PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Released, Breaking Hearts Across Steeler Nation

SteelerEmpire
03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I kind of feel this way. I don't like the way Hines is leaving... at all.

--------------

When news that Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward was released came out, I couldn't help but stare at my phone, gasping and sputtering in utter shock and disbelief. Okay, okay, we knew the day was most likely coming, but come on.

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-baughman/hines-ward-released_b_1314191.html

Bluecoat96
03-02-2012, 06:18 AM
I hated to see him go, but it was time. I think the Rooney's did it in the best way possible.

Butch
03-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I hated to see him go, but it was time. I think the Rooney's did it in the best way possible.

IMHO I disagree. Not only do I think Hines has more to offer and was under utilized last year, I also don't care for the way they forced him out the door. I remember the last time Hines was up for contract renewal and was going to hold out (even did for a few days) then came back and decided to show his faith in the team to get a fair deal done. I would have preferred for them to let him come back and compete for a spot and if he makes the team let him try again next year. I feel that after his contract was up he would have retired even if he felt he could still play. Again those are my opininons only time ill tell if he is picked up by another team and given a chance to prove himself.

Bluecoat96
03-02-2012, 07:07 AM
IMHO I disagree. Not only do I think Hines has more to offer and was under utilized last year, I also don't care for the way they forced him out the door. I remember the last time Hines was up for contract renewal and was going to hold out (even did for a few days) then came back and decided to show his faith in the team to get a fair deal done. I would have preferred for them to let him come back and compete for a spot and if he makes the team let him try again next year. I feel that after his contract was up he would have retired even if he felt he could still play. Again those are my opininons only time ill tell if he is picked up by another team and given a chance to prove himself.

Understandable, but I think the Steelers' cap situation more than likely had something to do with how he was released. There's also no guarantee Hines would have been willing to come back for vet minimum either.

X-Terminator
03-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Listen people, I understand that we're talking about Hines Ward here. But everyone needs to take a deep breath, take a step back and think rationally about this decision. Yeah, if there is one guy who deserved to end his career as a Steeler, it's Hines Ward. But the fact is that his cap hit made it impossible to keep him, and evidently any salary reduction they could have done would not have done much to help. I think we'd all wish there were no salary cap and the Steelers could spend endless amounts of money, but the reality is they can't. I love the Steelers and I love Hines, but I also realize that sports is a business, and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made.

If you all trusted Art II when he stepped in to get rid of Arians, then you have to support him here. Obviously he wants the team to get younger so that there is no repeat of the 1980s when guys were kept around too long. I can understand that. Plus, this was done face-to-face, man-to-man, which is the way I would think most people would want it handled. It would've looked much worse on Art II had Hines found out any other way.

And to all of those people who are going to stop being Steelers fans over this...don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, and don't ever come back.

suitanim
03-02-2012, 07:39 AM
The story is the Steelers wanted him, and encouraged him, to retire. He disagreed. If people will recall, his holdout got a little ugly, and some things were said. When he was on the other end of this, he probably played harder ball than the Rooney's did with him on this decision. I found the FO to be pretty forthright this time. It's a business, and it's always a business, NOT just when the players want something, but also when the owners do, too...

SteelerEmpire
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Listen people, I understand that we're talking about Hines Ward here. But everyone needs to take a deep breath, take a step back and think rationally about this decision. Yeah, if there is one guy who deserved to end his career as a Steeler, it's Hines Ward. But the fact is that his cap hit made it impossible to keep him, and evidently any salary reduction they could have done would not have done much to help. I think we'd all wish there were no salary cap and the Steelers could spend endless amounts of money, but the reality is they can't. I love the Steelers and I love Hines, but I also realize that sports is a business, and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made.

If you all trusted Art II when he stepped in to get rid of Arians, then you have to support him here. Obviously he wants the team to get younger so that there is no repeat of the 1980s when guys were kept around too long. I can understand that. Plus, this was done face-to-face, man-to-man, which is the way I would think most people would want it handled. It would've looked much worse on Art II had Hines found out any other way.

And to all of those people who are going to stop being Steelers fans over this...don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out, and don't ever come back.

Lol. Ran across this this morning:

Boycott the Steelers Until They Offer Hines Ward a Contract (Those darn dangerous, radical Steelers fans ! :D)

LINK: http://www.facebook.com/BoycottTheSteelers

tube517
03-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes, and we all know the Steelers disintegrated after Franco left. It's over. The end is near. The sky is falling. It's 2012 and it's been nice knowing you all. :chuckle:

BlacknGoldBabe
03-02-2012, 06:28 PM

^^^^This - I agree 100%.

Fans can afford to be sentimental. Fact is, football teams also have to be managed like the businesses that they are.

Butch
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Forgive me if I missed something here, but who said anything about stop being a Steeler fan??? If this was meant for me you are grossly mistaken. I was not pleased with the way they handled Hines this past season or the way he was released, if you are fine with it so be it you too are free to express your feelings. I have stated that this has tarnished my view of the Steelers but not that I was going to stop being a Steeler fan those are my feelings and I'm not apologizing for stating them. I am sure I am not the only one who has been angered by the way the team has handled matters concerning other players or situations does that mean because you take exception you are no longer allowed to be a Steeler fan???

I am also a Hines Ward fan and will be no matter how things turn out. If there are those out there who are no longer going to be Hines Ward fans I feel the same way XT does...don't let the door hit ya'...your support is not needed.

Butch
03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
If you all trusted Art II when he stepped in to get rid of Arians, then you have to support him here.

Really??? I aint following you here...what is your logic???

X-Terminator
03-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Forgive me if I missed something here, but who said anything about stop being a Steeler fan??? If this was meant for me you are grossly mistaken. I was not pleased with the way they handled Hines this past season or the way he was released, if you are fine with it so be it you too are free to express your feelings. I have stated that this has tarnished my view of the Steelers but not that I was going to stop being a Steeler fan those are my feelings and I'm not apologizing for stating them. I am sure I am not the only one who has been angered by the way the team has handled matters concerning other players or situations does that mean because you take exception you are no longer allowed to be a Steeler fan???

I am also a Hines Ward fan and will be no matter how things turn out. If there are those out there who are no longer going to be Hines Ward fans I feel the same way XT does...don't let the door hit ya'...your support is not needed.

I wasn't talking about you at all, Butch - sorry if you thought so. There have been numerous posts by so-called "Steelers fans" in story comments and on our Facebook page who are turning in their Terrible Towels because of Hines being released. Those people are not Steelers fans, because if they were, they'd understand that the TEAM comes before any one player, as disappointing as this situation may be. You root for the team through thick and thin, and if you don't...well then, once again, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Butch
03-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I wasn't talking about you at all, Butch - sorry if you thought so. There have been numerous posts by so-called "Steelers fans" in story comments and on our Facebook page who are turning in their Terrible Towels because of Hines being released. Those people are not Steelers fans, because if they were, they'd understand that the TEAM comes before any one player, as disappointing as this situation may be. You root for the team through thick and thin, and if you don't...well then, once again, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

As I stated forgive me if I am mistaken...I did take it as being aimed at me. Thank you for clearing that up I did not see the other posts you speak of, and I don't facebook.

Shoes
03-02-2012, 08:44 PM
The Steelers made the right call....I love Hines as a player but he should retire.... If he doesn't he's going to have an ugly finish in the NFL.

X-Terminator
03-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Really??? I aint following you here...what is your logic???

I thought it was pretty simple. The Rooneys haven't given fans much, if any, reason to not be given the benefit of the doubt in any decisions they make. Therefore, if everyone was supposed to support the FO (Art II) when he forced out the guy they didn't like (Arians), then that should not change in this situation just because it's your favorite player being forced out. They should be trusted that they made the correct decision in both instances. I personally didn't like the way the Arians situation was handled and I am a little disappointed Hines wasn't given the chance to retire as a Steeler, but I support their decisions. You don't win 6 Super Bowls and an assload of division titles by making a ton of bad decisions. Otherwise, Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder would have a lot more hardware in their trophy cases, and the Browns would have won a Super Bowl by now.

Butch
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
The Steelers made the right call....I love Hines as a player but he should retire.... If he doesn't he's going to have an ugly finish in the NFL.

I don't begrudge Hines playing for another team if they are willing to pick him up and give him a chance to make the team. If he earns his spot and they allow him to play then it really isn't ugly unless you mean between him and Steeler Nation. Again the Steelers let Hines go...Hines did not quit on them. If the reason is for cap space then again it's not ugly it is a business and I still question how you can hold that against Hines. I wish Hines all the success in the world no matter how it all turns out. I love his perseverance and how he developed a way to be a valued W.R. without a whole lot of speed. I think it would be fair to say he brought a new demension to a position defined by a lot of whiney ass divas.

Butch
03-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I thought it was pretty simple. The Rooneys haven't given fans much, if any, reason to not be given the benefit of the doubt in any decisions they make. Therefore, if everyone was supposed to support the FO (Art II) when he forced out the guy they didn't like (Arians), then that should not change in this situation just because it's your favorite player being forced out. They should be trusted that they made the correct decision in both instances. I personally didn't like the way the Arians situation was handled and I am a little disappointed Hines wasn't given the chance to retire as a Steeler, but I support their decisions. You don't win 6 Super Bowls and an assload of division titles by making a ton of bad decisions. Otherwise, Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder would have a lot more hardware in their trophy cases, and the Browns would have won a Super Bowl by now.

You say they haven't given us much if any but that does leave the door open. After all they also supported "Go To Hell" Godel and I think we all know how I and a lot of others feel about that decision (if I aint mistaken I think you and I see this the same way). I also think Hines contributed a lot more to the team in his 14 years than B.A. did in his 7 again MHO. Hines has been a shining example of how to persevere in the face of adversity and was a Superbowl MVP. He's had a great reputation for making the big catches over the middle to change 3rd and forever into 1st and ten. He is a Steeler legend and IMHO he deserved better.

As for B.A. I am glad we have moved on...even if Haley isn't the answer. I think Haley will fair better but only time will tell.

Shoes
03-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't begrudge Hines playing for another team if they are willing to pick him up and give him a chance to make the team. If he earns his spot and they allow him to play then it really isn't ugly unless you mean between him and Steeler Nation. Again the Steelers let Hines go...Hines did not quit on them. If the reason is for cap space then again it's not ugly it is a business and I still question how you can hold that against Hines. I wish Hines all the success in the world no matter how it all turns out. I love his perseverance and how he developed a way to be a valued W.R. without a whole lot of speed. I think it would be fair to say he brought a new demension to a position defined by a lot of whiney ass divas.

By ugly, I mean ending a fantastic career with the Steelers on another team, looking like a scrub. Hines has a hole in his gas tank....he's also a man with a lot of pride and that can be a huge stumbling block to commonsense.

Butch
03-02-2012, 09:44 PM
By ugly, I mean ending a fantastic career with the Steelers on another team, looking like a scrub. Hines has a hole in his gas tank....he's also a man with a lot of pride and that can be a huge stumbling block to commonsense.

Well he certainly was treated like a scrub by the Steelers at the end of the season so if another team is willing to pay him what harm is there in that??? The Steelers have washed their hands of Hines. I have been told by many this is a business decision so why hate Hines if he can get more money to play for another team. After all it's business too. If he does good for another team do you hate him more??? After all it wasn't his decision.

Shoes
03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Well he certainly was treated like a scrub by the Steelers at the end of the season so if another team is willing to pay him what harm is there in that??? The Steelers have washed their hands of Hines. I have been told by many this is a business decision so why hate Hines if he can get more money to play for another team. After all it's business too. If he does good for another team do you hate him more??? After all it wasn't his decision.

You better go and take your med's......who said anything about hating HW?

Butch
03-02-2012, 10:06 PM
You better go and take your med's......who said anything about hating HW?

Guess I misunderstood your statement about him playing like a scrub as hate my bad. So back to the question if he does play well for another team does it taint your opinion of Hines...is he a scrub because he's playing for another team?

salamander
03-02-2012, 10:22 PM
This isn't the first time the Steelers had to release a beloved player and it definitely won't be the last. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast.

Shoes
03-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Guess I misunderstood your statement about him playing like a scrub as hate my bad. So back to the question if he does play well for another team does it taint your opinion of Hines...is he a scrub because he's playing for another team?

I have only good wishes for Hines.....that's why I think he should retire. Hines had a great career with the Steelers but his gas tank is about empty, why chance casting a shadow on it?

SteelerEmpire
03-02-2012, 10:38 PM
This isn't the first time the Steelers had to release a beloved player and it definitely won't be the last. Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast.

Hopefully Mike Wallace won't slip away.

But the story of Hines Ward is still being told. Hines is smart, tough as nails, resilient, and has aptitude's and talent's outside of football. I put my money on it that he's gonna land on his two feet. The good news (to me) is that Hines does't need the Steelers to be successful.

Butch
03-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I have only good wishes for Hines.....that's why I think he should retire. Hines had a great career with the Steelers but his gas tank is about empty, why chance casting a shadow on it?

Glad to hear you wish Hines the best. While I don't think Hines will have a break out year, I do think he can contribute in an effective way. He was treated like a scrub by the Steelers at the end of the year and then was booted to the curb adding insult to injury despite him saying he wanted to stay and was willing to restructure. Zero targets in the S.F. game, great way to show respect for a legendary and beloved Steeler. IMHO the flack the team is getting is deserved and that is a crappy way to handle your business.

Count Steeler
03-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Glad to hear you wish Hines the best. While I don't think Hines will have a break out year, I do think he can contribute in an effective way. He was treated like a scrub by the Steelers at the end of the year and then was booted to the curb adding insult to injury despite him saying he wanted to stay and was willing to restructure. Zero targets in the S.F. game, great way to show respect for a legendary and beloved Steeler. IMHO the flack the team is getting is deserved and that is a crappy way to handle your business.

Butch, I know you love and defend Ward to the end. There were many things wrong with the SF game and that could be one of the reasons Arians got canned, but let's leave that issue dead.

As far as Ward's performance on the field, he was definitely in decline. It is very obvious that he would be the #5 WR if all the other WR remain on the roster. Yes, he was willing to restructure, but was he willing to play for vet min? I would have liked to see him compete at TC, but perhaps Ward wasn't willing to do that.

I personally am quite happy with the roster decisions so far. Rooney may be realizing he needs to step in now to assure we are not a 4-12 team in 2 years. Yes, it is sad to see the vets leave, but Rooney is proving he is committed to winning. And that warms my heart.

Butch
03-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Butch, I know you love and defend Ward to the end. There were many things wrong with the SF game and that could be one of the reasons Arians got canned, but let's leave that issue dead.

As far as Ward's performance on the field, he was definitely in decline. It is very obvious that he would be the #5 WR if all the other WR remain on the roster. Yes, he was willing to restructure, but was he willing to play for vet min? I would have liked to see him compete at TC, but perhaps Ward wasn't willing to do that.

I personally am quite happy with the roster decisions so far. Rooney may be realizing he needs to step in now to assure we are not a 4-12 team in 2 years. Yes, it is sad to see the vets leave, but Rooney is proving he is committed to winning. And that warms my heart.

If you know I am a Hines Ward fan why would you want me to let the S.F. game comments die??? It is a glaring example of how a team mishandled a legendary player. I don't believe that it had that much to do with B.A. being released since they gave him a slight reprieve last year. Zero targets in a game is under utilized and a huge slap in the face and one that I for one am not ready to just brush away as easily as some.

I never expected Hines to just be handed a spot on the team. I expected he would be allowed to come in and compete, I think he deserved that much. I don't think Hines himself would have wanted it any other way. Where you think his skills have diminished I think he was under utilized and therefore not given the opportunity to display what he has or has lost.

Count Steeler
03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Butch, the discussion to let die is the Arians "retirement". The SF game was wrong on so many levels. Ben should not have played and our offense was not right all game.

What you see as under utilization, I see as diminishing skills. Probably more dropped passes this year than in his whole career. Though he was never a speedster, he looked even slower to me this year.

As far as competing, there is a price the Steelers have to pay him. You say he was willing to restructure, but you do not know at what level. Obviously it was not low enough for Art II.

At least they got him to 1000 catches.

Shoes
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM
We use the word "fan" quite loosely these days. I was born in Pittsburgh in the early 1950's and grew-up just southwest of the city. I became a fan in the early 1960's and can tell you there weren't many of us. I can't recall one friend who was a Steeler fan. The games I saw at Forbes Field and Pitt Stadium seemed to be filled with people rooting AGAINST the Steelers. Most "fans" that I recall were "fans" of another team.

The bulk of the "Steeler Nation" today is a spoiled lot. They think we should win every game, playoff run, SB and idol worship individual players. Now some "fans" seem to think they know football and how to run this team better than the Rooney's!

Football is a TEAM BUSINESS and the Rooney's, I'm sure remember the long road to 2012.

SMR
03-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Hats off to ya for this excellent post. Ya took the words outta my mouth.