PDA

View Full Version : Schefter on the Steelers' offseason issues

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter addressed the two most talked about issues of the Steelers' offseason so far: the future of wide receiver Mike Wallace and the relationship between quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

In his mailbag, Schefter writes that the Steelers are vulnerable to losing Wallace and it's not by choice. Pittsburgh might be forced to put the first-round tender on Wallace instead of the franchise tag because it's $11 million over the salary cap. He named the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots and San Francisco 49ers as teams who might sign Wallace to an offer sheet.

"That team can load up that contract with a big roster bonus that would count against the Steelers' salary cap this season," Schefter writes. "If Wallace signs an offer sheet that contains a $20 million roster bonus, the Steelers are left with two choices: they can match the offer sheet, keep Wallace and then have to cut $20 million worth of players; or they can decline to match, lose Wallace and get that cap space along with a first-round pick."

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/42768/schefter-on-the-steelers-offseason-issues

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
"That team can load up that contract with a big roster bonus that would count against the Steelers' salary cap this season," Schefter writes. "If Wallace signs an offer sheet that contains a $20 million roster bonus, the Steelers are left with two choices: they can match the offer sheet, keep Wallace and then have to cut $20 million worth of players; or they can decline to match, lose Wallace and get that cap space along with a first-round pick."

I know poison pills have been "eliminated" though I'm not sure how that's been done. Would this be considered a poison pill offer?

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I'm 95% sure that Wallace will leave the steelers(pats or 49ers):no:

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I'm 95% sure that Wallace will leave the steelers(pats or 49ers):no:

Really don't see it happening. Very rarely do teams steal away players tendered at that high of a level.

fansince'76
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Really don't see it happening. Very rarely do teams steal away players tendered at that high of a level.

Same here. That's the reason for the tender in the first place.

Bluecoat96
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't see the Pats doing it. They would have to decide who to pay....Welker or Wallace. Draft picks are like gold to them.

zulater
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't see the Pats doing it. They would have to decide who to pay....Welker or Wallace. Draft picks are like gold to them.

Don't they have an extra first round pick this year? And with the tender I believe you get that teams pick, so if the Patriots signed him we'd get the 31st pick. I could see the Patriots doing that. The only thing that may stop them is they already have Wes Welker coming up on his free agency, so I don't know if they would invest two huge contracts in receivers in one offseason.

X-Terminator
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Doubtful, considering that both of those teams would have to dump a lot of salary and some pretty good players, plus a 1st round pick, if they sign him to the kind of contract Schefter mentioned. The Bengals are a possibility, but you have to remember who is in charge of that team. Mike Brown won't spend money to upgrade the Bungles' practice facility and wouldn't pay to fly his scouts to the combine in the past. What makes anyone think he'd all of a sudden give Wallace a $20 million roster bonus even if it hurts the Steelers? This situation is a concern, but it works both ways.

zulater
02-22-2012, 12:30 PM
If Wallace does leave, good chance Ward and Cotcherty both come back. If he stays both may be gone.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't they have an extra first round pick this year? And with the tender I believe you get that teams pick, so if the Patriots signed him we'd get the 31st pick. I could see the Patriots doing that. The only thing that may stop them is they already have Wes Welker coming up on his free agency, so I don't know if they would invest two huge contracts in receivers in one offseason.

The Pats have a ton of early draft picks each year. When was the last time they used one to get a RFA?

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
The reason I am not confident that the Steelers keep Wallace, is that the Steelers are really in trouble in the salary cap.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
The reason I am not confident that the Steelers keep Wallace, is that the Steelers are really in trouble in the salary cap.

We can still tender him and be fine. It'll only be around $3.5 million to do so.

And like I said, very rarely do RFAs end up leaving.

Steeldude
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM

The Patriots do have two 1st rounders this year.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
We can still tender him and be fine. It'll only be around $3.5 million to do so.

And like I said, very rarely do RFAs end up leaving.

The difference now is only a first round choice .....

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
The Patriots do have two 1st rounders this year.

They always have a ton of early round picks and to my knowledge, haven't put in an offer sheet on a player anytime recently.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
By my very rough estimations, a Roethlisberger restructure can probably save around 5-6 million and a Harrison restrucutre cann save around 2-3. That'll put us to being over the cap by roughly 2-4 million which can be made up in cutting players (Hampton is the first obvious choice based on the 8 million owed though I'm still not positive how that can work out with the injury).

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
To be honest, the next 3 weeks will be very long for me.

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
I still don't think we lose Wallace.

Draft picks are like gold to the Patriots, and their trouble isn't their offense it's their defense. Hell, of Gronkowski was healthy the Pats would have probably won the Super Bowl, if not on that last Hail Mairy pass before that because Gronk would have been more of a weapon. Not to mention they are going to be resigning Welker, and he's going to get a nice contract. He did lead the league in receptions last season, had a bunch of yards, and is Tom Brady's favorite target.

The San Francisco 49ers...does he even fit their style of offense? And I know that receiver is a need, and I have them taking one in my mock draft at the moment...but a guy that's totally different from Wallace. The 49ers just don't seem like a team that's a deep throw team, so Wallace wouldn't really be that great of a fit.

The Bengals, I don't see them wanting to give the Steelers a first round draft pick. Yeah, they hurt the Steelers by taking Wallace...but then they resign Cotchery and he can be the #2 receiver to Brown or Sanders starts across from Brown. The Bengals already have a deep threat in A.J. Green, they need a guy who would play the role that T.J. Houzyermomma did when he was a Bengal. Not to mention that first round pick can be used to take DeCastro, the best guard in the draft (or trade up and take him) and then they could sit pat at #24 and take Dont'a Hightower who would be a beast in our defense.

The Baltimore Ravens have Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith. They are going to have to shell out some money this offseason to Joe Flacco and Ray Rice. They don't have the need for Wallace, and they might not have the cap room available after signing those two to add the type of contract it would take for Wallace to leave the Steelers for the Ravens. Matt Birk and Ben Grubbs are also free agents that they might want to keep.

Those are the four teams that Schefty says are the biggest threat to take Wallace? They would all be willing to give up a first round draft pick to do so. The Steelers also have the option of franchising Wallace which means we'd get two first rounders if a team really wanted him. Also, Wallace has to actually sign the offer from another team for it to mean anything. If he doesn't want to play for that team, then he won't sign it. Then, the tender isn't even worth the paper it was printed on. If he wants to stay a Steeler, he will be willing to work out a long-term deal that works for both the Steelers and himself.

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2012, 01:01 PM
By my very rough estimations, a Roethlisberger restructure can probably save around 5-6 million and a Harrison restrucutre cann save around 2-3. That'll put us to being over the cap by roughly 2-4 million which can be made up in cutting players (Hampton is the first obvious choice based on the 8 million owed though I'm still not positive how that can work out with the injury).

Not to mention Aaron Smith is likely to retire (and if he doesn't I think he will be released) so he would be off the books. Kemoeatu is going to be cut, so he is off the books. With Starks' injury, he will probably be released, along with the possibility of Hampton being released too. Hoke retired, so he too is off of the books. If we were to draft Dont'a Hightower, then the Steelers would also be able to release either Foote or Farrior (if not both) which would be even more cap room.

We should be under the salary cap by more than enough to franchise Wallace if we needed to and then work out a long term deal to get that cap number to something more reasonable.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers

Restricted free agent Mike Wallace and the Steelers are working hard to get a deal done before the start of free agency, but the receiver admits that he very well could be with another team next year.

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio this afternoon, Wallace said that he would love to stay with the Steelers, but knows that might not be in the best interests of both parties involved.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace said. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do."

Wallace said that the Steelers and his agent, Bus Cook, have been in working on a contract extension.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation," Wallace said. "I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see."

Read more: Wallace discusses contract talks with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_782952.html#ixzz1n8gHxUdf

Steeltreal
02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Money talks. He wont refuse to sign with anyone being only 25

86WARD
02-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Wallace painted a very bleak picture for his return today on NFL Radio. He pretty much said with Arians leaving, a lot of questions have risen on the way he will be utilized in the future with the Steelers.

fansince'76
02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Here's a link to the audio interview on Sirius: Mike Wallace Interview (http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/mike-wallace-restricted-free-agent-wr-joined)

Bluecoat96
02-22-2012, 01:39 PM

That's the thing....with Welker being an UFA this year, they'll have to shell out a pretty penny for him. I can't see Wallace being in their plans if that's the case. They'll need to put some money into that defense as well.

BlastFurnace
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I would rather the Steelers lose Wallace than bury themselves with a huge contract that would result in more players being released this year and in the future.

I hope they can keep him, but I'm not holding my breath. If they do lose him, Sanders absolutely MUST stay healthy next season.

How much space would be created if the Steelers released Hampton and Aaron Smith? That may be the answer right there.

ALLD
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Wallace did not come across very well on Sirius with Shine baiting him on. To me he sounded like a punk with a mouth full of marbles and also lacked professionalism. His agent should have scripted him and been more diplomatic. Wallace should remember that the Steelers drafted him when nobody else would. Shine used him to blow up a story and Wallace does not seem very intelligent to fall into that trap. *Woodley did not fall for it.

suitanim
02-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Actually, all these guys THINK this way, he just came out and said it. No, he wasn't the most diplomatic about it, but he was honest. Plus, him coming out and saying that he'd give anything to stay a Steeler actually becomes a bargaining chip for THEM not him.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I'd be very surprised to see Wallace in 2012 with the steelers.

The Steelers will have only themselves to blame because the problem of salary cap.

I will be devastating.

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd be very surprised to see Wallace in 2012 with the steelers.

The Steelers will have only themselves to blame because the problem of salary cap.

I will be devastating.

I don't see how the Steelers only have themselves to blame, it's not the Steelers that lowered the salary cap down. It's not their fault that Wallace sounds like a guy that's going to take the highest dollar amount offered, even if it means signing with a perennial loser.

I thought that he would take a sensible deal to stay with the Steelers, but he came off on his Sirius interview like a guy who would like to return to Pittsburgh, but it's all about the money. I understand where he's coming from, but money can't buy happiness and if the Steelers go on to win multiple Super Bowls while he goes to another team and never plays in another one, in the end he will probably end up kicking himself.

steeldevil
02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't think the Steelers should franchise tag him, he is not worth top 5 WR money. Not close. Still too one dimensional.

Getting a 1st round pick for another team taking him is a pretty good deal for the Steelers. Allows to further shore up other positions or even draft another WR if thats how the cards fall.

Losing Wallace will not be devastating to the Steelers, in fact it may help more than hurt the team.

I'm not saying he is bad or anything, and one day he might could be a top 10/top 5 WR, but a lot of Steelers fans really overrate him. Antonio Brown is a better WR imo.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't see how the Steelers only have themselves to blame, it's not the Steelers that lowered the salary cap down. It's not their fault that Wallace sounds like a guy that's going to take the highest dollar amount offered, even if it means signing with a perennial loser.

I thought that he would take a sensible deal to stay with the Steelers, but he came off on his Sirius interview like a guy who would like to return to Pittsburgh, but it's all about the money. I understand where he's coming from, but money can't buy happiness and if the Steelers go on to win multiple Super Bowls while he goes to another team and never plays in another one, in the end he will probably end up kicking himself.

All the players want more money and that includes woodley, Polamalu, Harrison, Ben, etc.

Wallace is not different.

If Wallace wants the contract of Larry Fitzgerald, is another story, but it is not the case.

The big problem is the bad contract of Colon, Kemo is a big problem.

Without his bad contracts, the Steelers would have no problem to sign(or TAG) Wallace.

suitanim
02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
But it's always been that way (since the advent of NFL free agency anyway). Take the fat payday and go play for a bottom-feeder, or take a bit less and play for a winner. Football, because of the complexity and dependency of players on each other to perform, as well as the large number of them on the field at any given time, is the WORST sport for this. In baseball, there's no cap, so teams like the Yankees can buy who they want. In basketball, one guy makes a huge difference. It's usually the worst teams in football that have the fat wallet to pay the best players to come and play for them for a few years. Rarely does it ever work out.

The Duke
02-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I would rather the Steelers lose Wallace than bury themselves with a huge contract that would result in more players being released this year and in the future.

Agreed

unless you're Jerry Rice, a wide receiver does not carry a team. Give him a fair offer and if he doesn't want it then we just have more money for young talent in the next few years

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Give him a fair offer and if he doesn't want it then we just have more money for young talent in the next few years

The problem is that the Steelers are so in trouble in the salary cap, they will perhaps be unable to offer a fair contract to Wallace.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
We're not going to be giving Wallace a long-term deal unless it's really reasonably for us. Because of the cap space, it'd be near the same amount as tagging him.

He will be given a first round tender. It is very likely no other teams put in an offer sheet. Simple as that. Hopefully the cap will be in better shape this year.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Colbert said the other day that the team did spend fairly lavishly during the uncapped year to try and get us to the Super Bowl (which to their credit, they did). But now it's coming back to bite us and shows why the team is always so quiet in FA.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 03:32 PM
We're not going to be giving Wallace a long-term deal unless it's really reasonably for us. Because of the cap space, it'd be near the same amount as tagging him.

He will be given a first round tender. It is very likely no other teams put in an offer sheet. Simple as that. Hopefully the cap will be in better shape this year.

With all the information that I heard past several days, it is very unlikely that Wallace did not an offer from another team.

BlastFurnace
02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
With all the information that I heard past several days, it is very unlikely that Wallace did not an offer from another team.

Remember how Yancey Thigpen was recruited at the 1997 Pro Bowl by the Titans players playing in that game. Don't be surprised if guys from other teams did the same with Wallace. Recruiting happens.

fansince'76
02-22-2012, 03:38 PM

If that's the case, it's tampering. FA period hasn't started yet.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Remember how Yancey Thigpen was recruited at the 1997 Pro Bowl by the Titans players playing in that game. Don't be surprised if guys from other teams did the same with Wallace. Recruiting happens.

If Wallace goes with the patriots, he will be really very good with Tom Brady and this is the worst nightmare for me.

terrible,terrible nightmare....it will be very very,very painful for me:no:

Count Steeler
02-22-2012, 03:47 PM
If Wallace chooses to look out for himself, so be it. He is entitled. If he thinks that the Steelers are serious contenders for the SB next year, he may take a pay cut. But hearing the rumblings that either SF or NE are willing to bite, why not hold out for the most money. SF and NE are legitimate contenders for the SB.

Business is business. Hate seeing players leave, but that is life in this NFL.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:10 PM
If that's the case, it's tampering. FA period hasn't started yet.

I truly believe that this information is serious.

One thing is certain, the next 3 weeks will be very long and I'm preparing for a big nightmare.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Wallace is in little control of his destiny here. If he gets tendered, it's completely out of his hands where he winds up. The teams have all the control.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Wallace is in little control of his destiny here. If he gets tendered, it's completely out of his hands where he winds up. The teams have all the control.

It's a bit out of control of Wallace and also of the steelers.

If a team makes an offer to wallace and the Steelers can not equalize because the problem of the salary cap, Wallace will leave the steelers

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Speaking of tenders, Kapinos offered an exclusive rights tender, according to rotoworld.

https://twitter.com/#!/mikebires/status/172425955741147136

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
It's a bit out of control of Wallace and also of the steelers.

If a team makes an offer to wallace and the Steelers can not equalize because the problem of the salary cap, Wallace will leave the steelers

And it's very unlikely a team makes an offer. That's my whole point.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
And it's very unlikely a team makes an offer. That's my whole point.

I would love you're right, but I read twitter since 3 days and I'd be very surprised if Wallace was not an offer of the 49ers or patriots.

Adam Schefter is very credible and not make mistakes very often.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I would love you're right, but I read twitter since 3 days and I'd be very surprised if Wallace was not an offer of the 49ers or patriots.

Schefter has been all over the place this season.

And again, look at how rarely you seem teams giving up a pick to snag an RFA.

X-Terminator
02-22-2012, 04:46 PM

Look man, I understand your concern, but the Steelers will be fine with or without Wallace. You act like it's the end of the world or the end of the Steelers, and it's not. It's one guy. If he chooses money over stability with a winning franchise, so be it. There's nothing you, I or anyone else can do about it.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Schefter has been all over the place this season.

And again, look at how rarely you seem teams giving up a pick to snag an RFA.

With the new CBA, I'm afraid that things change....very afraid

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
With the new CBA, I'm afraid that things change....very afraid

What changes in the CBA would indicate that to you?

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Look man, I understand your concern, but the Steelers will be fine with or without Wallace. You act like it's the end of the world or the end of the Steelers, and it's not. It's one guy. If he chooses money over stability with a winning franchise, so be it. There's nothing you, I or anyone else can do about it.

If he loses Wallace, possibly with patriots or maybe the 49ers, I hope that the selection of the first round will be very good!

It is true that his is not the end of the world, since losing Wallace is not like losing LeBron James, but its going to be very painful for me, but I hoped that the Steelers have an excellent draft and that the problems of the salary cap will be resolved soon.

X-Terminator
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
And besides, if a team is willing to sign Wallace away and give the Steelers a first-round pick...with their history of success with first-round picks over the past decade, that would be just fine with me. They will use it to draft yet another impact player and will make the team better in the long run, something you'd think other teams would not be willing to do, especially any AFC North team. That is more important than overpaying for Wallace.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
What changes in the CBA would indicate that to you?

It is now only one choice of the first round.

Before it was a choice of first and 3rd round.

And in addition, the teams know that the steelers are really in trouble in the salary cap.

I hope you'll be right, but it will be very long for me in the next 3 weeks to hear many rumors about Wallace.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
If he loses Wallace, possibly with patriots or maybe the 49ers, I hope that the selection of the first round will be very good!

It is true that his is not the end of the world, since losing Wallace is not like losing LeBron James, but its going to be very painful for me, but I hoped that the Steelers have an excellent draft and that the problems of the salary cap will be resolved soon.

The salary cap issues will be resolved soon, we just have to give it time. I will be upset if we do loose Mikey and I feel it would hurt the WR corp, I'm sure the Steelers will make a great first round pick in his place.

Chidi29
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
It is now only one choice of the first round.

Before it was a choice of first and 3rd round.

And in addition, the teams know that the steelers are really in trouble in the salary cap.

I hope you'll be right, but it will be very long for me in the next 3 weeks to hear many rumors about Wallace.

First round tenders existed in the past and teams put them on players. How many of them were snagged by other teams? What about players that receivered lower tenders? How many of them left?

BlastFurnace
02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Business is business. Hate seeing players leave, but that is life in this NFL.

I'm sure it doesn't go without notice how a contract can become a players worst enemy sometimes. They play a violent game and want to be paid. If the Steelers can't pay Wallace what he is worth because of cap concerns, I can't blame him for going after the money.

I also can't blame the Steelers for letting him walk if the contract someone offers him is off the charts.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
And besides, if a team is willing to sign Wallace away and give the Steelers a first-round pick...with their history of success with first-round picks over the past decade, that would be just fine with me. They will use it to draft yet another impact player and will make the team better in the long run, something you'd think other teams would not be willing to do, especially any AFC North team. That is more important than overpaying for Wallace.

You're right, but experts are going predicting a 8-8 or 9-7 season, as in 2010 and it will be a very very long off-season!

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm sure it doesn't go without notice how a contract can become a players worst enemy sometimes. They play a violent game and want to be paid. If the Steelers can't pay Wallace what he is worth because of cap concerns, I can't blame him for going after the money.

I also can't blame the Steelers for letting him walk if the contract someone offers him is off the charts.

Yeah, if we is asking way too much then it might be time for him to move on.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
You're right, but experts are going predicting a 8-8 or 9-7 season, as in 2010 and it will be a very very long off-season!

Predictions are predictions. Remember how a couple of years ago everyone was saying it was going to be Cowboys vs Bengals in the Super Bowl? Yeah, we saw how that went.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:02 PM
The salary cap issues will be resolved soon, we just have to give it time. I will be upset if we do loose Mikey and I feel it would hurt the WR corp, I'm sure the Steelers will make a great first round pick in his place.

100% agree!

shutdown
02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
To me it totally makes sense for a Ravens or 49ers or Patriot team to give up their first rounder for Wallace. All have severe needs in that position and arent giving up much in a 1st round cellar pick.

You can't argue the kinds of numbers Wallace has put up in the last two seasons, he is easily THE BEST deep threat in the league and to me proven talent always speaks alot better than unproven talent.

The only reason i see teams staying away is the price tag. Either you spent the cash with proven talent or run the risk in the draft and spend a whole lot less on unproven talent.

I agree with what Bouchette said, that the team more than likely is making the decision now on who to keep, Wallace or Brown. There is no way in hell they're keeping both...

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
To me it totally makes sense for a Ravens or 49ers or Patriot team to give up their first rounder for Wallace. All have severe needs in that position and arent giving up much in a 1st round cellar pick.

You can't argue the kinds of numbers Wallace has put up in the last two seasons, he is easily THE BEST deep threat in the league and to me proven talent always speaks alot better than unproven talent.

The only reason i see teams staying away is the price tag. Either you spent the cash with proven talent or run the risk in the draft and spend a whole lot less on unproven talent.

From what I understand about the Ravens and Patriots, they have cap issues of their own and I honestly don't think the Ravens would be able to afford him if he's asking for so much.

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Would you trust if Brown Sanders and our two best WR in 2012?

I will hope for a breakout season for Sanders!

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
From what I understand about the Ravens and Patriots, they have cap issues of their own and I honestly don't think the Ravens would be able to afford him if he's asking for so much.

cap issues for the patriots???

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Would you trust if Brown Sanders and our two best WR in 2012?

I will hope for a breakout season for Sanders!

I could trust them as I already do. The only thing is can those two make up for the deep threat that Wallace is if we lose him?

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:08 PM
First round tenders existed in the past and teams put them on players. How many of them were snagged by other teams? What about players that receivered lower tenders? How many of them left?

I wish I had the same confidence than you!

Unfortunately, I will be very nervous for 3 weeks!

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:09 PM
I could trust them as I already do. The only thing is can those two make up for the deep threat that Wallace is if we lose him?`

It is for this reason I will be destroyed if we lose Wallace.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 05:11 PM
`

It is for this reason I will be destroyed if we lose Wallace.

Losing the deep threat would certainly hurt, but who knows if Haley even has that in his offensive plan?

The Duke
02-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Losing the deep threat would certainly hurt, but who knows if Haley even has that in his offensive plan?

Haley's bringing back Sweed! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:23 PM

This one of the reasons why the loss of Wallace could be a disaster.

But of course, it would be in the worst case scenario.

Bluecoat96
02-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I could trust them as I already do. The only thing is can those two make up for the deep threat that Wallace is if we lose him?

Sanders started to come on towards the end of the year once he was healthier. Brown is a playmaker. I have every confidence that he could fill Wallace's void if need be. Someone else here mentioned something about Cotchery coming back if Wallace leaves. I'd be ok with a trio of those 3. Maybe ward comes back then?

polamalubeast
02-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Can you tell me the situation of the patriots for their salary cap?

Steeldude
02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Wallace painted a very bleak picture for his return today on NFL Radio. He pretty much said with Arians leaving, a lot of questions have risen on the way he will be utilized in the future with the Steelers.

Which means Wallace is worrying about his stats. No more "go long again and again".

Steeldude
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Can you tell me the situation of the patriots for their salary cap?

Estimated NFL Salary Cap Limit: $120,400,000
Current Patriots Total: $104,189,935
Potential 2011 Carryover: $6,668,877
Current Estimated Cap Space: $22,878,942

Butch
02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't think the Steelers should franchise tag him, he is not worth top 5 WR money. Not close. Still too one dimensional.

Getting a 1st round pick for another team taking him is a pretty good deal for the Steelers. Allows to further shore up other positions or even draft another WR if thats how the cards fall.

Losing Wallace will not be devastating to the Steelers, in fact it may help more than hurt the team.

I'm not saying he is bad or anything, and one day he might could be a top 10/top 5 WR, but a lot of Steelers fans really overrate him. Antonio Brown is a better WR imo.

Couldn't agree more!!! Wallace is a fast guy with a great name but has yet to really impress me. If we keep him for reasonable money I'm fine with that, but there are a ton of WR's out there that can do as much if not more. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

oneforthetoe
02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
The difference now is only a first round choice .....

Exactly..... before it was a first and a third. That is a pretty steep price. Now, particularly if you have an extra first round pick, that might not seem like such a steep price after all.

SteelGhost
02-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I know they're different type of WR's, but IF we lose Wallace it's important to keep Cotchery IMHO.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Could have sworn they were over. Thanks for clearing that up.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Losing Wallace would be a regression for the WR corp, but could help in other areas. There's positives and negatives in both.

tube517
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM

Dammit, Todd, bring him back! :

suitanim
02-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Speaking of accuracy of predictions, Schefter had us 7-9 and in third place in the AFC North the year we beat the Cardinals in the Super Bowl, so..........

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM

They would have to pay Welker, but it will be very possible that the patriots make an offer to Wallace.

Austin87
02-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Losing Wallace would be a regression for the WR corp, but could help in other areas. There's positives and negatives in both.

Couldn't agree more. Wallace is our best receiver and probably one of the best if not the best deep threats in the league. If he stays there is a good chance that we don't keep AB next year. If Wallace goes we get a 1st round pick.

86WARD
02-23-2012, 08:10 AM
I would think it may be easier to sign Wallace long-term now and tag Brown next year in order to try and keep that duo together for the long haul...no? Opinions?

We'd also get a better read on how good Brown is...

Bluecoat96
02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
I would think it may be easier to sign Wallace long-term now and tag Brown next year in order to try and keep that duo together for the long haul...no? Opinions?

We'd also get a better read on how good Brown is...

The salary cap is also slated to rise considerably in the next couple of years due to the added TV revenues. I don't see any reason why we couldn't keep both if we can work out our current cap issues to sign Wallace long term. We could also be rid of some bigger contracts like Harrison due to retirement in the next few years as well.

I still have to admit that the prospect of 2 first round picks is very enticing though, since we do have some options at WR currently if we do lose Wallace.

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
The more I think about it, the more I feel he'll be gone. The Steelers should have a back up plan in case it does happen.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I am completely disappointed in the steelers front office about the problem of salary cap.

They deserve to be blamed in this case and unfortunately my heart is broken right now, since I'm sure Wallace will leave the steelers.very painful

I rarely critical the steelers, but in this case, they deserve to be criticized severely because of the salary cap problem.

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I am completely disappointed in the steelers front office about the problem of salary cap.

They deserve to be blamed in this case and unfortunately my heart is broken right now, since I'm sure Wallace will leave the steelers.very painful

I rarely critical the steelers, but in this case, they deserve to be criticized severely because of the salary cap problem.

Can't really blame this on the FO when the cap pretty much wasn't an issue before the new CBA was put into place. This is one of the those things where they might have not known issues like these were going to happen.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Can't really blame this on the FO when the cap pretty much wasn't an issue before the new CBA was put into place. This is one of the those things where they might have not known issues like these were going to happen.

No other team, except the Raiders have a salary cap problem for the moment.

I'm really disappointed and it is heartbreaking

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 08:50 AM

There are other teams as well that are in trouble, for example the Jets have some issues unless they've already solved them. The Steelers will get things straight. We may lose Mikey, we might not. Only time will tell.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
There are other teams as well that are in trouble, for example the Jets have some issues unless they've already solved them. The Steelers will get things straight. We may lose Mikey, we might not. Only time will tell.

The difference is that the Steelers are in so much trouble in the salary cap, they will not be able to sign one of their best young player. I not think that another team is in trouble like that

I can not wait than the Wallace saga ends, but unfortunately there are still remains three long weeks.

The Duke
02-23-2012, 09:29 AM

we have more success than most front offices can't even dream of and you're dissapointed in them? If anything I praise them for being able to keep so much talent together for so long

Panthers and Bucs have seemingly infinite cap space and they are bottom tier franchises, to put it mildly

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
we have more success than most front offices can't even dream of and you're dissapointed in them? If anything I praise them for being able to keep so much talent together for so long

Panthers and Bucs have seemingly infinite cap space and they are bottom tier franchises, to put it mildly

I was talking only for this year that I am dissapointed

Bluecoat96
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM

Do you even read half of the articles you post on here? The Steelers are only a restructure or two away from being under the cap. If Ben and James restructure, the Steelers will be in decent shape. If Ward restructures or is cut, there's a few million more. Terminate Kemoeatu's contract, and there's some more money. I think there will be a few other cuts as well. They were prepared for this, and will be fine. If we lose Wallace, so be it. When we lost Plexico after '04, I think the team fared ok. How'd we do after Holmes was traded?

RELAX!!!!! You are driving me batty!! :p

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Do you even read half of the articles you post on here? The Steelers are only a restructure or two away from being under the cap. If Ben and James restructure, the Steelers will be in decent shape. If Ward restructures or is cut, there's a few million more. Terminate Kemoeatu's contract, and there's some more money. I think there will be a few other cuts as well. They were prepared for this, and will be fine. If we lose Wallace, so be it. When we lost Plexico after '04, I think the team fared ok. How'd we do after Holmes was traded?

RELAX!!!!! You are driving me batty!! :p

I'll admit that Wallace is one of my favorite players on the Steelers and see the leave the steelers after only 3 years is heartbreaking.:no:

X-Terminator
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
PB, I got two words for you.

Omar Khan.

The Steelers have the best capologist in the league. And you're worried they won't be able to get under the cap enough or weren't prepared for this possibility? Come on, man.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I just hear the recent comments of Colbert and I am more confident now that they will keep Wallace.

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottBrown_Trib

BlastFurnace
02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

It's time to let the older players go though...such as Hampton, Smith, Farrior, and Ward. All of us who remember the 80's remember the big mistake this franchise made with hanging on too long with the older guys.

The Steelers do a magnificant job of handling the cap, but its time to say goodbye to some older players.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
It's time to let the older players go though...such as Hampton, Smith, Farrior, and Ward. All of us who remember the 80's remember the big mistake this franchise made with hanging on too long with the older guys.

The Steelers do a magnificant job of handling the cap, but its time to say goodbye to some older players.

100% agree

tube517
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
We have a meddling owner, a worthless GM, a guy who doesn't know how to work the cap, a coach who believes in hocus pocus, a short tempered OC, an old DC, a non elite QB. I am disappointed in the whole franchise.

fansince'76
02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
We have a meddling owner, a worthless GM, a guy who doesn't know how to work the cap, a coach who believes in hocus pocus, a short tempered OC, an old DC, a non elite QB. I am disappointed in the whole franchise.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/2/128701616501961176.jpg

:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
02-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Like I've said, the last time the Steelers "lost" a young stud player that we didn't or couldn't afford to keep, was Chad Brown after his 3rd year on the team. He moved along to Seattle.

I can think of no other player since I've followed the team that "got away" from us.

We had some young guys that didn't pan out, plenty of those from Sweed to Kendrell Bell to Fu...but I can't think of any "Studs" that we let slip away.

I am not worried about Wallace.

I am also confident that the same OC that got Warner to get the 2nd greatest game in QB Super Bowl History against what was the TOP Defense in the league if not a defense that was as good as the 2000 Ravens, will be able to call plays with our current offensive skill players. Yes...they will address the O-line, as they have been with picks such as Pouncy and Gilbert. We will see another first round Oline pick I think this year.

I'm not worried. I can go into the Season with as much confidence as I do every year with the Steelers. They are going to be good enough to beat any team they face, should make it to the playoffs, and once in the playoffs, can beat any other team and can make it to and win a Super Bowl. We have a Franchise QB and a great roster. Great Coaching and Fantastic Ownership.

Go worry about the 1969 Jets or the Lions, or the Browns, or the Falcons, or the Bucs, or the Jags, or the Chargers, or the Bills or the Dolphins or the Bears or the Raiders, or the Vikings, or the Panthers, or the Redskins, or the Seahawks, or the Cowboys, or the 49ers, or the Rams, or the Bengals, or some other team that has NEVER won it all or hasn't been worth a Shiiiit in this league for DECADES.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert threw cold water Thursday on the notion that wide receiver Mike Wallace will be going anywhere this offseason.

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler. And I think that’s Mike’s hope as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it’s easier to achieve that goal,” Colbert said.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/23/colbert-we-want-mike-wallace-to-finish-career-in-pittsburgh/

Austin87
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert threw cold water Thursday on the notion that wide receiver Mike Wallace will be going anywhere this offseason.

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler. And I think that’s Mike’s hope as well. Usually when you have two parties that share the same goal, it’s easier to achieve that goal,” Colbert said.

That's some great news right there.

polamalubeast
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I am still very nervous, but I'm more confident now.

dislocatedday
02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

+1. This is the true reality. I think the franchise should also part ways with Kemoeatu and Foote in addition to those listed above.

BigNastyDefense
02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
In the end, the decision is up to Mike Wallace.

It's likely that a team is going to tender him an offer that the Steelers would be reluctant to match. Right now, the Steelers are trying to work out a long-term deal with Wallace, not just a deal off of a one-year first round tender.

If he wants to go for the money grab if a team makes that offer, then he never really wanted to stay with the Steelers. But if he wants to stay with the Steelers, then he won't sign a tender that he knows the Steelers likely won't match.

Do I want him to stay a Steeler? Yes I do, he's a good wide receiver and one of the best (if not the best) deep threat in the league. But if he leaves, I won't be crushed. The Steelers would get a second first round pick out of the deal and could then fill two spots...possibly an offensive lineman (DeCastro from Stanford or Glenn from Georgia depending on who would sign Wallace) and Dont'a Hightower (ILB from Alabama) or Poe (the NT from Memphis).

If Wallace were to be gone, I would make it a priority to resign Jerricho Cotchery to be at least the slot receiver...and them maybe draft another speedster WR in the 4th or 5th round.

Would losing Wallace suck? Yeah, it would. But in losing him, the Steelers could also upgrade in a few other spots that really need upgrades.

steelerdude15
02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I know this is really off subject, but you guys have to see what Hines posted on Twitter!

https://www.facebook.com/twitter/photo/?id=29672350944&l=cce212ecb3&pid=9214648

:rofl2:

BigNastyDefense
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I know this is really off subject, but you guys have to see what Hines posted on Twitter!

Oh. My. God.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
:sofunny: :lol: Hey dude you made my day

tube517
02-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Is that Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air?