PDA

View Full Version : What Went Wrong & How Do We Fix It? – Lawrence Timmons

shutdown
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/27/fantasy-what-went-wrong-how-do-we-fix-it-lawrence-timmons/

Upon entering the 2011 season there was a strong case to be made that Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker, Lawrence Timmons, was one of, if not the premier IDP prospect in the NFL. He was coming off a career year in 2010 that saw the former first round pick finish atop the PFF rankings at ILB (+31.6). The Steelers thought highly enough of Timmons as to reward him with a crisp, new, six-year, $50 million contract. This season, however, would prove to be a bit rougher for this heir apparent to the Steeler linebacking throne. That #1 PFF ranking? Sorry, try #29 (+3.8).

fansince'76
02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Would've helped if Woodley and Harrison stayed healthy and Timmons could've stayed inside, for one...

suitanim
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes. Playing one's actual position certainly helps.

Edman
02-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Take Ben Roethlisberger out of QB position and make him a reciever or a halfback. He won't be quite as effective wouldn't you think?

Timmons has been shuffled in and out because of injuries. Not his fault.

shutdown
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
That's how I mostly feel too. I was defending Timmons to a fellow Steeler fan (who claims Timmons "horrible" contract might cost us Wallace) that there were factors this season that allow me to cut Timmons some slack.

I love the guy and have defended him since day 1, but I kind of agree with some of the points this article made. There were times this year Timmons reverted back to looking confused, looked a little sluggish, and what not. How much of that was caused by playing OLB for those games and how much it impacted his play when he went back to ILB? I am not sure, but I can sort of agree with people saying overall at a high level maaaaybe his play in 2011 was a minor setback to the trenemdous strides he made in 2010.

SteelGhost
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
If he'd played ALL year at his position no way he'd be 29th in the league as the article says, Lawrence is a great player IMO

Count Steeler
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Let's not discount the impact of Farrior's game falling off. Our LBs this year were not cohesive and dominant as they usually are. Injuries had a major impact on them and the DL was not playing up to its standards either.

And yet we were still #1 overall. Go figure.