PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire offensive quality control coach

fansince'76
02-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin has tentatively filled out his coaching staff with the hiring of Shaun Sarrett as the Steelers offensive quality control coach.

Sarrett, who has coached at Duke since 2008, replaces Harold Goodwin, who joined Bruce Arians as the line coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

Read more: Steelers hire offensive quality control coach (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12060/1213426-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml)

Craic
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Cool.

I didn't know players had a "freshness" date stamped on them. If we can get someone to check the dates and make sure their all made well, we'll have a great year!

:chuckle:

zulater
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM
This may be a temporary fix for Kirby Wilson, until he's ready to come back?

Craic
02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
This may be a temporary fix for Kirby Wilson, until he's ready to come back?

Yeah, but "Offensive Quality Control?" What's kind of title is that? I've heard it numerous time over the last few years. But every time I hear "quality control" all I can think of is

http://www.chicagolandrealestateforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mr-whipple.jpg

Don't squeeze the Charmin!

tube517
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, but "Offensive Quality Control?" What's kind of title is that? I've heard it numerous time over the last few years. But every time I hear "quality control" all I can think of is

http://www.chicagolandrealestateforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/mr-whipple.jpg

Don't squeeze the Charmin!

Mr. Whipple is our new quality control guy? :rofl2:

Texasteel
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Does quality control include time outs, and clock managment.:frusty:

Chidi29
02-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Another Duke guy. Seeing a trend.

Quality control is basically an entry level position, the lowest man on the totem pole. Usually puts together a basic scouting report for the team they're playing in two weeks so the other coaches have some sort of baseline to go off of. Sometimes they scout specific situations such as 3rd and long at home. Whatever the coaches ask, they do.

Guys like Charlie Batch won't automatically become QB coaches or OCs. They start out at quality control to see if they can handle the rigors of coaching. That's what is happening to former Steeler Jerry Olvasky, our defensive QC.

suitanim
02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
This is another example of possibly knocking down that 5th wall for the Pop Warner and High School caliber coaches, or layman who think that because they watch a couple football games a week that they actually have a clue about how the NFL runs. There are redundancies built into redundancies, NUMEROUS guys breaking down tape, examining trends, helping with game plans, etc...that's why I alsways have to laugh when the criticism and high-handed nonsense sets in from arm-chair, Monday-morning QB's second guessing OC's and their gameplans with perfect 20/20 hindsight.

When the Colts played the Saints in the Super Bowl, Peyton Manning had his back-up Jim Sorgi breaking down Saints defensive tape from their PRE-SEASON games. PRE-SEASON GAMES.

No stone goes unturned.

Psycho Ward 86
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
maybe Montgomery put in a good word for him? Everytime i hear the words "duke" and "hiring" in the same sentence involving the steelers though i cant help but cringe. The only things that come to mind for me when i hear the D word is great education, basketball, and sandy beaches. but thats it lol

smokin3000gt
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Does quality control include time outs, and clock managment.:frusty:

don't forget about false starts