PDA

View Full Version : Source: No tag for Mike Wallace

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers plan to tender, not franchise, restricted free agent Mike Wallace, according to a source close to the wide receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7633206/pittsburgh-steelers-franchise-wr-mike-wallace-source-says

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm wondering if the Steelers aren't dangling Wallace out there with the intention of saving money now, and getting a first rounder by having someone else taking him off our hands. I've heard it said a few times now, if we pay Wallace big time money now, we'll just have to turn around and do the same next year for Brown. I wonder if they aren't making an effort to get rid of Wallace now for a First Rounder, without actually trading him, knowing they want to keep Brown long term over the two of them. This makes me nervous cause Sanders doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy and we haven't even re-signed Cotcherey yet. (probably spelt the name wrong there but I don't care enough to look up the spelling.)

Front office can save face, "Hey, we offered him a Tender, someone else matched and we couldn't do it, we'll have to just go with the 1st rounder they give up and wish Mike the best" meanwhile, that was the plan all along, thinking that Wallace is mostly speed based and like with Parker, once the speed goes, there is nothing else there.

polamalubeast
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
50%.....

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
He's not going anywhere.

polamalubeast
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
He's not going anywhere.

50%

I think the 49ers are very interested(maybe the pats too)

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 03:15 PM
50%

Sure, they're interested. And he might be gone if he was a UFA. But he's restricted and those guys do not leave their tendered team.

polamalubeast
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Sure, they're interested. And he might be gone if he was a UFA. But he's restricted and those guys do not leave their tendered team.

As I often say, I hope you'll be right, but I'm afraid that Wallace leaves the steelers.

In the next 12 days,he will be a lot of rumor about Wallace......:doh:

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm wondering if the Steelers aren't dangling Wallace out there with the intention of saving money now, and getting a first rounder by having someone else taking him off our hands. I've heard it said a few times now, if we pay Wallace big time money now, we'll just have to turn around and do the same next year for Brown. I wonder if they aren't making an effort to get rid of Wallace now for a First Rounder, without actually trading him, knowing they want to keep Brown long term over the two of them. This makes me nervous cause Sanders doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy and we haven't even re-signed Cotcherey yet. (probably spelt the name wrong there but I don't care enough to look up the spelling.)

Front office can save face, "Hey, we offered him a Tender, someone else matched and we couldn't do it, we'll have to just go with the 1st rounder they give up and wish Mike the best" meanwhile, that was the plan all along, thinking that Wallace is mostly speed based and like with Parker, once the speed goes, there is nothing else there.

You make a lot of good points. I can't help but wonder the same thing. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone offered him a nice contract that we either can't or decide not to match. We will have to wait and see.

Of course I hope he stays put, but I guess you never know.

BlastFurnace
03-01-2012, 03:34 PM
"Young Money" will come to fruition...one way or another.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I think the 49ers are interested as well. They need a WR and with a late first round pick they may choose to go after him.

SteelerEmpire
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Chances are somebody WILL make him an offer. It's now simply up to Wallace to decide if he want's to remain a Steeler.

Psycho Ward 86
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I think the 49ers are interested as well. They need a WR and with a late first round pick they may choose to go after him.

yeah this is my thinking as well. Just putting yourselves in the 49ers' shoes...it would be a good deal. I actually want wallace franchised. If they do tender him, it better be the highest one

suitanim
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
We can offer a large signing bonus against a smaller yearly salary and still be cap-friendly.

steeldevil
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I think this is the right move. Didn't want them to franchise tag him. At this point in his career, he is not worth the money the tag would give him. Like $9 M right? No way...

Now we will either keep him at a low price, Like 2-3M?, or get a 1st rounder for him. BOTH of those options are better than paying him $9M.

polamalubeast
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I think this is the right move. Didn't want them to franchise tag him. At this point in his career, he is not worth the money the tag would give him. Like $9 M right? No way...

Now we will either keep him at a low price, Like 2-3M?, or get a 1st rounder for him. BOTH of those options are better than paying him $9M.

You might be right.

XxKnightxX
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
This is how you stress test that young talented WR corps. Because when you think about it, 2nd half of the season Mike Wallace was nowhere to be found and was showing his one trick pony tendencies and Brown was all over the map. I said it before in one of my posts. Ill take a first rounder and a 3rd for Wallace and give the money to Brown whos been an absolute beast. Yeah Browns been a beast because of the work Wallace takes away, but at the same time we need other areas of work. And some extra early draft picks never hurts. I think getting an early draft pick for once would be a good thing. We havent picked below 18 since we got Ben in 04.

SteelerFanInStl
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I'd like to see Wallace remain a Steeler but he's not worth franchise money right now.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Chances are somebody WILL make him an offer. It's now simply up to Wallace to decide if he want's to remain a Steeler.

I don't think its up to wallace really. If a team makes an offer that we aren't willing to match I think that is on us and it doesn't matter if Wallace would take less to play for us. I may be wrong though.

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't think its up to wallace really. If a team makes an offer that we aren't willing to match I think that is on us and it doesn't matter if Wallace would take less to play for us. I may be wrong though.

From my understanding, he does have the ability to negoiate with other teams like a UFA would.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
From my understanding, he does have the ability to negoiate with other teams like a UFA would.

Negoiate is understandable, but if a team offers an amount larger then whatever the Steelers offer can he turn it down and simply play for the Steelers? Or does he have to go to whoever made the larger offer?

Chidi29
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Negoiate is understandable, but if a team offers an amount larger then whatever the Steelers offer can he turn it down and simply play for the Steelers? Or does he have to go to whoever made the larger offer?

The Steelers would have to match the offer the other team gave. So if the Pats offer 5 years at 45 million (just making up numbers) with 20 million guaranteed, the Steelers have to match that or he goes to New England.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
The Steelers would have to match the offer the other team gave. So if the Pats offer 5 years at 45 million (just making up numbers) with 20 million guaranteed, the Steelers have to match that or he goes to New England.

Ok I think I was in the ballpark of it worked then lol

Thanks

steelerdude15
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Figured they'd probably go for a long term deal.

Count Steeler
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
There are a lot of UFA WR this year as well. Wallace will come at the price of a first round draft choice. I think most teams will go for the UFAs first.

86WARD
03-01-2012, 08:57 PM

He could get offered a contract and just could decide not to sign the tender.

JayC
03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
the only team i could see giving a first for wallace is NE since they always have a ton of picks.

Iron Steeler
03-02-2012, 05:48 AM

Now Can Wallace walk away from that metaphorical new england offer if he pleases?

GBMelBlount
03-02-2012, 06:25 AM
I wonder if Ben had been more accurate on his bombs if Wallace would seem less expendable....

Bluecoat96
03-02-2012, 07:12 AM
We can offer a large signing bonus against a smaller yearly salary and still be cap-friendly.

With all the cap space we've cleared, I would think we'd be able to do that now PLUS make a run a keeping Cotchery as well.

Bluecoat96
03-02-2012, 07:30 AM
50%

I honestly think that while There MAY be interest out there for Wallace, anything being said right now is 100% media speculation designed to get ratings/hits on T.V./websites. The media knows how obsessed we Steelers fans are and how we'll either read or tune in to anything Steelers related...well....at least I can vouch for my own obsession with anything Steelers. Just ask my wife. lol

suitanim
03-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I wonder if Ben had been more accurate on his bombs if Wallace would seem less expendable....

He's still very, very valuable and the Steelers realize that, even if the fans don't. He did, on occasion, draw double teams. He also can certainly distract safeties, and help clear out the underneath stuff. This is another case of people focusing on just a few trees and not the whole forest.

suitanim
03-02-2012, 07:55 AM
With all the cap space we've cleared, I would think we'd be able to do that now PLUS make a run a keeping Cotchery as well.

As already mentioned, there are a lot of top-tier FA WR's this year. Cotchery also hardly put up eye-popping numbers (16 catches for 237 and 2 TD's). But the Steelers know what they have there...he's a guy who can really contribute and isn't going to bust the bank.

86WARD
03-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Remember they need room for rookies and to replenish the roster as well...plus extra in case of injury.

NCSteeler
03-02-2012, 09:10 PM
As already mentioned, there are a lot of top-tier FA WR's this year. Cotchery also hardly put up eye-popping numbers (16 catches for 237 and 2 TD's). But the Steelers know what they have there...he's a guy who can really contribute and isn't going to bust the bank.

This season does have a large WR FA class so the money may be low after the first few signings.

SMR
03-03-2012, 11:16 AM

I agree. I think he's still a diamond in the rough. Cotchery is secretly under-rated and I think he knows it too, but as long as he's humble about it and works hard it should work in the Steelers' favor. I'm excited really excited about this.

SMR
03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Now Can Wallace walk away from that metaphorical new england offer if he pleases?

Yes, I believe so. He has that right.