PDA

View Full Version : Gerry: Colbert expects Hampton back

stillers4me
02-23-2012, 04:41 PM
More comments from GM Kevin Colbert at today's combine:

He was emphatic in saying that he expects NT Casey Hampton to be back in 2012, even though he is scheduled to count more than $8 million against the cap. Hampton, 34, will be coming off surgery to his left anterior cruciate ligament – the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee.

Hampton was injured in the playoff loss in Denver and had surgery on Jan. 27. Colbert was asked if his return would be delayed as long as running Rashard Mendenhall, who also had ACL surgery after the season and might not be ready for the start of the 2012 regular season.

“It’s a different position obviously. You don’t have to worry about speed, you don’t have to worry about quick change of direction when you’re talking about offensive or defensive linemen. And the one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he’s been through this twice. He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels.”

Cobert also said the Steelers could bring both backup quarterbacks, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich......

read more @ http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115021

Count Steeler
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Bit surprising. Perhaps he doesn't like any DTs in the draft. Would be nice if Hampton restructured though.

suitanim
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM
He'll HAVE to restructure I think...but we really don't have his replacement. This is good, though. We draft a guy in Rd 3+ and let him learn from the master.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Ugh...they'd better restructure.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 07:32 PM

He was emphatic in saying that he expects NT Casey Hampton to be back in 2012, even though he is scheduled to count more than $8 million against the cap. Hampton, 34, will be coming off surgery to his left anterior cruciate ligament – the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee.

Hampton was injured in the playoff loss in Denver and had surgery on Jan. 27. Colbert was asked if his return would be delayed as long as running Rashard Mendenhall, who also had ACL surgery after the season and might not be ready for the start of the 2012 regular season.

“It’s a different position obviously. You don’t have to worry about speed, you don’t have to worry about quick change of direction when you’re talking about offensive or defensive linemen. And the one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he’s been through this twice. He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels.”

Cobert also said the Steelers could bring both backup quarterbacks, Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich......

read more @ http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115021

Nooooo :behindsofa:

The Duke
02-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Cool

but we still need a nose tackle in the first three rounds. Let him learn from the best like ziggy and cam did

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm kinda surprised as well. I figured since he's thirty-four, just tore his ACL, and is bound to make eight million this year if I'm correct, he'd be released. In all honesty, I'm not too worried about drafting a nose tackle because of Steve McLendon. I'd like to see what he can do.

tube517
02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Nooooo :behindsofa:

Notice he didn't mention Dixon. :rofl2:

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Notice he didn't mention Dixon. :rofl2:

:horror: :lol:

BigNastyDefense
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I am a but surprised by this, but I am expecting Big Snack to restructure his contract to bring down his cap hit, especially since he's likely to begin the year on the PUP list, which means he wouldn't be available to play until week seven if he doesn't come off of the PUP list before the season starts.

GBMelBlount
02-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Hampton, 34.....

coming off surgery to his left anterior cruciate ligament – the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee.....

the one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he’s been through this twice....

He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels.”

34 years old. 2 acl injuries....

I am not overly optimistic.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Mayock said that this year's draft is loaded with DL, maybe we can pick one NT :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2012, 08:43 PM
34 years old. 2 acl injuries....

I am not overly optimistic.

McClendon is serviceable and can play DE in our scheme too. He is a keeper. Also, if we dont sign a rookie, there should be some veterans cast off in favor of the drafted rookies.

I still wish we had taken Myron Pryor back in the day instead of Sunny Harris in the draft.

Mayock said that this year's draft is loaded with DL, maybe we can pick one NT :noidea: I think there are a lot of 3 technique or 5 technique players, but not as many NT's. Poe and Ta'aamu are 2 NT's that I think would be a good fit. Josh Chapman is another....but is coming off ACL surgery already from college.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info Gonz.

Steeltreal
02-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Casey wants to go out like The Bus . SuperBOwl

steelreserve
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
I could be wrong, but thought this was the last year of Hampton's contract, so "restructuring" wouldn't be an option in that case.

Also, I thought he wasn't going to have surgery because it was only a small tear. Maybe they thought better of it. But his chances of playing sounded a lot more optimistic than Mendenhall or Starks, from what I remember. Hope we can get just one more good year out of him.

Austin87
02-24-2012, 04:05 AM
Hopefully Hampton can come back next season healthy, in-shape and dominant, but I highly doubt that. His salary is also ridiculous, need to lower that some how.

BlastFurnace
02-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Hampton is finished. I don't understand why they want to keep him around. He was the 3rd best NT on the team last year. He should be cut.

Edman
02-24-2012, 09:03 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, Hampton, much like Smith is dead weight on this team now. They're done. No slight against them. It happens to every player.

Stop keeping them around have them tying up dead cap space for 3-4 decent games at the most in a 16-game season. Give them a gold watch and ship them off.

If Hampton shows up to MC/TC fat and out of shape yet again, It's time to say goodbye.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
I could be wrong, but thought this was the last year of Hampton's contract, so "restructuring" wouldn't be an option in that case.

Also, I thought he wasn't going to have surgery because it was only a small tear. Maybe they thought better of it. But his chances of playing sounded a lot more optimistic than Mendenhall or Starks, from what I remember. Hope we can get just one more good year out of him.

You are correct. They would have to give him a new contract for say 3 years, maybe a 6 mil signing bonus and then spread that over the 3 years. Might only save $1.5 or $2 million this year and they could release him next season if desired and have that $2mil a year count against the cap for the next 2 seasons.

suitanim
02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Bringing him back this year almost certainly had to be part of the "grand plan". They didn't adequately prepare for his departure last year by drafting his heir apparent, so they must just be willing to honor the last year of his deal. I don't think he's "finished", but he isn't as dominant as he once was. The problem is, both he and Hoke are old, and one of them was bound to retire. McClendon is, as Gonzo said, serviceable, but if Hampton was cut we'd be starting the season with ONLY McClendon at NT, and we'd almost certainly both have to draft a NT (or two) AND transition a guy like Hood over at least as a back-up.

I didn't realize he was in the last year of his contract. There's no way he's going to restructure because this is almost ceratinly his last year and the Steelers aren't the kind of team to write-up a 3-4 year deal on a guy they know is in his last year. I think he's going to be an integral part of our defense this year as both a player and a mentor for his replacement that we now HAVE to draft this year.

XxKnightxX
02-24-2012, 03:03 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, Hampton, much like Smith is dead weight on this team now. They're done. No slight against them. It happens to every player.

Stop keeping them around have them tying up dead cap space for 3-4 decent games at the most in a 16-game season. Give them a gold watch and ship them off.

If Hampton shows up to MC/TC fat and out of shape yet again, It's time to say goodbye.

This is a term that applies literally and figuratively at the same time lol.

7willBheaven
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Yes they could restructure him...one way is just like they did A Smith last year...by adding another year on to his deal and splitting the money between years and such. And yes he initially wasnt going to, but they opted to have the surgery anyways.

I hope his number is lowered as I do not see him worth that much at this point...no offense to Big Snack but for a couple down player who isnt what he used to be...8-9 mil is WAY too much.

suitanim
02-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Yes they could restructure him...one way is just like they did A Smith last year...by adding another year on to his deal and splitting the money between years and such. And yes he initially wasnt going to, but they opted to have the surgery anyways.

I hope his number is lowered as I do not see him worth that much at this point...no offense to Big Snack but for a couple down player who isnt what he used to be...8-9 mil is WAY too much.

Again, what are the Steelers options? Right now, outside of Casey Hampton, they have Steve McClendon.

Psycho Ward 86
02-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Not sure why so many people want to kick his ass out the door so quickly. Who do we have behind him that's so good? Mclendon? Lol, that would be dumb to bank on a 280lb. nose tackle with only one so-so start under his belt against a mediocre team. I like him, but we dont know enough about him yet. The prospect of Mclendon being the starter is uncomfortable enough, but what if he goes down? Remember guys, he was the 3rd string NT and STILL managed to get a start under his belt because of injuries to Hoke and Hampton. I think most of us presume Ziggy would be up next. He's only 300lb., still well undersized and really meant to play DE for us from the beginning, although we've seen him play snaps here and there at NT for a handful of snaps in different packages. Keywords being "handful of snaps." Only a select few can be a Jay Ratliff, we dont know if Ziggy could hold it down for an entire game, let alone an entire season. Not to mention we are losing a ton of depth: sans McClendon, Ziggy would be bounced inside, and our only DE's would be Keisel, Heyward, Aaron Smith and Al Woods. Who the heck is Al Woods? And Smith has been playing awful, is 35 years old, and went on IR 3 seasons in a row due to completely unrelated injuries. The guy will always be a hometown hero, but if anybody needs to be let go, he's one of the 1st. I revere Coach Mitchell's ability to churn out out great D-linemen, but that hypothetical D-line is a nerve racking thing to think about. As far as clearing up cap room goes, if we cut Ward and Smith (2 players that were pretty useless this season unlike Hampton), we'd only be $3.3 million over the amount we need to slap on a franchise tag on Wallace, an amount we could probably make up easily by restructuring James Harrison contract. Heck, James Harrison's agent even said he wanted to do it, so that's perfect. Plus it wouldn't be too bad to have Hampton around for the rest of his contract to help Coach Mitchell groom his heir apparent that we'll hopefully pick up via draft or free agency.

The Duke
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Mclendon? Lol, that would be dumb to bank on a 280lb. nose tackle with only one so-so start under his belt against a mediocre team.

To be fair, McClendon is most definitely not 280. He's tall, and even with that my untrained eyes see him at around 310. Far from Hampton (340+) of course, but the coaches obviously trust him. I see him starting even if Hampton is brought back (he'll likely be PUP) and we get a FA/draft NT.

it wouldn't be too bad to have Hampton around for the rest of his contract to help Coach Mitchell groom his heir apparent

this is where I'm at. Can't think of anyone better the past ten years to teach a young guy how to play NT than Hampton and Mitchell

7willBheaven
02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Again, what are the Steelers options? Right now, outside of Casey Hampton, they have Steve McClendon.

I never said to cut him (though depending on the factors and the draft I might not be against it)...they need to lower his number is all, if they add 1 more year to his deal and split the amount he's owed, then fine...but he's making way to much money when he's hurt and plays only a handful of snaps a game now.

Count Steeler
02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I never said to cut him (though depending on the factors and the draft I might not be against it)...they need to lower his number is all, if they add 1 more year to his deal and split the amount he's own, then fine...but he's making way to much money when he's hurt and plays only a handful of snaps a game now.

Exactly. Don't know if Chidi29 has a breakdown of how many snaps Hampton missed (even when healthy). Don't think he is ever in for more than 3rd downs unless it is short yardage. Even when he was in this year, we were not getting the push up the middle like previous years.

steelreserve
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM

This is another situation where I really wish we'd just turn a couple of 500-pound sumo wrestlers loose and see what they can do.

Hell, we might be able to improve at offensive guard that way too.

suitanim
02-25-2012, 08:24 AM
We should have drafted NT last year.

zulater
02-25-2012, 08:54 AM
We should have drafted NT last year.

If they can convert Ziggy Hood to nose tackle, there will be no need to then or now. I've heard that may be in the plans, but it's hard to say if it will work or not? I know he's smaller than you'd ideally want, but he's bigger than Hoke, and all we ever did was win with Hoke starting. If Ziggy can improve his technique a bit it will work in my opinion. I've heard Hood is the strongest Steeler on the team in the weight room, so it's not a reach at all to think he can make it as a 3-4 nose tackle.

In the first 3 rounds I want the Steelers to draft safety, guard, and inside linebacker, in order of BPA by the round.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
If they can convert Ziggy Hood to nose tackle, there will be no need to then or now.

I know he's smaller than you'd ideally want, but he's bigger than Hoke, and all we ever did was win with Hoke starting.

I've heard Hood is the strongest Steeler on the team in the weight room, so it's not a reach at all to think he can make it as a 3-4 nose tackle.

The stats show Hood & Hoke within 5 lbs.

With Hoke winning all but 1 game he started you can make a strong argument Hoke's weight was not a problem at NT.

Factor in Hood's strength and ability and you have a very good case imo.

suitanim
02-26-2012, 07:48 AM
IF they can convert him.

A) We were all told emphatically that Hood was NOT a NT, and never would be
B) Even if we DO convert Hood, that leaves other gaps on the depth chart along the DL and...
C) We still only have McClendon if there is a problem with Hood

zulater
02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
IF they can convert him.

A) We were all told emphatically that Hood was NOT a NT, and never would be
B) Even if we DO convert Hood, that leaves other gaps on the depth chart along the DL and...
C) We still only have McClendon if there is a problem with Hood

That was then this is now. But granted DL is something that needs to be addressed in the offseason. I'm just not sure when and how they'll go about it?

And I wouldn't rule out them bringing back Aaron Smith at a reduced salary. Apparently the neck injury that ended his season was hindering his play prior to his going out with the leg injury. If they feel he still has some game, maybe that's a stop gap to get us through next season?

Count Steeler
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Putting any reliance on Aaron Smith is a mistake. I would not factor him in any of our plans. He should retire. Sorry, but 3 of the last 4 years he was on IR or should have been of IR.

Love Smith and all he has done on and off the field. But it is time to get serious about our future. The DL needs addressing this offseason.

zulater
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Putting any reliance on Aaron Smith is a mistake. I would not factor him in any of our plans. He should retire. Sorry, but 3 of the last 4 years he was on IR or should have been of IR.

Love Smith and all he has done on and off the field. But it is time to get serious about our future. The DL needs addressing this offseason.

I'm not suggesting it's a great idea, I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they give Smith a chance to come back. He was a great Steeler, I've got a hunch he wants to go out on something resembling his own terms. If he can pass a physical, and signs a favorable contract it wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers gave him that chance. That's not to say they would make him a big part of the plans. Or that they'd cut a promising young DL at Aaron's expense. But if everything came together right I think there's a somewhat better than slight chance Aaron will get a last hurrah this coming season. I put it about a 1-5 chance.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Why all the gnashing of teeth on this one. McClendon and Hampton are under contract and will be on the roster. A NT is very likely to be drafted if there on the board. Moving on to a more relevant topic.

Count Steeler
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm not suggesting it's a great idea, I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if they give Smith a chance to come back. He was a great Steeler, I've got a hunch he wants to go out on something resembling his own terms. If he can pass a physical, and signs a favorable contract it wouldn't surprise me if the Steelers gave him that chance. That's not to say they would make him a big part of the plans. Or that they'd cut a promising young DL at Aaron's expense. But if everything came together right I think there's a somewhat better than slight chance Aaron will get a last hurrah this coming season. I put it about a 1-5 chance.

Aaron, Casey, Charlie, James Farrior, probably all players that should retire. That is 4 roster spots for part timers/non starters. We are starting to hang on too long. I have no problem with them (and Ward) competing in TC for a roster spot, but it has to be a legitimate competition.

suitanim
02-27-2012, 05:19 AM
I'mnot figuring Smith into any of my calculations.

Count Steeler
02-27-2012, 05:21 AM
I'mnot figuring Smith into any of my calculations.

I'm a little surprised he hasn't retired yet. Is he waiting on something?

suitanim
02-27-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm a little surprised he hasn't retired yet. Is he waiting on something?

He's had a LONG time to recover. Maybe he figures he's still got something in the tank?

Anyway, if he does great. If not, the Steelers need to be properly prepared. I do not think they prepared themselves adequately at NT...believe it or not, it was the Eagles who mastered the system of drafting players to replace the NEXT years FA's and contract hogs. They were the best at it for years...If the Steelers had plans to cut Hampton, they would have drafted NT last year. I think it must have always been in their plans to let him play out his contract which is both very risky and also very expensive.

katmandu
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Mclendon? Lol, that would be dumb to bank on a 280lb. nose tackle.IIRC, I recently read a Tweet (from Colbert ?) that said McLendon is now up to 320lb. That's NT Starter weight.

McLendon is aggressive as hell and FAST for a NT. He's a diamond in the rough IMHO.

Still, we NEED depth at NT. If Casey will restructure and get healthy, he could serve in that capacity while we build depth.

BlastFurnace
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Aaron, Casey, Charlie, James Farrior, probably all players that should retire. That is 4 roster spots for part timers/non starters. We are starting to hang on too long. I have no problem with them (and Ward) competing in TC for a roster spot, but it has to be a legitimate competition.

100% agree. It's time to turn the page...especially with Smith and Hampton. Both are finished. Great careers, but it's clearly time with both of them.