PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Restructures Contract

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 03:46 PM
They just announced Ben reconstructed his contract on 93.7, but there aren't any articles written on it yet. He's going to save the team eight million this year. That's right, eight million.

fansince'76
02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
That should put us about 3 million under the cap, by my reckoning.

Here's a tweet about it from Scott Brown with the Trib:

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib/status/172796302239862784

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 04:12 PM
That should put us about 3 million under the cap, by my reckoning.

whoa i must be out of the loop. that sounds awesome to me.

While were at it, i wish someone would make a thread or something to help keep track of where we are in cap space

fansince'76
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
whoa i must be out of the loop. that sounds awesome to me.

Ben wants to keep Wallace ALMOST as much as polamalubeast. :chuckle:

I heard mention after Colon restructured that we were still about $5 mil over, but not sure how accurate that is.

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM

I heard mention after Colon restructured that we were still about $5 mil over, but not sure how accurate that is.

Since the franchise tag is like 9 million something, would we have to be under the cap by about 9 million to tag him?

Nadroj 20
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
That is awesome, looking out for the team!

Chidi29
02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Since the franchise tag is like 9 million something, would we have to be under the cap by about 9 million to tag him?

I think so. All contracts have to be approved by the league to ensure they meet things like staying under the salary cap.

fansince'76
02-23-2012, 04:28 PM

As far as I know, yes, but I'm no capologist, believe me.

Chidi29
02-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Wow, saved us more than I thought. Think his base was 11.4 million this year. Probably moved about $10 million into a roster bonus.

Count Steeler
02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks Ben. Thanks Omar. Keep it up.

7willBheaven
02-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Awesome...good job Ben. But I find it funny that the league STILL hasnt announced what the cap will actually be this year (Colbert has said this many times recently...in respect to signing Wallace, they need to know the cap)...i think thats ridiculous by the league not announcing it already. While a lot of "experts"/etc have an idea what it might/will be...still we wont know until the league officially announces it...hopefully soon.

Count Steeler
02-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Awesome...good job Ben. But I find it funny that the league STILL hasnt announced what the cap will actually be this year (Colbert has said this many times recently...in respect to signing Wallace, they need to know the cap)...i think thats ridiculous by the league not announcing it already. While a lot of "experts"/etc have an idea what it might/will be...still we wont know until the league officially announces it...hopefully soon.

Probably still consulting with Kraft. Pats* have decided how much they want to spend this year.

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 04:53 PM

oh well you know how it goes. Goodell is trying to make sure the cap hurts the Steelers as much as possible so that we cant hold onto Wallace :rolleyes:

bayz101
02-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Mcfadden and Battle cut's shaved off 3.9 million. Ike Taylor restructure shaved off 3.285 million, and Woodley and Timmons restructures combined for a savings of 10 Million +

Willie Colon just restructured, and saved us 2.85 million, and Ben Roethlisberger saved us a whopping 8 million as just reported. I'm not a mathematician, but that add's up to 28 million +.

We started the off-season 25 million over.

bayz101
02-23-2012, 04:58 PM

Well, as long as it wasn't three million dollars off, we're in good shape!

suitanim
02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Too bad he's a selfish whining baby who won't call Haley.

Oh..............wait................

bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
This is all based on the the initial report that we we're 25 million under. However, that number may be as high as 30 million. No official number has been announced. Either way, we're 29 million to whatever that final number is.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 06:16 PM

haha

Thank Ben

Maybe the Steelers will be able to put Wallace on the TAG!

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 06:40 PM
The Steelers are close to being under the salary cap after restructuring the contract of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If Pittsburgh wants to protect Wallace and put the franchise tag on him, the Steelers need to create an additional $9.4 million in salary-cap space. Pittsburgh can do so by restructuring the contract of linebacker James Harrison and making additional cuts. The Steelers can free up nearly $10 million by releasing wide receiver Hines Ward ($4 million), guard Chris Kemoeatu ($3.8 million) and defensive end Aaron Smith ($2.1 million).

Pittsburgh would clear another $4 million by cutting nose tackle Casey Hampton, but general manager Kevin Colbert was emphatic that Hampton will be on the team in 2012, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Still, the Steelers have put themselves in position to put the franchise tag on Wallace if they choose to do so. It's just going to take some more cuts.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42879/steelers-restructure-roethlisbergers-deal

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
why is it that all we keep hearing about is how hard the steelers are working to get under the cap with pretty much the primary goal being to give Wallace the franchise tag. Why havent we heard anything about long term contract negotiations?

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
The Steelers are close to being under the salary cap after restructuring the contract of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

If Pittsburgh wants to protect Wallace and put the franchise tag on him, the Steelers need to create an additional $9.4 million in salary-cap space. Pittsburgh can do so by restructuring the contract of linebacker James Harrison and making additional cuts. The Steelers can free up nearly $10 million by releasing wide receiver Hines Ward ($4 million), guard Chris Kemoeatu ($3.8 million) and defensive end Aaron Smith ($2.1 million).

Pittsburgh would clear another $4 million by cutting nose tackle Casey Hampton, but general manager Kevin Colbert was emphatic that Hampton will be on the team in 2012, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Still, the Steelers have put themselves in position to put the franchise tag on Wallace if they choose to do so. It's just going to take some more cuts.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42879/steelers-restructure-roethlisbergers-deal

ok so $9.4 million to go. Based on some of the ways to clear space in this article, we're actually in pretty good shape! I dont mean to throw it out so insensitively but cut Hines Ward and Aaron Smith and we only have $3.3 million to go. We could make up that amount through restructuring Harrison's contract i bet. Luckily, Harrison is willing to. This thing is far from over but understanding the number game is starting to let me breathe a sigh of relief

Bluecoat96
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
why is it that all we keep hearing about is how hard the steelers are working to get under the cap with pretty much the primary goal being to give Wallace the franchise tag. Why havent we heard anything about long term contract negotiations?

I think placing the franchise tag on Wallace first buys the Steelers more time to negotiate a real extension rather than worry about losing him with just a first round tender. They should also be able to negotiate a more cap-friendly deal as well.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Hitting up the big banks! Nice...

Doesn't mean they can't come to an agreement with Wallace that counts less than $9M but pays him more...

Bluecoat96
02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
With the salary cap slated to go up over the next few years, we should also be able to sign Brown as well.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Would be nice. Just release Mendenhall and get it over with...lol.

Psycho Ward 86
02-23-2012, 07:20 PM

because hines ward and aaron smith are so much more valuable

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
ok so $9.4 million to go. Based on some of the ways to clear space in this article, we're actually in pretty good shape! I dont mean to throw it out so insensitively but cut Hines Ward and Aaron Smith and we only have $3.3 million to go. We could make up that amount through restructuring Harrison's contract i bet. Luckily, Harrison is willing to. This thing is far from over but understanding the number game is starting to let me breathe a sigh of relief

You're not alone Psycho :thumbsup:

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Releasing Mendy would hurt our running game. That would be a bad decision.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
because hines ward and aaron smith are so much more valuable

Part sarcasm...but wouldn't mind seeing him go...

Releasing Mendy would hurt our running game. That would be a bad decision.

Not as much as you want to think...

vader29
02-23-2012, 08:23 PM

Just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean that they aren't working on a long term deal, remember the Steelers have a history of not negotiating through the media.

7willBheaven
02-23-2012, 08:55 PM
haha

Thank Ben

Maybe the Steelers will be able to put Wallace on the TAG!

Just say no to the tag for crying out.

Shoot you'd probably cut half the team to just keep Wallace...enough!

7willBheaven
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM

I dont remember seeing anywhere about that being the goal...only the media and MBers are saying talking about the tag and all (though the Steelers havent ruled it out, but ONLY as a last resort). And its been reported a few times the sides are in talks...shoot Wallace and Colbert have even said it. If the league would release the cap number...it'd make the contract talks a lot easier.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
With the salary cap slated to go up over the next few years, we should also be able to sign Brown as well.

By 2014, they should be in real good shape. They'll probably have to restructure more contracts if they want to keep Brown next year...but by 2014, they should be okay...

Austin87
02-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Thank you Big Ben.