PDA

View Full Version : Ben better stay healthy

zulater
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Colbert said the Steelers hope to re-sign veteran quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. Batch served as Ben Roethlisberger's backup last season after Leftwich suffered a season-ending arm injury in a preseason game.

"I think they're comfortable being a part of (the team), and I think they're open (to returning)," Colbert said.

He also said he expects Dennis Dixon, an unrestricted free agent, to go elsewhere after the free-agent signing period starts March 13.

"I don't think the league has seen the best of Dennis Dixon only because he's behind a great quarterback, and he's been held back by some injuries," Colbert said.

Read more: Hampton to return; Ward's future uncertain with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783305.html#ixzz1nKZgt2ho

Staying with status quo minus Dixon? :horror:

polamalubeast
02-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Since 2008, Roethlisberger has only missed two games due to injury.

It is certain that if Roethlisberger is hurt, the season is over, but it is also the case for several teams.

Carolina Steelers
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt say season is over depends for how many games. Remember 4 game suspension we went 3-1. Dont get me wrong we go as Big Ben goes but just sayn if he missed a couple games i believe are defense could carry us through till he got back

Dino 6 Rings
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
I guess Dixon is finished as a "back up" for us. I'd rather someone other than Batch in a big game, but would take him against the Bengals or Browns.

Lefty is not mobile enough for our oline, or heck, not mobile enough for any NFL Oline.

tube517
02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Colbert said the Steelers hope to re-sign veteran quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. Batch served as Ben Roethlisberger's backup last season after Leftwich suffered a season-ending arm injury in a preseason game.

"I think they're comfortable being a part of (the team), and I think they're open (to returning)," Colbert said.

He also said he expects Dennis Dixon, an unrestricted free agent, to go elsewhere after the free-agent signing period starts March 13.

"I don't think the league has seen the best of Dennis Dixon only because he's behind a great quarterback, and he's been held back by some injuries," Colbert said.

Read more: Hampton to return; Ward's future uncertain with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_783305.html#ixzz1nKZgt2ho

Staying with status quo minus Dixon? :horror:

Troy Smith, too. I do hope they bring in one more vet FA to compete.

Count Steeler
02-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Not very forward looking. Batch and Lefty are not the future. Time to get a young, possible replacement for Ben, but at least an adequate backup. Ben is not getting any younger and he won't heal from getting clobbered as quickly as he used to.

slippy
02-24-2012, 04:40 PM
this year is NOT the year to draft ben's successor. we need a younger charlie batch as a backup. kyle orton/rex grossman type of guy.

ALLD
02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Maybe in a couple of seasons we pick up a 1st round QB. Most lower picks are not franchise quality.

Count Steeler
02-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe in a couple of seasons we pick up a 1st round QB. Most lower picks are not franchise quality.

You never know what gem is lurking. QBs are not guaranteed to be franchise, even if it is first round. A lot of success for the QBs come from the teaching and coaching when they hit the pros. If they just rely on their physical attributes, they will be busts.

zulater
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM

Hell no. Ben should have 5 great years left. No reason to waste an early pick on his successor too early.

I wish they would have taken a run at Jason Cambell or Kyle Orton to be Ben's back up next season.

Count Steeler
02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
We definitely need a better backup corps than what we have. To trot out Ben on crutches is not an option.

SteelGhost
02-24-2012, 06:53 PM
As I said in another thread, we are VERY THIN at the position with Batch/Leftwich, we need a younger/mobile backup. Let's see how Smith performs at TC, maybe (just maybe :chuckle:) he can be a decent Ben's backup :noidea:

Nadroj 20
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
I agree we need a better backup then we have...let's just hope we do not have to find out what happens if he dont have ben

GBMelBlount
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
You never know what gem is lurking. QBs are not guaranteed to be franchise, even if it is first round.

A lot of success for the QBs come from the teaching and coaching when they hit the pros. If they just rely on their physical attributes, they will be busts.

How many of the current top 10 rated quarterbacks were NOT first round picks?....

steelreserve
02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Hell no. Ben should have 5 great years left. No reason to waste an early pick on his successor too early.

I wish they would have taken a run at Jason Cambell or Kyle Orton to be Ben's back up next season.

That would be great as long as you didn't mind losing Wallace for sure. You have any idea how much money those guys made? Too much for us to afford, that's how much.

I guess I'd be OK with Leftwich if he stays healthy, but that's a pretty big if given his recent history. Being able to rest Ben confidently for the last 3 games might have saved the season for us. But just like most teams, if our main QB is not at full strength at the end of the year, we're screwed. I cannot think of too many teams anymore for which that's not the case.

steeldevil
02-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Not even close to time to draft Ben's replacement, but we def. need to draft a young backup type guy in the later rounds. I would like Russell Wilson.

I honestly can't believe we are bringing back Batch...

Count Steeler
02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
How many of the current top 10 rated quarterbacks were NOT first round picks?....

2 for sure.

How many 1st round QBs make IT? I would venture to guess less than 50%.

zulater
02-25-2012, 05:10 AM
That would be great as long as you didn't mind losing Wallace for sure. You have any idea how much money those guys made? Too much for us to afford, that's how much.

I guess I'd be OK with Leftwich if he stays healthy, but that's a pretty big if given his recent history. Being able to rest Ben confidently for the last 3 games might have saved the season for us. But just like most teams, if our main QB is not at full strength at the end of the year, we're screwed. I cannot think of too many teams anymore for which that's not the case.

I don't think they'd cost that much more than Batch or Leftwich. There's going to be a guy out there with recent starting experience that's going to slip through the cracks, and wont be given a chance at a starters job, and will be looking for an opportunity to redeem themselves with a good team. Between Chad Henne, Jason Cambell, David Girard, and Kyle Orton, someone that still has some game will be looking for work, and there wont be a starters job available. If I'm one of those guys, knowing Ben's tight rope style of play, I gamble on a one year minimal contract, thinking that if I get a 3 or 4 game window, with the weapons the Steelers have, I can parlay it into a starting opportunity the next season.

86WARD
02-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Bringing Batch back...WTF...another year, another wasted roster spot.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2012, 07:00 AM
2 for sure.

How many 1st round QBs make IT? I would venture to guess less than 50%.

While I understand your point I would imagine the chances of picking a top 10 quarterback after round 1 is perhaps 1% with each QB pick.

It is possible but the likelihood drops dramatically imo. That's all.

But it does make finding the "rare gem" that much more exciting.

Antonio Brown is a late round gem for sure.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2012, 07:10 AM
oooops double post

Austin87
02-25-2012, 07:21 AM
I'll have no objections if Batch and Leftwich are re-signed provided that a guy like Troy Smith can compete for a roster spot. I seriously doubt Batch will make the team if he has to compete for a roster spot with Lefty and Troy Smith. But then gain Lefty will probably be put on IR in preseason and we'll go with Batch and T.Smith.

siss
02-25-2012, 12:38 PM
We definitely need a better backup corps than what we have. To trot out Ben on crutches is not an option.

But you know he would try if he could!

steelreserve
02-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't think they'd cost that much more than Batch or Leftwich. There's going to be a guy out there with recent starting experience that's going to slip through the cracks, and wont be given a chance at a starters job, and will be looking for an opportunity to redeem themselves with a good team. Between Chad Henne, Jason Cambell, David Girard, and Kyle Orton, someone that still has some game will be looking for work, and there wont be a starters job available. If I'm one of those guys, knowing Ben's tight rope style of play, I gamble on a one year minimal contract, thinking that if I get a 3 or 4 game window, with the weapons the Steelers have, I can parlay it into a starting opportunity the next season.

Orton made $9M last year, and Campbell made $4.5M. Both are going to demand a shot to compete for starting jobs, even if they don't eventually get them. Batch and Leftwich both made close to the minimum and aren't in that mindset.

I've been saying Henne would be a good option if we can get him, but the big names (as far as backups go, anyway) are pretty much off the table this year given our salary constraints. Backup QB is definitely one of our sore spots though, and it sucks that money is basically going to prevent us from addressing that in a meaningful way.

zulater
02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Orton made $9M last year, and Campbell made $4.5M. Both are going to demand a shot to compete for starting jobs, even if they don't eventually get them. Batch and Leftwich both made close to the minimum and aren't in that mindset.

I don't know that either are in a position to "demand" anything. The law of supply and demand will determine where they go and what they make. You've got Peyton Manning and Mike Flynn who will both get major play in the free agent market. There's two jobs gone. You've got Luck and R.G.III that will get two starters jobs. So how many are left in play? Teams don't want to build around cast off's and retreads. Girard, Cambell, Orton, and Henne wont all get an opportunity to start or compete to do so. Whichever slips through the cracks I'd be good with taking on as a backup to Ben.

oneforthetoe
02-25-2012, 01:23 PM
I'll have no objections if Batch and Leftwich are re-signed provided that a guy like Troy Smith can compete for a roster spot. I seriously doubt Batch will make the team if he has to compete for a roster spot with Lefty and Troy Smith. But then gain Lefty will probably be put on IR in preseason and we'll go with Batch and T.Smith.

Hell, he'll probably trip and break his leg while carrying his bag into the dorm at St Vincent at the beginning of camp. Thereafter, Charlie will probably break his collar bone trying to help "Lefty" up. So, I hope Troy Smith is ready.

zulater
02-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Hell, he'll probably trip and break his leg while carrying his bag into the dorm at St Vincent at the beginning of camp. There after, Charlie will probably break his collar bone trying to help "Lefty" up. So, I hope Troy Smith is ready.

I hope Troy Smith doesn't even make the roster. You might as well keep Dennis Dixon as to give him a job. At least Dixon knows the playbook.

86WARD
02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm with zulater...somewhat. No to Troy Smith and NO to Dennis Dixon. Does Dixon really know the playbook? Probably not...

No to Batc, sign another vet to compete with Leftwich. A guy that can come in and go .500. Draft a future backup...it's not difficult.

zulater
02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm with zulater...somewhat. No to Troy Smith and NO to Dennis Dixon. Does Dixon really know the playbook? Probably not...

No to Batc, sign another vet to compete with Leftwich. A guy that can come in and go .500. Draft a future backup...it's not difficult.

I think he does. He just can't execute the plays as they're supposed to be run.

86WARD
02-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Remember...Haley's Playbook...

O'Malley
02-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Cut Dixon cut Smith, keep Batch and Lefty and call it good.. IMO Batch has been a solid backup and done his job.. Lefty is an okay 3rd string QB.. No need for any other QBs on the Roster... JMO.

SteelMayhem72
02-25-2012, 06:22 PM
I think the problem with Lefty is he is fat and outta shape...Batch is just old and fragile!

GBMelBlount
02-25-2012, 08:58 PM
I think the problem with Lefty is he is fat and outta shape...Batch is just old and fragile!

It boggles my mind that these guys don't place more emphasis on proper strength training.

86WARD
02-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Cut Dixon cut Smith, keep Batch and Lefty and call it good.. IMO Batch has been a solid backup and done his job.. Lefty is an okay 3rd string QB.. No need for any other QBs on the Roster... JMO.

Batch is far from solid...far, far, far from solid. If Lefty and Batch were retained, Lefty would be backup and like you said, he's an okay 3rd stringer. I'd rather have Chad Henne than either of those two. Hell, give me Rex Grossman. He could come in and play .500 ball with this team...

steelreserve
02-26-2012, 04:04 AM
I don't know that either are in a position to "demand" anything. The law of supply and demand will determine where they go and what they make. You've got Peyton Manning and Mike Flynn who will both get major play in the free agent market. There's two jobs gone. You've got Luck and R.G.III that will get two starters jobs. So how many are left in play? Teams don't want to build around cast off's and retreads. Girard, Cambell, Orton, and Henne wont all get an opportunity to start or compete to do so. Whichever slips through the cracks I'd be good with taking on as a backup to Ben.

Well, Orton came in and had good results with the Chiefs, whether it was because of him or not. And Campbell got the Raiders off to a great start until he was injured, then the team went to shit. In fact, the team going to shit can be taken as a testament to his ability by the right person. Anyway, someone will bite on that. For both guys. Jaguars, Redskins (they're both gone already), Niners, Dolphins, Vikings, Jets, Bucs, Bills, Titans, Cardinals, Browns. Both those guys are gone.

Like I said, I'd be glad to take Henne, or Girard even though he seems less likely. If one of them falls to us, that'd be awesome. Just write Campbell and Orton off your list. Even though you know and I know they're overrated, someone rates them highly for whatever reason, so they're gone. No loss to us.

The Duke
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Both Nick Foles and Brock Osweiler are not having the best combine week

I hope one drops to at least the 5th round

zulater
02-26-2012, 12:52 PM
oops mispost :doh:

86WARD
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
A guy like Campbell could look at Ben's "injury" history and decide to come to Pittsburgh knowing that if he got an opportunity, he'd most likely succeed and possibly parlay that into a starting job in 2013...or at least an opportunity to compete in 2013.

Steeldude
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Orton might me too pricey, but what about Shaun Hill?

zulater
02-26-2012, 07:07 PM

Is he a free agent? Assuming yes, that works for me.:thumbsup:

I hope Colbert's reading this thread. :lol:

Craic
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I have no problem with Lefty as a backup (provided he actually stays healthy).

He's done well whenever he's had to play for us. He also compensates for his lack of mobility by getting the ball out faster than Ben does. Honestly, backup QB is the least of my worries with this team.

86WARD
02-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd jump all over Hill. Sounds like he's going back to Detroit. If he didn't, I'd be extremely happy with him. He's a quality back up and frankly, all he does is win games...

steel striker
02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
There is no way that I would ever want Grossman on this team. Too many bad int's and, Cambell or Hill would be fine. With our o-line we need someone who could atleast move a little bit.

SteelGhost
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
There is no way that I would ever want Grossman on this team. Too many bad int's and, Cambell or Hill would be fine. With our o-line we need someone who could atleast move a little bit.

Hills could be adequate, but who knows ?

steelreserve
02-26-2012, 08:01 PM

Hill would be awesome if we could get him. That's a big if, though. He may be happy in Detroit now that they're a winning team again.

suitanim
02-27-2012, 05:27 AM
I epect they'll draft a QB in the 5th or 6th. They actually usually do...