PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward's Statement on Facebook....

katmandu
02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/10150603474090945

This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life. To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season. - HINES

Craic
02-29-2012, 08:24 PM
It is a shame if it's true. But it's been said many times, football is a business and with the cap the way it is, and the receivers we have now, he was the odd man out.

GBMelBlount
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
He can still come to camp, right?

zulater
02-29-2012, 08:31 PM
He can still come to camp, right?

It looks to me as if the Steelers have moved on. I don't think Hines is invited.

SteelerEmpire
02-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I hope the front office knows what their doing on this. Outside of Wallace and Brown, I'm still not sold on the remaining WR's.

BigNastyDefense
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Maybe they can sign him to a new contract with a minimal cap hit? I know they were trying to restructure his deal, but sometimes a restructure can't save you the amount needed.

It will be weird to see him in a different uniform if he does play next season. But it all depends on what offers he gets and what role he would play. If he's not going to get decent playing time, I can see him just retiring.

silver & black
02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
I think he'd look great in Silver and Black! :wink02:

fansince'76
02-29-2012, 09:09 PM

...for vet minimum. :chuckle:

GodfatherofSoul
02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I think he'd look great in Silver and Black!

We'll trade you a 1st round pick and 2nd next year. Wait, Al Davis is dead...

Chidi29
02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Here's how I look at it.

I'd rather the Steelers cut Ward than keep him and have him sit on the bench for all but five plays a game and completely fade away the rest of his career. Let him go out with his last regular season reception being his 1000th catch.

steelerdude15
02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
You're a class act Hines and amazing person. Thank you for everything.

Shoes
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I think Hines has more pride than football left in him. Please retire......Broadcast Steeler games with Chidi. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and watching him level a Steeler defender?

zulater
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Here's how I look at it.

I'd rather the Steelers cut Ward than keep him and have him sit on the bench for all but five plays a game and completely fade away the rest of his career. Let him go out with his last regular season reception being his 1000th catch.

That's Hines decision to make. Even though I can see where he was going to have trouble finding playing time with the Steelers, I don't think that would hold true league wide. Not every team has receivers the quality of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emanuel Sanders. I still think the Steelers will end up resigning Cotchery too.

Anyway for the most part Hines was playing ok last season until he got layed out by Ray Lewis. After that he didn't get as much playing time, and just never recaptured his stride. I wouldn't bet against him coming back and contributing somewhere next season.

Chidi29
02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
That's Hines decision to make. Even though I can see where he was going to have trouble finding playing time with the Steelers, I don't think that would hold true league wide. Not every team has receivers the quality of Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Emanuel Sanders. I still think the Steelers will end up resigning Cotchery too.

Anyway for the most part Hines was playing ok last season until he got layed out by Ray Lewis. After that he didn't get as much playing time, and just never recaptured his stride. I wouldn't bet against him coming back and contributing somewhere next season.

I'm not saying he shouldn't/won't go somewhere else (I think he will a la Franco Harris) but that it would have been a bad idea to keep him if you were just going to bench him and have him be inactive, as Gerry Dulac speculated, which is likely what would have happened. Much more sour note to go out on.

katmandu
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and watching him level a Steeler defender?In HEINZ field to boot ! That would be a horrific site and completely damage Hine's legacy.

tube517
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
I can't stomach seeing him in another uniform.

86WARD
02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and watching him level a Steeler defender?

Ryan Clark...lol.

86WARD
02-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I can't stomach seeing him in another uniform.

Could see him go to Miami...

tube517
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Could see him go to Miami...

:nono: we know Pittsburgh West is waiting for him

GBMelBlount
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
It looks to me as if the Steelers have moved on. I don't think Hines is invited.

Yes, I am a complete homer on this one....

Hines will rise to the challenge and redouble his efforts and come back for one last dream season....

please.

tube517
02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APSxK_w56u8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HuHa1DRc9U&feature=related

Dodt
02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
i just hope he retires and they bring him back as a receivers coach.

steelreserve
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Patriots probably would've signed him, except with a new OC he won't have the playbook anymore ...

Austin87
03-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Reading that statement made me very sad. It couldn't have been easy fir Hines to write that. You will be missed.

Count Steeler
03-01-2012, 05:06 AM
Imagine if one of our defenders lays out Ward and ends his career.

I'm sure every player believes they still have some football left in them. Ward may have a little left, and it is better to go out with a little than none at all. Hines, I hope you reconsider and just talk another job off the field.

Thanks for your Steelers days. We will always admire your smile and your tenacity. You are a rare WR and we will miss you.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 05:25 AM
I hate to say this, but ALL THREE of our disvision rivals have a need at WR. The Bengals are in the best shape of the 3, then the Rats, and the Browns have almost nothing at receiver.

It would be a bitter pill to swallow to see Ward in orange and brown. And you'd have to wonder at his motives if he did sign a deal with an arch-rival...

Butch
03-01-2012, 05:36 AM
In HEINZ field to boot ! That would be a horrific site and completely damage Hine's legacy.

I can only speak for myself on this, but I don't think it would damage his legacy, after all he wanted to stay a Steeler but the Steelers where the ones who let him go not the other way around.

I also don't see him retiring and coming back to the Steelers to coach the receivers. I can't imagine him coming back to the team that quickly after they have forced him out the door. I can only hope he returns to the team (when his playing days are over) ala Franco and does not hold a grudge as Terry once had.

Love ya' Hines you are and will always be the Man!!!

Butch
03-01-2012, 05:39 AM
I hate to say this, but ALL THREE of our disvision rivals have a need at WR. The Bengals are in the best shape of the 3, then the Rats, and the Browns have almost nothing at receiver.

It would be a bitter pill to swallow to see Ward in orange and brown. And you'd have to wonder at his motives if he did sign a deal with an arch-rival...

Of all the teams you mention can't see him going to the browns, they are a complete disaster. I would have to think he will be playing next to Fitz next season, but I guess only time will tell.

st33lersguy
03-01-2012, 08:10 AM
:nono: we know Pittsburgh West is waiting for him

That would be good because the Steelers don't play the Cards until 2015. Although sadly I think the Patriots will sign him. They have a tendency to add other team's aging recievers

The WH
03-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and watching him level a Steeler defender? Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and Troy Polamalu leveling him?

suitanim
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Of all the teams you mention can't see him going to the browns, they are a complete disaster. I would have to think he will be playing next to Fitz next season, but I guess only time will tell.

I believe it would ONLY be an option if he was trying to make some kind of statement about the way he was released.

SteelMember
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
:Cry:

A true Steelers icon!

To a guy I once saw run out of his cleat and halfway out of a sock, then still looked to lower a shoulder.

:drink:

Thank you for all the memories.

:tt03:

O'Malley
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

No offense but:puke:

86WARD
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
That would be good because the Steelers don't play the Cards until 2015. Although sadly I think the Patriots will sign him. They have a tendency to add other team's aging recievers

Ward and Ocho Cinco? Nah...

Colts maybe?

SteelMember
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
How 'bout "Georgia Boy Comes Back Home" - Atlanta Falcons. :noidea:

ALLD
03-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I watched Sugar Ray Leonard's last fight after so many comebacks. His attitude was good, his body looked chiseled, but he was so slow. He aged in the ring and never got it back. Same thing for Ward.

He can still try the Cards or Jets, but best of luck to him. He needs to retire before he gets hurt.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Could you imagine the Steelers playing against Hines and Troy Polamalu leveling him?

The refs would be completely confused on who to and not to throw flags on for penalties that might not be penalties and vice-versa...

Iron Steeler
03-01-2012, 02:49 PM
I hate to say this, but ALL THREE of our disvision rivals have a need at WR. The Bengals are in the best shape of the 3, then the Rats, and the Browns have almost nothing at receiver. It would be a bitter pill to swallow to see Ward in orange and brown. And you'd have to wonder at his motives if he did sign a deal with an arch-rival... That just made feel sick

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Ward would still have to get paid big bucks, to be on a Roster as a #2 or #3 and beat out other veterans out there that are looking for teams to join in 2012. Just saying, its not like his door is going to be blown open to get him on the roster. I love Hines, but does his current ability put him above guys like Donald Driver? Or Vincent Jackson, or Marques Colston, Deshean Jackson, Burreess, Garcon...so on and so forth...Moss...Owens...just saying...he may be finished. And even if he makes a camp, he still has to peform and I remember that Tomlin has allowed Ward a lot of lax behavior in the last couple mini-camps.