PDA

View Full Version : Post Combine Mock

Texasteel
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
The combine are in the past and I would like to see how they have effected everyones oppinions. It has changed mine some what. That and a few more weeks to think about it.

1. Cordy Glenn, OG. I have bounced around on this pick and alway seem to come back to the same player. I know that OG is a deep crop this year, but I see a bit of a drop off after the 1st 4, and I think that all of them could be gone before we pick in the 2nd round. I have watched Glenn 3 or 4 times, and I don't think I ever saw him forced backward. Add a good showing at the combines, plus having some OT talent and I think this would be a good pick for the Steelers.

2. Alameda Ta'amu, NT. A large man, that has a quick 1st 2 or 3 steps. Will not run anyone down, but clogs up the middle on running plays, and draw a double team. These are the thing that a Steeler NT has to do, and he has done them well in the past.

3. James-Michael Johnson. ILB. Johnson is very good at tackling,( I think he lead the nation at one point), with the ability to cover most RBs working the middle on pass plays. He was in the top 6 in all the combine drills. I know some are going to think of this as a bit of a reach, but I doni't.

4. Nate Potter. OT. I almost went FS Trenton Robinson (love this kid and his long arms), particularly with the talk of Gilbert moving to LT, but I think Potter could be a very good LT with another year and work in the weight room. He just needs a little time, and I think we could give him that time.

5. David Wolfe. DT/DE. I love about everything about this kid. He had a good carrer at Cincinnati and showed more athetic ability at the combines than some thought he had. He seems to be the kind of kid that if the coach asks him to run through a brick wall, he's going to hit the thing as hard as he can. We could still get young, and better at the DE position.

6. Kevin Koger. TE. I really like this kid and don't really know if he will still be on the board here, but he seems to have been flying under the radar, and I hope no one finds him in the next two months. He needs work, but he can catch, and he can block, and I think we could use someone that can do both.

7. Austin Davis. QB. A pretty smart QB that has thrown for a ton of yard, a bunch of TD, and has a completion % over 61. He may be a little shorter than most of us would like ( 6'2"), and don't not posess a consistant long ball arm, but he is accurate and can move a team 1st down to 1st down. He is not a run 1st QB, but is well able to run well enough to get himself out of trouble, and take off for plus yardage if the WR are not open.

( Davis is the one player on this list that I have not seen play, and this pick may change as I watch tape on him. I'm making this pick from what I have read about him and what others have said.)

suitanim
03-05-2012, 12:02 PM
While I'm not completely familiar with all these players, this draft would certainly seem to fill all our needs. I know there are some corollary discussions about this elsewhere, but why have people soured on Chan Harnish? I've seen him play 2-3 times in person, and a few more on TV, and the kid can definitely play. He's nifty and can move around, and played more under center than most college QB's do nowadays.

SteelMember
03-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Nice work, Tex.

I'm glad to see the Nevada boy get some love.
I think he can be a very good ILB in a 3-4. He is a bit smaller, but a good tackler, and his footwork and body control make him a nice cover LBer.

I saw him as a 4th... pre-combine, so I don't think the 3rd would be too much of a reach. His combine numbers will naturally elevate him.

Texasteel
03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I don't think it is so much souring on Harnish, but a matter of choice. Harnish , in my mind, is much like Davis, just possibly a bit better, but Harnish will most likely be gone in the 5 or early 6th round. Witt is the QB that I have competing with Davis at this point and Witt is a player I have seen play a couple of times. The reason I went with Davis is because of his running ability, and I thought that gave him the edge. Hell bud, I may flip flop between the two of them several times before draft day.

If Harnish is on the board in the 7th round I would be more than a little surprised, I would take him, but I would be surprised.

Texasteel
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice work, Tex.

I'm glad to see the Nevada boy get some love.
I think he can be a very good ILB in a 3-4. He is a bit smaller, but a good tackler, and his footwork and body control make him a nice cover LBer.

I saw him as a 4th... pre-combine, so I don't think the 3rd would be too much of a reach. His combine numbers will naturally elevate him.

Thank buddy. That was my thinking on Johnson as well, that is why I pulled the trigger in the third. We might be able to move back a few places and still get him but at this point I really don't what to loose him.

SteelMember
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I am coming around a bit on Glenn, but I still believe he is too long to play inside and not quite gifted enough to play the Left. I just don't know if I would go that high on what I see as a RT. He definitely has the pulling ability we desire for a Guard though. That's one of the few things keeping my interest.

I'd almost rather have Konz and play him at Guard... backing up center.

Chidi29
03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Like it Tex. Nice job.

Not to be that guy...but I am. It's Derek Wolfe, not David.

ShutDown24
03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Love it Tex. Addresses needs with players that I like.

Texasteel
03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Like it Tex. Nice job.

Not to be that guy...but I am. It's Derek Wolfe, not David.

Hell partner, I'm lucky I got the last name right.

7willBheaven
03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Not too bad...I dont think I'd complain much if that was their actual draft. I'm kinda split on Glenn...he's just so massive...he seems more like a T than a G...but if he can play LG and play it well...then sure. Rounds 3-4 is the earliest I think an ILB should be taken...using a 1st rd pick on one...wow...the HUGE money the Steelers will have in the LB position. I remember at one point early in the season or something Potter was said to be a 1st rounder. I'd take him in the 4th and hope he develops into something. Wolfe...I've recently been looking into him...some have him as high as a 2nd but as low as a 6th...really hard to tell where he could go. But with Smith gone...it opens a spot for a rookie or one of the 2 guys already on the team Woods or Bryant. The TE and QB I dont know much about but I will look into them...but as long as they're decent players sign me up. The only thing missing as you touched on with one of the picks is a Safety somewhere in there would be nice.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 07:09 AM
1. Cordy Glenn, OG/OT, Georgia
Glenn looks like a Steeler to me. And if he falls to 24 I think he'll become one. I don't see how Pittsburgh could pass on him. I am a little worried San Diego will snag him at 18. I was watching Georgia last night evaluating Orson Charles' strengths and weaknesses as a blocker and I kept finding myself watching Glenn. As Tex pointed out, he rarely loses ground.

2. Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama
I feel like many people don't see Chapman as a second round value. I do, and I can't see myself backing down from that before the draft. The guy has "pro bowler" written all over him to me. I would be very pleased if the Steelers selected him in the second round. As far as play goes he really does look like a young Casey Hampton clone. And I'm not just saying that to sell him to Steelers fans.

3. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
I'm not sure if Silatolu will be here. But I'm really hoping. Guards tend to get pushed down past their value, so there is a chance. Pairing Glenn and Silatolu could bolster the offensive line beyond measure.

4. Omar Bolden, DB, Arizona State
Bolden is rising, but not as fast as I predicted - thankfully. This guy is one of the most talented and athletic defensive backs available in the draft. Injuries are a concern with him, but in round four he could be the absolute steal of the entire draft. I love this guy. He's the total package and a great leader.

5. Tank Carder, LB, Texas Christian
Carder would need to put on a little wieght in my opinion, but he can play. I think he is a good value in the fifth round, but he might be available in the sixth - so taking him here is an investment. But I think general consensus is way too low on him anyway, so I'd have no issue with it whatsoever.

6. Najee Good, LB, West Virginia
Good has the size and athleticism to be a potential starter in the 34. And I like what I see from him in interviews. I think he'd be a good fit on the roster and would be a guy who could compete with Carder.

7. Patrick Witt, QB, Yale
I think Witt has the potential to start games. He seems pretty league-ready right now. But he also has enough tools that he isn't going to hit his ceiling right away. I would love to see him in the black and gold.

SteelMember
03-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I was watching Georgia last night evaluating Orson Charles' strengths and weaknesses as a blocker

That guy is still living on the hype from HS. He didn't really become the pass threat that he was supposed to be at Georgia... A La Ben Watson. His blocking isn't that good, and he has dropped way too many balls for my liking. Personally, I wouldn't put him any higher than a 3rd rounder. And that would be strictly based on raw athletic ability.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's easy to see why you noticed Glenn because Charles has under performed and becomes invisible, imo.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
That guy is still living on the hype from HS. He didn't really become the pass threat that he was supposed to be at Georgia... A La Ben Watson. His blocking isn't that good, and he has dropped way too many balls for my liking. Personally, I wouldn't put him any higher than a 3rd rounder. And that would be strictly based on raw athletic ability.

So I guess what I'm saying is that it's easy to see why you noticed Glenn because Charles has under performed and becomes invisible, imo.

I'm glad you posted this because I've been looking for an excuse to post my thoughts on him haha.

It was the first time I've watched a game specifically to evaluate Charles. I was pretty disappointed. He actually is a better run blocker than I expected; when he finds a man to block, that is. So many times I saw him running around aimlessly after the snap looking for someone to blow up and never finding anyone. The few times he did connect I was really impressed. But those happy feet make it a moot point.

He was very average (if not below) in pass protection. Strong against outside moves but doesn't know what to do when the pass rusher takes it inside. He handled bull rushes OK.

As a pass catcher you can tell he has all the tools. But there are so many tight ends with similar athleticism that never put it together that I don't see how he is worth the risk.

I totally agree with your placement of him. I wouldn't take him until the fourth, personally. But I could buy someone investing a third in him. I currently have him going in the late second round (Denver). I think someone will look at his raw ability and think they can coach him up, as happens so many times. I hope whoever selects him can get his full potential to shine through, but it will be a tough job.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Tex, I really like this draft. Still not sure if Glenn is a good enough knee bender to play inside and get pad level, but adding him to any part of the O line will be an upgrade, even at RT.

Ta'amu is what we need to take up 2 gaps. I can only hope that if Hightower is gone in the 1st that we get Johnson in the 3rd. Everybody is hyping up Mychael Kendricks, the workout warrior, but I think Johnson is stronger against the run than Kendricks and showed well at the Senior Bowl.

James-Michael Johnson, Nevada: Johnson turned in a complete workout today and was effective on all fronts. He started with 40 times in the mid 4.6-second range. His marks of 37 inches in the vertical jump and 10-feet, 4-inches in the broad jump were also impressive. During drills Johnson looked every bit as athletic as his testing numbers indicate and moved swiftly across the field. He appears to be a complete linebacker who can defend the run or pass in the NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/27/combine-linebackers/index.html#ixzz1oMFPavYe

Texasteel
03-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Gonzo, I have a feeling that you and I and about 3 others are going to get to relive 2009 again. Remember how a few of us wanted Alex Mack only to watch him move out of our range, but that was OK because we had Eric Wood waiting in the wings who was moving up into the 1st round area. Well damned if Wood didn't move right past us as well. This year I think the same thing may happen, don't look now but Glenn could possibly be gone before we pick, and Zeitler has been moving up and could on the edge of the 1st round already. I could see him move into the 1st round before it is all over, but this time we are in a much better position. I wouldn't mind moving down 4 or 5 spots if we can, and taking Zeitler.

I also agree about Kendrichs, I think he is over valued right now, but I hope no one else figures that out.

ShutDown24
03-08-2012, 12:33 AM
don't look now but Glenn could possibly be gone before we pick, and Zeitler has been moving up and could on the edge of the 1st round already.

I agree with these trends.

Glenn seems to be in demand and could very well go ahead of where we are. I think if he makes it past San Diego and Chicago we have a shot. Tennessee and Detroit could use him too though, so maybe not.

I really think Zeitler going in the first is a little bit of a reach. But if we moved down as you have suggested I don't know that I'd mind. Taking him at 28 is bearable.

It's going to be interesting. I think the first round will be ripe with shocking selections this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I agree with these trends.

Glenn seems to be in demand and could very well go ahead of where we are. I think if he makes it past San Diego and Chicago we have a shot. Tennessee and Detroit could use him too though, so maybe not.

I really think Zeitler going in the first is a little bit of a reach. But if we moved down as you have suggested I don't know that I'd mind. Taking him at 28 is bearable.

It's going to be interesting. I think the first round will be ripe with shocking selections this year.

I agree. I am starting to think that Hightower might be the BAA when we pick. Then we may have to wait for the 2nd to see if Osemele is there at our pick. If not, I would not be surprised to see the Steelers go with a NT like Chapman or Ta'amu if either is there.

There is a good likelyhood that the Steelers again may not draft an O lineman until round 3 and 4.

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 01:56 AM
I agree. I am starting to think that Hightower might be the BAA when we pick. Then we may have to wait for the 2nd to see if Osemele is there at our pick. If not, I would not be surprised to see the Steelers go with a NT like Chapman or Ta'amu if either is there.

There is a good likelyhood that the Steelers again may not draft an O lineman until round 3 and 4.

Yeah, I can see it playing out like this. As long as we acquire some mix of LB/DL/OL throughout the first four rounds I think it should be a strong draft. I think we definitely need to target those areas, but I wouldn't get too hung up on when each position is selected. Take BPA on a round to round basis to address the needs. Whether it's Glenn/Chapman/Acho, Hightower/Ta'amu/Washington or Worthy/Wagner/Martin (as examples) I think we end up with a good core in any instance. Lots of players in this class that I like.

Texasteel
03-09-2012, 04:04 AM
I saw part of Hightowers pro day workout, and he looks to be everything I thought he was. If he turns out to be our 1st pick I can't say that I would be at all dissappointed. You never do know for sure, but he doesn't look to have have any real weaknesses to his game. With the opening at ILB there is a good chance he would be start for us almost from day one. I think that Hightower, Ta'ama, Washington would be a very good start to the draft, and 3 players that could start for us at some point next year.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2012, 04:11 AM
I saw part of Hightowers pro day workout, and he looks to be everything I thought he was. If he turns out to be our 1st pick I can't say that I would be at all dissappointed. You never do know for sure, but he doesn't look to have have any real weaknesses to his game. With the opening at ILB there is a good chance he would be start for us almost from day one. I think that Hightower, Ta'ama, Washington would be a very good start to the draft, and 3 players that could start for us at some point next year.

I wouldn't be at all disappointed with these two guys. I was reall high on Vontaze Burfict but after what he showed at the combine I am not so sure about him. I have to agree that Hightower would be a better fit for us.

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 04:24 AM

Good to know.

I wouldn't be disappointed with those three at all. Where we are selecting, they would all be pretty good values.

suitanim
03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
What about Hightower's football IQ? LeBeau's D is about as complicated as they get and as we saw when Gay was satrting two years ago, when one player needs to be protected, or can't handle all the responsabilities of the position and people need to prop him up, the whole defense suffers.

I only ask because I'm coming around to the idea of ILB in one if he's there. Yes, we need OG and NT, but the BPA is still the BPA and that has worked for us for years...

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 05:48 AM
What about Hightower's football IQ? LeBeau's D is about as complicated as they get and as we saw when Gay was satrting two years ago, when one player needs to be protected, or can't handle all the responsabilities of the position and people need to prop him up, the whole defense suffers.

I only ask because I'm coming around to the idea of ILB in one if he's there. Yes, we need OG and NT, but the BPA is still the BPA and that has worked for us for years...

This is a very good question. I have only looked at Hightower on the field to this point. I will try and dig into his character and mental strengths when I get home from work. I'll get back to you with my opinion. Hopefully others will weigh in on this matter in the mean time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM

I saw Mayock talking to Saban about him on NFLN and he said he has a high IQ, makes all the calls, lines guys up and diagnoses plays well.

Could Hightower's lower athletic ceiling but high football IQ be a good combination for the Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) with the No. 24 overall pick? http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/27/2827564/2012-nfl-scouting-combine-hightower-interviewed-with-steelers

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 09:34 AM

I watched Hightower's combine drills over again and he did look stiff in his backpedal. Not very fluid and the change of direction from backward to forward wasnt the best. Conversely, James Michael Johnson and Mychal Kendricks were right after his reps and they looked like much better athletes in that regard.

I think Hightower is a 2 down LB. A guy that does better running downhill to the ball and making plays. Kind of Earl Holmes coverage skills, but going forward to the RB or QB he is terrific. He's a big kid and I think a good fit in the 3-4. Timmons would be the 3rd down LB.

st33lersguy
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Has Hightower's stock been rising past Pittsburgh's range? I hope not because I think he would be the only ILB/NT/G that would not be a reach at pick 24 with the way Glenn's stock is rising

Steeltreal
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Is there a sleeper DT that could go. 24? Clemson ..

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Watched some interviews and did some research. Loved the kid. Very smart, articulates his thoughts well and seems to have good character.

Has anyone noticed how much this dude looks like James Harrison? :noidea:

suitanim
03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Watched some interviews and did some research. Loved the kid. Very smart, articulates his thoughts well and seems to have good character.

Has anyone noticed how much this dude looks like James Harrison? :noidea:

Alabama's defense is one of the more complex in college ball. If he's playing defensive QB and calling plays and such, that's a good sign.

I think what it comes down to now is who (if anyone) we pick up in FA to plug holes.

ShutDown24
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Alabama's defense is one of the more complex in college ball. If he's playing defensive QB and calling plays and such, that's a good sign.

I think what it comes down to now is who (if anyone) we pick up in FA to plug holes.

I'd really like to see the Steelers sign DeAndre Levy to fill the need at linebacker then kill other needs in the draft. But I highly doubt they'll even look at him. I think he is too high profile.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 11:20 PM

One interesting thought I had was that Aubrayo Franklin is a FA. Could maybe be a solution at NT that is cheaper than Hampton.

Talk of Jarod Gaither is that the Chargers are trying to do a long term deal with him. Not sure if we do anything but troll for cheap talent in free agency this year.

ShutDown24
03-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Franklin is interesting. I hadn't realized he was only on a one year deal with New Orleans. He's a player who would be a great fit. I love Casey, but if Franklin is cheaper than Hampton I might pursue him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Franklin is interesting. I hadn't realized he was only on a one year deal with New Orleans. He's a player who would be a great fit. I love Casey, but if Franklin is cheaper than Hampton I might pursue him.

Yeah, also some guys at LB that might not be too expensive like Curtis Lofton, Philip Wheeler, EJ Henderson and Steven Tulloch.

Steeltreal
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, also some guys at LB that might not be too expensive like Curtis Lofton, Philip Wheeler, EJ Henderson and Steven Tulloch.

49ers reportedly placed an original, seventh-round tender on restricted free agent ILB Larry Grant.
The original-round tender comes with a salary of approximately $1.26 million. The other option was a second-round tender at $1.92 million. In saving $700,000, the Niners stand a good chance to lose Grant for the price of just a seventh-round pick. He more than held his own as a fill-in for Patrick Willis in December

Originally drafted by SF. Cut, picked up by St Louis, Cut , signed by SF. Sounds a little like Harrsion

ShutDown24
03-10-2012, 10:31 AM

I agree with Wheeler and Henderson, but you think Lofton and Tulloch will be affordable? I think I have to disagree there. Detroit wants Tulloch back badly and are working on freeing up money for a deal with him from my understanding. And Lofton is a stud young player. That said, I would love to see either of those guys on the Steelers.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
I agree with Wheeler and Henderson, but you think Lofton and Tulloch will be affordable? I think I have to disagree there. Detroit wants Tulloch back badly and are working on freeing up money for a deal with him from my understanding. And Lofton is a stud young player. That said, I would love to see either of those guys on the Steelers.

None of these guys are upper echelon LB's, but I agree that young guys like Lofton, Tulloch might draw a high price. I'd be OK if we got Henderson, then drafted James Michael Johnson(who I think is like a young Curtis Lofton type athlete) and then we are set at ILB for a few years.

ShutDown24
03-10-2012, 12:24 PM
None of these guys are upper echelon LB's, but I agree that young guys like Lofton, Tulloch might draw a high price. I'd be OK if we got Henderson, then drafted James Michael Johnson(who I think is like a young Curtis Lofton type athlete) and then we are set at ILB for a few years.

That sounds like a good scenario to me if it makes sense financially. I actually wouldn't be opposed to just working James-Michael Johnson in with Larry Foote to begin the season and hoping he can transition into the full time starter by the latter half. But I've always been a fan of Henderson, too.