PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst Steelers draft picks by the round since 2000

zulater
02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
1st round. Best pick Troy Polamalu will walk into the Hall of Fame 5 years after he retires, so that would be an easy choice. Or so one would think. But the NFL is a quarterback driven league and when you get one that takes you to 3 Super Bowls in his first 8 seasons that's got to be your choice

Ben Roethlisberger 2004.

Honorable mention. Troy Polamalu 2003. Heath Miller 2005, Casey Hampton 2000.

1st round worst pick.

Kendall Simmons 2002

Colbert usually hits it out of the park in the first round. The one exception may have been Kendall Simmons. But even Simmons wasn't a total bust, and one could reasonably argue that if not for injuries and diabetes he could have been a pretty good guard.

2nd round

Best pick LaMarr Woodley 2007. Great edge rusher, always excels in postseason.

Honorable mention. Marvel Smith. 2000. Above average left tackle for a number of years. ( hopefully Marcus Gilbert 2nd rd. 2011 will be the next Marvel)

worst pick.

Alonzo Jackson 2003. How can you have that much athleticism and not even be able to contribute on special teams? :frusty: Wasted a roster spot for 2 seasons to many.

dishonorable mentions.
Ricardo Colclough 2004, Limas Sweed 2008

3rd round

Best pick

Mike Wallace 2009

honorable mention Max Starks 2004

worst pick

Bruce Davis 2008

dishonorable mention. Willie Reid 2006

4th round

Best pick

Ike Taylor 2003

honorable mention Larry Foote 2002

5th round

best pick

Clark Haggans 2000

honorable mention William Gay 2007

worst pick Tee Martin ( some qb from Mich was still on the board I've heard :wink02: )

dishonorable mention Omar Jacobs 2006

6th round

Antonio Brown 2010. easiest choice made on this thread!

honorable mention Chris Kemoeatu 2005. good value for a 6th rounder despite recent play

worst pick

Bo Lacy 2004. The dude's first name was Gay! Literally it was Gay, and if your name is Gay, you better have some game!

dishonorable mention. none 6th round picks and lower are a shot in the dark.

7th
Best pick

Brett Keisel 2002. Da Beard!

Honorable mention. Baron Batch 2011? No one else from that round's made an impression, perhaps Barron can?

polamalubeast
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
The draft of 2003 and 2004 is the reason why the Steelers have played three super bowl.

Without its two years, I think the Steelers would not have participated in the super bowl.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Give Tony Hills a 4th round worst.

Give AQ Shipley an all hype worst for 7th round. Considering we traded away Sean Mahan for a 7th round pick that was Shipley.......there was some value in him, by helping get that guy out of town.

zulater
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Give Tony Hills a 4th round worst.

Give AQ Shipley an all hype worst for 7th round. Considering we traded away Sean Mahan for a 7th round pick that was Shipley.......there was some value in him, by helping get that guy out of town.

Oh yeah I forgot to put a 4th round worst! :doh: I was going to go with Fred Gibson from 2005 for that. But your's is good too, or rather bad. :lol:

suitanim
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm going back one year, but Scott Shields was a ridiculous waste of a SECOND ROUND pick.

Also, give Colclough a break. That was the Steelers reaching, and he did contribute on special teams and as a nickel and dime back. They rolled the dice on a small school guy based on measurables and decent play in the college all-star game (can't recall which one it was) he played in. Unlike Shields (also a small school reach) who did nothing, he at least contributed.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
what about drafting a punter that's been hurt every season?

tube517
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to put a 4th round worst! :doh: I was going to go with Fred Gibson from 2005 for that. But your's is good too, or rather bad. :lol:

Gibson was worse than Hills but that's not saying much

SteelMember
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Danny Farmer could easily fit at this 4 spot with Gibson.

zulater
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm going back one year, but Scott Shields was a ridiculous waste of a SECOND ROUND pick.

Also, give Colclough a break. That was the Steelers reaching, and he did contribute on special teams and as a nickel and dime back. They rolled the dice on a small school guy based on measurables and decent play in the college all-star game (can't recall which one it was) he played in. Unlike Shields (also a small school reach) who did nothing, he at least contributed.

Scott Shields was bad, but he doesn't fit in the threads guidelines.

And to me the small school excuse doesn't hold mustard. Just looking at our current roster I see a player from Central Michigan (Antonio Brown) a guy from the wrong Miami ( Big Ben) some fellow from Kent State ( Harrison) and a guy from Northern Colorada. ( Aaron Smith) Colclough was a bad second round pick. Not saying he's a bad guy, not saying he's to blame, but he wasn't a very good football player, certainly not one worthy of the 38th overall pick in that draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Gibson was worse than Hills but that's not saying much

I agree. Gibson a bigger bust. Did he even make it out of training camp? Orien Harris thought he had a long career.

Danny Farmer could easily fit at this 4 spot with Gibson.

Not so true, Farmer went on to play a couple seasons with the Bungles as I think the 3rd or 4th WR. Fred Gibson went straight to the lumberyard and put in an application.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I have to say that Sweed was one of the worst picks that I can remember.

SteelMember
02-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Not so true, Farmer went on to play a couple seasons with the Bungles as I think the 3rd or 4th WR. Fred Gibson went straight to the lumberyard and put in an application.

Well, if we're going to give some leeway to guys that we picked that didn't do much here, but may have done "something" on another team... :chuckle:

suitanim
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Miami, Kent State and Central Michigan are all D-1 schools. They all, at least a couple times a year, play top-notch competition.

Weber State (Shields) and Tusculum (Colclough) really don't count. The competition is always inferior. Even Louisiana Lafayette (Ike Taylor) was a step up from where Shields and Colclough were coming from.

Point being, if you reach into D-II or even D-III, you'll have 25 Scott Shields for every one Pierre Garcon (Mount Union).

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
what about drafting a punter that's been hurt every season?

Ill give him a pass just for his two fake punts. Plus the ladies love him so no hate there :lol:

zulater
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Miami, Kent State and Central Michigan are all D-1 schools. They all, at least a couple times a year, play top-notch competition.

Weber State (Shields) and Tusculum (Colclough) really don't count. The competition is always inferior. Even Louisiana Lafayette (Ike Taylor) was a step up from where Shields and Colclough were coming from.

Point being, if you reach into D-II or even D-III, you'll have 25 Scott Shields for every one Pierre Garcon (Mount Union).

Nate Washington was the first ever player from his college to make an NFL team. Not only did he make it with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent, he's also carved out a pretty good NFL career.

Sorry, but coming from a small college isn't an excuse. Colclough was given a fair chance. He just didn't have NFL game.

If he had been drafted in a later round I wouldn't have brought him up. But not only was he drafted in the second round, he was also drafted early in the second round by Steeler standards. 38th is about 20 picks earlier than our usual 2nd round pick. By Kevin Colbert standards he's a bust.

zulater
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Ill give him a pass just for his two fake punts. Plus the ladies love him so no hate there :lol:

At least he made the the 53 man roster. Several 4th round picks can't say the same.

st33lersguy
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
The best first round pick is Ben. If it weren't for that pick, we would have watched the 2005, 2008, and 2010 teams fall short of the Super Bowl because of crappy QB play

SteelGhost
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
The best first round pick is Ben. If it weren't for that pick, we would have watched the 2005, 2008, and 2010 teams fall short of the Super Bowl because of crappy QB play

Hands down st33lersguy :tea:

steelreserve
02-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Couclough has to be at the top of the list for second-round busts. The other guys just contributed nothing. Colclough actually made the team worse. I still remember him singlehandedly costing us a game against the Bengals with a fumbled punt return, and he played horrible defense too. It doesn't matter whether he came from Michigan or North South Central University of Tennessee Mississippi State. Poor play from a second-round draft pick is poor play from a second-round draft pick, period.

GoSlash27
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
And to me the small school excuse doesn't hold mustard. Just looking at our current roster I see a player from Central Michigan (Antonio Brown) a guy from the wrong Miami ( Big Ben) some fellow from Kent State ( Harrison) and a guy from Northern Colorada.
Yeah. And let's not forget that guy from Bowie State.

zulater
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah. And let's not forget that guy from Bowie State.

Good one!

Butch
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Not sure if anybody here remembers a guy named Troy Edwards??? Just sayin'. Sorry for bringing back such horrible memories if any of you remember.

Butch
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Couclough has to be at the top of the list for second-round busts. The other guys just contributed nothing. Colclough actually made the team worse. I still remember him singlehandedly costing us a game against the Bengals with a fumbled punt return, and he played horrible defense too. It doesn't matter whether he came from Michigan or North South Central University of Tennessee Mississippi State. Poor play from a second-round draft pick is poor play from a second-round draft pick, period.

I would have to go Limas on this one.

tube517
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Not sure if anybody here remembers a guy named Troy Edwards??? Just sayin'. Sorry for bringing back such horrible memories if any of you remember.

He was drafted in 1999. The original post is since 2000. But, yeah, I put that draft pick out of my memory.

Butch
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
He was drafted in 1999. The original post is since 2000. But, yeah, I put that draft pick out of my memory.

LOL ya' but since we didn't have a 1st round bust figured he was a good candidate and since it was only one year off it was worth a shot.

BlastFurnace
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

I was all amped up to get Jevon Kearse...and then Donahoe pulled the rug right out from under me. Easily, the most disappointed I have ever been on draft day when he picked Edwards over Kearse.

I also can't believe that Sweed was only mentioned once. He was the worst pick of the decade.

steelreserve
02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I would have to go Limas on this one.

He was no prize either, but he mostly just couldn't stay healthy. I had to go with the guy who actually played and sucked.

zulater
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Of course I do. But he was drafted in 99. Pre Colbert era. Thus he doesn't make the cut.

zulater
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I was all amped up to get Jevon Kearse...and then Donahoe pulled the rug right out from under me. Easily, the most disappointed I have ever been on draft day when he picked Edwards over Kearse.

I also can't believe that Sweed was only mentioned once. He was the worst pick of the decade.

No he wasn't. I'd give that to Alonzo Jackson, followed by Bruce Davis. Sweed actually had some ability. He used to get good separation from defensive backs. He just couldn't catch the damn ball.

Zo, and Bruce had no game whatsoever. I think the other team could clear a path to the quarterback and neither of those bums would have found their way there.

tube517
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
LOL ya' but since we didn't have a 1st round bust figured he was a good candidate and since it was only one year off it was worth a shot.

If you are going outside of the 2000's 2 names are worse than Edwards: Huey Richardson and Jamain Stephens. Case closed. :chuckle: