PDA

View Full Version : 1st round pick

mortgageman
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM
what are you guys thinking we are going to take and who would you prefer to draft? I wouldnt mind the top guard. Whoever we would draft in the first round at that position should be able to start right away. That would give us an above average offensive line. Something we havent had in a while. It seems that when we draft defensive players, it takes at least one year for them to have an impact. They may turn out to be great, but i'd like a player that could have an instant impact.

7willBheaven
03-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Theres a draft section to the forum with all kinds of draft related talk...and possible picks/etc for the Steelers.

Count Steeler
03-02-2012, 05:14 AM
I'm still leaning ILB. Free agency may change my mind.

suitanim
03-02-2012, 08:11 AM
I know there's a draft section, but there is some corollary stuff we could discuss here, namely free agencies effect on our draft pick.

Two weeks ago, I'd have thought it impossible that the Steelers could even dream about combing through FA for some replacements, but after the blood bath of the last few days, it may be more feasible. I know we don't typically make much of a splash when it comes to shoring up our roster with FA's, but we also don't typically release 4-5-6 starters in the offseason. We have also made some solid quiet pick-ups in the past that have worked out nicely. Farrior was a FA signing from the Jets. Travis Kirschke was a solid value pick-up from the 49ers. Jerricho Cotchery also comes to mind. There were others.

We aren't going to spend 10 million and sign some top-tier guy ala Al Davis, but we may be able to solidify the two-deep at ILB or NT by plugging in a value guy. Here is a list of all the FA's for 2012. It's on the DT page now, but there's a listing of every position at the top of the page:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012DT.php

The Duke
03-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I know there's a draft section, but there is some corollary stuff we could discuss here, namely free agencies effect on our draft pick.

Two weeks ago, I'd have thought it impossible that the Steelers could even dream about combing through FA for some replacements, but after the blood bath of the last few days, it may be more feasible. I know we don't typically make much of a splash when it comes to shoring up our roster with FA's, but we also don't typically release 4-5-6 starters in the offseason. We have also made some solid quiet pick-ups in the past that have worked out nicely. Farrior was a FA signing from the Jets. Travis Kirschke was a solid value pick-up from the 49ers. Jerricho Cotchery also comes to mind. There were others.

We aren't going to spend 10 million and sign some top-tier guy ala Al Davis, but we may be able to solidify the two-deep at ILB or NT by plugging in a value guy. Here is a list of all the FA's for 2012. It's on the DT page now, but there's a listing of every position at the top of the page:

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012DT.php

If we get Dan Connor I wouldn't mind gettind rid of both Foote and Farrior. We probably wouldn't even need Hightower in the first

Connor could be our Farrior signing of the decade if all goes well, it just depends on how much exactly he wants....

BigNastyDefense
03-02-2012, 09:24 AM
If we could sign Dan Conner or Larry Grant (depending on what type of tender the 49ers give their backup inside linebacker) then I don't believe we would need to spend a first or second round pick on an ILB, which would allow us to take both a guard and likely Poe (NT from Memphis). But no matter what happens with Wallace, ILB wouldn't even be a need in the first round so the Steelers could focus on helping out either of the lines.

BlastFurnace
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Inside Linebacker or NT (If Poe is available) in the first round. I hope they don't draft Hightower though.

Eventually, the Steelers need to draft Polamalu's replacement. With as many concussions as he's had, there is no telling when his career will end. The same thing applies to Clark. He's over 30 as well.

7willBheaven
03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
If we could sign Dan Conner or Larry Grant (depending on what type of tender the 49ers give their backup inside linebacker) then I don't believe we would need to spend a first or second round pick on an ILB, which would allow us to take both a guard and likely Poe (NT from Memphis). But no matter what happens with Wallace, ILB wouldn't even be a need in the first round so the Steelers could focus on helping out either of the lines.

This!! I'd love to get Conner or Grant...though with being an RFA it would be harder to get Grant. Either one could step in from day 1 I think and be the starting ILB.

7willBheaven
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Inside Linebacker or NT (If Poe is available) in the first round. I hope they don't draft Hightower though.

Eventually, the Steelers need to draft Polamalu's replacement. With as many concussions as he's had, there is no telling when his career will end. The same thing applies to Clark. He's over 30 as well.

Agree'd on the safeties. But as far as ILB in the first round...if you dont want Hightower who do you want? Luke K. is almost guaranteed to be gone...who else is there?

BlastFurnace
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Agree'd on the safeties. But as far as ILB in the first round...if you dont want Hightower who do you want? Luke K. is almost guaranteed to be gone...who else is there?

I'm not sure. Hightower's past knee injuries and his weight (265) scare me a little. I'm sure if they draft him, that they would have done their homework and he will be fine, but I'm just a little weary on him.

I have my heart set on Poe.

st33lersguy
03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
With Farrior released and Poe likely gone by pick 24 I hope the pick is Hightower

suitanim
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
As things stand now, I'd like to see:

Rd 1- OG
Rd 2- ILB
RD 3- NT/DE

I an unsure about that Guard pick because of our own uncertainty. Both Foster and Legursky are RFA's, so we have our own issues. I was.............dismayed to see Urbik popping up as the 5th highest rated G in this report. We let him go because we had too many guards, and now....

steelerdude15
03-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Love to see a guard taken in the first round and tackle in the second round.

7willBheaven
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Rd 1- OG
Rd 2- ILB
RD 3- NT/DE

I an unsure about that Guard pick because of our own uncertainty. Both Foster and Legursky are RFA's, so we have our own issues. I was.............dismayed to see Urbik popping up as the 5th highest rated G in this report. We let him go because we had too many guards, and now....

What ILB has a second round grade? After Hightower/etc in the first...most of the next available are 3rd rounders...while yes they could still draft one of them...I would see it as a reach.

JayC
03-02-2012, 06:49 PM
at the moment i'm thinking ILB. but it changes each week.

1. ILB
2. OG
3-7. ?

if big snack is released or something that'll change.

The Duke
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
What ILB has a second round grade? After Hightower/etc in the first...most of the next available are 3rd rounders...while yes they could still draft one of them...I would see it as a reach.

true

I'm almost convinced that if we don't pick Hightower we'll already have a replacement ILB like Connor or Rocky McIntosh

GBMelBlount
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I am not sure with the number one defense in the NFL and Harrison, Woodley and Timmons....how critical it is that we get an ILB early as compared to NT and O Line.

If we had three or four all pro caliber offensive linemen would we be talking about an offensive lineman early?

No.

Count Steeler
03-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I am not sure with the number one defense in the NFL and Harrison, Woodley and Timmons....how critical it is that we get an ILB early as compared to NT and O Line.

If we had three or four all pro caliber offensive linemen would we be talking about an offensive lineman early?

No.

It will probably be the best available OL, ILB or NT in the first round. OL seems to be deeper than the other 2 positions this year, so I would guess an ILB or NT would be preferred. That is, unless we pick up someone through FA.

Texasteel
03-03-2012, 06:34 AM
I think the Steelers have already shown that they will go BAP even if it is not a pressing need. It seems that they feel they can fill needs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't think that signing a FA ILB would move them off of Hightower if they rate him as the BAP. Having said that, I think they would not hesitate moving up to get a better player that would fill a need, ala Troy Polamalu.

I have heard that the Steelers did interveiw Hightower at least twice, one of them was a meeting with Butler.

GBMelBlount
03-03-2012, 06:52 AM
I think the Steelers have already shown that they will go BAP even if it is not a pressing need. It seems that they feel they can fill needs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I don't think that signing a FA ILB would move them off of Hightower if they rate him as the BAP.

Having said that, I think they would not hesitate moving up to get a better player that would fill a need, ala Troy Polamalu.

I have heard that the Steelers did interveiw Hightower at least twice, one of them was a meeting with Butler.

While I think it would have to be someone VERY special I can't help but wonder if Poe at NT might be that type of player if still available in the mid first round.

suitanim
03-03-2012, 07:07 AM

Lawrence Timmons was an OLB in college. I'm looking at LB's who can play in our system, not what they played in college. There are a lot of LB's in the 30-90 range.

GBMelBlount
03-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Lawrence Timmons was an OLB in college. I'm looking at LB's who can play in our system, not what they played in college. There are a lot of LB's in the 30-90 range.

Good point.

Texasteel
03-03-2012, 07:31 AM
While I think it would have to be someone VERY special I can't help but wonder if Poe at NT might be that type of player if still available in the mid first round.

I think there could be two players you can watch for. I know I'm going to get some, ON WAYS, but I have been reading that DeCastro may be moving down the 1st round a little. If he or Poe is still on the board at 18, They might be within reach of the Steelers, if they want them if they want them bad enough.

ShutDown24
03-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I think there could be two players you can watch for. I know I'm going to get some, ON WAYS, but I have been reading that DeCastro may be moving down the 1st round a little. If he or Poe is still on the board at 18, They might be within reach of the Steelers, if they want them if they want them bad enough.

I'm very surprised to hear that DeCastro is losing buzz. I haven't seen/heard anything suggesting that his stock is falling. I'll have to take your observations into account on my "mental big board" so to speak. I definitely have an elevated opinion of DeCastro compared to the general consensus (Currently have him in the top 5), but if he slid out of the top 15 selections I'd be shocked - even taking into account that he is a guard.

I've liked Poe since day 1, but to me - he doesn't seem like the type of player the Steelers are going to bet the farm on. I can see them moving up for DeCastro easier than I can see them moving up for Poe. I think the traits he has in the weakness column are the type of weaknesses the Steelers traditionally try to avoid. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see him in B&G though.

Count Steeler
03-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Draft is going to be more important this year. We have a lot of holes to fill. I think Art may try his hand with some FAs as well this year.

ShutDown24
03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Draft is going to be more important this year. We have a lot of holes to fill. I think Art may try his hand with some FAs as well this year.

You might have a good point. Since Art has taken over it seems like we've been more and more active in free agency. While I don't think the franchise will ever be one that builds through the market at all, signing a player like Dan Connor for example (Who this board seems to like a lot) certainly seems like a possibility. Connor hasn't set the league on fire since being drafted, but he's been solid. I never would have imagined the Steelers considering many free agents like even a guy with the name recognition of Connor. I know there have been a few exceptions (James Farrior). But who knows what Art Jr's tendencies will be. Maybe acquiring spot starters or even bigger pieces will become more common as time goes on.

BigNastyDefense
03-03-2012, 11:20 AM
You might have a good point. Since Art has taken over it seems like we've been more and more active in free agency. While I don't think the franchise will ever be one that builds through the market at all, signing a player like Dan Connor for example (Who this board seems to like a lot) certainly seems like a possibility. Connor hasn't set the league on fire since being drafted, but he's been solid. I never would have imagined the Steelers considering many free agents like even a guy with the name recognition of Connor. I know there have been a few exceptions (James Farrior). But who knows what Art Jr's tendencies will be. Maybe acquiring spot starters or even bigger pieces will become more common as time goes on.

While it's true that the Steelers will never be a team that build through free agency/trade, it's a myth that they aren't a team that doesn't fill holes by going that route.

They made a trade to acquire The Bus, but a lot of fans either forget or don't even know that. James Farrior wasn't considered a big time FA and most people weren't all that excited about his signing when the Steelers signed him, but he's probably the best FA signing the Steelers have had in the last decade. Ryan Clark was also a FA signing. Cedrick Wilson was a FA and he played a big role on the 2005 Super Bowl Championship team.

If there is a hole to be filled and they like a FA who isn't going to be a break-the-bank guy...then they will at least make an attempt to sign him. But you'll never see the Steelers handing out Albert Haynesworth type of contracts to FA's that aren't their own...and they will never hand out a contract like that to anyone but a franchise quarterback a la Ben Roethlisberger.

ShutDown24
03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
While it's true that the Steelers will never be a team that build through free agency/trade, it's a myth that they aren't a team that doesn't fill holes by going that route.

They made a trade to acquire The Bus, but a lot of fans either forget or don't even know that. James Farrior wasn't considered a big time FA and most people weren't all that excited about his signing when the Steelers signed him, but he's probably the best FA signing the Steelers have had in the last decade. Ryan Clark was also a FA signing. Cedrick Wilson was a FA and he played a big role on the 2005 Super Bowl Championship team.

If there is a hole to be filled and they like a FA who isn't going to be a break-the-bank guy...then they will at least make an attempt to sign him. But you'll never see the Steelers handing out Albert Haynesworth type of contracts to FA's that aren't their own...and they will never hand out a contract like that to anyone but a franchise quarterback a la Ben Roethlisberger.

Oh for sure. They've always dealt well with free agency, but as you say the team's free agent pickups are never highly publicized and even to an extent rarely endorsed by Steelers fans.

When the team signed Ryan Clark he was thought of as a poor player around the league. Two largely miserable seasons in New York and Washington D.C. could have ended his dreams of being an NFL starter. Thankfully the Steelers have a knack for finding those gems. I believe they brought Will Allen in to be a starter when it looked like Clark was going to leave for Miami a few years ago. Sounds crazy now, but who knows? If Clark leaves maybe Will Allen is a rock solid starter on this team currently.

With all that in mind they have never really signed a 'name' free agent. I still think Farrior was the closest. I don't want that to change, and no - they never will give out an Albert Haynesworth deal. But I could see more signings like Farrior with Art at the helm.

7willBheaven
03-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Ok...so name some players then.

7willBheaven
03-03-2012, 02:34 PM

No.

I'm thinking along these lines too. With Timmons/Wood/Harrison (or eventually Worilds) as LBs...all either high picks and/or big money contracts. And then they pick another 1st rounder at ILB...thats gonna be a TON of money/etc there. Thats why I think if they can get a solid FA...or mid round guy (or even Sylvester) to take that spot...then I wouldnt have a problem as long as they dont flat out suck and are worse than Farrior became, haha.

polamalubeast
03-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Also remember the trade in the 2003 draft, which allowed the Steelers to have Troy Polamalu.

The Steelers had the 27th pick and they made ​​a trade with the chiefs, which allowed to have the 16th choice and Troy Polamalu.

Maybe the best trade in steelers history

O'Malley
03-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Also remember the trade in the 2003 draft, which allowed the Steelers to have Troy Polamalu.

The Steelers had the 27th pick and they made ​​a trade with the chiefs, which allowed to have the 16th choice and Troy Polamalu.

Maybe the best trade in steelers history

This^

suitanim
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Ok...so name some players then.

Christ. People just can't STAND being disagreed with, can they?

No, I'm not even going to bother. You win. There are NO linebackers that will be available in the late first to early third round (NOT reaching, but honestly deserving to be drafted there) that could play inside LB for the Steelers.

Back on topic, though...I forgot about Ryan Clark. Another really solid FA pick-up.

86WARD
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM

Rd 1- OG
Rd 2- ILB
RD 3- NT/DE

I like this. BUt I wouldn't mind seeing them take Mike Adams at OT and move Colon inside and then take an ILB, NT/DE in rounds 2 and 3. Adams and Gilbert and Pouncey would be a nice start to a young, talented and strong O-Line for years to come.

7willBheaven
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM

No, I'm not even going to bother. You win. There are NO linebackers that will be available in the late first to early third round (NOT reaching, but honestly deserving to be drafted there) that could play inside LB for the Steelers.

Back on topic, though...I forgot about Ryan Clark. Another really solid FA pick-up.

Whoa...you need to relax man. Dont get so bent outta shape (which you seem to do a lot)...I was just wanting to know some players who you thought fit the bill....especially since I dont know of any or havent seen any going by the sites I go to...they have it broken down by positions/etc...but most dont have many 2nd/etc round ILBs. So if there is say a 4-3 OLB who can play 3-4 ILB that these sites dont have under ILB...I wanna know about them so I can look into them and learn about them/etc. I'm no draft/college player expert...thats why I asked...because I DO wanna know all possibilities/etc. Jeeez...

Psycho Ward 86
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM

No, no you can't :)

suitanim
03-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Other than clarifying that I wasn't ctually being disagreed with, I'm not going to be baited into any more arguments about this...

ShutDown24
03-05-2012, 06:17 AM

There are a number line backers available in rounds 2-4 of the draft who could play ILB for the Steelers.

I'll name a few since you didn't want to

Vontaze Burfict
Ronnell Lewis (More of a pass rusher but I think he could play inside)
Bobby Wagner
Lavonte David (Maybe, he's a little small)
Emmanuel Acho
Tank Carder

suitanim
03-05-2012, 08:54 AM
There are a number line backers available in rounds 2-4 of the draft who could play ILB for the Steelers.

Vontaze Burfict
Bobby Wagner
Emmanuel Acho
Tank Carder

The main reason I don't post names is that in 99% of the cases, people here are just cribbing info from websites and don't actually have any empirical knowledge of their own. I admittedly don't know enough on it to get too involved, and I'd rather not just re-post cribbed knowledge from other sites, but I DO know that there are a lot of OLB's in mocks and draft rankings in the 30-90ish range, and I also know that 3-4 ILB skills are a lot more compatible with college OLB's skillsets.

Saying that, if we are willing to be patient, there's a kid from Cinci who I think could be very good in a few years. I know he's a bit undersized but he could always add weight. That might play if we pick up a servicable ILB in FA.

IF we are willing to wait one more year, there's a kid who played for Akron who is a legitimate stud, Brian Wagner. He, too, is perhaps a bit undersized, but he was second in tackles in the Country last year with about 150. He started as a frosh, and has had 100+ tackles every year. He transferred to Arizona for his senior year because he was sick of losing at Akron, so he'll have a chance to see how he stacks up against superior competition. I hear all kinds of contradicting size/weight info, from 6'0" 220 to 6'2" 230, but watching him in almost every game for three years, he plays like he's 6'2" 235. He's a super sleeper and someone to keep an eye on for 2013.

BlastFurnace
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
The main reason I don't post names is that in 99% of the cases, people here are just cribbing info from websites and don't actually have any empirical knowledge of their own.

The most knowledgable Steelers fan I know of that would have indepth knowledge of the ILB's would be TMC, who visits here from time to time and who posts at another Steelers board.

suitanim
03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
The most knowledgable Steelers fan I know of that would have indepth knowledge of the ILB's would be TMC, who visits here from time to time and who posts at another Steelers board.

100% agree. Know him from the old SN heyday of the late 90's. That's not to say there aren't a couple very knowledgeable guys here as well, but the vast, vast majority are just Googling stuff. That's why I tend to keep my draft prognostication limited to the players I've watched a lot and the big names that everyone has vetted.

Chidi29
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM

LLT, Tex, Aussie, and El Gonzo are all excellent draftniks, too.

BlastFurnace
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
100% agree. Know him from the old SN heyday of the late 90's. That's not to say there aren't a couple very knowledgeable guys here as well, but the vast, vast majority are just Googling stuff. That's why I tend to keep my draft prognostication limited to the players I've watched a lot and the big names that everyone has vetted.

Are you still posting at SN?

Completely agree about the posters here too. TMC just seems to have access and/or time to do quite a bit of in-depth stuff. I think he publishes his own draft publication that's pretty good.

suitanim
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Are you still posting at SN?

Completely agree about the posters here too. TMC just seems to have access and/or time to do quite a bit of in-depth stuff. I think he publishes his own draft publication that's pretty good.

LOL, no...haven't in years. TMC was always the best capologist, too. I think he's dropped in a couple times here...

Chidi29
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL, no...haven't in years. TMC was always the best capologist, too. I think he's dropped in a couple times here...

Yeah, he'll pop in every once in awhile. Wish he would do so more often.

7willBheaven
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Vontaze Burfict
Bobby Wagner
Emmanuel Acho
Tank Carder

Thanks ShutDown...at least you're not like some people around here who act like jerks and always think someones try to start something with them or they start it themselves...some people need to grow up and not be so defensive anytime someone says something. I dont understand some people...they claim this that and the other but when asked to give some examples for the rest of us they wont do it...makes no sense. Anyways...

I know of Burfict, but I just dont like him haha...and Carder is the other one I know of...I think hes like a 3rd-4th rounder in some cases, but doesnt seem like a bad pick either way. The others I'll have to look into and get some info on them. Thanks again its much appreciated.

ShutDown24
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I know of Burfict, but I just dont like him haha...and Carder is the other one I know of...I think hes like a 3rd-4th rounder in some cases, but doesnt seem like a bad pick either way. The others I'll have to look into and get some info on them. Thanks again its much appreciated.

Yeah, I don't really like Burfict either. Not for the Steelers at least.

I have heard a lot of dissenting opinion on Carder. I think he's worth a mid rounder but some of the people I talk to off this board think he's more of a 6th or 7th.

I really like Lavonte David. I'm not sure he has what you want to be a stout inside backer, and considering Timmons isn't really that run stuffer either I'm not sure he'd be a smart pick. But I really liked what I saw of him when I had the chance to watch him play. He is fast, a solid tackler and truly plays sideline to sideline

I try not to comment on guys I haven't watched more than highlights of. That being said, I know a lot of people like James-Michael Johnson. Texas has him as our third round pick in his latest Steelers mock. But I haven't seen enough of him yet to comment on him really.

Chidi29
03-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks ShutDown...at least you're not like some people around here who act like jerks and always think someones try to start something with them or they start it themselves...some people need to grow up and not be so defensive anytime someone says something. I dont understand some people...they claim this that and the other but when asked to give some examples for the rest of us they wont do it...makes no sense. Anyways...

Burfict is falling like a rock. He's going the Ali Highsmith route.

7willBheaven
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Burfict is falling like a rock. He's going the Ali Highsmith route.

Yup...I think the last projections I saw he was down to round 3-4...and could fall further.

Chidi29
03-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Yup...I think the last projections I saw he was down to round 3-4...and could fall further.

At this point, he'll get drafted in the 6th with some team looking at him as low risk/high reward...at best. I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 01:26 AM
At this point, he'll get drafted in the 6th with some team looking at him as low risk/high reward...at best. I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted.

I would be pretty surprised if that happened. I still tend to think he goes somewhere in the 5th at the very latest despite the hits he has taken recently. He didn't make good on all the things that would have reinforced his potential throughout the draft process, but at the end of the day - what you saw on tape in January is still there. I could very well be wrong but that's how I see it at the moment. He's really an enigma at this point. If someone took him anywhere from rounds 2 - 5 I wouldn't be surprised. Anything below that I have a hard time seeing. He's been a polarizing figure from the start.

suitanim
03-06-2012, 08:33 AM

At least you whined and cried publicly instead of weeping your baby tears to the mods.

ShutDown24
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
The main reason I don't post names is that in 99% of the cases, people here are just cribbing info from websites and don't actually have any empirical knowledge of their own.

I can respect that, but I have to disagree that most people here are just regurgitating. I've seen it a lot on other boards, but I think most of the guys who are regulars in draft conversations here at SU have genuine opinions based off of study and their own personal knowledge. I sure know guys like Tex, LLT, Chidi, El-Gonzo and Aussie know a lot more about evaluation than me; and all of their thoughts seem nothing but original when I read them. That's a big reason I appreciate this forum over others I have been a part of in the past.