PDA

View Full Version : Steelers could opt for nose tackle

stillers4me
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
There would appear to be less and less room in the pass-happy NFL for space-consuming, run-stuffers who don't play on throwing downs.

Not that Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert buys that nose tackles are creeping toward Jurassic status just because 10 players threw for more than 4,000 yards last season.

"You can't get to third down if you don't stop them on first and second down," Colbert said.
Translation: Nose tackle is still one of the team's most important positions.

The Steelers figure to make finding an eventual successor to Casey Hampton one of their priorities as they piece together their draft board. And two of the more highly regarded defensive players offered glimpses Saturday as to why tackle is one of the deeper positions in the draft........

Read more: Steelers could opt for nose tackle - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783643.html#ixzz1nVJUgOrk) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783643.html#ixzz1nVJUgOrk

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
If the Steelers draft another DE high, when they already have Hood, Heyward, Keisel, McClendon on the roster.....I'll be more upset than when they picked Bruce Davis.

LLT
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
it seems to me that the first pick has to be a NT or ILB...just based on the value. Dark Horse is still a OL if Poe and Hightower are off the board.

steelreserve
02-26-2012, 08:04 PM
We've needed the NT of the future for about the last three drafts, and not only didn't address it but passed over some likely candidates who were available. I wouldn't be surprised if we skipped it again for god knows what reason. Maybe they expect Hampton to keep playing until 2026.

86WARD
02-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Poe ... FTW!

Godfather
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Poe ... FTW!

Nah, a guy named Poe HAS to go to Baltimore.

steelerdiva
02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Nah, a guy named Poe HAS to go to Baltimore.

Bite your tongue, Mister!!

Poe is a diamond in the rough! Trust me!

Psycho Ward 86
02-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Poe got an impressive 44 reps at the combine today. Id be happy with Poe, Mark Barron, or a good tackle that should still be left on the board like Cordy Glenn

Steeldude
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
My choice for NT is Josh Chapman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
My choice for NT is Josh Chapman.

I'm OK with Chapman, but really a bit concerned with having 2 NT's coming off ACL surgery on the roster. Might be a decent guy to spend a 3rd or later on if he checks out medically.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2012, 09:56 AM
If the Steelers draft another DE high, when they already have Hood, Heyward, Keisel, McClendon on the roster.....I'll be more upset than when they picked Bruce Davis.

but Davis was a 3rd rounder wasn't he? I get he was a miss, but the bigger miss was the 2nd rounder Sweed

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
but Davis was a 3rd rounder wasn't he? I get he was a miss, but the bigger miss was the 2nd rounder Sweed

Consider the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks of Sweed, Davis, Hills all a miss. If we wanted to stay with the same positions, the Steelers could have taken Early Doucet in the 2nd, Cliff Avril in the 3rd and Carl Nicks in the 4th.

and before all the naysayers start crying about hindsight. Many draftniks had Doucet as a successor to Ward. Avril a top pass rusher and Nicks a big nasty O lineman. The average fan that watched the combine from home could have picked those 3 rounds better.

I personally was yelling at the TV to take Jeremy Zuttah when our 2nd pick was up. Then Anthony Collins when we passed on O line again and then Carl Nicks when we drafted Hills.

Dino 6 Rings
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Consider the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks of Sweed, Davis, Hills all a miss. If we wanted to stay with the same positions, the Steelers could have taken Early Doucet in the 2nd, Cliff Avril in the 3rd and Carl Nicks in the 4th.

and before all the naysayers start crying about hindsight. Many draftniks had Doucet as a successor to Ward. Avril a top pass rusher and Nicks a big nasty O lineman. The average fan that watched the combine from home could have picked those 3 rounds better.

I personally was yelling at the TV to take Jeremy Zuttah when our 2nd pick was up. Then Anthony Collins when we passed on O line again and then Carl Nicks when we drafted Hills.

Hindsight suggests that was not a great draft year for sure.

LLT
02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

LOL...I remember you being upset the very next day.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM

yeah, with all the help we needed at O line, the PG headlines all talked about "giving Ben weapons to keep him from getting sacked so much". I tried to be optimistic, but could not understand why we took Hills instead of Nicks.

Then, after watching tape on Bruce Davis, you could clearly see that he ran around blockers a lot to get his sacks. That won't cut it in the NFL as you are gonna have to take on the block and make the play. its a bit of the same criticizm that I hear of Vontaze Burfict and is why I hope we dont take him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Foresight from LLT, Tex, Aussie, Steelmember and others would have suggested it wasnt gonna be a good draft year.

suitanim
02-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Wuthchootalkin about? Sweed just needs another year or two!

Texasteel
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM

Gonzo? Upset? I was checking around to see were to send the flowers.

Texasteel
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM

Considering what we could of had,,,,,,,,,,,,, that year sucked. I think all the talking heads gave us a B- on that F###### thing to.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Gonzo? Upset? I was checking around to see were to send the flowers.
I think you got yourself flowers because Hawkeye Mike Humpal got drafted. :lol:

Texasteel
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I think you got yourself flowers because Hawkeye Mike Humpal got drafted. :lol:

Yea,, It was short lived though. :doh:

Psycho Ward 86
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Dammmnn! And now Poe just ran a freakin 4.98 40 yard dash. A 346lb guy? The combine never tells the whole story but good lord. He's never making it to pick #24 after that.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Dammmnn! And now Poe just ran a freakin 4.98 40 yard dash. A 346lb guy? The combine never tells the whole story but good lord. He's never making it to pick #24 after that.

yeah that guy is a freak of nature, now way we get him. I think we'll go Oline first round again this year, especially since none of the NTs are going to be on the boards at 24.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 11:56 AM
yeah that guy is a freak of nature, now way we get him. I think we'll go Oline first round again this year, especially since none of the NTs are going to be on the boards at 24.

I think Ta'amu will be there. Maybe trade back and still get him plus another draft pick.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I think Ta'amu will be there. Maybe trade back and still get him plus another draft pick.

that's a pretty big dude in the middle if he is there...I like the youth movement we've seen lately on the D Line, the NT being the only gap left to fill there...I hear all kinds of ILB talk too...think we'll do that?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
that's a pretty big dude in the middle if he is there...I like the youth movement we've seen lately on the D Line, the NT being the only gap left to fill there...I hear all kinds of ILB talk too...think we'll do that?

I think this is a good year for OG/C depth, so why jump at #24 for a guy, when you can get one in the 2nd or 3rd. I think it comes down to who is there ILB or NT at #24....or if there is a trade partner, then trade down and still get ILB or NT and another pick.

Honestly, I think if Poe is gone and we dont pick Ta'amu, then Denver takes him as the anchor for their 3-4 defense. At the least, then Indy takes Ta'amu for their defense at the top of the 2nd round

Texasteel
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM

I think the only way we go OL is if there is a OT that the Steelers think will line up on the left side for a long time. The way things look today, my bet would have to be Hightower, or a trade up, (not likely), or a trade down.

LLT
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I think this is a good year for OG/C depth, so why jump at #24 for a guy, when you can get one in the 2nd or 3rd. I think it comes down to who is there ILB or NT at #24....or if there is a trade partner, then trade down and still get ILB or NT and another pick.

Honestly, I think if Poe is gone and we dont pick Ta'amu, then Denver takes him as the anchor for their 3-4 defense. At the least, then Indy takes Ta'amu for their defense at the top of the 2nd round

I could see a scenerio where (based on other teams moves) we could see:

1) Hightower
2) Zietler

and the thrird round pick being either NT's Ta'amu or Fangupo ....depending on how high the two of them rise after the combine and pro days.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I think the only way we go OL is if there is a OT that the Steelers think will line up on the left side for a long time. The way things look today, my bet would have to be Hightower, or a trade up, (not likely), or a trade down.

but what about a LG that we draft round 1, that can start day 1 and allows us to get rid of Chris K?

LLT
02-28-2012, 01:33 PM
but what about a LG that we draft round 1, that can start day 1 and allows us to get rid of Chris K?

The talent level at OG this year is VERY deep....I think there are several OGs with starting potential that carry a 2nd round tag...Kevin Zeitler....Amini Silatolu....Senio Kelemete. Positions like ILB carry more value because the drop off after Hightower is significant.

In a nutshell...The Steelers would rather have a tandom of Hightower/Zietler...then one of Glenn/Burfict

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I could see a scenerio where (based on other teams moves) we could see:

1) Hightower
2) Zietler

and the thrird round pick being either NT's Ta'amu or Fangupo ....depending on how high the two of them rise after the combine and pro days.

I am good with that 2. Was reading where several scouts at the Combine think Zeitler is the best run blocker in the draft at OG. I think Ta'amu will be gone before pick #40 . Fangupo might be the #4 or 5 NT off the board and could be around in the 3rd.

I think Zeitler will be gone before we pick in the 2nd, but like you say. Lots of other OG's available.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM

I still dont know about a guy starting day one anyways, but likely we will have Foster, Legursky, Chris Scott on the roster too.

zulater
02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I still dont know about a guy starting day one anyways, but likely we will have Foster, Legursky, Chris Scott on the roster too.

Pouncey started day one. Gilbert was starting by week 3 right? Of course that was due to injury, but once in, he never embarrassed himself. If you draft a lineman that early, it's not unreasonable to think he can play early though.

Texasteel
02-28-2012, 02:52 PM
The talent level at OG this year is VERY deep....I think there are several OGs with starting potential that carry a 2nd round tag...Kevin Zeitler....Amini Silatolu....Senio Kelemete. Positions like ILB carry more value because the drop off after Hightower is significant.

In a nutshell...The Steelers would rather have a tandom of Hightower/Zietler...then one of Glenn/Burfict

I think you may be able to add one more name to that list, Brandon Brooks, if he has a good pro day. By the way, I hear Brooks is a little pissed of for been left out of the combine. Hell, I think Ryan Miller might get Kemo out of the starting line up before to far into the season.

Just a side note,,,,,,,,,,, I read yesterday that most the scout asked have said that they would not touch Burfict at all. The kids temperment has cost him big time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Pouncey started day one. Gilbert was starting by week 3 right? Of course that was due to injury, but once in, he never embarrassed himself. If you draft a lineman that early, it's not unreasonable to think he can play early though.

Yes, its not unreasonable, but unlikely. I dont want to get into the whole discussion about expecting 1st rounders to play and all. The stats show that rookie draft picks dont often start on opening day, unless they are on a crappy team.

I think you may be able to add one more name to that list, Brandon Brooks, if he has a good pro day. By the way, I hear Brooks is a little pissed of for been left out of the combine. .

Yeah, I heard Brooks had a good Shrine game and might be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I still like Osemele in that mix too. Lots of serviceable O linemen in the draft.

Texasteel
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I heard Brooks had a good Shrine game and might be a 2nd-3rd round pick. I still like Osemele in that mix too. Lots of serviceable O linemen in the draft.

I would love Osemele as well, I just have an idea that he gos early, early in the 2nd.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I would love Osemele as well, I just have an idea that he gos early, early in the 2nd.

I am hoping that Zeitler, Konz, Silatolu will all leapfrog him and maybe he will be there at our pick in the 2nd. Think he can play RT or OG. Might be able to grab another O lineman in the 4th.

Texasteel
02-28-2012, 07:09 PM
I am hoping that Zeitler, Konz, Silatolu will all leapfrog him and maybe he will be there at our pick in the 2nd. Think he can play RT or OG. Might be able to grab another O lineman in the 4th.

I think that the fact he can play RT and OG will be one of the reasons he won't get leapfroged, but if he is, that will not break my heart. He is one of the OGs that I think could start right away. As far as another O lineman in the 4th, what would you think about Nate Potter? I think the kid has a bunch of talent, but just need to gain some strength, and maybe 10 or 15 lbs. If Gilbert should not make it at LT, I think Potter could, with a little work.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I think that the fact he can play RT and OG will be one of the reasons he won't get leapfroged, but if he is, that will not break my heart. He is one of the OGs that I think could start right away. As far as another O lineman in the 4th, what would you think about Nate Potter? I think the kid has a bunch of talent, but just need to gain some strength, and maybe 10 or 15 lbs. If Gilbert should not make it at LT, I think Potter could, with a little work.

I think Potter would be a good gamble in the 4th. He has the skills of a premium pass protector and 3 years of starting at Boise St. I would just like to see him get stronger. The best he can hope to be would be a Jordan Gross kind of guy that isnt thick in the lower body, but strong enough and athletic enough to be a really good LT.

SteelMember
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd just like to put it out there that Atlanta doesn't have a 1st rounder and they are in need of o-linemen also. So don't be surprised if a guy that may be falling into our laps suddenly gets drafted a pick before us. It's will probably happen... and it's gonna suck.

Texasteel
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd just like to put it out there that Atlanta doesn't have a 1st rounder and they are in need of o-linemen also. So don't be surprised if a guy that may be falling into our laps suddenly gets drafted a pick before us. It's will probably happen... and it's gonna suck.

That is something we need to watch for, and I would not be against trying to move up a few picks to get the OG we want. Even if it cost us one of the lower draft guys I like.

SteelMember
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Poe moves to the top 10...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/steve-wyche/90100?module=HP11_cp

I don't really care for this mock, but you do have to consider with the great combine he had, Poe may have pushed himself way out of our reach.

I would prefer Perry, Barron or Hightower before Osemele.

suitanim
02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
The order will change 20 times in the next 60 or so days...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2012, 07:40 PM

I don't really care for this mock, but you do have to consider with the great combine he had, Poe may have pushed himself way out of our reach.

A Steve Wyche mock draft........I never thought you would stoop so low.

I especially like the part where he says the Chargers look to an area of need with the injury concerns about Marcus McNeil. Cordy Glenn doesnt have the agility to play LT in the NFL.

GBMelBlount
02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Pouncey started day one. Gilbert was starting by week 3 right?

Of course that was due to injury, but once in, he never embarrassed himself.

If you draft a lineman that early, it's not unreasonable to think he can play early though.

Especially for Steelers....

GBMelBlount
02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Poe is history...

st33lersguy
02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
It stinks that Poe is out of our reach. Let's hope another nose tackle prospect shoots to the late first round range

Texasteel
03-01-2012, 06:01 AM
It stinks that Poe is out of our reach. Let's hope another nose tackle prospect shoots to the late first round range

If Poe moves up like everyone expects, that could move Jerel Worthy to the 24th pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Do you think that Worthy is a NT or really a 3-technique??
If Poe moves up like everyone expects, that could move Jerel Worthy to the 24th pick.

SteelMember
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
A Steve Wyche mock draft........I never thought you would stoop so low.

I especially like the part where he says the Chargers look to an area of need with the injury concerns about Marcus McNeil. Cordy Glenn doesnt have the agility to play LT in the NFL.

HEY Mister! :buttkick:

It was merely a vehicle to illustrate how so many use these combine numbers to drastically change their minds... When most of them say it's just a gauge to re-check their tape. :lol:

I realize that it's a piece of crap, but the fact he didn't even have Poe in the 1st round previously says volumes of how he builds his mocks. Kinda like the "predicted" Browns trade. He put it in, so now he looks really smart.

Texasteel
03-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Do you think that Worthy is a NT or really a 3-technique??

An interesting question. Would Worthy do better lining up outside the guard? Yes I think he probably would. Does that mean he could not play, and do a good job, covering the center? No, in fact I think he has the stength and the intial bust that would not only make the center life miserable, but take on a double team the he would no doubt be facing often. After all, aren't we talking about playing Hood at NT, and I believe he was considered a 5 technique. This brings us to the question. Do we draft a 3 technique player in the 1st round, or a lesser player in the 2nd or 3rd round that may be a true NT? I think the answer may depend on, who is still there in the 1st round, and who we think will be available later on.

Take Martin out of Michigan, I think he is a 3 technique DT, but I have seen some question if he could not play NT for us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
HEY Mister! :buttkick:

It was merely a vehicle to illustrate how so many use these combine numbers to drastically change their minds... When most of them say it's just a gauge to re-check their tape. :lol:

I realize that it's a piece of crap, but the fact he didn't even have Poe in the 1st round previously says volumes of how he builds his mocks. Kinda like the "predicted" Browns trade. He put it in, so now he looks really smart.
Yeah, I kind of figured that. :salute:

An interesting question. Would Worthy do better lining up outside the guard? Yes I think he probably would. Does that mean he could not play, and do a good job, covering the center? No, in fact I think he has the stength and the intial bust that would not only make the center life miserable, but take on a double team the he would no doubt be facing often. After all, aren't we talking about playing Hood at NT, and I believe he was considered a 5 technique. This brings us to the question. Do we draft a 3 technique player in the 1st round, or a lesser player in the 2nd or 3rd round that may be a true NT? I think the answer may depend on, who is still there in the 1st round, and who we think will be available later on.

Take Martin out of Michigan, I think he is a 3 technique DT, but I have seen some question if he could not play NT for us.

I think the talk of Hood or Martin playing NT for us is just a band aid. Not really the guys they want for the long haul at NT if playing the 3-4.