PDA

View Full Version : Various line spots could be top target in scouting combine

stillers4me
02-22-2012, 05:41 AM
The Steelers have spent the past three years using their No. 1 draft choice to rebuild and strengthen their lines of scrimmage.

Could this be No. 4?

Is this the year they find the heir apparent to Casey Hampton, 11 years after they drafted their five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle in the first round?

Do they draft a pulling left guard to line up between young stars Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert and upgrade an offensive line that has been a problem spot the past two seasons?...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12053/1211755-66.stm#ixzz1n6smvEPM

GodfatherofSoul
02-22-2012, 11:26 AM
We need new blood on the d-line and o-line. Every other position just needs filler as far as I'm concerned.

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I hope they take an offensive lineman in the first round, I would be happy with Cordy Glenn because I don't expect David DeCastro to be there at #24 (but I wouldn't mind trading up to get DeCastro).

If we stick at #24, we can get a big defensive tackle in the second round, trading up in the second round if we have to.

If we go defense with the first round pick, I would want Alabama's Dont'a Hightower. It was obvious last season that James Farrior has lost a step or two. He's also 37 years and and could retire after this season. Larry Foote is currently the immediate backup, and while he's good against the run he's poor against the pass. The other backups at ILB are unproven and might not be better than depth and special teams players. Hightower would likely push for Farrior's starting spot, and at worst sit part or all of the season as a backup and then start next season. We would then have the combo of Timmons and Hightower for a good while.

ALLD
02-22-2012, 02:26 PM
We need lineman on both sides of the ball as #1 priority.

steelreserve
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
I think we need to think about NT more than OL, and also a future S if the right guy is available. And I would never be surprised to see us draft a linebacker in the first two rounds, no matter who's on the roster in front of them or how many we've drafted in recent years.

Realistically, I think unless a real bargain falls to us, we wait until round 3+ to draft OL.

Count Steeler
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I would not be surprised if we go ILB in the first round. Let's face it, we are getting pretty thin there and that is a vital position on our D. If all our O Linemen get healthy, we are really only a G from being a formidable line. The D Line needs a nose tackle and some depth.

With Farrior, Foote, Timmons and Sylvester as our ILBs, we are getting weak there. Farrior is already a part timer, Foote as well and Sylvester hasn't impressed enough to play as starters role when we needed him. So really, our only legit ILB is Timmons and he had a sub par year. Not a lot of confidence up the middle on our defense right now.

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
We need a guard!

steelreserve
02-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I still don't think guard is such a pressing need that we spend a top draft pick on it. You can fake it a lot better at guard than tackle or center. Definitely the easiest of the OL positions to have a low-round rookie step in immediately, find a cheapish FA, or move someone over from another position.

SteelGhost
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I know both sides of the line and the ILB are top priorities, but ... do you think there is a possibility to pick a QB (if there is someone worth in the 3rd or 4rd rounds) ?, we are VERY thin at that position :noidea:

Of course I'm talking about a backup QB :chuckle:

steelerdude15
02-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I know both sides of the line and the ILB are top priorities, but ... do you think there is a possibility to pick a QB (if there is someone worth in the 3rd or 4rd rounds) ?, we are VERY thin at that position :noidea:

We just did sign Smith so I don't think that will be a priority, but we should release or trade Dennis Dixon.

steelreserve
02-23-2012, 02:08 AM

Might not be a bad idea, since it looks like thanks to our cap situation, we're pretty much stuck with whatever backup we can get low in the draft or is willing the play for the league minimum. I've had it with Batch and Dixon, and Smith is just horrible unless he suddenly got a ton better without playing and I didn't notice.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Might not be a bad idea, since it looks like thanks to our cap situation, we're pretty much stuck with whatever backup we can get low in the draft or is willing the play for the league minimum. I've had it with Batch and Dixon, and Smith is just horrible unless he suddenly got a ton better without playing and I didn't notice.

Me too SR, and Leftwitch.....I don't know if he will be healthy, anyway he's not so great anyway :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Me too SR, and Leftwitch.....I don't know if he will be healthy, anyway he's not so great anyway :chuckle:

I'd be happy with Leftwich and Troy Smith as backups.

SteelGhost
02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I'd be happy with Leftwich and Troy Smith as backups.

Over Batch and DIxon ? Yep, that sounds ok ..... if Byron is healthy imo

The Duke
02-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Just keep Ben and Leftwich in bubblewrap all preseason

let Smith and some rookie battle it out for the #3 job