PDA

View Full Version : Farrior Likely to be Cut?

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Statement from his agent. Surprised no one has put this up yet.

A day after the Steelers told wide receiver Hines Ward they were releasing him, the agent for James Farrior said he thinks the veteran inside linebacker could be among the next to go.

"It's not a done deal, but the percentages just aren't there," said Ralph Cindrich, who represents Farrior.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_784327.html#ixzz1ntBEIwKA

----------

This would surprise me. He's only owed just under 3 million and while Foote has been cutting into his playing time, I don't see any real reason to cut ties with him.

ALLD
03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Foote or Farrior, one or the other will go, but not both most likely.

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Foote or Farrior, one or the other will go, but not both most likely.

Foote's making more money and to me, is the inferior player. I'd cut him before I did Farrior.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Foote is younger...I think they are securing their back-up and possible stop-gap while they draft and groom their next starter. It's impossible for Farrior to play that role for more than a year or two...

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Foote is younger...I think they are securing their back-up and possible stop-gap while they draft and groom their next starter. It's impossible for Farrior to play that role for more than a year or two...

That's what drafting a backup is for. And then when Farrior is gone in a year or two, hopefully the backup is ready to step in.

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I still smile everytime I think about his quote after getting an int against Plummer in the AFC Title game a few years back...about this "running skills"

"I Get Nervous!"

suitanim
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
That's what drafting a backup is for. And then when Farrior is gone in a year or two, hopefully the backup is ready to step in.

Normally, I would agree...but we had too many future holes to fill in past drafts to be able to do all that. The bill came due all at once this season. Farrior is one of my favorite Steelers, but he's only got a year left, at MOST. An he's barely playing at a starters level. Maybe we have something on the roster that the fans don't know about, but I doubt it.

I'm uncomfortable drafting and trying to start a LB in our defense. Foote gives us security for a few more years. That's why we brought him back. He's not flashy, but he knows his role and plays with discipline...

oneforthetoe
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM

I am not sure James has one more year in him let alone two. Foote may not be an upgrade, but his skills, such as they are, should not drop of considerably over the next two seasons. If James does get released, one of the true unsung stalwarts in Steelers' history will be leaving.

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I am not sure James has one more year in him let alone two. Foote may not be an upgrade, but his skills, such as they are, should not drop of considerably over the next two seasons. If James does get released, one of the true unsung stalwarts in Steelers' history will be leaving.

I don't see Foote being here that much longer. His contract is up soon, no? Isn't this upcoming year the last on his contract?

I still think Farrior is playing at a relatively high level and is the defensive signal caller and leader of the defense.

oneforthetoe
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't see Foote being here that much longer. His contract is up soon, no? Isn't this upcoming year the last on his contract?

I still think Farrior is playing at a relatively high level and is the defensive signal caller and leader of the defense.

Yes, it is his last year. I see the two as basically even at this point (career-wise Farrior is far superior). It would also make more sense for the Steelers to redo Foote's contract to lower his cap number this season and extending him for another year, since he is younger.

Plus, Foote brings that Mo-town magic to the team. ;)

Count Steeler
03-01-2012, 05:45 PM

That is, when he plays. I don't know if it was the lack of a dominant nose this year, but Farrior did not seem to be close to what he has been in previous seasons. '10 was an exceptional year for him, especially at that age. Last year was definitely a down year.

It is the changing of the guard, it would seem. I wouldn't be too secure if I was Foote either. Unfortunately, we just don't have the quality depth at ILB. The Steelers may be preparing for some FA movement or some movement in the draft.

We have only just begun.

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes, it is his last year. I see the two as basically even at this point (career-wise Farrior is far superior). It would also make more sense for the Steelers to redo Foote's contract to lower his cap number this season and extending him for another year, since he is younger.

Plus, Foote brings that Mo-town magic to the team. ;)

But Farrior has been the starter and is the leader. Again, I don't see Foote sticking around for any long period of time, we let him walk two years ago.

ALLD
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Both have one more season as back ups. Farrior for all reasons mentioned above should get to choose.

steelerdude15
03-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd rather let go of Foote.

The Duke
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I'd rather let go of Foote.

same here

at least Potsie brings leadership to the table

86WARD
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
That is, when he plays. I don't know if it was the lack of a dominant nose this year, but Farrior did not seem to be close to what he has been in previous seasons. '10 was an exceptional year for him, especially at that age. Last year was definitely a down year.

It is the changing of the guard, it would seem. I wouldn't be too secure if I was Foote either. Unfortunately, we just don't have the quality depth at ILB. The Steelers may be preparing for some FA movement or some movement in the draft.

We have only just begun.

QFT

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Hightower at the 24th pick is looking better and better

Steeldude
03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Foote's making more money and to me, is the inferior player. I'd cut him before I did Farrior.

Agreed. Foote in place of Farrior would be a huge blow to the defense. Foote is absolutely horrible in pass coverage. I'll take an older Farrior over Foote. Foote is often a little late to react and takes bad angles. Unfortunately, this is an area the Steelers have neglected, unless they feel Sylvester is ready.

Austin87
03-02-2012, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't cut Farrior or Foote to be honest. I would rather cut Sylvester and let a rookie take his place. I don't think Sylvester is a starter in the NFL. He has had time and opportunity, I think he is a special teams player only.

ShutDown24
03-02-2012, 03:56 AM

I agree

I wouldn't cut Farrior or Foote to be honest. I would rather cut Sylvester and let a rookie take his place. I don't think Sylvester is a starter in the NFL. He has had time and opportunity, I think he is a special teams player only.

I don't think Sylvester is a starter but neither is Foote. And I'd rather have the younger, quicker player who might not have the experience - but brings special teams value to the table without compromising depth.

suitanim
03-02-2012, 05:37 AM
We most definitely need to keep SOMEONE. We will be very thin and inexperienced at ILB next year...