PDA

View Full Version : Ward should have his bust in Canton in due time

polamalubeast
03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
With deserving wide receivers such as Andre Reed, Tim Brown and Cris Carter being kept out of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the wall could be a high one for Hines Ward to climb once he becomes eligible. At least for the first few tries.

At some point, though, Ward will have his bust emblazoned in Canton -- and deservedly so.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8274e2b5/article/ward-should-have-his-bust-in-canton-in-due-time?module=HP11_cp

GBMelBlount
03-01-2012, 08:53 AM
By the time Ward is eligible there may be 20 receivers with 1,000 catches...

Moose
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
It's a nice thought, but a long way away.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
It will help him that he has something unique and original about him (his blocking and general toughness) that will make him stand out a bit. He has the numbers to get in, and he has two rings. He also played on a team that was most definitely run-first for 75% of his career, which needs to be taken into account.

He will be hurt by the anti-Steeler prejudice that some hold. We are piling up HOF inductee's, and the list of eligible and deserving Steelers isn't going to get shorter any time soon.

BigNastyDefense
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I think this minor log jam will be long gone by the time Ward is eligible. He likely won't be a first year HoFer, but it shouldn't take that long. It helps that he's been good to the media because I think that gets you votes earlier over a guy that was standoffish.

86WARD
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
A Super Bowl
mVP on his resume helps.

tube517
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
It will help him that he has something unique and original about him (his blocking and general toughness) that will make him stand out a bit. He has the numbers to get in, and he has two rings. He also played on a team that was most definitely run-first for 75% of his career, which needs to be taken into account.

He will be hurt by the anti-Steeler prejudice that some hold. We are piling up HOF inductee's, and the list of eligible and deserving Steelers isn't going to get shorter any time soon.

That will be the big holdup.

GBMelBlount
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I think this minor log jam will be long gone by the time Ward is eligible.

With 10 quarterbacks passing for 4,000 yards annually and the league becoming so pass friendly Ward's numbers may likely look less and less remarkable with each passing year.

Two rings, Super bowl MVP, Best blocking wide receiver....all of these things may help...

But it is really hard to know exactly how things will look in 5 years with regards to receivers and the HOF...

it could be an absolute cluster fook.

Craic
03-01-2012, 06:17 PM
With 10 quarterbacks passing for 4,000 yards annually and the league becoming so pass friendly Ward's numbers may likely look less and less remarkable with each passing year.

Two rings, Super bowl MVP, Best blocking wide receiver....all of these things may help...

But it is really hard to know exactly how things will look in 5 years with regards to receivers and the HOF...

it could be an absolute cluster fook.

It does seem, however, like they take era into account. So I don't think the numbers being put up now, will affect the work Hines did in the late 00's and, as it has been said before, the fact he did it on a run-first team with shoddy QB'ing for most of his career.

GBMelBlount
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
It does seem, however, like they take era into account.

So I don't think the numbers being put up now, will affect the work Hines did in the late 00's and, as it has been said before, the fact he did it on a run-first team with shoddy QB'ing for most of his career.

I HONESTLY hope you are right Preach...If they could measure heart he would be first ballot...