PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: Big changes unlikely for Steelers under Haley

stillers4me
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Ben Roethlisberger likely doesn't have to worry that the Steelers offense could be set back two or three years if new offensive coordinator Todd Haley implements changes.

General manager Kevin Colbert said it is difficult and not very practical for a coordinator to make wholesale changes when the team has been largely successful.

He equated Haley's arrival to when Mike Tomlin replaced Bill Cowher as head coach in 2007 and inherited one of the best defenses in the league.

"I think any coach coming into a situation, just as Mike did when we were a 3-4 team, he looked at what we did and how we did it and decided maybe he wants to add his personal touches," Colbert said. "But, for the most part, [the defense] hasn't changed.................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12056/1212577-66.stm#ixzz1nPivPDCG

salamander
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Better sharpen those pitchforks. :chuckle:

zulater
02-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Just keep those bubble screen's coming coach Haley! :chuckle: :wink02:

btw wide receiver screens are a valuable part of the Steelers arsenal. They work way more often than they fail. They're also valuable in setting up wr slants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
you mean he isnt going to try and set things back 2 or 3 years by completely running a new offense?? I am shocked.

Just wait, that meddling Rooney will still mess things up.

ALLD
02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I think they will be thinking about how to make the offense more unpredictable, efficient and increase scoring. Hopefully to take all the pressure off the defense, so if there is a mistake made on that side of the ball it is not catastrophic.

tube517
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
you mean he isnt going to try and set things back 2 or 3 years by completely running a new offense?? I am shocked.

Just wait, that meddling Rooney will still mess things up.

Rooney will be on the sidelines ala Jerry Jones calling plays in Tomlin's ears.

X-Terminator
02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Uh yeah...Haley himself said as much in his press conference...

fansince'76
02-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Rooney will be on the sidelines ala Jerry Jones calling plays in Tomlin's ears.

http://theterrace.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/skeletor-2.jpg

In case anyone is wondering what I'm referencing here: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11230-Jason-Pierre-Paul-blocks-Dan-Bailey-s-FG-Try-Giants-beat-Cowboys?p=241012#post241012

:lol:

86WARD
02-25-2012, 07:46 PM
So is Haley going to learn the language of the Steelers? It's not very often that you get a coordinator to come in from outside and learn the language of the team instead of the team learning the coordinators language. It's actually pretty huge if that is indeed what is taking place...

O'Malley
02-25-2012, 08:25 PM
So is Haley going to learn the language of the Steelers? It's not very often that you get a coordinator to come in from outside and learn the language of the team instead of the team learning the coordinators language. It's actually pretty huge if that is indeed what is taking place...

The "language" of the Cardinals is almost a mirror to the Steelers.... I'm pretty sure Haley knows the verbage..

86WARD
02-25-2012, 08:46 PM
From what I have heard Arians' language was a bit different than Haley's...

GBMelBlount
02-25-2012, 09:29 PM
General manager Kevin Colbert said He equated Haley's arrival to when Mike Tomlin replaced Bill Cowher as head coach in 2007 and inherited one of the best defenses in the league except for the fact that the Steelers offense sucked this past year.

Read more: http://www.com/pg/12056/1212577-6666.stm#ixzz1nPivPDCG

Well said.

Godfather
02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
So Haley is going to run the same bonehead offense? FIRE HALEY!!!

86WARD
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Well said.

Head coach inheriting a team and keeping a DC is a little bit different than hiring a coordinator as a replacement. The logical thing to me for any new coordinator coming in to a team is for him to learn the teams language and apply it to his playbook. It's easier to teach one guy than 25, 26, 27, 28...whatever it might be. However, it rarely works that way in the coaching world. Usually it's the team learning the language of said coach.

I hope Haley applies the language to his playbook...it'll help those young guys like Brown and Sanders immensely!!!!

tube517
02-26-2012, 12:15 AM
http://theterrace.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/skeletor-2.jpg

In case anyone is wondering what I'm referencing here: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/11230-Jason-Pierre-Paul-blocks-Dan-Bailey-s-FG-Try-Giants-beat-Cowboys?p=241012#post241012

:lol:

:rofl2:

tube517
02-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Better sharpen those pitchforks. :chuckle:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E195qKOiHmg/THMGZ7CYVNI/AAAAAAAAAbA/7RwunzInfMU/s1600/pitchfork.jpg

:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Head coach inheriting a team and keeping a DC is a little bit different than hiring a coordinator as a replacement. The logical thing to me for any new coordinator coming in to a team is for him to learn the teams language and apply it to his playbook. It's easier to teach one guy than 25, 26, 27, 28...whatever it might be. However, it rarely works that way in the coaching world. Usually it's the team learning the language of said coach.

I hope Haley applies the language to his playbook...it'll help those young guys like Brown and Sanders immensely!!!!

I agree with you.

I had playfully tweaked the quote and only said that in gest.

suitanim
02-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Quite frankly, I'd much rather hear the same people bellyache about not converting a 3rd and 7 by us PASSING and failing, then running and failing.

Either way, all the same people will be after Haley's head by week 3 regardless of what he does.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
But if Haley is successful, some will cite that he just kept the offense of their beloved Colts OC and that is why the success.

Either way, I am pleased that Art Rooney II influenced the team that he owns, to make an effort at improving the offense, because it was not getting any better with the status quo.

86WARD
02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I think some people are taking this article way too literally. Haley's not going to run Arians playbook...lol.

O'Malley
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Quite frankly, I'd much rather hear the same people bellyache about not converting a 3rd and 7 by us PASSING and failing, then running and failing.

Either way, all the same people will be after Haley's head by week 3 regardless of what he does.

Wow!!!! You really want Haley to fail!!! Arians is gone.... Time to move on, this argument is getting old.

suitanim
02-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Wow!!!! You really want Haley to fail!!! Arians is gone.... Time to move on, this argument is getting old.

Re-read what I stated: I emphatically do NOT want Haley to fail. I simply want our team, built to pass, in a passing league, where two passing teams just played for the Championship, to PASS THE BALL.

As a corollary to that, I also stated that there will be people complaining pretty much no matter what happens and who the coordinator is. Unless we run the ball 80% of the time and average 9 points a game, that will not be me...

O'Malley
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Re-read what I stated: I emphatically do NOT want Haley to fail. I simply want our team, built to pass, in a passing league, where two passing teams just played for the Championship, to PASS THE BALL.

As a corollary to that, I also stated that there will be people complaining pretty much no matter what happens and who the coordinator is. Unless we run the ball 80% of the time and average 9 points a game, that will not be me...

Good point! I don't see much change, just plays that didn't produce out and plays that do produce in..

suitanim
02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Good point! I don't see much change, just plays that didn't produce out and plays that do produce in..

That's not going to happen. Until people understand that one play just sets up another, and every play cannot work every time, there will always be plays that do not produce every time. The bubble screen is a perfect example. Haley (who knows more than all of us combined) knows that. And I expect he will keep the play in the book...

O'Malley
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
That's not going to happen. Until people understand that one play just sets up another, and every play cannot work every time, there will always be plays that do not produce every time. The bubble screen is a perfect example. Haley (who knows more than all of us combined) knows that. And I expect he will keep the play in the book...

That's funny how you automatically think I was refering to the Bubble Sctreen.. Your favorite play.. I think most, if not all people in this forum understand how one play sets up the next.. I'm actually talking red zone plays and the ability of Haley to call plays that put the ball in the end zone instead of kicking field goals... But interperate it how you will..

suitanim
02-28-2012, 05:31 AM
All roads seem to lead back to direct criticism of Arians, and ignoring the half dozen or so mitigating factors that also contributed to our red zone failures. Haley will have as little control over those factors as Arians did..."Calling plays that don't produce" is a canard...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Canard is french for duck. Haley may have to duck after calling the first "sprint draw" that does not work, as that apparently is his version of the bubble screen.

Red zone problems with a pass heavy, finesse offense is not uncommon. It really was the achilles heel of the run n shoot offenses in the NFL. When run game is de-emphasized and the field gets shorter, its tougher to pass. I will be interested to see what kind of changes, if any happen on our Offensive line and if they get a chance to be the aggressor or the defender more often.

SteelerEmpire
02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
The Raven's had figured out this offense and know's it from left to right, front to back. I think Haley should begin to make changes right away, gradually, but start immediately.

suitanim
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
The Raven's had figured out this offense and know's it from left to right, front to back. I think Haley should begin to make changes right away, gradually, but start immediately.

If they did, then why in the World would their ex-DC hire the guy who he "figured out" to be his OC with his new team in his one and possibly only shot at a HC gig? That doesn't track.

If one looks objectively back over the last season, there were mistakes, a lack of discipline, bad (and stupid penalties) and a LOT of turnovers in the redzone. It's tough to realistically blame the OC for those kinds of mistakes (but it IS easy).

Look at just two games, the Chiefs and the Browns. There were fumbles that crushed scoring drives by usually sure-handed Hines Ward, Mewelde Moore, and Heath Miller. Kemo wiffed on blocks on two plays in the failed four attempts to run it in against the Browns at the goalline.

If we repeat these kinds of behaviors next year, it's not going to matter who the OC is or what kinds of plays he calls, we will fail inside the 20 again.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
We are still going to pass the ball a ton. I think it'll just be some "tweaking" as the Ownership requested 2 seasons ago. Maybe some more runs inside the 20, less of the Bubble Screens, but keeping the quick Option pass out to the WR for Ben to go to.

Which, there is a difference, a Bubble Screen involves a called play, with pre-planned blocking assignments by the line and the WRs, the Quick Pop Up out from under Center, throw out to the WR when the DB is playing 12 yards off, is NOT a bubble screen. Its a QB Option, play in the huddle is one thing, he looks over, sees the DB playing 12 yards off and gives a little head nod and tosses the ball out there. We'll still see plenty of that as well as the fake quick throw out inside hand off stuff we run too.

I'd like a second good TE. Miller is awesome, if we could get someone like him again, that would be a huge steal.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
I'd like a second good TE. Miller is awesome, if we could get someone like him again, that would be a huge steal.

I think Wes Saunders is that guy. Still, am kind of hoping for Kevin Koger from Michigan to get drafted late by the Steelers.

Dino 6 Rings
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I think Wes Saunders is that guy. Still, am kind of hoping for Kevin Koger from Michigan to get drafted late by the Steelers.

hope so, that would be great if he can step up and be a solid #2 TE that maybe replaces Miller in a couple years as the #1.