PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Steelers to release Hines Ward

polamalubeast
02-29-2012, 04:23 PM
We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-to-release-Hines-Ward/ba693de8-74b6-4435-b879-091e6766736a

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
well....there it is

polamalubeast
02-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

crcsnail
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
im not surprised but still a very sad day :(

fansince'76
02-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Knew this was coming, but it's still hard to take. :cry02:

stillers4me
02-29-2012, 04:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/4_9_7.gif

smokin3000gt
02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
What a kick in the nutts, not because it was a huge surprise but it's HW man! =T

salamander
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Thank you for everything you've done for the Black and Gold, Hines. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever life has in store for you. We all knew this was coming but it's definitely a sad day in Steeler nation. :(

polamalubeast
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
The game against the Broncos have been the last game of Ward with the steelers.

Psycho Ward 86
02-29-2012, 04:36 PM
We all knew it was coming. Best wishes to Ward, we'll always love you man!

st33lersguy
02-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Sad, sad day in Steelers history. Chris Kemo better follow him. I will be mad if they release such a great, beloved Steeler in Hines and keep that penalty machine

Nadroj 20
02-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Can't really imagine watching a steelers game with no hines ward since I've been doing it forever. Its going to be hard not seeing you in the b&g anymore hines!

Thanks for everything you've done for this team! You will always be missed!!

Devilsdancefloor
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Could the be releasing him to resign him at vet minimum? Anyway i am sad i hope he doesnt do a franco and just retires a steeler :(

Burghfan58
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Good Bye old friend. Please if you are not retiring don't sign with the Ravens, Pats, Bengals or Browns.

Godfather
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Could the be releasing him to resign him at vet minimum? Anyway i am sad i hope he doesnt do a franco and just retires a steeler :(

I hope so. Let him be the 5th WR as long as he wants. It's not like the bottom of the depth chart needs to be used for anything else.

JayC
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
well this is so sad. hines is my favorite steeler. i don't want to see him with a different uniform on next year. i hope he retires now and goes into broadcasting. but im very upset i'll never get to see him in the steelers uniform again on sundays. goodbye hines http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/tear.gif

7willBheaven
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Wow...I figured they're rework his deal. Like someone said I wonder if they'd re-sign him to save money. But the way the article was written it doesnt sound like it. He will be missed, thanks for everything Hines....hopefully he hangs it up and doesnt go elsewhere...I'd love him to be a future WR coach too.

katmandu
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Good Bye old friend. Please if you are not retiring don't sign with the Ravens, Pats, Bengals or Browns.We love you Hines!

Thank you for giving us your blood, sweat, tears and most importantly YOUR HEART !!

tube517
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Just retire. No need to play for another team. Please don't go out like Franco or Webster.

tube517
02-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Really need to sign Wallace and Cotch now.

Dino 6 Rings
02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Really need to sign Wallace and Cotch now.

pretty sure they wouldn't have released Ward without Wallace already on the line and Cotch pretty much one foot in the door. Just saying.

polamalubeast
02-29-2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rUi_JBn-I

BlastFurnace
02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I sure hope this means Cotch is staying.

Buckinnuts
02-29-2012, 05:05 PM
well that just sucks...what a great reciever and man...we will miss you!

XxKnightxX
02-29-2012, 05:08 PM
On a rainy Cold day in February on a leap year. This is sad news. I wish him nothing but the best.

zulater
02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
I knew it was coming, but it still is a real downer. I wish one of the networks would offer him a job, so he would retire from playing as a Steeler. It will really suck to see him in another uniform if it comes to that. But I respect his right to pursue another job elsewhere in the league, and if that's what he decides I wish him all the luck in the world.

stillers4me
02-29-2012, 05:12 PM
As a Steelers fan, I can't think of a sadder day.

SMR
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Awww man!! Breaks my heart. I have nothing but fond memories of the old warrior. God bless you Hines!!

steeldevil
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Knew it was gonna happen, but it still sucks...

Bluecoat96
02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Somewhere in Arizona, Ken Whisenhunt just got a boner.

zulater
02-29-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/hines-ward-releases-statement-says-he-looks-forward-to-still-playing-in-the-nfl/

Bluecoat96
In all seriousness though, this sucks. It was expected, but it still sucks. I think my wife is even sadder about it. She refers to Hines as her "boyfriend."

SteelerFanInStl
We all knew that it was coming but it's still a sad day. I do hope that they can re-sign him for vet minimum. I don't want to see him play for anyone else.

Edman
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
It was coming. If not now, then probably next year.

A hard, tough decision to make, but it had to be made.

Best of Luck to Hines. We're going to miss his toughness and fearlessness. Toughest SOB WR to ever play the game. Epitomized Steeler Football and was a total class act.

Galax Steeler
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Ha Ha you are probably right on with that. LOL

Carolina Steelers
02-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I also knew it was coming, but i was holding out for 1 more yr, Ward is my favorite Steelers so he will be missed hopefully he will retire as a Steeler hate to see him go some where else but if he does i will support him unless they play the Steelers

Butch
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Well there you have it. I am with Hines and believe he stills has some gas left in the tank. I fully expect to get blasted for this but not only is this a bleak day for Steeler Nation I have lost some respect for the people who made this decision. Yes I will still be a Steeler fan, but I will not forget how they have treated another legend. I will follow Hines no matter who he plays for and wish him the best of luck continuing his NFL career.

slippy
02-29-2012, 06:38 PM
i love hines as much as anybody, but signing players for sentimental reasons leads to a cap strapped 4 and 12 team in a few years. i dont think any of us want a year like that.

even if HW catches 20 balls for the cardinals, titans, redskins or seahawks it will not matter, he is always and only, a steeler!

i thought he should be released, but still a very sad day......

Polamalu Princess
02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
So sad...not much else to say...

The Duke
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
This feels so weird, most of my life watching Hines and that smile every sunday. It truly won't be the same....

Shoes
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
I just wish he would have retired. Welcome to the real world Hines! :chuckle:

katmandu
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
[[/video]Dude needs to update the words in that Tribute Video to resemble today's FACTS.

Moose
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. It's a sad day, we all knew it was coming, we love you Hines, etc.,etc.. Now, let's accept the happening. Hines didn't play that much last year, he does have the age, and WR is a young position. I would have loved Hines to stick around at least 1 more year and then retire a Steeler. Let's hope, if the F.O. doesn't sign him as a Vet price, he'll retire and help coach the young receivers. He did say that he'll always bleed Black/Gold now let's sit back and see what happens. I, along with all of you, love that man, respect that man, and will miss him and that smile on the field. Oh, by the way, now I have to console my daughter as she sleeps in he WARD jersey. :(

ALLD
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
He left in 2010. This past season he dropped way too many easy balls and took too many big hits. The writing is on the wall, but he was a hero.

atlsteelers
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
The sadest day as a sports fan for me. Knew it coming but I was hoping for another season. Ward an all time great steeler and a DGD.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Was this another dastardly deed done by Rooney?? First Arians, now Ward, what's next?? Aaron Smith, James Farrior...............will this man stop at nothing??:horror:

SteelGhost
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I know he had to go some day, but it's one of the saddest days, Hines was one of my favorite players.

I wish nothing but the best to our longtime hero Mr. Hines Ward :thumbsup:

86WARD
02-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I think we all knew this was coming and a majority of us held out hope that they would bring him back on the cheap...but it's time. I'll miss him and his play a lot as he was one of my favorite (if not favorite) Steeler of all time...

oneforthetoe
02-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Yep ... saw it coming, but that doesn't make it easier. I do hope he goes to the NFC. This should put us about 3 million under the cap.

katmandu
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Where's George Steinbrenner when you need him ? :rolleyes:

steelerdiva
02-29-2012, 08:24 PM
well this is so sad. hines is my favorite steeler. i don't want to see him with a different uniform on next year. i hope he retires now and goes into broadcasting. but im very upset i'll never get to see him in the steelers uniform again on sundays. goodbye hines http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/tear.gif

I'm with you...I can't see him with any other team.

Love you 86...you will always be a Steeler.

I will sho' nuff miss that smile!

Hindes204
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
DamnThere's not much else to say...you will be missed 86

steelerdude15
02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
This is one of the saddest days in Steelers history. The greatest receiver in team history is released..... This is not the way to honor him. One way to honor him is to issue the number eighty-six ever again. Thank you for everything you've done, a class act, great receiver, and honorable man.

zulater
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
This is one of the saddest days in Steelers history. The greatest receiver in team history is released..... This is not the way to honor him. One way to honor him is to issue the number eighty-six ever again. Thank you for everything you've done, a class act, great receiver, and honorable man.

I'm sure the Steelers will find some way to honor him in the future. But I don't think they'll unofficially retire his number. For some reason they don't seem to feel there's enough numbers in the 80's to go around. They've never taken 88 or 82 out of the rotation for even a minute. So I think they'll stay consistent with that in honor of Stallworth and Swann. But I could be wrong. Just my opinion and certainly not meant as a slight to Hines.

steelerdude15
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm sure the Steelers will find some way to honor him in the future. But I don't think they'll unofficially retire his number. For some reason they don't seem to feel there's enough numbers in the 80's to go around. They've never taken 88 or 82 out of the rotation for even a minute. So I think they'll stay consistent with that in honor of Stallworth and Swann. But I could be wrong. Just my opinion and certainly not meant as a slight to Hines.

It would be nice to see no one wear that number for at least this upcoming season.

touchdownward
02-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Although not unexpected, this is a hard slap in the groin.

86WARD
02-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm a little depressed over it...

steel striker
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
No doubt this does really suck and, there will never be another Hines Ward. A sad day and, yeah we all knew it coming. Still does not make it any easier and, I still was hoping he could spend one more year to mentor these young wr's we have. I'm going to miss that #86 with the smile on Sundays. Hines what a great steeler you have been thanks for everything.

Psycho Ward 86
02-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Was this another dastardly deed done by Rooney?? First Arians, now Ward, what's next?? Aaron Smith, James Farrior...............will this man stop at nothing??:horror:

why not smith? if ward AND smith get cut AND we get james harrison's contract restructured, we can more than likely franchise tag mike wallace. these are smart moves, not easy ones. the front office is doing what they have to do

steelreserve
02-29-2012, 11:25 PM

Ya i know, that guy does nothing but watch bangbus all day.

Austin87
03-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Sad sad day. I just hope Hines Ward retires or we re-sign him to a vet min 1 year contract, I really don't want to see him in another uniform. Hines was my favorite offensive player and one of my favorite all-time Steelers.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 05:22 AM
A couple things. First off, agree with this or not, it was almost certainly inevitable. He signed a 4-year deal in 2009 and he was 33 at the time. I think most of us realized that he would probably not see the end of that deal.

Secondly, Rooney handled this one better. If they really had to do this, it was best for him to be forthright and man-up and do this himself. No games, excuses, or passing the buck.

As for Ward, well, the vet minimum for a 15th year player is $985,000. I'm sad to see him go and I understand that this is a business first, but my worry is that the Steelers let him go, he signs that contract for a division rival, and we sign someone of equal or lessor talent for MORE than $985k. If there IS a way to get him back on the cheap, that should be a priority.

Bluecoat96
03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
A couple things. First off, agree with this or not, it was almost certainly inevitable. He signed a 4-year deal in 2009 and he was 33 at the time. I think most of us realized that he would probably not see the end of that deal.

Secondly, Rooney handled this one better. If they really had to do this, it was best for him to be forthright and man-up and do this himself. No games, excuses, or passing the buck.

As for Ward, well, the vet minimum for a 15th year player is $985,000. I'm sad to see him go and I understand that this is a business first, but my worry is that the Steelers let him go, he signs that contract for a division rival, and we sign someone of equal or lessor talent for MORE than $985k. If there IS a way to get him back on the cheap, that should be a priority.

Good on all points, but I look at the flip side as well. All of our division rivals have tape on him and can see the decline in his play as well. Even if they want to pump him for info, with a new OC, how helpful would that really be?

steelerdude15
03-01-2012, 09:07 AM

I don't think he'd do that to us, especially the Ravens. He doesn't like them at all.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Good on all points, but I look at the flip side as well. All of our division rivals have tape on him and can see the decline in his play as well. Even if they want to pump him for info, with a new OC, how helpful would that really be?

My concern is purely personal. Whether he can still play or not takes a backseat to my despising the idea of him playing for the Browns, or, worse, the Rats (even if he's "Francoing it")

If he's going to have one last fling (obviously he has something to prove to himself), I'd rather he do it for $985k ON THE STEELERS. Honestly, I can't see him getting much more than that elsewhere unless someone has a ton of cap room and they want him for his mentoring capabilities.

86WARD
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Like the Colts...

On a side note: Sounds like Farrior is as good as gone according to his agent. That should free up another $2m or so.

O'Malley
03-01-2012, 01:06 PM

So let me get this straight... It's okay this time because? I thought he was over stepping his bounds ala Jerry Jones... It's okay he cut Hines... But he is as bad as Jerry Jones when he stepped in and got rid of Arians? Convenient.. Not saying this is the wrong move.. Not the first time this has happen... Need to set the team up for the future... But it's comical how you think one way about an OC and then the other about the heart and sole of the offense... Your funny Suit.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 01:16 PM
So let me get this straight... It's okay this time because? I thought he was over stepping his bounds ala Jerry Jones... It's okay he cut Hines... But he is as bad as Jerry Jones when he stepped in and got rid of Arians? Convenient.. Not saying this is the wrong move.. Not the first time this has happen... Need to set the team up for the future... But it's comical how you think one way about an OC and then the other about the heart and sole of the offense... Your funny Suit.

The two situations are completely different. That's very obvious to anyone who IS NOT grinding axes or trying to win MB pissing matches or trying to salve a sore ass. The way Arians was handled is completely different than the way Hines was. He manned up this time and it was a straight piece of business. No going around the coaches or subjugating others wishes, no lack of explanation, just a straight up piece of football business.

Aside from the grammatical and spelling errors, you're also misquoting me. I NEVER compared Rooney to Jones.

O'Malley
03-01-2012, 01:23 PM
The two situations are completely different. That's very obvious to anyone who IS NOT grinding axes or trying to win MB pissing matches or trying to salve a sore ass. The way Arians was handled is completely different than the way Hines was. He manned up this time and it was a straight piece of business. No going around the coaches or subjugating others wishes, no lack of explanation, just a straight up piece of football business.

Aside from the grammatical and spelling errors, you're also misquoting me. I NEVER compared Rooney to Jones.

Yes you have... Sorry you can mark my grade down for spelling and grammer teacher! Your delusional..

suitanim
03-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes you have... Sorry you can mark my grade down for spelling and grammer teacher! Your delusional..

Find it then. In your myopic hatred and misdirected anger at me for challenging your opinion, I think you've inadvertently lumped me in with others.

But let's be clear. Rooney handled a couple pieces of business poorly. The way he went around Tomlin and caused him to lose face was not a straight-up piece of business. This was. That's a clear and obvious difference.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
I just did a search in my own posts for the words Jerry Jones. The result:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

ALLD
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM
I just did a search in my own posts for the words Jerry Jones. The result:

He is my father.

We are all surprised.

suitanim
03-01-2012, 03:23 PM
That doesn't even make any sense, but.....whatever.