PDA

View Full Version : Greatest individual game in Steelers history.

zulater
03-04-2012, 11:56 AM
This weekend marks the 50'th anniversary of Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game. Many have made the case that's the greatest single game performance in American sports history. I tend to agree.

But it also got me thinking, and I wondered what would be the greatest single game ever put forth by a Steeler? And funny enough the two first names that popped into my mind were both from defensive performers.

My best ever Steeler game would have to be Mean Joe Greene's 5 sack, one forced fumble effort against the Oilers in 1972. I was only 12 at the time, but I can still remember Mean Joe dominating and smothering virtually every Oilers play that day.

Next would be Rod Woodson's 2 interception for touchdown game against the Saints in 94. He took over that game in the first quarter, and the Saints never recovered.

Oddly enough my most dominating offensive performance by a Steeler comes from the nondescript Merrill Hoge, and in a loss no less. The game of course would be the 1989 playoff loss to the Broncos in which Merril ran for 120 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries, and caught 8 passes for an additional 60 yards. The Steelers lost at Denver to the Super Bowl bound Broncos 24-23. But Merrill certainly did his part.

I've given you some of mine, now give me yours.

XxKnightxX
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Bens Performance against the Packers in 09.

polamalubeast
03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
In the last 5 years

Ben vs Packers in 2009
Santonio/Ben in super bowl XLIII
Ben vs Ravens in 2007
Harrison vs ravens in 2007
Willie Parker vs saints in 2006
The entire defense vs Titans in 2010

BlastFurnace
03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Kordell Stewart's game in Baltimore in 1997

tube517
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Off the top of my head:

Bradshaw's 4 TD/(first) 300 yd game in SB XIII
Swann in SB X
Stallworth in SB XIV
Franco vs Cowboys/77 reg season game
Hoge vs Denver/89 playoffs
Ben's 500 yards vs Packers/09 season
FWP's 200+ yards vs Saints/06 season
Sandoobio in SB XLIII

SteelerEmpire
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
SB IX. The Steelers 1st Championship / Super Bowl, whatever, against the Minnesota Vikings. It marked the beginning of the turning point for the entire franchise and ended DECADES of being the leagues floor mat. The beginning of "Steeler Nation" as we know it was born on this game.

fansince'76
03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
James Harrison, MNF game against the Ravens in '07. 3.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 forced fumbles. What a beast.

Michael
03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
" My best ever Steeler game would have to be Mean Joe Greene's 5 sack, one forced fumble effort against the Oilers in 1972. I was only 12 at the time, but I can still remember Mean Joe dominating and smothering virtually every Oilers play that day. "

I agree totally with this choice. It was an unbelievable performance of how one inspired physically dominant player couold take over a footbll gane. I could not believe what I was seeing. It was much more amazing that Chambelain's 100 points IMO>

SMR
03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
SB IX. The Steelers 1st Championship / Super Bowl, whatever, against the Minnesota Vikings. It marked the beginning of the turning point for the entire franchise and ended DECADES of being the leagues floor mat. The beginning of "Steeler Nation" as we know it was born on this game.

Um...nice but the thread is about greatest INDIVIDUAL game in Steelers history!

ALLD
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Not to mention when Lambert sent Cliff Harris to the turf in SB X, which was the turning point of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4swpTYFzo_8

polamalubeast
03-04-2012, 03:39 PM
best play in sports history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMDIcsUMmA

86WARD
03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
2002 game against Atlanta. Plaxico Burress had over 250 yards receiving and 2 Tds. One being 50 or 60 yards...

polamalubeast
03-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Tommy Maddox vs Browns in 2002 Playoffs

polamalubeast
03-04-2012, 03:50 PM
2002 game against Atlanta. Plaxico Burress had over 250 yards receiving and 2 Tds. One being 50 or 60 yards...

but one yard short!

Chidi29
03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Greene would probably be my pick. Didn't Greene directly or indirectly result in all of the Steelers' points?

I'll also be part biased here and throw in Jack Butler's 4 INT game in 1953. Returned one for a TD that gave us the lead and the win, and the 4 INT still ties an NFL record for a game.

st33lersguy
03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Big Ben's 500 yard passing game against a Packers defense that finished 2nd in total defense and 5th in passing defense. That final drive was nothing short of amazingly clutch

steelerdude15
03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Super Bowl XIII

zulater
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM

Yeah, but didn't have the wherewithal to fall into the end zone on the games final play and get the Steelers the win.

zulater
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197711200pit.htm

Franco had a game against the Cowboys in 77 where he absolutely dominated. Have to put that way up there.

Anyone got a standout game for the Bus?

polamalubeast
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197711200pit.htm

Franco had a game against the Cowboys where he absolutely dominated. Have to put that way up there.

Anyone got a standout game for the Bus?

vs Bears in 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Wkg-uBjFc

Godfather
03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Next would be Rod Woodson's 2 interception for touchdown game against the Saints in 94. He took over that game in the first quarter, and the Saints never recovered.

1993. I remember it because it was my freshman year in college.

Back then the Monday Times-Pic did a "Saints and Sinners" feature for each side of the ball. The day after that beatdown, the offense had "Saint" and "Sinners" and the defense just had "Sinners". The Saints never recovered from that beatdown either. They were a contender from 1987-92 and were doing well in 1993 until that game. After that, they were terrible for several years.

st33lersguy
03-04-2012, 09:21 PM
1993. I remember it because it was my freshman year in college.

Back then the Monday Times-Pic did a "Saints and Sinners" feature for each side of the ball. The day after that beatdown, the offense had "Saint" and "Sinners" and the defense just had "Sinners". The Saints never recovered from that beatdown either. They were a contender from 1987-92 and were doing well in 1993 until that game. After that, they were terrible for several years.

Weren't they undefeated and wasn't their offense averaging 30 points a game?

GoSlash27
03-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Mad Jack Lambert, SB X. I still get goosebumps watching the highlights.

SteelerEmpire
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Oh, ok. The greatest game "for an individual" in Steelers history. Wow, soo many possibilities. I have to think about that one...

86WARD
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Yeah, but didn't have the wherewithal to fall into the end zone on the games final play and get the Steelers the win.

Or you could say the defense gave up 17 points at the end of the game to give up the win. :)

NCSteeler
03-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire

How about Dwight White in that game? Had to check himself out from the hospital to play and was still a beast.

Edman
03-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Big Ben's 500 yard passing game against a Packers defense that finished 2nd in total defense and 5th in passing defense. That final drive was nothing short of amazingly clutch

Which is odd because, the fact that Green Bay's Defense was ranked number 2 in the league really illustrates just how porous NFL Defenses were that year. Green Bay had a paper Defense that got carved up many times. I look up the 2009 season and watch some games, and it's utterly ridiculous the statistics put up by offenses around the league. Matt Stafford and Brady freakin' Quinn had a freaking QB DUEL. Of course we all know the points and yardage the bad Raiders and Chiefs put on the Steelers D that year. 2009 was the year where Goodell-Ball took full force.

Not to take anything away from Ben's performance, it was fantastic, but I just wanted to point it out.

Butch
03-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Mine has already been mentioned it was the 75th anniversary game. James Harrison established himself as a household name that monday night. It was one helluva one man show...except Ben also had a helluva game. Ben gave us 5 touchdowns in a single 1/2 of football, one after shrugging off a certain sack by (Bart Scott?). Also in that game Harrison layed out Reed on a kick forcing a fumble and then later in the game Hines knocked Reed out for good with one of his devastating blocks. The fact that it was our 75th anniversary game and came against the rats was only icing on the cake.

Loved the one with Rod as well. Yes the saints were undefeated going into it. Had some saints fans surrounding me that week telling me how they were gonna kick the Steelers butts, even told me they would bring in some used tissues for me to dry my tears. That Monday they came in to roll call late and hiding behind a clip board.

polamalubeast
03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Which is odd because, the fact that Green Bay's Defense was ranked number 2 in the league really illustrates just how porous NFL Defenses were that year. Green Bay had a paper Defense that got carved up many times. I look up the 2009 season and watch some games, and it's utterly ridiculous the statistics put up by offenses around the league. Matt Stafford and Brady freakin' Quinn had a freaking QB DUEL. Of course we all know the points and yardage the bad Raiders and Chiefs put on the Steelers D that year. 2009 was the year where Goodell-Ball took full force.

Not to take anything away from Ben's performance, it was fantastic, but I just wanted to point it out.

True,but between 2007 to 2010, Ben was the only QB to make a game over 500 yards in a game in the nfl!

The WH
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20051211023&prov=ap

Not only Jerome Bettis' career defining game. But This game defined the Steelers for the past 35 years prior. Look at rushing yards and TOP if you doubt it.

Definitive Definitive Definitive.

No better word to describe it.

http://youtu.be/U3Wkg-uBjFc

Dino 6 Rings
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20051211023&prov=ap

Not only Jerome Bettis' career defining game. But This game defined the Steelers for the past 35 years prior. Look at rushing yards and TOP if you doubt it.

Definitive Definitive Definitive.

No better word to describe it.

http://youtu.be/U3Wkg-uBjFc

Modern time, I say this Bettis game against the Bears meets the criteria. Not only did we dominate the Bears that game and not only did Jerome take over that game and destroy Urlacher one on one, but we had just lost 3 in a row and were a questionable playoff team and from that game on, it was all "Must Win" games. This is the same year we ended up the first 6th seed to go on to win the Super Bowl with a 2nd year QB. I have to say, that game, that single game performance by Jerome Bettis was the lighting of the fuse for the entire Franchise to get over the "also ran" status that we had under Cowher and become the Champions people now recognize us as being.

I'm sure there are some "bigger" stats games, but Modern Times, meaning Post Chuck Noll, I put this performance by Jerome Bettis up against any other "Big" performance.

zulater
03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
If Troy Polmalu hadn't been injured at the end of the half in the 2009 season opener against the Titans that may have been one of the greatest games we've ever seen a Steeler play.