PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward, AFC North looks tough again next season

stillers4me
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The lone division in the NFL to send three teams to the playoffs last season will only get stronger.
Ozzie Newsome made that observation about the AFC North, and the Ravens general manager is in a position to know.

"I spend more time (following) the other teams than I do my own team," Newsome said Friday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "There's no doubt (it's stronger) based on what Cincinnati did last year. I have a lot of respect for (Browns president) Mike Holmgren and what they're doing in Cleveland, and us and Pittsburgh, it's always going to be a battle."

The Steelers' place in a division they have won six times since 2000 has come into question given some of the changes they have undergone — and those that inevitably lie ahead for the veteran team.

But if Kevin Colbert is in the midst of a rebuilding job, that apparently is news to the Steelers' general manager................

Read more: Looking forward, AFC North looks tough again next season - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783541.html#ixzz1nPhia9lv) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783541.html#ixzz1nPhia9lv

polamalubeast
02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
This is nothing new for the steelers.

He has an unbelievable competition between the Steelers and Ravens since 2008.

2008:steelers(12-4)..Ravens(11-5)
2009:Ravens and steelers:9-7
2010:ravens and steelers:12-4
2011:ravens and steelers:12-4

BnG_Hevn
02-26-2012, 07:51 AM
I think for the Steelers to be "looking up" at the Ravens, the Ravens need to win more than one division title in a row, not to mention consistency at beating the Steelers.

If they sweep the Steelers again this year THEN in 2013 the Steelers would be looking up, but for the meantime, the AFC North teams are ALL looking up at the Steelers.

Besides, the Steelers don't "rebuild", they "reload'. Rebuild implies the building has collapsed and as long as the core is still intact the building still stands.

Edman
02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Winning one division title for the first time in five years isn't exactly "Taking Over" the division. For the Ravens to establish themselves as the new North power, they win the division again, and beat the Steelers more consistently. The Ravens are going to have to dig up their "Beat Pittsburgh" lightning again next season, which is pretty difficult. They dedicated their 2011 season to beating the Steelers.

The division will go down to the wire again next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
And, in other news..........unrest in the middle east.

The AFC North is gonna be competitive?? Natives in the jungles of Borneo know that is the case.

silver & black
02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Besides, the Steelers don't "rebuild", they "reload'.

I know another team that used that very same motto.:rofl2:

It isn't likely the Steelers will ever need to re-build, but.......... never say never.:wink02:

fansince'76
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
It isn't likely the Steelers will ever need to re-build, but.......... never say never.:wink02:

Believe me, I don't. The Roethlisberger era is the exception, not the norm. I remember the '80s all too well. That being said, the current Steelers team is not in rebuilding mode.

BigNastyDefense
02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I know another team that used that very same motto.:rofl2:

At this current moment, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't in a rebuilding mode. Are some veteran players slowing down and being phased out? Yes they are. But that's not a rebuild, it's a reload if you're bringing in players that are capable of replacing them.

Will the Steelers ever have to rebuild? Only if they let the team get old and don't restock the cupboards with players that can fill a starting roll.