PDA

View Full Version : Ward DUI case settled.

zulater
02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Georgia authorities dropped a drunk driving charge against Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward Wednesday.

As part of an agreement with DeKalb County prosecutors, Ward pleaded guilty to reckless driving stemming from his arrest last July, and also pleaded no contest to a charge of failing to maintain his lane, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

He agreed to serve a year on probation, pay a $2,000 fine and perform 80 hours of community service.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Hines-Ward-DUI-charge-reportedly-dropped-022212

steelreserve
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Just think: If only they had those Google cars that drive themselves, then people could drive around getting as drunk as they want. Hurry up and get ready with those.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I still say it goes to show you if you have money you can get out of almost anything.

Buckinnuts
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM
money thats it...you and I would be paying out the ass for it

zulater
02-22-2012, 07:02 PM
I still say it goes to show you if you have money you can get out of almost anything.

A year on probation, a $2,000 fine, and 80 hours of community service are about all you would get as a first time offender for DUI. Outside of going to drunk class he was punished the same, so I don't think he bought himself out of much.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2012, 07:07 PM
A year on probation, a $2,000 fine, and 80 hours of community service are about all you would get as a first time offender for DUI. Outside of going to drunk class he was punished the same, so I don't think he bought himself out of much.

I have to say in Virginia you loose you driving privleges for a year and that is mandatory. Not to mention a jail sentance which is usually suspended but it seems like he got off easy for not taking a breath test. Just my opinion.

zulater
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I have to say in Virginia you loose you driving privleges for a year and that is mandatory. Not to mention a jail sentance which is usually suspended but it seems like he got off easy for not taking a breath test. Just my opinion.

It varies from state to state. Plus reading the ESPN blurb on this, they're also reporting Ward has to undergo alcohol evaluation. So again I don't think he got treated much different than any other first time offender.

zulater
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
I do find it ridiculous that any person who makes the sort of money that today's pro athletes do would ever put themselves in that position. Cab, or limo, hello!

Galax Steeler
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Georgia First Offense DUI Penalties
If you have been convicted of a DUI in the state of Georgia and it is your first offense here are some of the penalties you could be facing:

First Offense within a Five-Year Period

Georgia First Offense DUI Penalties
Fine

A fine of $300.00 -$1000.00 plus any statutory surcharges (typically 15-25%)

License Suspension

For those who are over 21, your driver's license will be suspended for one year. If you complete an alcohol/drug risk reduction course (DUI school) and paid the appropriate reinstatement fee, you will get your license back at the end of 120 days. During those 120 days, you will be able to get a limited driving permit.

If you were arrested for DUI and were under 21 at the time, your license will be revoked for 6 months if your BAC was under 0.08 blood alcohol level. If your BAC was 0.08 or higher, your license will be revoked for 12 months and no limited permit is allowed.

Community Service

Court may set the required minimum of 40 hours of community service for a DUI first offense. If you are under 21, the minimum requirement is 20 hours.

Jail

From 10 days to 12 months, but this can be suspended, stayed or probated. 24 hours cannot be suspended, stayed or probated.

If your BAC was 0.08, you do not even have to do the 24 hours. But this is something you cannot count on. On all DUI cases after May 1, 1999, if you plead guilty or are convicted of DUI, you must be placed on twelve months probation less any jail time received.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Refusing the breath test should have made it worse then what they done to him.

zulater
02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Lesson learned. If you're driving drunk, don't submit to a test.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Lesson learned. If you're driving drunk, don't submit to a test.

:lol: I think we can both agree on this.

tube517
02-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Those damn mirror ball winners always get off scot free