabe
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Plex=crack, just say no!

:toofunny:Burress opens his mouth and shoots his foot off!

Bluecoat96
03-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Why not...he had 82 catches back-to-back a few years ago with the Jets, and that was playing at#2 AND #3, and they were run-first. It makes no sense for us to become a run-first team with an elite QB and all the weapons we have. He's a possession receiver, someone you throw to (if you're not going to run) inside the 20, because he can actually catch the ball. There's no reason he couldn't have a break-out season if he's a number 2 with us. Hines had 4-5 seasons where he had 10 TD's, and Wallace had 10 in 2009.

AND he would have a QB like Big Ben throwing to him, as opposed to Chad Pennington or Dirty Sanchez. BIG difference, IMHO.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 10:19 AM

If cotchery is our number 2 we are in trouble, no way hes catching 10 tds, and lets not compare him to mike wallace hes not even close. If you think cotchery should be a number 2 on any team in this league you are crazy. our recieving corp will not be brown cotchery sanders that would be awful ben would lose his mind.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Put me on the Cotchery over Burress bandwagon too. It's not even close. Cotchery's cheaper ( Burress got 3 million last year before incentives) younger, and as of now a better player than Burress currently is. Oh yeah, and not a pain in the ass in the locker room. Burress has a long penchant for being late, and inattentive at team meetings.

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
If cotchery is our number 2 we are in trouble, no way hes catching 10 tds, and lets not compare him to mike wallace hes not even close. If you think cotchery should be a number 2 on any team in this league you are crazy. our recieving corp will not be brown cotchery sanders that would be awful ben would lose his mind.

Cotchery wont be our number 2, Sanders will be. And Ben might piss and moan initially about losing Wallace, but he'd get over it and make it work. And I contend that Ben's already won a Super Bowl with a lesser group of receivers in 2005. Cedric Wilson and Quincy Morgan were the 2 and 4 receivers on that team. Even without Wallace, neither of those two ( as they were then) would make next year's team.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Put me on the Cotchery over Burress bandwagon too. It's not even close. Cotchery's cheaper ( Burress got 3 million last year before incentives) younger, and as of now a better player than Burress currently is. Oh yeah, and not a pain in the ass in the locker room. Burress has a long penchant for being late, and inattentive at team meetings.

I dont see what cotchery has done to prove hes a better player? where is the proof that cotchery is a better player, certainly not in his track record. The reason cotchery is cheaper is because hes not as good. Your talking about using cotchery as a 2 over plaxico burress thats crazy. We are talking about losing mike wallace one of the best young talents in the game and replacing him with jericho cotchery! jericho cotchery! burress cAUGHT 8 TD last season on a ground and pound team with mark sanchez at qb and all the sudden he cant play?

zulater
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I dont see what cotchery has done to prove hes a better player? where is the proof that cotchery is a better player, certainly not in his track record. The reason cotchery is cheaper is because hes not as good. Your talking about using cotchery as a 2 over plaxico burress thats crazy. We are talking about losing mike wallace one of the best young talents in the game and replacing him with jericho cotchery! jericho cotchery! burress cAUGHT 8 TD last season on a ground and pound team with mark sanchez at qb and all the sudden he cant play?

He was good in the red zone, that was it. On the rest of the field he was virtually incapable of getting separation. He has old legs, and the calender doesn't spin backwards for anybody.

I trust the Steelers will have a better handle on it than any of us. I'll trust they'll make the right move. So if in the end they take Burress over Cotchery I'll admit I was wrong.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 10:57 AM
He was good in the red zone, that was it. On the rest of the field he was virtually incapable of getting separation. He has old legs, and the calender doesn't spin backwards for anybody.

I trust the Steelers will have a better handle on it than any of us. I'll trust they'll make the right move. So if in the end they take Burress over Cotchery I'll admit I was wrong.

we are in agreement i dont think cothgery will or should be our 2 or even 3, i dont even think we will sign burress but im not gonna sit here and say that cothery is a better reciever than burress thats just crazy talk.

zulater
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
we are in agreement i dont think cothgery will or should be our 2 or even 3, i dont even think we will sign burress but im not gonna sit here and say that cothery is a better reciever than burress thats just crazy talk.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CotcJe00.htm

He's 29, and he's been better than you think. Imo a 29 year old Cotchery is better than a 34 year old Burress.

steeldevil
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Why would Cotchery be our #2? He would be our #3 behind Brown and Sanders.

One concern I see about Wallace leaving is Sanders' ability to stay healthy. I imagine if Wallace does leave we would definitely draft a WR at some point in the draft.

It would be great if a team in the like 12-20 range would sign Wallace so we could consider taking Michael Floyd. Not saying we should def do that if that situation occurs, but it would be nice for us to get a pick that high so the FO could look into it.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 11:08 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CotcJe00.htm

He's 29, and he's been better than you think. Imo a 29 year old Cotchery is better than a 34 year old Burress.

based on what? at 34 burress is starting cotchery is not at 29 the jets cut cotchery and signed burress where is the proof that cotchery by nfl standards is a better wide out than burress.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Why would Cotchery be our #2? He would be our #3 behind Brown and Sanders.

One concern I see about Wallace leaving is Sanders' ability to stay healthy. I imagine if Wallace does leave we would definitely draft a WR at some point in the draft.

It would be great if a team in the like 12-20 range would sign Wallace so we could consider taking Michael Floyd. Not saying we should def do that if that situation occurs, but it would be nice for us to get a pick that high so the FO could look into it.

yes cotchery is not a 2 any where in the nfl i dont even think hes a 3 i think sanders is our 3 and we need to get a 2 because we do not have one.

BigNastyDefense
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
All this talk about the Steelers signing Burress is absolutely retarded because there isn't going to be any need to. Wallace isn't going anywhere.

With Wallace here, what would we even do with Burress? He won't go somewhere that he'd be a third string receiver, and that's what he'd end up being in Pittsburgh with Wallace and Brown starting.

Plex doesn't like to be on time for or pay attention in meetings and practice which is part of the reason why the Giants cut him after he served his jail term. They didn't want the headache for a 34 year old receiver who had been out of football and in jail where is training was very limited at best. Then in free agency, he made it clear that he was going to the highest bidder which ended up being the Jets.

Was he good in the red zone last year? I only remember hearing about him once all season, and that was his 3 TD game against San Diego. Otherwise through most of the year, he was a non-factor.

And yes, he made the game winning catch in the Super Bowl against the Patriots. He was also wide open. I remember earlier in that drive he didn't come back for the ball and it was almost picked by Asante Samuel, he wasn't even in a position to just knock it down. He has never been a guy that's used his big frame to fight for the ball. He has never liked going over the middle. I remember a lot of his TD's have come in garbage time with his team either up by a ton or down by a ton. I remember in the 2004 AFC Championship Game with the Steelers in position to get back into the game, he alligator armed it in the endzone and failed to catch a TD pass because he would have to actually make an effort to do so, and there was the chance that GASP! he might get hit! He caught a TD later though, in garbage time when there was little chance of the Steelers coming back and he was basically open for that TD too.

I'd rather use to resign Ward than to sign this prima donna jackass who isn't as good as most people seem to think he is.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Why would Sanders necessarily get the nod over Cotchery? Again, Cotchery caught 82 passes two years in a row for the Jets. He was under-utilized by the Steelers last year, and most of the reason for that was he played behind Ward, who was a sacred cow.

10 TD's may be a stretch, but if he lines up in the slot, it's absolutely perfectly acceptable to expect a minimum of 6-8 TD's out of him. And if Wallace goes, I fully expect him to be the slot receiver. He's the kind of guy that will make tough catches in traffic and work the middle of the field, ala Hines Ward. I EXPECT him to be Ward's replacement next year.

This debate has necessarily and correctly turned into what we should be expecting from Jerricho Cotchery (provided we sign him) and not pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams of Burress coming back to the Steelers. I'm actually a bit mystified that there's even this much sentiment for him to come back...

SteelMember
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM

I basically agree with this, although Ben does like tall receivers. :rolleyes:

I don't think you want him getting into the ears of our young and impressionable corp of wr's.
Going from a mentor in Hines to Plax would be worrisome. I think that's the last thing our team needs.
They just need to learn the Steelers way, not the Plaxico way.

Cotchery, given the opportunity, could have just as much impact without the attitude.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I never really saw Plex utilize his size properly anyway...

zulater
03-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Why would Sanders necessarily get the nod over Cotchery? Again, Cotchery caught 82 passes two years in a row for the Jets. He was under-utilized by the Steelers last year, and most of the reason for that was he played behind Ward, who was a sacred cow.

Health held Sanders back last year. I may be wrong, but I believe, both Ben and the Steelers hierarchy believe Sanders has as much ability as any receiver currently on the roster. I can't prove it today, but when he's in the lineup you can see he and Ben really sync up well. I think he'll have a break out year in 2012 with or without Wallace still on the roster.

btw I do like Cotchery a lot. I'd have no problem with he Brown, and Sanders in any order you want to put them in.

If Wallace comes back I'm not sure if Cotchery will be in the plans?

And I'm ok with that too if Wallace is back.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
All this talk about the Steelers signing Burress is absolutely retarded because there isn't going to be any need to. Wallace isn't going anywhere.

With Wallace here, what would we even do with Burress? He won't go somewhere that he'd be a third string receiver, and that's what he'd end up being in Pittsburgh with Wallace and Brown starting.

Plex doesn't like to be on time for or pay attention in meetings and practice which is part of the reason why the Giants cut him after he served his jail term. They didn't want the headache for a 34 year old receiver who had been out of football and in jail where is training was very limited at best. Then in free agency, he made it clear that he was going to the highest bidder which ended up being the Jets.

Was he good in the red zone last year? I only remember hearing about him once all season, and that was his 3 TD game against San Diego. Otherwise through most of the year, he was a non-factor.

And yes, he made the game winning catch in the Super Bowl against the Patriots. He was also wide open. I remember earlier in that drive he didn't come back for the ball and it was almost picked by Asante Samuel, he wasn't even in a position to just knock it down. He has never been a guy that's used his big frame to fight for the ball. He has never liked going over the middle. I remember a lot of his TD's have come in garbage time with his team either up by a ton or down by a ton. I remember in the 2004 AFC Championship Game with the Steelers in position to get back into the game, he alligator armed it in the endzone and failed to catch a TD pass because he would have to actually make an effort to do so, and there was the chance that GASP! he might get hit! He caught a TD later though, in garbage time when there was little chance of the Steelers coming back and he was basically open for that TD too.

I'd rather use to resign Ward than to sign this prima donna jackass who isn't as good as most people seem to think he is.

Well all burress does is use his big frame to fight for the ball thats why hes so effective the redzone. as far as going over the middle thats not what kind of reciever he is he plays down the field and jump balls. If he cant play why does Ben still talk about him or wanting a target like him? he is 7th all time in yrds recieving for the steelers and he went to the giants where was an elite number 1 and won a superbowl. A first round talent A superbowl champ and a very productive career I cannot understand the attacks on this guys talent or production it makes no sense.

SteelMember
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM

How many years was Ward the 2 or 3? How many of those years did he only get about 6tds, or less per season?

Having an impact on a team goes a little further than simple fantasy stats.

BigNastyDefense
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
My favorite Burress as a Steeler memory:

Him spiking a live ball his rookie season because he fell down and thought that he was down due to falling like in college. I remember screaming "It's a live ball you FUCKING IDIOT!"

suitanim
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
"Plexispike"

I will never forget it.

As for Sanders, I was high on him from the start. I remember Arians saying he was the most polished route-running college WR he'd EVER seen. It's not as much a knock on him as it is praise for Cotchery when I talk in terms of Sanders being perhaps a #3.

I really see (and this is post-Wallace, presuming we do lose him, which we of course may not) Brown and Sanders lined up wide and Cotchery in the slot. Although Sanders and Cotchery could swap. When we are running less than 3-wide, Id leave JC on the field because he's a much bigger body for blocking than Sanders.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
How many years was Ward the 2 or 3? How many of those years did he only get about 6tds, or less per season?

Having an impact on a team goes a little further than simple fantasy stats. now cotchery is in a league with hines ward?? Im not sure how cotchery gets the credit that hes getting for really a mediocre career at best. Hines ward is one of the best slot recievers ever to play this game and cotchery doesnt belong in the conversation with him.

BigNastyDefense
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Well all burress does is use his big frame to fight for the ball thats why hes so effective the redzone. as far as going over the middle thats not what kind of reciever he is he plays down the field and jump balls. If he cant play why does Ben still talk about him or wanting a target like him? he is 7th all time in yrds recieving for the steelers and he went to the giants where was an elite number 1 and won a superbowl. A first round talent A superbowl champ and a very productive career I cannot understand the attacks on this guys talent or production it makes no sense.

I have never watched Burress actually fight for a football in the NFL. He can jump, he's good at that. But if he's legitimately challenged for the ball, he doesn't fight for it and he doesn't try to knock it down either. That's what I have seen of him. There's a reason people started calling him Plexiglass.

And what did his 8 TD's and 600 yards do for the Jets last year? Not a fucking thing, they didn't even make the playoffs. With the Steelers in his first playoff game he caught 6 passes for 100 yards and 1 TD...after than in three playoff games he had 7 catches for 123 yards and 1 TD. That's not showing up. There's a reason why he didn't get that much attention after leaving the Steelers, most felt he was overrated and in the end he had to sign with the Giants, they were the only team even interested in him.

Also, right after that AFC Championship Game loss, he said he wasn't going to come back to the Steelers. He said he didn't want to play with "this bunch of losers," and called the fans racist saying they never embraced him because he was black. But somehow it's become spun by people that the Steelers didn't want him back but he didn't want to leave...after the comments he made that night, why would they want him back?

So yes, fuck Plaxico Burress. I don't want to ever see him in a Steelers uniform again.

SteelMember
03-07-2012, 12:44 PM
now cotchery is in a league with hines ward?? Im not sure how cotchery gets the credit that hes getting for really a mediocre career at best. Hines ward is one of the best slot recievers ever to play this game and cotchery doesnt belong in the conversation with him.

You're the one boasting about 10 td's and how we're going to get them. Please??

suitanim
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Nobody is saying Cotchery is =/> Ward. But he can be a fine replacement. If you toss out the stats for the years he didn't start, Cotchery averaged about 59 catches a year. Ward started every year, many as a #1, and he only averaged 71 catches a year. When you weigh in the other variables, you'll find that Cotchery is an underrated asset.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
You're the one boasting about 10 td's and how we're going to get them. Please??
No Suitanim said he expected 80 catches and 10 tds from cotchery out of the number 2 position, and i said that was crazy because cotchery has never caught more than 6 in his career which he only did once. Not to to mention cotchery is never playing the number 2.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
No Suitanim said he expected 80 catches and 10 tds from cotchery out of the number 2 position, and i said that was crazy because cotchery has never caught more than 6 in his career which he only did once. Not to to mention cotchery is never playing the number 2.

If Wallace doesn't come back, and Cotchery is signed, he'll be competing for the #2. If he's a #3, he's one injury (and Sanders has had plenty) from being a #2. Cotchery has been under-utilized so far...if he's given looks in a true passing offense, he will be a valuable weapon.

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 01:08 PM
If Wallace doesn't come back, and Cotchery is signed, he'll be competing for the #2. If he's a #3, he's one injury (and Sanders has had plenty) from being a #2. Cotchery has been under-utilized so far...if he's given looks in a true passing offense, he will be a valuable weapon.

Im sure defenses across the league will be shaking in their boots when we pull out our under utilized secret weapon jerricho cotchery. cotchery is a 4 at best and the fact we are talking about him playing number 2 is insane.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Im sure defenses across the league will be shaking in their boots when we pull out our under utilized secret weapon jerricho cotchery. cotchery is a 4 at best and the fact we are talking about him playing number 2 is insane.

I disagree, and, quite frankly, I'm tired of arguing with people on this board. Every single poster is a master of football knowledge, and it gets to be too much after awhile.

#4's do NOT catch 82 passes a year on running football teams.

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Burress was overrated by so many fans when he was with the Steelers. He displayed average hands(on a good day); gave up on passes; showed a poor attitude and was horrible in the red zone. Burress' fundamentals as a WR were poor to average at best. He failed to use his height/size to his advantage. Rarely did he extend his arms to catch the ball at it's highest point. He did a poor job of using his body to shield defenders when attempting to catch a pass. Did he ever really jump higher than 12 inches?

Now fans want an older, slower version of Burress?

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Every single poster is a master of football knowledge, and it gets to be too much after awhile.

He is giving his opinion. From reading your posts over the years I would says it's you who thinks he is a master of football knowledge. When anyone disagrees with your posts you become very hostile/belligerent and start in with the verbal assaults on their intelligence etc... It's just a MB. I am glad that Steelers' fans have different takes on topics. This MB would be extremely bland and pointless if we all agreed with each other.

The opinions on Cotchery are pretty much credible on both sides of the argument. Personally, I would want Cotchery over Burress

steeldawg
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Burress was overrated by so many fans when he was with the Steelers. He displayed average hands(on a good day); gave up on passes; showed a poor attitude and was horrible in the red zone. Burress' fundamentals as a WR were poor to average at best. He failed to use his height/size to his advantage. Rarely did he extend his arms to catch the ball at it's highest point. He did a poor job of using his body to shield defenders when attempting to catch a pass. Did he ever really jump higher than 12 inches?

Now fans want an older, slower version of Burress? 7th all time recieving yards for the steelers when he was there, so either he does fight for the ball or there where alot of perfectly thrown balls.

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I don't think Burress will be a Steeler. I just think the way he left, and the fact he is older and we are going for youth and speed in the receiving corp all show me that he doesn't fit. And it won't matter if Ben likes or want him, it was proven that Ben doesn't get what he wants when we replaced the OC this off season.

Again, I don't see the Steelers doing this. There is more talent out on the open market and we just cut a player we loved because of lack of production and for the youth movement as well as for financial reasons. Plaxico doesn't fall under any of those criteria.

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
7th all time recieving yards for the steelers when he was there, so either he does fight for the ball or there where alot of perfectly thrown balls.

That doesn't mean he fights for the ball when it's a lob. How many balls did Rice fight for?

7th all-time doesn't mean anything. Isn't Kordell like 3rd for passing? Burress was not a good WR in the red zone when he was here. He was generally outmaneuvered by smaller DBs

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
My favorite Burress as a Steeler memory:

Him spiking a live ball his rookie season because he fell down and thought that he was down due to falling like in college. I remember screaming "It's a live ball you FUCKING IDIOT!"

He actually did that twice

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Well all burress does is use his big frame to fight for the ball thats why hes so effective the redzone.

You must be talking about another Burress. Burress was very poor when it came to fighting for lobs. Are you sure you remember Burress when he played here?

steeldevil
03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
"Plexispike"

I will never forget it.

As for Sanders, I was high on him from the start. I remember Arians saying he was the most polished route-running college WR he'd EVER seen. It's not as much a knock on him as it is praise for Cotchery when I talk in terms of Sanders being perhaps a #3.

I really see (and this is post-Wallace, presuming we do lose him, which we of course may not) Brown and Sanders lined up wide and Cotchery in the slot. Although Sanders and Cotchery could swap. When we are running less than 3-wide, Id leave JC on the field because he's a much bigger body for blocking than Sanders.

I agree with this.

Cotchery will likely be the slot guy, often referred to as the #3, when we have 3 WRs on the field. There will probably be packages where he will be on the field with only 2 WRs though for his assumed better blocking than Sanders and Brown. I say assumed because I don't really know about his blocking, but he is bigger than the others.

Of course this is assuming Wallace leaves and we dont draft a guy high that can play right away.

Steeldude
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
called the fans racist saying they never embraced him because he was black

As we all know, his absurd claim is destroyed by the fact most of the Steelers' players are black and are very much embraced by the fans.

BigNastyDefense
03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
7th all time recieving yards for the steelers when he was there, so either he does fight for the ball or there where alot of perfectly thrown balls.

You do realize that the three greatest Steelers receivers are Hines Ward, John Stallworth, and Lynn Swann. Yes, two are in the HoF and one likely will be after his career ends. But for most of their existence, they have been a run first team. Outside of them, Steelers receivers really haven't been stars. If you play for them long enough, you'll get yourself high up in their records for receiving yards and stuff....just like Ben is going to pass Bradshaw this season for career passing yards by a Steelers QB, the team has been for most of their existence a running team.

Kordell Stewart is 3rd all time in passing yards as a Steeler QB, but nobody is going to say that he was great...he had great moments and some great games...but most people don't look on his time as Steelers QB as success.

The guy that's right above Burress at #6 is Buddy Dial....who? In fewer games with fewer receptions he has more yards, touchdowns, and a better yards per game average than Burress did.

Here are Burress' stats from his time with the Steelers:

2000-2005 (5 years)
71 games, 261 receptions, 4164 yards, 22 TD, 58.6 yards per game average

That's an avergage of less than 5 toucdowns a season. So much for so great in the red zone.

Also, when Burress was here he had speed. He didn't so much have moved, but he ran past guys and caught a lot of deep balls. He didn't have to go up and fight for jump balls. He wasn't Randy Moss or Terrell Owens who could go up and get that football when covered or even double covered.

Burress also gave up on a lot of plays and half assed it when he was in Pittsburgh.

So why would we want the older and slower version? Stats aren't everything, I don't think he would be an upgrade at all. If we couldn't afford to give $1M to Hines Ward who is a beloved Steeler, why would we want to give more to a guy who wouldn't be better than a third stringer when the Steelers keep Wallace?

In the end, just like last season, he's going to go to the highest bidder. Plax has no loyalty. He has a ring and now all he cares about is getting paid. If the Browns were to offer him the most money, he'd sign with them.

suitanim
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Plexispike ran like a 4.55.

I think Cotchery runs a 4.55.

They are about the same, either way, and Burress is 5 years older, so if anyone lost a step, it's him.

Beyond that, Jerry Rice was considered slow, and he turned out pretty okay, so....speed is overrated. getting separation and getting open and CATCHING THE BALL are what count.

Hindes204
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
fuck that guy

After reading through 4 pages of Plax talk, I refer back to this original statement.

ShutDown24
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
After reading through 4 pages of Plax talk, I refer back to this original statement.

Haha. That gave me a good laugh.

SteelerEmpire
03-07-2012, 06:00 PM
He is the guy that killed the Brady bunch's perfect 19-0 season in dramatic fashion- and a former Steeler. If he did come back, that would be my rationale for welcoming him.

ALLD
03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
We bring back Sweed b4 we bring back Plax.

SteelGhost
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
With The Young Money Family, it makes no sense at all to bring back Plexi IMHO

GBMelBlount
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Plexispike ran like a 4.55.

I think Cotchery runs a 4.55.

They are about the same, either way, and Burress is 5 years older, so if anyone lost a step, it's him.

Beyond that, Jerry Rice was considered slow, and he turned out pretty okay, so....speed is overrated.

getting separation and getting open and CATCHING THE BALL are what count.

Agreed. Straight speed is overrated but game speed isn't.

Antonio Brown is a great example.

Regardless, IF we lost Hines & Wallace I see no reason to not give Buress a look.

Let the Steelers make the decision on whether he can contribute and the price is right...assuming they feel he is not going to be a detriment to the locker room.

tube517
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM

:lol:

Shoes
03-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Let's see....Burress is coming back, Wallace is leaving, Ben's over the hill, Hines is going to play for the rats, Mendy is getting cut......anyone have any hobbies? :chuckle:

tube517
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Let's see....Burress is coming back, Wallace is leaving, Ben's over the hill, Hines is going to play for the rats, Mendy is getting cut......anyone have any hobbies? :chuckle:

You forgot Haley should be fired, Tomlin's next, The Rooneys meddle way too much, Colbert and Khan screwed up the cap situation, and the boycott of the Steelers has begun.

Shoes
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
You forgot Haley should be fired, Tomlin's next, The Rooneys meddle way too much, Colbert and Khan screwed up the cap situation, and the boycott of the Steelers has begun.

suitanim
03-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Agreed. Straight speed is overrated but game speed isn't.

Antonio Brown is a great example.

Regardless, IF we lost Hines & Wallace I see no reason to not give Buress a look.

Let the Steelers make the decision on whether he can contribute and the price is right...assuming they feel he is not going to be a detriment to the locker room.

This is a move the old Rooney's would NEVER make.

I guess we shall see...