PDA

View Full Version : Best in the biz: QBs (Big Ben 4th for Jamie Dukes)

polamalubeast
07-09-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8190e344/Best-in-the-biz-QBs

5.Mcnabb
4.Roethlisberger
3.Brady
2.Brees
1.Peyton Manning

http://img2.timeinc.net/health/images/healthy-diet/jamie-dukes-150.jpg

Thank you!:hug::toofunny:

KyleJDavison
07-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I think thats exactly right. I don't want to hear about Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, or Carson Palmer, I think Ben is easily the number 4 QB in the NFL. In a 2 minute drill situation, I think Ben is THE best QB in the NFL. There is not a QB I would rather have when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter. Yes, Ben makes his share of mistakes, but I feel like he strikes gold a lot more than he comes up empty. I will take my chances on Ben over any of the other QBs ranked ahead of him. (as long as he can keep it in his pants)

stillers4me
07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
What amazes me is that they argue about Ben year after year, but Drew Brees wins one superbowl and gets elite status.

Texasteel
07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
I still can't think of a QB I would rather have when the pressure is on.

CantStop85
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
What amazes me is that they argue about Ben year after year, but Drew Brees wins one superbowl and gets elite status.

If Drew Brees isn't elite, then I don't know who is.

This past year he broke the completion percentage record for a season at 70.6% while throwing for 4,388 yards, 34 TDs and 11 INTs. And the year before he was 15 yards away from breaking the record for most passing yards in a season.

Drew Brees was elite, Super Bowl or no Super Bowl.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Dukes gave mad props to Ben... Nice.... He said it's all about whats on paper.. I'll never understand why he has only one pro-bowl so far..

CanadianSteel
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I saw this on Total Access and was pleasantly surprised to see Jamie Dukes sticking up for Ben. He belongs in the top 5 coversation and those who watch the Steelers each week know that...

steeldevil
07-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Dukes gave mad props to Ben... Nice.... He said it's all about whats on paper.. I'll never understand why he has only one pro-bowl so far..

Well he would have 2 if he chose to go this past year. Looking forward, he will be hard pressed to ever make another one as it is mostly fan vote I believe.... But hey, Ray Ray goes every year so hell....

SteelerEmpire
07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll take Ben over any of these guys... He's bigger, can scramble better, THE clutch QB in the NFL, and the most dangerous out of the pocket... If the O-line was as up to par as the other teams QB's on that list... man...

kmsteelerwr15
07-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't really have a problem with his rankings. I would take Ben over them all especially in pressure situations.

steelerdude15
07-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Ben easily belongs in the top five.

solardave
07-10-2010, 04:26 AM
If you are going by sheer stats so far then maybe he is right. Now if you are going on who is tougher you can drop Manning and Marsha from the list. History has proven if you rattle either one of those 2 they can't play worth a damn. The examples would be the SB against the Giants Brady was running for his life. In the 2005 playoffs Manning was running all day from Porter. And if you give the INT. back to Troy Manning actually had a poor game on paper that day. All that being said I'm like the rest of you guys, I'd take Ben over all of them!!!

Steely McSmash
07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
# 4 is a pretty decent ranking.

Honestly I'd say Manning is #1 and Brees, BB, Brady are all basically tied for #2 in my mind but they have very disparate styles of play.

Due to his age I wouldn't take Manning today for BB but a 5 years ago version of him?, no contest.

I think Brees belongs there. He's been good since his last season in SD.

McNabb at #5 is kind of questionable. I'd put Aaron Rodgers on there ahead of him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

This past year he broke the completion percentage record for a season at 70.6% while throwing for 4,388 yards, 34 TDs and 11 INTs. And the year before he was 15 yards away from breaking the record for most passing yards in a season.

Exactly!!! Watch Brees mechanics, vision, decision making and awareness. If Ben was as mechanically sound and made decisions like Brees..........he would have 4 Super Bowls and be considered better than Peyton Manning.

Imagine that the Chargers traded away the #1 pick (Mike Vick) and got both LT and Brees in the same draft season......and still cant get to a Super Bowl. :rofl:

KyleJDavison
07-10-2010, 08:06 PM

I hear what you are saying, but what is the qualifying line for an "Elite" QB vs a "Great" QB? John Clayton defines an elite QB as
An elite quarterback nowadays is one who can run an offense that can score 21.5 or more points a game, throw for at least 220 yards a game, complete at least 60 percent of his passes and have the ability to bring a team back in the fourth quarter. So apparently, winning Super Bowls no longer have anything to do being an elite QB. By his definition 14 QBs are considered "Elite." I am sorry but I disagree. The term elite is being thrown around far too much if 14 of the 32 starting QBs are considered Elite. I think that is ridiculous. I think his definition is more for good or great QBs but I think winning the big games, winning in the playoffs, i think that is far more important than the stats. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4705986

PalmerSteel
07-10-2010, 08:29 PM
no one i would rather have than ben (unless he screws up again off the field. if he does, shoot him and bury him!) because he fits our team to a T (on the field) but that is a very good ranking. impressed. wish i would have seen big mouth jamie talk about it.

Galax Steeler
07-11-2010, 05:55 AM
Ben deserves to be in the top four he knows how to win when it counts the most. That last drive in the Super Bowl was one example when he stayed cool and drove our team down the field. That is being a good quarterback in my book.

st33lersguy
07-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I'll take those rankings, you can make a case for why P. Manning, Brees, and Brady are better, and Dukes gave very good reasons. Atleast he gets ranked ahead of overrated players like E. Manning, Palmer, Rivers, Rhomo etc.

HometownGal
07-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Ben is most definitely a Top 5 QB and if he keeps the head on his shoulders straight, he could easily move up to Top 3 status imho.

vasteeler
07-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Ben is most definitely a Top 5 QB and if he keeps the head on his shoulders straight, he could easily move up to Top 3 status imho.

i think thats where he is now.if he keeps his head on straight he has the ability to be the best in the league

polamalubeast
07-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Usually the ring argument is a great one...but here it does not fit.

Roethlisberger is almost never even a factor in playoff games.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=401625&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=165

:ranger:

steeldevil
07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Some prople just are not very bright... Yes statistics go a long way in determining how good a player is, and yes there are at least 6 or so QBs that put up better stats than Ben and look "sexier" doing it. But stats are not everything that determines great players, ask Dan Marino how many of those records he would give away to have a ring on his finger right now...

HometownGal
07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
i think thats where he is now.if he keeps his head on straight he has the ability to be the best in the league

I don't put Ben in the Top 3 at this point - sorry. I believe Manning, A$$ Chin (as I throw up in my mouth typing this) and Brees are all fairly ranked above Ben. With a new OL coach, more of a rushing attack and Ben concentrating 100% on his game and career instead of fantasizing about dickie dunkin', the possibilities with Ben are endless. :thumbsup:

HughC
07-13-2010, 11:55 AM
The thing with any ranking such as this is that everybody has their own set of criteria. On top of that football is the ultimate team sport; a player's success is far more dependent on his teammates in the NFL than it is in other team sports. For example in baseball your stats may be slightly skewed by who is batting in front of and behind you, but for the most part your stats are more telling of your productivity. In football a quarterback's stats will be greatly altered by the offensive line in front of him, quality of his receivers, strength of the running game, offensive scheme and play calling, and even the strength of the defense.

Championships count for something, but you can't let that be the sole factor, or else you fall into the fallacy of Trent Dilfer being a better QB than Dan Marino. You can't use stats alone for the reasons mentioned above. Comeback victories should be considered, but then you're not giving credit to a QB who puts his team in the lead and keeps that lead by not taking his foot off the pedal. Maybe winning percentage in close games, say two touchdowns or less is a better benchmark, but I've never seen a compilation of that statistic; plus, that doesn't give any credit to somebody for doing what their supposed to do in an easy win. Wins and losses, and playoff appearances should count for something, but then how do you rate someone that might be the equivalent at QB to what Barry Sanders was at RB? Being tough and difficult to tackle is great, but is that really what is the most important trait in a QB? Decision making on the field is probably more important, but how do you measure that?

I guess everyone is going to have their own criteria; me, I'd try to use a portion of everything mentioned above in an attempt to be objective. That being said, 4th best sounds about right.

steel striker
07-13-2010, 02:19 PM
I will still take Ben against anyone because, he does not need a perfect pocket like a few of the others listed. Ben extends the play like no other qb in the game.

Indo
07-13-2010, 04:27 PM
The thing with any ranking such as this is that everybody has their own set of criteria. On top of that football is the ultimate team sport; a player's success is far more dependent on his teammates in the NFL than it is in other team sports. For example in baseball your stats may be slightly skewed by who is batting in front of and behind you, but for the most part your stats are more telling of your productivity. In football a quarterback's stats will be greatly altered by the offensive line in front of him, quality of his receivers, strength of the running game, offensive scheme and play calling, and even the strength of the defense.

Championships count for something, but you can't let that be the sole factor, or else you fall into the fallacy of Trent Dilfer being a better QB than Dan Marino. You can't use stats alone for the reasons mentioned above. Comeback victories should be considered, but then you're not giving credit to a QB who puts his team in the lead and keeps that lead by not taking his foot off the pedal. Maybe winning percentage in close games, say two touchdowns or less is a better benchmark, but I've never seen a compilation of that statistic; plus, that doesn't give any credit to somebody for doing what their supposed to do in an easy win. Wins and losses, and playoff appearances should count for something, but then how do you rate someone that might be the equivalent at QB to what Barry Sanders was at RB? Being tough and difficult to tackle is great, but is that really what is the most important trait in a QB? Decision making on the field is probably more important, but how do you measure that?

I guess everyone is going to have their own criteria; me, I'd try to use a portion of everything mentioned above in an attempt to be objective. That being said, 4th best sounds about right.

Good post

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't put Ben in the Top 3 at this point - sorry. I believe Manning, A$$ Chin (as I throw up in my mouth typing this) and Brees are all fairly ranked above Ben. With a new OL coach, more of a rushing attack and Ben concentrating 100% on his game and career instead of fantasizing about dickie dunkin', the possibilities with Ben are endless. :thumbsup:

I agree. I actually find it somewhat sad that Aaron Rodgers seems like much more of a professional and probably belongs at #5. The kid has been working on his craft, while Ben has been working on ..............whatever.

HughC
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
I will still take Ben against anyone because, he does not need a perfect pocket like a few of the others listed. Ben extends the play like no other qb in the game.
While that may be true he also has a tendency to hold on to the ball too long in an attempt to make the perfect play in comparison to some of the others, resulting in a loss of yardage due to a sack. Sometimes there is something to be said about a quick release, making a quick decision to find the open receiver, and pre and post snap reads of the defense. A quick completion to an open receiver for a seven or eight yard gain is not a bad thing, and throwing the ball away or tossing it to the checkdown option is better than losing yardage due to a sack, or asking the line to hold their blocks so long they end up with a holding penalty.